Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

Gunnar Nelson versus John Hathaway added to UFC 189

It just keeps getting better and better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Not really a UFC follower but this one has me intrigued. Can anyone here tell me, how good is Aldo?

I've seen his clips on youtube and he does look like he could be hit by McGregor. Will that be enough to stop/finish him or has he too much in his locker for McGregor?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

mfceiling wrote: »
    Not really a UFC follower but this one has me intrigued. Can anyone here tell me, how good is Aldo?

I've seen his clips on youtube and he does look like he could be hit by McGregor. Will that be enough to stop/finish him or has he too much in his locker for McGregor?

He's the champion of the world. He's pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

He's good, very good, i also think a lot of people are actually forgetting how good he is, 100% he's the best fighter Conor has come up against

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

He's the best featherweight fighter I've ever seen. He's beaten all the top guys and never looked in trouble (though some of his fights were close). The thing about Conor is nobody knows how good he really is. Obviously he's a phenomenal fighter but its easy to look good against sub par competition. We know Aldo can beat anyone but we still don't know if Conor can beat anyone in the top 5, he has been given favorable match ups so far. But then McGregor has looked so good in his victories, it makes this fight impossible to call!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Crazy good. Best fighter his division has ever produced and the second best fighter pound for pound right now. The division has a lot of talent but nobody has troubled him at all yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

It wasn't a small minority making the stupid comments, wasn't far off a majority. I love a few witty remarks but the most of the stuff was infantile & low denominator stuff. Be far better if they just allowed journalist to ask Q's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

JubilantWeepyCollardlizard.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Well that's it so, if you think a UFC champion shouldn't be called a pussy, a bitch and mocked for 45 mins, you're an elitist.

That's the only possible reason someone could complain about drunken fans asking stupid and insulting questions.

Yep crazy. Especially after the champ coming out and claiming he was the king of Dublin. That could never be considered provocative.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Yep crazy. Especially after the champ coming out and claiming he was the king of Dublin. That could never be considered provocative.

lol, as if that justifies it. Have a read of what Conor said in Brazil. He would never proclaim to be a king of anywhere. ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Redmen Rafalution

Interesting take from a journalist who was at the event
    Fans insisting Aldo would lose were no surprise, it happens at the majority of UFC press conferences. Even fans that told the champion to shine the belt were harmless, but things did get pretty hairy at some stages. Some of the fans were clearly drunk and some of their comments were bizarre, vulgar and at times, pretty shameful.

“Jose, **** you,” said one of the fans as he gave the champion the finger. “Jose said he was (raised) by his father, what I want to know is, is he wearing his wife’s or his father’s knickers tonight? You pussy,” was another, somewhat elaborate, question for Aldo. “Are you going to get something done with that scar on your face because it’s not attractive,” pondered a man with a Scottish accent.

“Everybody has been saying you’re 10 years unbeaten Aldo, but when you look at the perspective of it, 18 fights in 10 years – what’s that, one and a half fights a year? You’re ****, mate,” offered one Irish spectator to the only man to ever hold the UFC’s 145 lbs title.

Aldo was called ‘a little fanny’, ‘bitch’, ‘pussy’ and one of the fans even wanted know what the Brazilian’s pussy smelled like. Classy stuff, indeed.

McGregor’s image, his parents and his nationality were up for discussion when the Dubliner visited Rio last October. Similar to last night’s events, many Brazilians were upset by the behaviour of some of their countrymen at the Q and A. Like the Dublin event, the Rio gathering sang of McGregor’s impending death at the hands of Aldo. Anyone that saw McGregor’s session in Rio knew that if Aldo came to Dublin that the champion would be in for similar hostility, but it’s fair to say that some of the gatherings’ antics came across poorly.

The Irish MMA athletes have done so well to project the Irish in a positive light. The nation now boasts eight fighters on the roster, the passion of the Irish fans has been noted around the world, but some of the people at yesterday’s press conference cut figures of the nation’s negative stereotypes from the past – drunk, vulgar, aggressive and uninformed.

You couldn’t really call them MMA fans. They are very much on board the McGregor bandwagon. A massive amount of the people who had attended Aldo and McGregor’s press conference exited the building straight after the featherweights left the stage, despite the fact that the seven other Irish fighters signed to the promotion were due to field some questions directly after it.

The rest of the article is on severemma

http://severemma.com/2015/04/ufc-189-world-tour-iconic-moments-reluctant-questions-and-drunken-fans/

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

Neily Seery tweeted this the other day: ''Irish fans are the best around but bandwagon fans and some of there questions are shamefull''

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aaaand (I've said it before) the only two people to beat McGregor were the only two people with 'J's in their name (Joseph and Artemij)
    This was really starting to worry me. But then I remembered he beat Aaron Jahnsen in CageWars jsut before the title shot. A 'j' there, and a capital J at that. phew

...the first 4 letters of Joseph Duffy are still a bit of a concern.
    califano wrote: »
    Conors surely going to have a brutal weight cut ahead of him on the run up as he currently looks at least a stone heavier than Aldo whenever they stand in close proximity. Anyone know approx how much lbs over the weigh-in limit Conor walks around at between fights and how much he loses in the 2-3 weeks before the actual fight?. Hes always been very professional about weighing in but i hope it doesnt weaken him to a bad degree.
    I think he is 170lbs now, and will finish fight camp about 165lbs. Cutting 20lbs during fight week to make the limit. A huge cut for a FW, but he's been on point every other fight.
    Quick question, the fact we have no athletic commission does that mean an Irish fighter based in Ireland could juice and not be caught as long as he cycled in time for after fight testing ? or are they tested randomly like they would be in the US ?
    To answer your first question, yes they could juice and cycle off for a fight test.

But that's how it works in the US too. Fighters in the US for the most part aren't test outside fight night. The few times they have done "random tests" are an completely insignificant % of all fights.
    people are delusional if they think aldo will be put off or rush in without a gameplan on fight night because he is angry.

Whether or not he does it out of anger you are equally delusional if you think there's no chance he rushes in.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    IIRC, approx 20 fans spoke and there were 2 proper questions. Of this sample of 20, 90% were at it.

Nobody is saying everyone in the room was an idiot, but........
    That's really silly logic, Im sure you already know that.

Not everyone has the balls to get up in front of 3000 people to ask a question, it's not much of a stretch to assume that the drunkards were more likely to have the bottle to walk up to the mike. So...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Controlled anger is effective, GSP vs BJ Penn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

lol, as if that justifies it. Have a read of what Conor said in Brazil. He would never proclaim to be a king of anywhere. ffs

What has that got to do with it? Conor provoked Brazilian fans aldo did the same with the Irish fans. Both should expect abuse if they rile up the crowd. Way to move the goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »
    That's really silly logic, Im sure you already know that.

Not everyone has the balls to get up in front of 3000 people to ask a question, it's not much of a stretch to assume that the drunkards were more likely to have the bottle to walk up to the mike. So...

Yup. I know that. I was just answering in such a way because it was claimed that people were saying the other 2980 people int he crowd were idiots. This is not the case. Nobody was saying this. We were talking about the sample whom we saw and heard speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

ShooterSF wrote: »
    What has that got to do with it? Conor provoked Brazilian fans aldo did the same with the Irish fans. Both should expect abuse if they rile up the crowd. Way to move the goalposts.

How exactly did Aldo provoke the fans at the event - by saying he was the king of Dublin? If you think that all those people suddenly decided to replace their well thought out questions with "little fanny", "pussy", "bitch", then you are ridiculously naive.

The whole thing was classless and cowardly. Whatever McGregor says about him - fair enough, at least he has to step into the octagon with him. To think the video has millions of views around the world is cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Have to say i found the whole thing embarrassing and cringeworthy and I hope not many people outside of Ireland viewed it.

All that 'Jose,are you wearing your wifes or your dads underwear tonight'??Non sensical boll1x and that clown who stood there saying jose 'you really need to get that scar fixed'...all personal crap that no one should have to listen to.
    Alot were muppets who were locked and looking for their 2 minutes of stand up comedy playing to an easy crowd but they just came across and absolute tw@ts.

Some comments were alright but every time someone stood up i coudlnt look and prepared myself for another cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Agreed.

And what i found most annoying was the amount of p1ssed up clowns that kept calling jose a pu$$y??

Considering most were fat clowns who have probably never entered a ring or octagon themselves and to call someone with a record like Joses a pu$$y is just shocking.

No respect just p1ssed up weekend warriors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

v3ttel wrote: »
    How exactly did Aldo provoke the fans at the event - by saying he was the king of Dublin? If you think that all those people suddenly decided to replace their well thought out questions with "little fanny", "pussy", "bitch", then you are ridiculously naive.

The whole thing was classless and cowardly. Whatever McGregor says about him - fair enough, at least he has to step into the octagon with him. To think the video has millions of views around the world is cringeworthy.

The UFC is classless though.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ibrahimovic

We need to stop worrying about what other people think of us, it doesn't take a genius to realise that most of the people who got on the mic were most likely some of the loudest, drunkest idiots there just trying to impress their mates. I was there and would like to think that those people didn't represent me or the majority of the people who were there, people were in great spirits, very friendly and not pushy or drunk at all. I've seen bad crowds at say oxegen, but this was not one.

I think the crowd was so riled up and determined to out do the other conferences from the start that we got a bit carried away in the moment and just cheered anything pro Conor. As we were cheering we were even looking around at eachother as if to say this is ridiculous, but its great. It ended up a pantomine! It's a shame a few idiots thought it was a great idea to call Jose a pussy, but the fact is, if people were asking decent questions from the start like part 2 of the conference then we would have been shown in a whole different light. It does take a few idiots to spoil it alright! I even would have asked a half decent question myself, but I'm far too shy and introverted to get on the mic in front of all those people lol.

If people watching on youtube or whatever think that the people who got on the mic are a reflection of irish people, then so be it, they are most likely a bit simple and not worth worrying about anyway. And the people who got on the mic in Brazil comparison doesn't excuse our muppets, but just for a bit of perspective, they were genuinely worse than ours. Get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

There's just something so utterly pathetic about the way McGregor's fans have taken on his persona, fully grown men. I don't blame them in a way, the WWE product has become so stale they've moved over to the UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Neily Seery tweeted this the other day: ''Irish fans are the best around but bandwagon fans and some of there questions are shamefull''

I agree.

bur wrote: »
    There's just something so utterly pathetic about the way McGregor's fans have taken on his persona, fully grown men. I don't blame them in a way, the WWE product has become so stale they've moved over to the UFC.

its pathetic or you don't blame them? confused!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thick Dublin accent " Aldo, what does your pussy smell like?"" :rolleyes:

There's one Irish guy that stood up and said Conor I think your amazing but a little bit of respect for Aldo people, he is the champion for a reason.

davmol wrote: »
    Agreed.

And what i found most annoying was the amount of p1ssed up clowns that kept calling jose a pu$$y??

Considering most were fat clowns who have probably never entered a ring or octagon themselves and to call someone with a record like Joses a pu$$y is just shocking.

No respect just p1ssed up weekend warriors.

You're wrong, they were real fans!!!:rolleyes: see attached in the Indo today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

rusty cole wrote: »
    You're wrong, they were real fans!!!:rolleyes: see attached in the Indo today.
    He's on late late tomorrow.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    He's on late late tomorrow.

FFS really??? ridiculous carry on. nice kid but keep the adulation going and he'll be really annoying.. he got his 15 minutes leave it that!! he's like Ellen degenerate!!!! tubs loves these you tube sensations!! "you wouldn't be long getting frostbit so ya wudnt"!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

rusty cole wrote: »
    FFS really??? ridiculous carry on. nice kid but keep the adulation going and he'll be really annoying.. he got his 15 minutes leave it that!! he's like Ellen degenerate!!!! tubs loves these you tube sensations!! "you wouldn't be long getting frostbit so ya wudnt"!!!

Agree totally, think conor may be on too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement