Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

TimRiggins wrote: »
    I think this can do 1m buys, Rory MacDonald will attract some buys from Canada, and the card is filled with stand up wars.

The huge Irish following McGregor has gathered over there can add to it too. Everyone will want to see who wins after the World Tour.

the main problem with buys is the prevalence of illegal streams in 2015

even for UFC100 in 2009 streams weren't as common, whereas now they're everywhere and i think that's one of the main reasons for the decline of ppv in general

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

even for UFC100 in 2009 streams weren't as common, whereas now they're everywhere and i think that's one of the main reasons for the decline of ppv in general

Alot of people in North America still buy PPVs though. If Jones/DC got over 800,000 this can do more imo, Especially with the strength of the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

The decline in PPV , I think is due to weaker watered down cards than what we had, plus people can't afford 60$ every few weeks.

Connor is breath of fresh air for the UFC and even if he were to lose, I don't think it will affect him in the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 39,351 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think the prevalence in streams has an impact. But this is also somewhat cancelled by the growth of the sport in the last few years.
    Streams have increased and Total viewers have increased. So the benchmarks are the same.
    An event that does 1m buys is still equally massive. Really think 1m is the target here, it's safe to say the FW record will be smashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I'd be very confident that 189 will do 1m buys. I think the amount of press surrounding this fight will surpass Jones v Cormier, and Conor will capture the yanks imagination easily. If Rampage vs Rashad can manage 1m, then surely 189 will!

• Advertisement

dulux99 wrote: »
    I'd be very confident that 189 will do 1m buys. I think the amount of press surrounding this fight will surpass Jones v Cormier, and Conor will capture the yanks imagination easily. If Rampage vs Rashad can manage 1m, then surely 189 will!

Rampage v rashad was a huge card. And the 205 division has always sold well. I think the only huge events in the heavier divisions have done mil.
    GSP has done 900k+ a few times.

If 189 gets close to that it'll be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

When Conor eventually faces Mendes I could imagine a record breaking PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Guile704

It's pretty sad to go through any McGregor posts--be it anonymous or on facebook--where people are posting the most vile hate.

First of all, to you haters, he's playing all you idiots like marionettes. The more hate he generates, the more infamy he gets and the more money that goes in his pocket. Maybe put that energy into improving your life or doing something worthwhile instead of barfing your hate on someone who doesn't know you or care about you.

Second, it says a lot about the character of a person if they hurl abuse at someone who has done nothing to deserve it: he's cocky and arrogant, and beats up his opponents. That's it. Get your life together and stop bashing people who make you feel like a loser because you don't have the balls to do what he does. ****heads are a scourge on the internet.

/rant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Endthescam

The guy has said some pretty vile stuff himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Guile704 wrote: »
    It's pretty sad to go through any McGregor posts--be it anonymous or on facebook--where people are posting the most vile hate.

First of all, to you haters, he's playing all you idiots like marionettes. The more hate he generates, the more infamy he gets and the more money that goes in his pocket. Maybe put that energy into improving your life or doing something worthwhile instead of barfing your hate on someone who doesn't know you or care about you.

Second, it says a lot about the character of a person if they hurl abuse at someone who has done nothing to deserve it: he's cocky and arrogant, and beats up his opponents. That's it. Get your life together and stop bashing people who make you feel like a loser because you don't have the balls to do what he does. ****heads are a scourge on the internet.

/rant

Yeah, going onto the internet to bash people/someone "who doesn't know you or care about you". Terrible isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

/rant

leave-britney-alone-o.gif

Haha! The point stands, though. It'd be a lot better not having to wade through endless unclever, dumbass bile. Not a trace of wit or a brain cell to be found in the hate. Photoshopping cocks in his mouth, saying he's an ugly troll, and other nasty ****e. It's mostly a bunch of wasters with too much time on their hands, guaranteed.

(My avatar really should not be pink)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Haha! The point stands, though. It'd be a lot better not having to wade through endless unclever, dumbass bile. Not a trace of wit or a brain cell to be found in the hate. Photoshopping cocks in his mouth, saying he's an ugly troll, and other nasty ****e. It's mostly a bunch of wasters with too much time on their hands, guaranteed.

Mate if it upsets you that much, maybe you should consider taking a break from THE INTERNET.

Welcome to the internet, you'll get used to it in a week or two.

Tbh I doubt Conor has the time to go through the 100's of comments each FB/Twitter/Instragram photo receives to find this dick pics. And even if he did, i really doubt he does anything other than laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Mellor wrote: »
    Welcome to the internet, you'll get used to it in a week or two.

Tbh I doubt Conor has the time to go through the 100's of comments each FB/Twitter/Instragram photo receives to find this dick pics. And even if he did, i really doubt he does anything other than laugh

Yeah, I would imagine this entertaining him more than anything

John_D80 wrote: »
    Mate if it upsets you that much, maybe you should consider taking a break from THE INTERNET.

You say it like I'm shocked at such a thing, THE INTERNET is a cesspool for butthurt and hate to flourish, mainly --like I said--from the dregs of humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

You say it like I'm shocked at such a thing, THE INTERNET is a cesspool for butthurt and hate to flourish, mainly --like I said--from the dregs of humanity.

Knowing all of this, wouldn't that make your replies even more redundant than the comments they are a reply to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Well they do have certain fights on Pick TV so they're most certainly dipping their toe in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Makes me nervous. Last time it was on Sky they put the events on box office and you had to pay for each one

Makes me nervous. Last time it was on Sky they put the events on box office and you had to pay for each one
    That's the model in almost every other country.
    Numbered events are PPV. The rest are on a Fox/Fuel/sky type channel.
    UK and Ireland will return to it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Mellor wrote: »
    That's the model in almost every other country.
    Numbered events are PPV. The rest are on a Fox/Fuel/sky type channel.
    UK and Ireland will return to it eventually.
    I know but I much prefer to get all my ufc for a small subscription. The longer it lasts the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I've said before and I still believe that PPV will not work here for MMA.

1, It's just not mainstream enough.
    2, piracy is slowly killing PPV and will only get worse (or better depending on your point of view)

PPV can work when your audience is guaranteed, like Mayweather vs Pac. It won't work when you're in a still developing market, like MMA over here. Putting it on PPV would be a killer. Viewing figures would nosedive. Hardcore fans would just stream it, casual fans wouldn't bother watching at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

PPV won't work here while the market share is what it is now, the time of the night makes it prohibitive. If it wasn't available on a pay sports package like bt or sky and moved to ppv people would wait till morning and torrent it, as long as it stays like it is now people will either watch live or tape and watch in morning (like I do mostly).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I never watch the UFC live unless one of our own fighters is on the card, and if they're on early enough, I'll finish the card the following day.

If it goes to Sky Sports, they would be best served creating some sort of Sky Sports Fighting or something that acts like their Forumla One channel but handles all the MMA/Boxing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is there any actual danger of it moving to Sky or is this just a jump of the gun because sky had an article on their site?

When does the BT Sport deal end?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've said before and I still believe that PPV will not work here for MMA.

1, It's just not mainstream enough.
    2, piracy is slowly killing PPV and will only get worse (or better depending on your point of view)

PPV can work when your audience is guaranteed, like Mayweather vs Pac. It won't work when you're in a still developing market, like MMA over here. Putting it on PPV would be a killer. Viewing figures would nosedive. Hardcore fans would just stream it, casual fans wouldn't bother watching at all.
    I don't think mainstreamness is a factor, and it does ok in countries like australua which have a similar MMA scene to Ireland/UK.
    But I think time of day is a huge factor. To be a PPV success you need to be in the pubs. They pay a huge fee to show fights, and sports in general. That helps revenue a lot.
    Plus being on at an normal time means casuals are more likely to buy on a whim

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Is there any actual danger of it moving to Sky or is this just a jump of the gun because sky had an article on their site?

When does the BT Sport deal end?

BT deal ends next year AFAIK, It seemed they're putting the European events on PickTV to test the water.

No way will all numbered events be PPV. People over this side of the world won't pay when I can get it for free on my laptop.

The best Sky could do as already stated here is make a Sky Sports Fighting and show Boxing, WWE and UFC on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Very few boxing events are PPV on this side of the pond, it won't work with MMA. I would imagine Sky want the UFC to beef up their portfolio especially with the competition from BT

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement