Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Just had to inform yaz: you could win a tattoo of Conor on yer beautiful bod!

http://www.bodyartexpodublin.com/competition-2/

Best of luck!

I don't think it'd look so good on my moobs :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MagicIRL wrote: »
    JK showing the pass Conor used to mount Siever.

My Mam sent this video to me the other day.
    Was a bit of a wtf moment tbh

The people who act a certain way for the approval of people they do not even know. For the approval of society. They are the fakes.

Have to agree with that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Mellor wrote: »
    My Mam sent this video to me the other day.
    Was a bit of a wtf moment tbh

The pass or the fact your Ma sent it to ya? Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Cool Mam. Mine thinks I do Karate.

• Advertisement

Richy06 wrote: »
    The pass or the fact your Ma sent it to ya? Haha
    The fact my mam was sending me techniques clips. Was wtf at first, but then made me smile tbh.

The pass itself is solid. After the Siver fight I watched a gif of that pass I'd say 50 times.
    I like the leg drag position in general in response to the DLR.

Mellor wrote: »
    The fact my mam was sending me techniques clips. Was wtf at first, but then made me smile tbh.

The pass itself is solid. After the Siver fight I watched a gif of that pass I'd say 50 times.
    I like the leg drag position in general in response to the DLR.

Yup, me too. We've lots of really strong DLR players so Conor would've used and drilled that move a good bit, Gi & No Gi.

We also broke down and drilled this exact sequence during the Monday night No Gi session right after this fight, minus the G'n'P, with John. He'd been teaching it, and variations of it, for years. To see it pulled off in a fight like that was beautiful.

Did anyone watch the Q&A in Manila were Mighty Mouse was asked about McGregor?

It was great to see MM speak so highly of Conor's movement and understanding of distance.

Link to that part:
    http://www.mma-core.com/videos/UFC_189_Demetrious_Johnson_s_thoughts_on_Conor_McGregor_vs_Jose_Aldo/10102317

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

Did anyone watch the Q&A in Manila were Mighty Mouse was asked about McGregor?

It was great to see MM speak so highly of Conor's movement and understanding of distance.

Just when I see MM has a mic and hope he gets some much deserved attention he uses the opportunity to keep on being vanilla and not pick a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Half hour media scrum with Conor at an open training session.

He comes off as much more down to earth compared to the bigger media events.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just wondering why McGregor's opponent lies on his back with his hands between his head?

It happens a few times during the fight 10.25 for example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

CatFromHue wrote: »

Just wondering why McGregor's opponent lies on his back with his hands between his head?

It happens a few times during the fight 10.25 for example

You often see fighters do it. I assume It's a mixture between relaxing and controlling their breathing and a bit of gamesmanship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Sometimes its done to kinda prove to the ref that nothing is happening and the downed fighter would want a stand up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Once ok but the guy did it 3 or 4 times.

8.47 the ref tells him to get up, 9.53 it happens again, 10.25 as I mentioned, and again at 10.38 where the ref tells him to get up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

I've seen lots of guys do it as a resting/stalling position when they have full guard, as it prevents the opponent securing grips. But with the other guy standing, it's just looks like he's a bit gassed and trying to recover

I was there that night. The ladies fight that night was a great scrap! Tiny cage, made for grapplers rather than people fighting at distance. Didn't matter really though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Comes from the BJJ belief that they are most comfortable/confident on the ground...

It looks like a weak position to anyone used to traditional street/stand up fighting styles (because most people will be more vulnerable - esp from head kicks), but BJJ and wrestlers are at home on the mat.

Possibly also a good way of taking a rest - as long as you know what you're doing! ;)

McGregor is actually very good at countering this from what I've seen. It's not purely a defensive position either though, as I've seen quite effective knee strikes from fighters in this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Once ok but the guy did it 3 or 4 times.

8.47 the ref tells him to get up, 9.53 it happens again, 10.25 as I mentioned, and again at 10.38 where the ref tells him to get up

It might be gamesmanship but it's also a pretty natural/instinctive position. Try lying flat on your back and looking at something at the other side of the room, much more comfortable when you support your head like that instead of using your neck muscles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Richy06 wrote: »
    I was there that night. The ladies fight that night was a great scrap! Tiny cage, made for grapplers rather than people fighting at distance. Didn't matter really though.

Ye that was a great fight alright. McGregor said it was the best atmosphere he'd ever fought it. That's before his UFC days obviously

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Size of that ring!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Endthescam

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Size of that ring!

Mickey Mouse event.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Endthescam wrote: »
    Mickey Mouse event.

What's that got to do with anything

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

new interview up from MMAfighting.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Ariel is a very good interviewer, obviously he has built a very good relationship with Conor over the years and Conor is very comfortable with him but he asks some great questions and gets some great answers. He's a little ballsy too like asking Conor about his relationship with his GF, questioning him for being in LV when he said he would never leave Ireland, can you guarantee the title will in in Ireland, etc.

99% of Conor's interviews are the exact same as he goes around promoting UFC to media who may only want to publish just a couple of sound bites. So it is refreshing to see Ariel get this time with a more relaxed Conor when he is not in the middle of a media tour or leading up to a fight and cutting weight.

Ariel a great interviewer imo. He's on good terms with a lot of guys, So a lot of it is friendly chit chat but he's also willing to ask the tough questions when needed.

His first interview with Conor, pre Brimage (the people main event, etc) was really the springboard for McGregors UFC career.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah, Helwani gets a lot of stick from some people who are just trying to be cool! I like him and so do the fighters, which is why he's able to get them all onto his show. The MMA Hour is class. It's a but long but it's still class.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

Hazys wrote: »
    questioning him for being in LV when he said he would never leave Ireland

In work so havent had a chance to watch it yet, but from what i understand Conor said he would never leave Ireland to train in another gym with different coach/training partners. He brought his team thats based in Dublin to LV for the training camp.

Just in case he didnt mention it in the interview as I said I havent watched it yet haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It'd make sense to be training over there in that climate so he gets used to it before having a scrap with someone for possibly 25 minutes in fairness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement