Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Pretty good interview, some tough questions in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I thought Conor was meant to participate in a bjj tournament a few months before his big fight?? Do it ever happen or going to happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I thought Conor was meant to participate in a bjj tournament a few months before his big fight?? Do it ever happen or going to happen?

Although i don't think his UFC contract forbids it, he mentioned before after a word Dana had with him, advised him not to do it so he could avoid injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

Hazys wrote: »
    Although i don't think his UFC contract forbids it, he mentioned before after a word Dana had with him, advised him not to do it so he could avoid injury.

That and he said he would have media obligations at the time of the tournament IIRC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

The worlds is this weekend - too close to fight time. He was talking about doing the Euro No Gi but that fell during the worldwide press tour I think. Two of the lads over with Conor and the team in the Mac Mansion, Joey Breslin & Lee Hammond, are competing in the Purple Belt division at the Worlds this today. They'd be two of Conor's main training partners, although Lee is moving more towards MMA now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Watching a few different YouTube vids of Jose the last while. I'm pretty worried conors gonna lose......If he takes a knee to the head I'd say it's over there and then

I'd say it's either gonna be a knockout in the first for one of them or a points decision. Can't see it ending with a sub or a ref stoppage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If Aldo has early success with landing leg kicks then fights over. If you can take away/limit Conor's movement then you take away his biggest assets and it just turns out that Aldo has one of the best weapons, leg kick, for slowing an opponent down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

JJayoo wrote: »
    If Aldo has early success with landing leg kicks then fights over. If you can take away/limit Conor's movement then you take away his biggest assets and it just turns out that Aldo has one of the best weapons, leg kick, for slowing an opponent down.

Doesn't a southpaw neutralise this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Saipanne wrote: »
    Doesn't a southpaw neutralise this?

changes it, not necessarily neutralises it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

nc19 wrote: »
    I'd say it's either gonna be a knockout in the first for one of them or a points decision. Can't see it ending with a sub or a ref stoppage
    You can see a knockout but not a stoppage? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭foleypio

I'm getting a hard on for this fight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Mellor wrote: »
    I assume he means win will be by ko not ref stopping fight to prevent a ko

dave1982 wrote: »
    I assume he means win will be by ko not ref stopping fight to prevent a ko
    Yeah I got thats what he was saying. It makes little sense though.
    how can someone predict a KO, but can't see a TKO happening. It's not like they come about in different ways.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think its one of the central questions... an Jose negate Conors movement. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no. I think Conor is too quick and also he knows this will be Jose's approach. Everyone knows it :) Like, its not going to be a shock to anyone "wow, Jose Aldo threw a leg kick, omg!" :)

If Jose cant get some leg kicks going then the next question is, can he handle being hit by Conor. So far its been quite clear that Conor has relatively big power in his punches for the division. Jose's pretty tough tho! Its going to be interesting to see what the reaction is if Conor lands a couple of punches clean. Will Jose stand and trade (and in this regard I think Conor is right, Jose is a pretty basic rockem-sockem robot kinda fighter... straight forward no nonsense Muay Thai imho)... or will he decide he wants none of that and try to take the fight to the ground? I don't think Jose can keep Conor on the ground, he's too explosive and too athletic for that.

So where does that leave us? Well... if Conor gets the legs kicked off him its will be Aldo's fight. If Aldo cant take Conors punches then it will depend if he can keep Conor on the ground (in which case he probably wins by submission). If he cant keep him down then Conor ends up swarming him on his feet and wins by KO/TKO or points decision.

Clear? Good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

DeVore wrote: »
    I think its one of the central questions... an Jose negate Conors movement. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no. I think Conor is too quick and also he knows this will be Jose's approach. Everyone knows it :) Like, its not going to be a shock to anyone "wow, Jose Aldo threw a leg kick, omg!" :)

If Jose cant get some leg kicks going then the next question is, can he handle being hit by Conor. So far its been quite clear that Conor has relatively big power in his punches for the division. Jose's pretty tough tho! Its going to be interesting to see what the reaction is if Conor lands a couple of punches clean. Will Jose stand and trade (and in this regard I think Conor is right, Jose is a pretty basic rockem-sockem robot kinda fighter... straight forward no nonsense Muay Thai imho)... or will he decide he wants none of that and try to take the fight to the ground? I don't think Jose can keep Conor on the ground, he's too explosive and too athletic for that.

So where does that leave us? Well... if Conor gets the legs kicked off him its will be Aldo's fight. If Aldo cant take Conors punches then it will depend if he can keep Conor on the ground (in which case he probably wins by submission). If he cant keep him down then Conor ends up swarming him on his feet and wins by KO/TKO or points decision.

Clear? Good. :)

We know Aldo can take a punch, big punches, for five rounds, but he hits incredibly hard too, and we don't know how McGregor will take those punches. Certainly McGregor's best hope is if the fight is kept standing, but it's still very possible that Aldo outclasses him there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I mean like a clean ko where the recipient is out cold

obviously a tko is a stoppage

I mean like a clean ko where the recipient is out cold

obviously a tko is a stoppage

Yeah, I knew what you meant. I imagine that the poster who posted the "what??" did too.
    I think that it makes no sense. Why do you think that either could knock the other out clean, but a knock down and TKO is out of the question - it comes about in identical fashion.

Brimage, Brandao and Siver were all TKOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Yeah, I knew what you meant. I imagine that the poster who posted the "what??" did too.
    I think that it makes no sense. Why do you think that either could knock the other out clean, but a knock down and TKO is out of the question - it comes about in identical fashion.

I remember watching Ireland AM the day after the Siver fight, and they said that McGregor won by "total knockout", annoyed me more than people calling it unruled cage fights

• Advertisement

Is that not what the T in TKO stands for? :eek: ;)

i dont think either fighter will go down unless they are unconscious. A TKO can be called if the fighter is still conscious. A stoppage from a sub or 1 fighter not retaliating during a barrage of punches or kicks can result in a stoppage. I dont see either fighter going out like that after all the hype and bad blood, so, i can see it going the distance and the winner winning on points or 1 of them winning by a clean unconscious KO.

I cant make it any clearer. Its only my opinion......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

But your opinion that neither fighter will "go out like that" suggests that a tko occurs because one fighter essentially folds mentally and lets the fight get stopped.

That doesn't make sense. There could be all the bad blood in the world. The fact remains that if a fighter gets hit hard enough to not be functional enough to defend himself, but not hard enough to lose consciousness, then it will be a tko.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I wouldn't be surprised if it was stopped early if McGregor was the one doing the damage

You'd imagine the UFC would want a McGregor win, referee could be told to step in early

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I wouldn't be surprised if it was stopped early if McGregor was the one doing the damage

You'd imagine the UFC would want a McGregor win, referee could be told to step in early

Referees aren't told what to do. It's not WWE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Referees aren't told what to do. It's not WWE

The last McGregor fight I saw he was using a chair on Siver while Jon Kavanagh distracted the ref.

FACT.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The refs aren't chosen or even paid by the UFC. They are paid by the Nevada Commission.

Now, I'm not saying its impossible a ref could be slipped money by some nefarious mob-connected fight-fixer to step in on a fighter if he got the chance... it IS Vegas after all but consider the risk to the UFC's brand... a multi million, if not BILLION pound company... for the sake of what, a few million extra they MIGHT squeeze out of CmG. Its not a smart play for them or anyone connected to them.

This is a wind up right??

i dont think either fighter will go down unless they are unconscious. A TKO can be called if the fighter is still conscious. A stoppage from a sub or 1 fighter not retaliating during a barrage of punches or kicks can result in a stoppage. I dont see either fighter going out like that after all the hype and bad blood, so, i can see it going the distance and the winner winning on points or 1 of them winning by a clean unconscious KO.

I cant make it any clearer. Its only my opinion......

in fairness even for someone with the stand up ability of McGregor, clean KO's are rare. He has, I'm guessing maybe 4 or 5 out of 17 (I think) wins. Aldo probably has the same amount out of 20 something wins.

And regardless of 'bad blood' or hype, at the end of the day it will be the ref that will decide if it ends in a TKO, not the fighters. With all due respect to say that a KO is far more likely than a TKO is kinda silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Every time I read that stuff I can't help but think of think of the match-fixing thing in Italian football a few years back. So many of those involved went to prison for a long time and it ruined the Italian league for a good few years.

The people that run the UFC are also some of the biggest players in the gambling industry in America. To think that they would just risk their whole lives on a whim for the sake of throwing an official a few bucks to throw a fight is absurd. What do they gain from McGregor winning the title? A nice marketing gimmick for the yanks in having an outspoken Irish striker as the champ. Great viewing alright, but worth risking their whole lives for? I doubt it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement