Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ha remember Brock and bud light

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Stolen from YLYL...

"If Conor McGregor was a dog"

1FO7aMh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Stolen from YLYL...

"If Conor McGregor was a dog"

That's rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

There is a lot more than a title as stake with this fight!

All his sponsorship etc, it really has happened so quick, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

JustTheOne wrote: »
    There is a lot more than a title as stake with this fight!

All his sponsorship etc, it really has happened so quick, fair play.

In fairness, i do not think the result of the title fight will affect his current sponsors. He has been cemented as a name in the UFC. Regardless of whether he wins he has many big fight in front of him. As long as he continues to win against the upper tier then sponsors will be all over him.

Of course winning the title moves him onto a different level. I am pretty amazed that he could end up being the biggest UFC star. Considering the weight division that would be almost unbelievable to imagine possible,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

The worst thing will be, if he loses, that this place will be unbearable. "All hype, it was obvious" and "scumbag was shown up for what he is" - despite that he's still a top 5 fighter (and probably top 3) in his division and lost to an all-time GOAT.

I personally think he has a very good chance in this fight. I will be avoiding this forum if he loses. Will be full of idiots. Even if he wins it'll still be full of typical Joe Duffy listeners (fat clueless Joe Duffy, like his listeners, not the very talented fighter Joe Duffy), but it will be unbearable if he loses.

I think Aldo will edge the first round due to intensity, activity and a little bit of judge bias (it will be a close first round). I think once Conor gauges the distance and speed of a title fight, he will manage much better. Hopefully his cardio is insane because even though Aldo tires in the later rounds, he's one tough guy and has experience in 5 round wars.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Conor hurts and finishes him in the later rounds. Conor has a granite chin, he's taken some good shots and he's unphased. One of the benefits of being big for his weight. Aldo will need to catch him perfectly to really hurt him. Aldo is great at winning rounds, but I'm not sure I've seen someone better at finishing fights and biding their time than Conor. If Conor hurts Aldo, there's a good chance he will end the fight there and then. He's clincal as f**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Aldo's activity definitely drops, but to be fair, that's normal in a high intense fight. I'm not taking anything away from Aldo. He's a beast and it will be unbelievable if Conor manages to beat him. But it's not a myth that he slows down in the later rounds (kind of a bad criticism given that most fighters are the same). I just don't think anyone has had the same belief and killer instinct that Conor has if it gets to that point. If we find two guys in the last two rounds, I honestly believe Conor is going to come out on top 9/10. He's so mentally tough that he won't break. Just my opinion - I have Aldo as favourite at the moment given how amazing he is. But I give Conor a serious chance. As Dillashaw said "Confidence means a ****ing lot, it's going to be a tough fight" [paraphrase].

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

moneyman wrote: »
    The worst thing will be, if he loses, that this place will be unbearable. "All hype, it was obvious" and "scumbag was shown up for what he is" - despite that he's still a top 5 fighter (and probably top 3) in his division and lost to an all-time GOAT.

I personally think he has a very good chance in this fight. I will be avoiding this forum if he loses. Will be full of idiots. Even if he wins it'll still be full of typical Joe Duffy listeners (fat clueless Joe Duffy, like his listeners, not the very talented fighter Joe Duffy), but it will be unbearable if he loses.

This. Its the only thing that will bother me should the worst happen.

There is also the other unbearable side if he wins, ah set up, fix, aldo took a dive etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

McGregor has hyped himself up here alot so if he loses everyone will just have to take what is said then, he has put himself in this position.

Talk the talk and walk the walk and all that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CatFromHue wrote: »
    McGregor has hyped himself up here alot so if he loses everyone will just have to take what is said then, he has put himself in this position.

Talk the talk and walk the walk and all that stuff.
    It's a very high profile fight. No matter the outcome, there will be a lot of "talk" afterwards, in that regard we have to accept it. But that doesn't make are idiotic opinions post fight any less idiotic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's what comes with such a high profile event, nothing you can do about it.

McGregor has pushed himself into this position so it's bound to happen.

Say if Holohan or Pendred were in a title fight and lost I doubt there'd be much negative comments about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Conor has a granite chin, he's taken some good shots and he's unphased.

This is a crazy comment, Conor has barely been hit and when he has they have been by feather fisted lads, he may or may not have a good chin but we simply don't know.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If he wins who will be in the running for his next opponent? Mendes ?

Winner of Edgar v Faber imo.

Too soon for Mendes.
    Lamas and Cub need to build back up. Max Holloway has potential to get his name in the hat too.

Also, an Aldo rematch is very likely. I'd like to see Mendes v Aldo in a non-title, not main event fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

Mellor wrote: »
    Winner of Edgar v Faber imo.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Edgar cruises to a decision and gets the next shot, I want to see Mendes-Aldo 3 if Aldo retains though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Aldo might get a rematch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Ill be rooting for McGregor but cant see him beating Aldo. He's up in the same bracket as Silva, Jones, Mighty Mouse

So It will take something really special to take the belt, but i reckon after the loss McGregor will move up to 155

Ill be rooting for McGregor but cant see him beating Aldo. He's up in the same bracket as Silva, Jones, Mighty Mouse
    Those 3 are each very different brackets right now.

Suspended PED users
    Wanted Federal Suspects
    Most underrated fighters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Mellor wrote: »
    Those 3 are each very different brackets right now.

Suspended PED users
    Wanted Federal Suspects
    Most underrated fighters

Your right about that, and I hope jones and Silva turn their lifes/careers around. But there is no denying Aldo is up their with the best ever.

I reckon aldo's experience in big fights will be enough to get him through

I can see him winning by decision

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭OverUnderP4P

got let down with tickets for 189, everthing else booked, i seen some 1 selling 2 on this can some1 PM if they know please

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Stop posting looking for tickets, its against boards rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Axwell wrote: »
    Stop posting looking for tickets, its against boards rules.
    Is it? I know touting is but I dont think looking for info or selling for face price is ? WE had a whole thread of ticket swaps/ face price sales for the euros

Is it? I know touting is but I dont think looking for info or selling for face price is ? WE had a whole thread of ticket swaps/ face price sales for the euros

i know whats the story with people on a power trip, im only looking for tickets. whats the big deal

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

i know whats the story with people on a power trip, im only looking for tickets. whats the big deal

Power tripping? Get over yourself ..if its not against the MMA forum rules fair enough but you have 5 posts on boards and all of them relate to selling/buying tickets and not just for MMA....

Axwell wrote: »
    Power tripping? Get over yourself ..if its not against the MMA forum rules fair enough but you have 5 posts on boards and all of them relate to selling/buying tickets and not just for MMA....

haha i had some tickets to the races on friday and now cant get the time off work, i asked in the racing section if anyone wanted them. I seen somebody on here selling ufc tickets which i need as i am going and i asked to buy them. Whats the big conspiracy there?? relax yourself there mate stalking my posts ye headcase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Has anyone mentioned the fans at the Dublin press conference yet? Shocking.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Has anyone mentioned the fans at the Dublin press conference yet? Shocking.....

Never mentioned once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Saipanne wrote: »
    Never mentioned once.

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement