Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Yeah course it does. Shame on me for being a glass half full rather then half empty type of person. Much better to be negative about everything, not enjoy one of the the most explosive press conference probably ever in the UFC. Much better to hate, and be shocked and appalled.

Prize fighting is not about 'respect' it never, ever, has been.

Being negative, ha ha, funny. The drunks cursing their heads off are the only negative in this situation. Arguing with your viewpoint is not negative IMO. And for your information, Conor McGregor himself said that he respected all fighters aiming for what he wants, that he cannot but respect them. And then he acts like he has no respect at all for Aldo. I am no thick and I do realise showmanship and bravado when I see it, I don't have issue with that. I do have issue with neanderthal brainless alcos hurtling foul language at a guest in our country though, funny enough. We'll leave it at that I think.

Yeah course it does. Shame on me for being a glass half full rather then half empty type of person. Much better to be negative about everything, not enjoy one of the the most explosive press conference probably ever in the UFC. Much better to hate, and be shocked and appalled.
    No my friend, Im going to enjoy this ride while it lasts, and laugh when I can. It could be the first and last UFC title coming to Ireland, one thing is for sure Im going to be happy if it does and not cheering from my countryman to lose because of a few drunks at a press conference; and some concept of 'respect' when two lads are going into a cage to beat the living daylights out of each other. Prize fighting is not about 'respect' it never, ever, has been.
    All of this is hurting Jose, the embedded series he was saying he was going to rise up and talk loads of **** in Ireland. He barely said a word and bottled it. All he did was chew at 100 miles an hour. All is good in the preparation to bring the belt to Ireland.

I think both yours and the other posters points are lost in translation here. No ones saying yesterday will change their view on conor McGregor. the simple fact is the level of abuse and questioning was bordering on retarded. Like so many had said before. a free room with a world champ and all we could muster was, ya bitch, **** you etc. One thing that really got on me was when the Brazilian girl made her voice known, she got the finger!! classy alright!!

rusty cole wrote: »
    I think both yours and the other posters points are lost in translation here. No ones saying yesterday will change their view on conor McGregor. the simple fact is the level of abuse and questioning was bordering on retarded. Like so many head said before. a free room with a world champ and all we could muster was, ya bitch, Fick you etc. One thing that really got on me was when the Brazilian girl made her voice known, she got the finger!! classy alright!!

I think one chap in this thread recently said he hoped even more now Conor gets knocked out lol.

I just think when you put alcohol at a press conference in any place in the world and then give the mic to the fans, a certain percentage is going to be nonsense and idiocy. But for me that doesn't ruin the whole thing, those few people can be ignored. I could choose to get pissed off after that clown who mentioned Jose's father, and knickers and have that ruin the whole spectacle for me, but instead I prefer to enjoy the rest of it and just ignore those stupid things. I saw the pressers in Brazil and what they were chanting at Conor, those moments of stupidity at pressers are now part of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Babooshka wrote: »

People had children there, did those alco scum think it was acceptable to hurl around filthy language like that in front of kids,

I was going to post the 'think of the children' meme yesterday. I was right in thinking just give it time and someone else will trot it out.

The global reaction to the Irish fans yesterday was neutral at worst. Yes It was embarrassing in parts. However this self deprecation and mutual backslapping after expressing faux outrage is pathetic. Move passed it.

I was going to post the 'think of the children' meme yesterday. I was right in thinking just give it time and someone else will trot it out.

The global reaction to the Irish fans yesterday was neutral at worst. Yes It was embarrassing in parts. However this self deprecation and mutual backslapping after expressing faux outrage is pathetic. Move passed it.

I'm not trotting anything out. I shall give you the same advice... you move past thinking what I said was a cliche, and actually think of what I said instead of brushing it off. Cliches become cliches because they're generally used a lot - because there is truth in them.

• Advertisement

I think one chap in this thread recently said he hoped even more now Conor gets knocked out lol.

I just think when you put alcohol at a press conference in any place in the world and then give the mic to the fans, a certain percentage is going to be nonsense and idiocy. But for me that doesn't ruin the whole thing, those few people can be ignored. I could choose to get pissed off after that clown who mentioned Jose's father, and knickers and have that ruin the whole spectacle for me, but instead I prefer to enjoy the rest of it and just ignore those stupid things. I saw the pressers in Brazil and what they were chanting at Conor, those moments of stupidity at pressers are now part of the game.

Nah I wouldn't hope he gets knocked out at all. I hope he wins. One thing though, it should have been handled better from a logistical standpoint, this may have reduced the village idiot ratio! It's over and done with now I agree, just a shame we couldn't get more out of it I think. It could have been just as good with less ole ole chanting and real Q&A. I watched the new York one last night and it was brilliant. at least all questions could be heard and addressed in turn. and at least they were questions and not abusive statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

No my friend, Im going to enjoy this ride while it lasts, and laugh when I can. It could be the first and last UFC title coming to Ireland, one thing is for sure Im going to be happy if it does and not cheering from my countryman to lose because of a few drunks at a press conference; and some concept of 'respect' when two lads are going into a cage to beat the living daylights out of each other. Prize fighting is not about 'respect' it never, ever, has been.
    All of this is hurting Jose, the embedded series he was saying he was going to rise up and talk loads of **** in Ireland. He barely said a word and bottled it. All he did was chew at 100 miles an hour. All is good in the preparation to bring the belt to Ireland.

So much wrong in this post. I don't know where to begin.

The press conference wasn't explosive it just allowed drunk people to ask questions. Same would happen anywhere else if it was organised in such a poor format. Fair enough it had a great atmosphere but by the end it was simply embarrassing.

To say the sport it not about respect and never has been is utter drivel and absolute nonsense.

I'm not trotting anything out. I shall give you the same advice... you move past thinking what I said was a cliche, and actually think of what I said instead of brushing it off. Cliches become cliches because they're generally used a lot - because there is truth in them.

Lots of words typed, nothing actually said.

The language yesterday was comparable, but no worse, than any League of Ireland or GAA match up and down the country. Stop being outraged for others.

Lots of words typed, nothing actually said.

The language yesterday was comparable, but no worse, than any League of Ireland or GAA match up and down the country. Stop being outraged for others.

No you're wrong.

No you're wrong.

How?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

After this media week, there won't be an MMA fan not watching the Aldo v McGregor fight come July. The two of them will make a killing from it. I can't wait!

I think McGregor has the advantage in the stand-up. Aldo has taken a few beatings, especially in his recent fight vs Mendes and Conor will hit him. Can he knock him out? From what I've seen of Conor, yes.

Jose's power double and BJJ black belt/wrestling could be a game changer if he can keep Conor down. We've seen it time and time again that Jose gets hit and immediately slams his opponent to the ground. Conor's no slouch on the ground, but one would have to assume a long time black belt would have the upper hand against a relatively newly promoted brown belt.

TL;DR- I can't wait!

Trond wrote: »
    So much wrong in this post. I don't know where to begin.

The press conference wasn't explosive it just allowed drunk people to ask questions. Same would happen anywhere else if it was organised in such a poor format. Fair enough it had a great atmosphere but by the end it was simply embarrassing.

To say the sport it not about respect and never has been is utter drivel and absolute nonsense.

So I suppose grabbing the belt wasn't explosive.

Ok well lets give you a little history lesson in MMA shall we?

Lets go through some of the old champions, and how the sport actually got where it is today by promotion, smack talk and lack of respect. I would go as far as to say without this lack of respect there wouldn't even be a UFC today.
    Start with Ken Shamrock the Worlds Most Dangerous Man, who made a living from talking **** to people before fights, hyping them and telling people he was the best bar none.
    Then we had Tank Abbot, who was brought ringside when he wasn't fighting just so he could talk **** about other UFC fighters and add to the tension and potential other matchups.
    Then we had Tito Ortiz the second most dominant champion ever in the sport who used to dig graves for his opponents when he won, constantly talk smack before and after the fight. The guy who single handedly kept the organsiation afloat by bringing in PPV numbers hyping and talking smack. Go back and watch his interviews before the Randy fight and see how much smack he was talking about him, a guy who never said anything about anyone.
    We have Nick Diaz one of the sports biggest draws and most popular fighters, who talks smack permanently, you dont remember his radio call with GSP? Steroids, aliens, pampering.
    Then we come to Chael who broke all the records and numbers, made the most tension filled fight ever in the company, purely through smack talk and a lack of respect.
    So I dont know what sport you've been watching down through the years.

How?

I have already said why I think you and people holding similar views to you are wrong ie. that on a global platform, resorting to screaming "F*&k you", and hurling insults like bitch and pussy, well, it's not something I've seen happen at any GAA press conference before as a habit, maybe where you live they do it but don't televise it perhaps? It's wrong to be an enabler or an apologist for behavior like that. It's that simple.

I have already said why I think you and people holding similar views to you are wrong ie. that on a global platform, resorting to screaming "F*&k you", and hurling insults like bitch and pussy, well, it's not something I've seen happen at any GAA press conference before as a habit, maybe where you live they do it but don't televise it perhaps? It's wrong to be an enabler or an apologist for behavior like that. It's that simple.

I'm not an apologist for the embarrassing questions yesterday. They were cringeworthy and it's a pity the opportunity to ask better questions wasn't seized by more than the few who did ask good questions.

However, this idea that yesterday's event was so outrageous and the language used was grossly reprehensible, is nonsense. Some awful and disrespectful language was used, but the picture you painted previously suggested this was exclusive to yesterday's event.
    Not content in just saying you were unhappy with parts of it, as all of us are, you adopted the feelings of others to extend 'your outrage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Dana squeezed into a size 'S' Ireland jersey was disgusting by the way.

Looked like a fcking granny smith

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think after yesterday press conference people who think MMA is a thug's sports will feel there views are fully warranted,
    Serious some of the folks on the mike where an embarrassment it was serious cringe,
    With the publicity it got it can't be good for trying to make MMA a main stream sports.
    They really shouldn't serve alcohol if there going to let the crowd ask questions its a no brainer,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,038 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Looked very 3rd world alright.

Bad omen for McGregor:

Aldo doesn't normally go more than two decisions in a row before finishing someone.

His last two fights were decisions :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Bad omen for McGregor:

Aldo doesn't normally go more than two decisions in a row before finishing someone.

His last two fights were decisions :eek:

Aaaand (I've said it before) the only two people to beat McGregor were the only two people with 'J's in their name (Joseph and Artemij)

I'm not an apologist for the embarrassing questions yesterday. They were cringeworthy and it's a pity the opportunity to ask better questions wasn't seized by more than the few who did ask good questions.

However, this idea that yesterday's event was so outrageous and the language used was grossly reprehensible, is nonsense. Some awful and disrespectful language was used, but the picture you painted previously suggested this was exclusive to yesterday's event.
    Not content in just saying you were unhappy with parts of it, as all of us are, you adopted the feelings of others to extend 'your outrage'.

I've no idea what you're waffling about to be honest. I gave my opinion which seems to be outraging you, but just get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Conors surely going to have a brutal weight cut ahead of him on the run up as he currently looks at least a stone heavier than Aldo whenever they stand in close proximity. Anyone know approx how much lbs over the weigh-in limit Conor walks around at between fights and how much he loses in the 2-3 weeks before the actual fight?. Hes always been very professional about weighing in but i hope it doesnt weaken him to a bad degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

califano wrote: »
    Conors surely going to have a brutal weight cut ahead of him on the run up as he currently looks at least a stone heavier than Aldo whenever they stand in close proximity. Anyone know approx how much lbs over the weigh-in limit Conor walks around at between fights and how much he loses in the 2-3 weeks before the actual fight?. Hes always been very professional about weighing in but i hope it doesnt weaken him to a bad degree.

170 lbs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

His walk around weight is around 165lbs so he drops 20lbs to be on the button.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

So I suppose grabbing the belt wasn't explosive.

Ok well lets give you a little history lesson in MMA shall we?

Lets go through some of the old champions, and how the sport actually got where it is today by promotion, smack talk and lack of respect. I would go as far as to say without this lack of respect there wouldn't even be a UFC today.
    Start with Ken Shamrock the Worlds Most Dangerous Man, who made a living from talking **** to people before fights, hyping them and telling people he was the best bar none.
    Then we had Tank Abbot, who was brought ringside when he wasn't fighting just so he could talk **** about other UFC fighters and add to the tension and potential other matchups.
    Then we had Tito Ortiz the second most dominant champion ever in the sport who used to dig graves for his opponents when he won, constantly talk smack before and after the fight. The guy who single handedly kept the organsiation afloat by bringing in PPV numbers hyping and talking smack. Go back and watch his interviews before the Randy fight and see how much smack he was talking about him, a guy who never said anything about anyone.
    We have Nick Diaz one of the sports biggest draws and most popular fighters, who talks smack permanently, you dont remember his radio call with GSP? Steroids, aliens, pampering.
    Then we come to Chael who broke all the records and numbers, made the most tension filled fight ever in the company, purely through smack talk and a lack of respect.
    So I dont know what sport you've been watching down through the years.

Eh? Your missing the point I think. All the examples you give are fighters thrash talking fighters. That is not the same as a bunch of drunk idiots hurling insults at one of the best fighters on the planet. Conor's smack talk is different, he is a professional athlete trying to get an advantage over his opponent and whether you agree with the tactics or not, he is entitled to do it. Those muppets there yesterday should not even be in the same room as aldo, never mind hurling insults at him. Some people being very defensive about the crowds behaviour, which of the questions did ye ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

califano wrote: »

He said he was 170 on one of the recent embedded videos. Not a pleasant weight cut alright but he seems to manage it without too many problems. So far anyway.

EoineyM wrote: »
    Eh? Your missing the point I think. All the examples you give are fighters thrash talking fighters. That is not the same as a bunch of drunk idiots hurling insults at one of the best fighters on the planet. Conor's smack talk is different, he is a professional athlete trying to get an advantage over his opponent and whether you agree with the tactics or not, he is entitled to do it. Those muppets there yesterday should not even be in the same room as aldo, never mind hurling insults at him. Some people being very defensive about the crowds behaviour, which of the questions did ye ask?

Yes they were trash talking fighters but, they are the ones who brought in the revenue and the fans, and kept the sport going. Without Tito Ortiz I dont think we would have the UFC today. Tito is about the worst sportsman out there whether he wins or loses.

If we are talking purely about the crowd last night and their lack of respect, I wouldn't say Im being defensive about it, but I dont see what the big fuss is about. If it was a sober crowd I would be shocked, but they give them alcohol at these pressers so they will get this kind of atmosphere. Once people are drunk you can hardly expect the language to be clean or the insults to be softly softly whether it be in the pub or at a press conference.
    The Brazilian fans were equally as bad, they were drunk too.

Complaining about bad language in front of kids in a sport where the owner is about the most foul mouthed man in sports is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. If parents take their kids along to that, they could expect nothing less then a bit of bad language, that would be the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

some great chat on Joe Duffy
    it's horrible joe they kick each other in the head joe

some great chat on Joe Duffy
    it's horrible joe they kick each other in the head joe

Lol, does anyone have a link to that old UFC Joe Duffy interview with Wayne McCullough the first time they came to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Quick question, the fact we have no athletic commission does that mean an Irish fighter based in Ireland could juice and not be caught as long as he cycled in time for after fight testing ? or are they tested randomly like they would be in the US ?
    Iv no idea about this and am not saying the Irish fighter are before anyone goes down that road,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

Quick question, the fact we have no athletic commission does that mean an Irish fighter based in Ireland could juice and not be caught as long as he cycled in time for after fight testing ? or are they tested randomly like they would be in the US ?
    Iv no idea about this and am not saying the Irish fighter are before anyone goes down that road,

In most places without a commission especially for title fights and main events the UFC have the fighters tested themselves..being doing it for a few years now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement