Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

I'm not an apologist for the embarrassing questions yesterday. They were cringeworthy and it's a pity the opportunity to ask better questions wasn't seized by more than the few who did ask good questions.

However, this idea that yesterday's event was so outrageous and the language used was grossly reprehensible, is nonsense.

It was so outrageous and the language was so grossly reprehensible that it was on the Joe Duffy show! The idiots at that event made Irish people look like drunk loudmouth idiots. At least we know that all Irish people are not like that but people in other countries don't know that. They made an absolute show of Irish MMA fans and Irish people in general. Should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,038 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Lol, does anyone have a link to that old UFC Joe Duffy interview with Wayne McCullough the first time they came to Ireland?
    i actually have it on my phone, it's available somewhere....2 key points:
    1. The caller was a sin fein amateur boxing coach from blessington, and he contributed nothing but LIES.
    2. Wayne mccullagh couldn't win a non combat argument if he tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

It was so outrageous and the language was so grossly reprehensible that it was on the Joe Duffy show! The idiots at that event made Irish people look like drunk loudmouth idiots. At least we know that all Irish people are not like that but people in other countries don't know that. They made an absolute show of Irish MMA fans and Irish people in general. Should be ashamed of themselves.

The crowd no way represented Irish MMA fans. They were McGregor bandwagoners who probably don't even watch other Irish MMA fighters let alone MMA.

McGregor is bigger then the sport here at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,038 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

all i saw was 3000 lepracauns!

Honestly what's the big deal about that press conference.

Aldo expected pretty much everything he got and handled it well.
    Dana loved it.
    McGregor was in his element.
    The fight was promoted and built up as much as possible.
    Everybody wins in my opinion.

To think we as Irish fans are all going to be lumped into the same boat as a few drunks who slagged Aldo off is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

So I suppose grabbing the belt wasn't explosive.

Ok well lets give you a little history lesson in MMA shall we?

Lets go through some of the old champions, and how the sport actually got where it is today by promotion, smack talk and lack of respect. I would go as far as to say without this lack of respect there wouldn't even be a UFC today.
    Start with Ken Shamrock the Worlds Most Dangerous Man, who made a living from talking **** to people before fights, hyping them and telling people he was the best bar none.
    Then we had Tank Abbot, who was brought ringside when he wasn't fighting just so he could talk **** about other UFC fighters and add to the tension and potential other matchups.
    Then we had Tito Ortiz the second most dominant champion ever in the sport who used to dig graves for his opponents when he won, constantly talk smack before and after the fight. The guy who single handedly kept the organsiation afloat by bringing in PPV numbers hyping and talking smack. Go back and watch his interviews before the Randy fight and see how much smack he was talking about him, a guy who never said anything about anyone.
    We have Nick Diaz one of the sports biggest draws and most popular fighters, who talks smack permanently, you dont remember his radio call with GSP? Steroids, aliens, pampering.
    Then we come to Chael who broke all the records and numbers, made the most tension filled fight ever in the company, purely through smack talk and a lack of respect.
    So I dont know what sport you've been watching down through the years.

Firstly you don't need to be a condensing twat about someone having an issue with your comment.

I said originally I didn't think the press conference was explosive. You respond about him grabbing the belt, I don't see that explosive either, I've seen it happen before, two days ago in a radio studio...

Do you honestly think the sport got to where it is today by there being a lack of respect? In a sport consisting of so many dedicated martial artists that there isn't respect there?...Really?

You seem to be confusing the smack talk before a fight or someone else calling someone out as the overall ethos of the sport.

Thanks for history "lesson" though....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just watched the presser on youtube, oh man there was some amount of idiots there. Bordering racist too when one clown called Aldo a baboon.

Real scumbag element there too which will do no good for the image it already portrays to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

The forever-outraged are out in force today. It's harmless entertainment, and everyone there, even the Brazilians, were smiling. Except Aldo, who doesn't give a flying fork either way and would probably have been expecting worse.

It's not a reflection on you, your upstanding morality is still intact, and there will be plenty more stuff to be outraged about next week. Have fun with that.

I mean, would anyone have preferred this?

If so, maybe check out the cricket.

Meanwhile, there will be a spectacle around this fight like never before thanks to this and McGregor's constant reel of headlines. Millions will watch it, including everyone here. Fighters will leap at the chance to fight in Ireland. Everyone will talk.

Job done. Can't fecking wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

rob316 wrote: »
    Just watched the presser on youtube, oh man there was some amount of idiots there. Bordering racist too when one clown called Aldo a baboon.

Real scumbag element there too which will do no good for the image it already portrays to some.

Spanking ... red arse ... baboon.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Now there's an Irish attitude I loathe. What will the neighbours think?! If people in another country are ignorant enough to pile the people of an entire nation into one group, let them at it. Who cares? Someone that thinks that way is way worse than anything you saw yesterday.

• Advertisement

Trond wrote: »
    Firstly you don't need to be a condensing twat about someone having an issue with your comment.

I said originally I didn't think the press conference was explosive. You respond about him grabbing the belt, I don't see that explosive either, I've seen it happen before, two days ago in a radio studio...

Do you honestly think the sport got to where it is today by there being a lack of respect? In a sport consisting of so many dedicated martial artists that there isn't respect there?...Really?

You seem to be confusing the smack talk before a fight or someone else calling someone out as the overall ethos of the sport.

Thanks for history "lesson" though....

Lol, condescending? Look at your own post describing my opinion as utter nonsense and drivel and then call me condescending again.
    Obviously you do need the history lesson, because your confusing the roots and ideals of MMA and the UFC with the roots and ideals of Martial arts like Karate, and Taikwondo. One is based on promotion, and money, and knocking the other guy into oblivion while the others are based on honour and respect and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Now there's an Irish attitude I loathe. What will the neighbours think?! .

And on that point, at least two people used up their question at the press conference to ask Dana (and Conor and Jose if I recall) to confirm that Irish crowds are the loudest, as if this is the ultimate badge of honour for us as a nation. Yeah being able to create an atmosphere is good but bit of a small town mentality taking such pride just from being loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Think Pendred summed it up perfectly talking about the mind games, That's exactly what it is to McGergor a game he'll go back stage and laugh about it, Even the people complaining about last night are doing exactly what is wanted making more hype about it, Love him or hate him your going to be tuned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

That depends on the person/fighter. Some people can channel anger into controlled aggression. As I said it doesn't have to become reckless and I believe Aldo is the type of fighter who would thrive in this type of fight were he is reved up and motivated.

Chael Sonnen did an ask me anything on reddit yesterday and he said he's seen tons of negative, angry fighters kick ass in the ring.

Also Bisping Henderson comes to mind...we all know how that ended.

It may change aldos fighting style for the better or worse..who knows, maybe not at all. One things for sure tho...this fight is gonna sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

It was so outrageous and the language was so grossly reprehensible that it was on the Joe Duffy show!

Joe Duffy being a leading moral authority and bastion of civility. If he's discussing it, it must all have been terrible. His show being the unbiased litmus test for what's wrong/right.

It's just hilarious. The media around the world are focusing on the belt snatching, the huge pending fight and a great world press tour. Some Irish fans, especially here, are climbing over themselves to ensure we can't forgot morons exist, and were present yesterday for small parts.

More happened yesterday than 'Aldo ya b*tch' from idiots. The stupid comments yesterday were so idiotic and insignificant, people here can't help repeating them ad nauseum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

paulieeye wrote: »
    Chael Sonnen did an ask me anything on reddit yesterday and he said he's seen tons of negative, angry fighters kick ass in the ring.

It may change aldos fighting style for the better or worse..who knows, maybe not at all. One things for sure tho...this fight is gonna sell

Cat Zingano seemed angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Saipanne wrote: »
    Cat Zingano seemed angry.

That wasn't anger. That was somebody who had no game plan and didn't think they could win. Fear? sure, anger? no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Davei141 wrote: »
    That wasn't anger. That was somebody who had no game plan and didn't think they could win. Fear? sure, anger? no.

That hat was thrown fearfully, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

paulieeye wrote: »

Henderson was angry alright, but does that mean he won the fight BECAUSE he was angry? No, it doesn't.

I'm not convinced that anger can be a positive thing in a fight at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Henderson was angry alright, but does that mean he won the fight BECAUSE he was angry? No, it doesn't.

What at the level that Aldo has set and operated at for the last 6 years..the level of opponent that mcgregor has zero experience of?..

people are delusional if they think aldo will be put off or rush in without a gameplan on fight night because he is angry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

What at the level that Aldo has set and operated at for the last 6 years..the level of opponent that mcgregor has zero experience of?..

people are delusional if they think aldo will be put off or rush in without a gameplan on fight night because he is angry.

Ya I don't think being angry will affect how he chooses to fight. I do think it will make him much more motivated in his training however. There is months to go before this fight happens and pissing off Aldo is only going to encourage him to train harder than ever before.

Absolutely. But I was addressing people who think that anger, if it exists, will be an advantage. I don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ya I don't think being angry will affect how he chooses to fight. I do think it will make him much more motivated in his training however. There is months to go before this fight happens and pissing off Aldo is only going to encourage him to train harder than ever before.

I think you're doing him the same disservice as people claiming he's going to see red mist in the ring. I don't think any approach would result in aldo not training as hard as he can safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

MrStuffins wrote: »

I agree. I think theres too much being put on the mind games element and anger levels of a fighter.

It may work in some respects to make a fighter lose control or a may work to focus someone. You could probably find cases where both has happened. I dont think this is conors main goal here even if he says it is.

Any MMA fighters on here who's been through this kinda thing pre fight, how did it affect you or your opponent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It's cringe worthy to be honest, fans come off very bad!

Completely agree. They all projected thrmselves as druken loud mouthed paddies to the world. Embarressing to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

rob316 wrote: »

To be fair I don't think anyone was racist. He said like a baboon because Aldo's ass would be spanked red by Conor.
    There were some stupid comments for sure but I didn't see or hear anything that crossed the line into being racist.

There was definitely some yobbish behaviour and the actual wit was low
    Banter is all well and good but a number of those who got to the mic were about as funny as a heart attack.

Booze probably fuelled a bit of it and it certainly seemed a testosterone driven event but the few Brazilians that were there were able to get their point across.
    I know there was a bit of booing but it's not like there was jostling or any real hostility.

A bit of pantomime with a few idiots buying into it and thinking they were great calling a champion a p*ssy, sh1te etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

It was like watching the comments section of YouTube being read aloud as a spectator sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Well I was there last night, and I thought it was excellent, the noise and atmosphere and hostility was fun !!

No worse then what Conor received in Brazil.

No Im not a "n00bie bandwagoner", UFC 93 was my first event, I had a great time anyway as did the 2 lads and girl that came with me. Conor fed off it, like it or not.
    This elitism here of "proper" fans is whats silly. Last night was always gonna be this way.

Next time the elitists would be advised to get onto EventBrite at 9am and get yer tickets if you want a nice cosy civilized quite little chat with Dana and fighters, and I wouldnt have to read through 20 pages of ****etalk

eta: also how many people spoke... 15-20..? I didn't count...yet there were 3000 give or take in the room...yet everybody here painting the other 2980 fans as spastics...hmm...Irish logic at its finest, take a look in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

Well that's it so, if you think a UFC champion shouldn't be called a pussy, a bitch and mocked for 45 mins, you're an elitist.

That's the only possible reason someone could complain about drunken fans asking stupid and insulting questions.

• Advertisement

Stuxnet wrote: »
    This elitism here of "proper" fans is whats silly. Last night was always gonna be this way.

It's not elitist to dislike braindead idiots. One of them actually just said "F*ck you Aldo" :rolleyes:
    eta: also how many people spoke... 15-20..? I didn't count...yet there were 3000 give or take in the room...yet everybody here painting the other 2980 fans as spastics...hmm...Irish logic at its finest, take a look in the mirror.

IIRC, approx 20 fans spoke and there were 2 proper questions. Of this sample of 20, 90% were at it.

Nobody is saying everyone in the room was an idiot, but........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement