Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

darced wrote: »

Yeah, he said himself he is getting a cut of the PPV. Curious what %

I'd assume thats on top of his salary Fee. He did well for himself didn't he

• Registered Users Posts: 39,351 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is it public knowledge that Conor is getting a pay per view cut and not his usual 75k for the title fight? I see everyone mentioning it but dont remember actually seeing anything concrete about it.
    Yeah, It's been mentioned a few times.
    This fight is going to smash the 145 PPV record, mostly down to McGregor, so he's earned it. And he's certainly put in his share of media.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

He'll get his show money and a win bonus, the PPV cut will be in the legendary 'undisclosed' earnings.

IIRC from some years ago, when Randy was in court with Zuffa, a copy of his contract came out, he earned around 2mill from his PPV cut, Conor will smash that IMO

• Advertisement

A modest-millionaire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

scudzilla wrote: »
    He'll get his show money and a win bonus, the PPV cut will be in the legendary 'undisclosed' earnings.

IIRC from some years ago, when Randy was in court with Zuffa, a copy of his contract came out, he earned around 2mill from his PPV cut, Conor will smash that IMO

Don't the guys on a PPV cut only get show money? I seem to remember someone questioning why a champ didn't get a win bonus and apparently it was because they get show plus points rather than win bonus.

Edit - I was right. Couture and Lesnar for example had PPV cut but no win bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Even if Aldo batters him, a lot of people will care if he wins or loses, for a long time. As long as he looks after himself, I can't see how he won't be absolutely minted when he comes out the other end.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Don't the guys on a PPV cut only get show money? I seem to remember someone questioning why a champ didn't get a win bonus and apparently it was because they get show plus points rather than win bonus.

Edit - I was right. Couture and Lesnar for example had PPV cut but no win bonus.

Some get larger show money, no win bonus. But its always the case. Aldo has gotten win money for recent wins.

According to Chael, you get PPV points if your PPV numbers are over a certain threshold. This is why Aldo has been complaining about not making enough because he hasn't been drawing the numbers to make the PPV money

• Advertisement

According to Chael, you get PPV points if your PPV numbers are over a certain threshold. This is why Aldo has been complaining about not making enough because he hasn't been drawing the numbers to make the PPV money

Yeah you get more cash the higher the PPV numbers go.

Couture's much publicised payout was:

*Less than 100,000 buys: No money
    *100,000-175,000 buys: $1.00/buy
    *175,000-300,000 buys: $1.50/buy
    *300,000-330,000 buys: $2.00/buy
    *Over 330,000 buys: $3.00/buy

When you look at that and then consider that Lesnar was on a (probably higher) points scale and UFC 100 did 1.6 million buys, you can see how much cash Brock actually made in his short spell.

Even on the same scale as Couture he picked up over $4.5M from the UFC alone before sponsors for that fight.

I don't know what base and points scale Conor is on, and there's not a hope that 189 does anywhere near that amount of buys, but even for 500k PPV buys he's probably looking at $600-700k.

I reckon it will do a million buys as it stands.

Remember Chael vs Silva 2, it did 1 mil, mostly because of hype and PR that all came from Chael. AS never pulled in numbers before Chael. Conor takes it a step further, the promotion will saturate and make for a great build up.
    The rest of the card is great as well, a lot of good names and great fights.

It looks like Mayweather pacquiao is going to break 5mil buys, surely Conor can do a million! And now that Jenna Jameson wants a piece of the action, sky is the limit!

No chance of a million I'd say.

The FWs are still not a big draw despite Aldo's quality. Lawler and McDonald aren't big sellers either.

Conor will certainly double what Aldo has pulled in against anyone else I'd say but still not getting close to a million.

Brock vs Carwin only did 1.2M or something and that was a smashing card.

Plus the injury bug hasn't spread to 189 yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭OverUnderP4P

easily do a mill.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    No chance of a million I'd say.

The FWs are still not a big draw despite Aldo's quality. Lawler and McDonald aren't big sellers either.

Conor will certainly double what Aldo has pulled in against anyone else I'd say but still not getting close to a million.

Brock vs Carwin only did 1.2M or something and that was a smashing card.

Plus the injury bug hasn't spread to 189 yet...

If the injury bug destroys the undercard perhaps. I believe in the power of the megaphone that is McGregor otherwise though!

easily do a mill.

This man knows more than you or me...

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/03/pay-per-view-insider-dave-meltzer-predicts-ufc-189-aldo-vs-mcgregor-buyrate

The UFC have only broken a million buys 5 times in their history, 3 involved Lesnar and one had Chuck vs Tito II. UFC 92 had Forrest's title defence, a HW title fight, and Rampage vs Wanderlei.

If I was a betting man I wouldn't dare bet on McGregor vs Aldo, but I would bet that this doesn't break 1 million buys.

Silva vs Chael 2 did 925K, how do you explain that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This PPV could do 1m but I doubt it.

What I don't doubt though is that McGregor will deserve every penny he gets from his PPV back end and more. Because he's the one selling it!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

McGregor is so great at promoting a fight. I hope the PPV sales are very high as he will get a tasty sum from his percentage.

However, it is extremely difficult to break the 1 million PPV buy sales barrier.

And to think Mayweather v Pacquiao has done over 4 million PPV buys and many peeps believe it could rise above 5 million buys... Wowzer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

The lads :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

That wasn't very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

There's 5 minutes of my life I'm never gonna get back. Dreadful

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I have seen an awful lot of **** on this thread but that definitely up there for the number 1 spot..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

should be morto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Ah they're only having a laugh, they're fighters after all. I wouldn't expect a bunch of postmen to be funny either.

You'd wonder though looking at that, will McGregor be bringing in more fighters to give him a few different styles to train with? Are Pendred/Nelson and them joining up in Vegas after the Mexico fight?

I saw that Pendred brought in Matt Innman who's not a world beater but a decent experienced fighter from one of their affiliated gyms. Saul Rogers is from the same team as Innman, I'm surprised McGregor doesn't use him as a training partner, he's an excellent fighter and has a great counter-style to McGregor.

I know the "who you train with" thing is a very overestimated concept in MMA but it can't hurt to push the boat out a bit for a world championship fight that you've worked your whole life for. Just a speculative opinion, I'm not a fighter so I honestly haven't a clue but you'd assume that he'd want to expand his pool of training partners a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Ah they're only having a laugh, they're fighters after all. I wouldn't expect a bunch of postmen to be funny either.

You'd wonder though looking at that, will McGregor be bringing in more fighters to give him a few different styles to train with? Are Pendred/Nelson and them joining up in Vegas after the Mexico fight?

I saw that Pendred brought in Matt Innman who's not a world beater but a decent experienced fighter from one of their affiliated gyms. Saul Rogers is from the same team as Innman, I'm surprised McGregor doesn't use him as a training partner, he's an excellent fighter and has a great counter-style to McGregor.

I know the "who you train with" thing is a very overestimated concept in MMA but it can't hurt to push the boat out a bit for a world championship fight that you've worked your whole life for. Just a speculative opinion, I'm not a fighter so I honestly haven't a clue but you'd assume that he'd want to expand his pool of training partners a little bit.

A few have suggested he would have been better going to America and training with a different gym.

But why change what's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

JustTheOne wrote: »
    A few have suggested he would have been better going to America and training with a different gym.

But why change what's working.

He's almost backed himself into a corner with his previous comments saying he'll never change camps/training partners etc. and taking the piss out of those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Had a good laugh at the conversation about Conor's finances. How much did he pay for that sh1te tattoo? :P

Seriously though I don't think ufc189 will get 1million buys but has a good chance at getting around 700-800k with a good card, that's around Jon Jones card territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I think this can do 1m buys, Rory MacDonald will attract some buys from Canada, and the card is filled with stand up wars.

The huge Irish following McGregor has gathered over there can add to it too. Everyone will want to see who wins after the World Tour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement