Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Where they got he is the first Irish person to get the black in bjj, seriously like simple research.

Yeah, not to mention that the video on the page pre-dates his fight with Brandao.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Where they got he is the first Irish person to get the black in bjj, seriously like simple research.
    I only skimmed it, but that was the only major error I seen.
    It's also easy to see where the error came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

2 years to the day since Conor made his UFC debut with the win over Brimage. What a whirlwind 2 years that has been!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

Paully D wrote: »
    2 years to the day since Conor made his UFC debut with the win over Brimage. What a whirlwind 2 years that has been!

5 fights, 5 wins, a torn ACL and a title shot is some achievement in 2 years!

Carroller wrote: »
    5 fights, 5 wins, a torn ACL and a title shot is some achievement in 2 years!

Also including 4 finishes each with a fight night bonus :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nice to see McGregor turn out and indeed smile and pose for photographs (!) at the funeral of assassinated organised crime grunt Paul Kavanagh.

Just shows you can't buy class.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/murder-of-paul-kavanagh-terrible-and-evil-funeral-told-1.2167516

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lad I went to school with was shot dead in a pub not so long ago. I knew him well enough when we were younger, knew his brothers and all of his friends. He was a convicted drug dealer and he was shot in a gangland style shooting.

Does going to his funeral mass make me a bad person?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gray Mimicry

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Lad I went to school with was shot dead in a pub not so long ago. I knew him well enough when we were younger, knew his brothers and all of his friends. He was a convicted drug dealer and he was shot in a gangland style shooting.

Does going to his funeral mass make me a bad person?

absolutely and if someone takes a picture of you while your there your worse again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Nice to see McGregor turn out and indeed smile and pose for photographs (!) at the funeral of assassinated organised crime grunt Paul Kavanagh.

Just shows you can't buy class.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/murder-of-paul-kavanagh-terrible-and-evil-funeral-told-1.2167516

Suspected, if you'd read the article you'd have seen that he was only ever convicted of minor road traffic and public order offenses, but don't let that get in the way of your indignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod: Any chance you'd like to discuss something a bit more relevant? Like.....I dunno......mma?
    Ffs.

• Advertisement

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Mod: Any chance you'd like to discuss something a bit more relevant? Like.....I dunno......mma?
    Ffs.

It was a discussion about Conor McGregor's attendance at a funeral. Is that irrelevant to a Conor McGregor thread?

Whosthis wrote: »
    It was a discussion about Conor McGregor's attendance at a funeral. Is that irrelevant to a Conor McGregor thread?

In an MMA forum, yes.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    In an MMA forum, yes.

That would make at least 50% of the thread irrelevant so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

absolutely and if someone takes a picture of you while your there your worse again

I'm not a huge fan of Conor's antics but the blame should fall on the people who wanted to turn that funeral into a photo op.

Drop the funeral talk folks. It adds nothing to the discussion here.
    PM me if you need any clarification but don't discuss in this thread again. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gray Mimicry

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of Conor's antics but the blame should fall on the people who wanted to turn that funeral into a photo op.

twas sarcasm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

Slow day in work so I gave this a read www .bloodyelbow.com/2015/4/5/8343909/conor-mcgregor-dethrone-jose-aldo-ufc- 189

Thought it was very well written.

cant post links but just remove the space after the WWW and before 189

Slow day in work so I gave this a read www .bloodyelbow.com/2015/4/5/8343909/conor-mcgregor-dethrone-jose-aldo-ufc- 189

Thought it was very well written.

cant post links but just remove the space after the WWW and before 189

I read it myself and agree. I have said all along that for every punch aldo gets, it will feel 10 times worse in his mind because McGregor has told him so. He's wondering now if McGregor hits really as hard as it looks. I doubt very much if brimage, brandao, porier ( all spelled wrong maybe) and the Siver all planned on being put down in such a fashion but they were. If he hits as hard as it seems and manages to land frequently enough, it will be a short night in vegas. (I know I'll get lambasted for saying that but that's what I'm thinking). I hate the swagger and the hangers on, I hate the celeb wannabe culture that follows, but that's all for true NON MMA fans. In terms of a match up with a potentially electric outcome, as an MMA fan, im really excited for this and hope to jasus there's no sparring or training injuries pre-fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

rusty cole wrote: »
    I read it myself and agree. I have said all along that for every punch aldo gets, it will feel 10 times worse in his mind because McGregor has told him so. He's wondering now if McGregor hits really as hard as it looks. I doubt very much if brimage, brandao, porier ( all spelled wrong maybe) and the Siver all planned on being put down in such a fashion but they were. If he hits as hard as it seems and manages to land frequently enough, it will be a short night in vegas. (I know I'll get lambasted for saying that but that's what I'm thinking). I hate the swagger and the hangers on, I hate the celeb wannabe culture that follows, but that's all for true NON MMA fans. In terms of a match up with a potentially electric outcome, as an MMA fan, im really excited for this and hope to jasus there's no sparring or training injuries pre-fight.

I always find the emphasis people put on McGregor hitting "hard" or the power in his strikes as slightly missing the real point. McGregor isn't dangerous simply because he hits hard, he's dangerous because he hits right. The timing and accuracy of his strikes is really impressive, especially how often he lands in areas that mess with someone's equilibrium or balance.
    Lots of fighters hit hard and lots of fighters can take hard hits. Getting hit just right so that your body decides it's done with standing upright is a different story.
    I'm still thinking Aldo is going to edge a decision, but I do think McGregor's skill makes him a definite threat.

I always find the emphasis people put on McGregor hitting "hard" or the power in his strikes as slightly missing the real point. McGregor isn't dangerous simply because he hits hard, he's dangerous because he hits right. The timing and accuracy of his strikes is really impressive, especially how often he lands in areas that mess with someone's equilibrium or balance.
    Lots of fighters hit hard and lots of fighters can take hard hits. Getting hit just right so that your body decides it's done with standing upright is a different story.
    I'm still thinking Aldo is going to edge a decision, but I do think McGregor's skill makes him a definite threat.

apologies I meant hard and accurate. They asked siver would he have done anything differently or does he have any advice on how Aldo should fight McGregor. Siver said, "dya think If I knew to deal with or counter him, I'd be sitting here?". he added, his timing and ability to close distance and get back out of range was just too much.....

I think this will be a big factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

rusty cole wrote: »
    apologies I meant hard and accurate. They asked siver would he have done anything differently or does he have any advice on how Aldo should fight McGregor. Siver said, "dya think If I knew to deal with or counter him, I'd be sitting here?". he added, his timing and ability to close distance and get back out of range was just too much.....

I think this will be a big factor.

It's definitely a factor. Aldo has quite a bit of ability in that regard too though. I think both fighters have legitimate reasons they're a threat to each other and neither's skill set simply trumps the other. It's all going to come down to who makes the best use of their skills on the night. Which is the sort of thing that makes for a really awesome fight for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've heard Eddie tell that story before. He's spoken pretty highly of Conor's jitsu even before they met.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Made me laugh a little. I don't see Faber beating Conor, tbh, but he sure would like those dolla' bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Knex. wrote: »

Made me laugh a little. I don't see Faber beating Conor, tbh, but he sure would like those dolla' bills.

Urijah Faber does not need the money. He has made more money outside of fighting than he ever could dream of making inside the cage. He's a property guru, and has started about 8 or 9 company's from scratch, and sold them for millions.

I don't think what he's saying about Conor is completely without warrant. I know John kavanagh has referenced the Holloway injury but he was dominating that fight. It'd be interesting to see how he reacts if someone else catches him in a kneebar again. I imagine he'll be a lot calmer as that would come with experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

dulux99 wrote: »
    Urijah Faber does not need the money. He has made more money outside of fighting than he ever could dream of making inside the cage. He's a property guru, and has started about 8 or 9 company's from scratch, and sold them for millions.

3.24.png

dulux99 wrote: »

Never knew. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

11116782_783635455077600_220244430_n.jpg

That tattoo. A tiger.

Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

It's bad....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement