Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Big fan of McGregor but after watching all of this tour so far, Aldo is miles ahead in terms of being a professional.

I dont agree with people complaining about McGregor being rude and acting the prick (take a look at Ali and the rest), but damn Aldo is cool as ****.. Just doesnt give a **** and seems to be a genuinely decent guy.

Dont really care who wins... Id say will be a cracker of a fight

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dear lord...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Conor says he's the king of Dublin and assertively sits back, sliding his shoes onto the table.
    Aldo in an attempt to match the brashness, also lifts his shoes onto the table. No sooner have Aldo's feet hit the table and Conor swoops in, takes the belt, and lifts it high. The sound those fans made at that moment was deafening, and is still probably echoing around the convention centre.

Social media is still going crazy. The video is raking in millions of views on different websites. People I know who can't spell UFC, are sharing the video excited for 189. This was a press conference and press was got at no actual loss. Aldo's push on Mendes last year, screams classlessness louder than Conor's antics did tonight.

Anyone thinking Conor should be contrite after snatching that belt, is heavily overreacting and slightly missing the point of why they were there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I pray to almighty god that Aldo sparks McGregor the fcuk out! What a horrible man.

I won't be happy until I see McGregor's teeth flying across the octagon as he crumples lifelessly to the canvas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

MrStuffins wrote: »
    But the people who turned up weren't Irish MMA fans, they were Irish McGregor fans. Bandwagon jumping clowns, most of who have probably never seen Jose Aldo fight live before outside of You tube clips.

That's exactly how I feel, they were McGregor fans who only went to see McGregor. I couldn't believe the disrespect Aldo was shown. The guy is one of the greatest fighters ever. He knocked out Cub Swanson with double flying knees to the face! They made a laughing stock of us Irish MMA fans, I'm glad I'm not the only one pissed off over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

The lad who came on about 20 minutes in asking Aldo does he know the word "Spanked" is possibly the cringiest thing I have ever seen in my life. An utter embarrassment to his country and to MMA

The baffling irony of people hating Conor for his antics posting stuff like this;
    I won't be happy until I see McGregor's teeth flying across the octagon as he crumples lifelessly to the canvas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Those fans at the Q and A were a disgrace. Not only giving dogs abuse to Aldo, but they were booing anyone who asked a question that wasn't Irish. FFS, glad I wasn't able to get a ticket to it now.

FFS, glad I wasn't able to get a ticket to it now.

Whatever makes you feel better about missing out. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I remember liking McGregor and thinking he was great for the sport, . Not sure what the popular opinion of him is in this forum but I think it's a shame he has handled himself with such a lack of class over the last year and can't see myself rooting for him vs Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anybody see a divide forming here? Most of the newer fans to our sport and bandwagoners screaming for Mcgregor, even after last nights shenanigans, but long time MMA fans disgusted and trying to distance themselves from him

scudzilla wrote: »
    Anybody see a divide forming here? Most of the newer fans to our sport and bandwagoners screaming for Mcgregor, even after last nights shenanigans, but long time MMA fans disgusted and trying to distance themselves from him

'Our sport' says it all. MMA must have hit the levels where the hipster superiority complex is now in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

In Conor's defence the nature of the sport lends itself to this type of thing. The question and answer session format was always going to be a raucous affair.

It is a shame though - and I am a sports fan not a MMA fan - that a man of Jose Aldo's reputation would be treated quite so badly on Irish soil.

Keep the comments coming people. I will eventually make my mind up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

The lad who came on about 20 minutes in asking Aldo does he know the word "Spanked" is possibly the cringiest thing I have ever seen in my life. An utter embarrassment to his country and to MMA

Belongs in an addiction clinic how on earth that chap got a ticket is beyond me,a disgrace along with the guy saying Aldo your ****,bloody hell:) ,they should have watched from the bar

I'm disappointed by the fans at the conference. But I understand that mob mentality takes over.
    But Conor is selling the fight, its all promo. People need to remember that and leave the high horses at home, and enjoy the build up and most of all the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 diddle25

It was a great showing and atmosphere for about 20 mins. You can be certain that 90% of the Irish contingent that travels to Vegas will not be made up of complete bandwagoners. It's a lot of money to be spending. And sure plenty of them lads will be able to have fights outside the bar that night themselves.

I'm just glad that the tour is now over. All the stare offs and trash talking is starting to get a bit too much. Takes away from the anticipation in the immediate run up to the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Surprised at how many people left after the Aldo McGregor break

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Surprised at how many people left after the Aldo McGregor break

To be fair though there were already people queuing when I got there about 3:30ish. It was very windy and cold and we didn't get in the building until about 4:45 I think. Then inside there were no seats, and the event didn't start until 6:30 . I think some people were just a bit tired as it was a long time to be standing. There were also quite a few families in attendance so I am sure the parents were wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Bit of a change of pace from what we usually hear from McGregor:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2015/0401/691236-modest-mcgregor-just-hoping-to-do-his-best/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd say the vast majority of long time MMA fans in Ireland (myself included) are delighted with the exposure the sport is getting and want to see all Irish fighters do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Benny Cake wrote: »

http://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2015/0401/691236-modest-mcgregor-just-hoping-to-do-his-best/

What's the date today?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

I don't know why so many are up in arms.

Sure it was a bit of a farce, but they all are. I thought most of it was in good humour, more so than the brasil one.

Yeah one or two idiots got their 15 seconds of attention, but most of it was just having the craic. It is a fight after all, so there's going to be a fair deal of insults flying.

Thought the young fella looking for an advance on his first pay cheque was hilarious.

Conor grabbing the belt was brilliant stuff for the build up. Mission accomplished for the tour.

I dunno, I think people should relax a bit. It wasn't a bad reflection on anyone but a couple of to be expected morons. The American forums are lapping it up. They didn't see much harm bar the few forever-outraged folks.

Lot of beards though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Benny Cake wrote: »

Ah man come on, how could you fall for that:)

I saw the title for 9.45pm on setanta, came home from the gym, made a meal and put my feet up thinking, brilliant, just the ticket. I'm an MMA fan years not because of but since around the time of TUF 2.

I thought this was shocking bad to be fair. from the beginning you could always anticipate that ole ole ole interrupting everything but despite the junkie/drunk, there were a lot of normal type gys asking questions that were cringey in the extreme. Every time I'd see a guy at the mike I'd go , here we go, sense prevails, only to have them start with heor connnooorr and finish with "like a bitch".

Thanks god judging by the forums today, it's not nearly representative of irish MMA fans, true fans, who actually realise and know how special it is a thing to even make the UFC, host an event in your own town, be courted by media and DANA white and finally get a shot to share square footage with a legend in Jose aldo!! c'mon sure if he's down in the first he's come miles in a short time, so fair play onward and upward to conor McGregor. I'll root for him myself in heart but in mind you've got to consider the beast within aldo.

shame all them ****wits got tickets and took over the show, bandwagoners in the extreme!! they'll be tearing their sunday world pull outs up if conor is beaten where real fans will be looking forward to his next fight, IF not When he's beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

The "fan" behaviour in Dublin yesterday was much worse that anywhere else on the tour. Conor intentionally tries to get a rise out of other fighters and their fans and he is great at it. He is looking to get a reaction and appears pleased with it. Brazil fans rising to the bait is very different to what happened yesterday when we had one on the most dominant champions of all time here who has acted professional and respectful throughout the tour and subjected him to a torrent of personal abuse. And the guy trying to justify it all by the fact that Conor is the hometown boy is wrong - you can support your own without resorting to calling a future hall of famer a b*$ch, and slagging the scar on his face etc. And that guy going on about the spanking - wtf? It would be interesting to see if any of these people would make the same comments to Aldo face to face and one on one - doubt it very much. All in all a bad day for Irish MMA but this fact will always be lost on those involved - "sure we were having the craic!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

SeanFrank wrote: »
    It is a fight after all, so there's going to be a fair deal of insults flying.

Sorry, but I don't get it....in boxing or other contact sports, there isn't this level of abuse being hurled at opponents, there is a level of respect, so why, in your opinion is MMA excused from having basic decency, why is it ok to hurl insults to the level seen at that press conference, calling someone a "bitch", a "pussy", and saying "F&*k YOU" to them is ok to you, what planet are you from? This reminds me of the scumbags that were on anti water protests who used it as an excuse to act like aggressive apes under the guise of it all being for the "cause".

People had children there, did those alco scum think it was acceptable to hurl around filthy language like that in front of kids, obviously that's a rhetorical question, but why did they?I thought Conor came across very well on The Notorious documentary and it's all been enjoyable banter up to now, but I found yesterday's circus completely not sporting or good natured in any sense.

Badly organised as well, the press should have been allowed set up up the front, and the toothless peasants with their pints of cider should have been at the back, allowing Dana to hear the questions being asked for a start. As it was, the press asked about 5 questions and ran away after that, although, I don't blame them.

Jaysus, a few drunk lads asking a few stupid questions, but here you'd think the sky had fallen down reading some of the posts! A few Chicken Lickens and Henny Penny's joining up especially to say what a national disgrace this was!
    Personally I laughed hard a number of times watching this and thought it was great entertainment. The kid was very funny, and even yer man who said he couldnt do maths!
    I cringed a few times at the drunken clowns but people say stupid things after 5+ pints, just like they did in Brazil and just like they do in the US during these things. No different here. We are not a special nation at handling our alcohol. We might drink more of it, but get just as stupid as everyone else!

The only thing I felt sorry for was Jose's piece of gum, it got the fastest, most unmerciful nervous chewing for 45 minutes a poor piece of gum has every been subjected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Personally I laughed hard a number of times watching this and thought it was great entertainment.

Says more about you really than anyone else posting, just because people don't agree with you, it doesn't make them wrong and you right.

• Advertisement

Babooshka wrote: »
    Says more about you really than anyone else posting, just because people don't agree with you, it doesn't make them wrong and you right.

Yeah course it does. Shame on me for being a glass half full rather then half empty type of person. Much better to be negative about everything, not enjoy one of the the most explosive press conference probably ever in the UFC. Much better to hate, and be shocked and appalled.
    No my friend, Im going to enjoy this ride while it lasts, and laugh when I can. It could be the first and last UFC title coming to Ireland, one thing is for sure Im going to be happy if it does and not cheering from my countryman to lose because of a few drunks at a press conference; and some concept of 'respect' when two lads are going into a cage to beat the living daylights out of each other. Prize fighting is not about 'respect' it never, ever, has been.
    All of this is hurting Jose, the embedded series he was saying he was going to rise up and talk loads of **** in Ireland. He barely said a word and bottled it. All he did was chew at 100 miles an hour. All is good in the preparation to bring the belt to Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement