Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

nc19 wrote: »
    i dont think either fighter will go down unless they are unconscious. A TKO can be called if the fighter is still conscious. A stoppage from a sub or 1 fighter not retaliating during a barrage of punches or kicks can result in a stoppage. I dont see either fighter going out like that after all the hype and bad blood, so, i can see it going the distance and the winner winning on points or 1 of them winning by a clean unconscious KO.

I cant make it any clearer. Its only my opinion......

:confused: I don't think you understand what happens when people get rocked..."Hype and bad blood" doesn't give the human body super powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

i dont think either fighter will go down unless they are unconscious. A TKO can be called if the fighter is still conscious. A stoppage from a sub or 1 fighter not retaliating during a barrage of punches or kicks can result in a stoppage. I dont see either fighter going out like that after all the hype and bad blood, so, i can see it going the distance and the winner winning on points or 1 of them winning by a clean unconscious KO.

I cant make it any clearer. Its only my opinion......
    You make out as if a TKO only happens when a conscious fighter gives in and the refs stop it. That's almost never the case, all the bad blood and hype in the world won't prevent a TKO. Nor will it prevent a knock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Dana White said Mcgregor was a penny stock, asked his guys about Mcgregor after visiting Trinity and they said nothing special etc. I don't understand that. A two weight champion in cage warriors, exciting fighter, knockout artist etc. Why was that not enough for UFC to take him seriously before he joined?

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Dana White said Mcgregor was a penny stock, asked his guys about Mcgregor after visiting Trinity and they said nothing special etc. I don't understand that. A two weight champion in cage warriors, exciting fighter, knockout artist etc. Why was that not enough for UFC to take him seriously before he joined?
    I think you might be taking the wrong context from that quote.
    Conor was fighting unknowns on a small scale. They took a shot on a straight contract (instead of say TUF), and it produced the biggest star of recent years.
    He's a penny stock that couldn't have worked out better," White says. "He's one in a million. He has that thing that you can't teach people, whatever it is that makes people gravitate toward you. He has that more than any fighter I've ever met. He makes you believe everything he believes."

The CW belt is overstated imo. Conor is not a typical CW champ. He is unique. In the last 5 years how many CW champs have their been? How many have gone on to even a mediocre run at the top level?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Just my opinion lads!!! No need to get knickers twisted. Of course I understand about tko and what not and I understand what yissers are saying but I still think what I think.......

Some of Aldos opponents got leg kicked til they wobbled then he went in for the kill, fist flying til the ref stopped it......can't see that happening to conor.

Conor likes to rock his opponents predominantly with punches and then in for the kill til the ref stops it......can't see that happening to aldo.

Both fighters like to keep things standing up from what I've seen so it's hard to see a sub on the ground being the decider.

Aldos got wicked kicks and conors got pretty decent kicks too, if either landed a kick in the right spot on the jaw or whatever it could well be a clean ko.

I can't see either fighter being backed into a corner and beaten until the ref stops it, I just don't think it's in them to go out like that. I think they both will keep swinging until they physically can't because they are out cold.

Just my opinions lads!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

DrPhilG wrote:
    That doesn't make sense. There could be all the bad blood in the world. The fact remains that if a fighter gets hit hard enough to not be functional enough to defend himself, but not hard enough to lose consciousness, then it will be a tko.

I understand your point, don't see it happening though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Just my opinion lads!!! No need to get knickers twisted. Of course I understand about tko and what not and I understand what yissers are saying but I still think what I think.......

Some of Aldos opponents got leg kicked til they wobbled then he went in for the kill, fist flying til the ref stopped it......can't see that happening to conor.

Conor likes to rock his opponents predominantly with punches and then in for the kill til the ref stops it......can't see that happening to aldo.

Both fighters like to keep things standing up from what I've seen so it's hard to see a sub on the ground being the decider.

Aldos got wicked kicks and conors got pretty decent kicks too, if either landed a kick in the right spot on the jaw or whatever it could well be a clean ko.

I can't see either fighter being backed into a corner and beaten until the ref stops it, I just don't think it's in them to go out like that. I think they both will keep swinging until they physically can't because they are out cold.

Just my opinions lads!

You're entitled to your opinion. And we're entitled to say its a load of old bollocks.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I understand your point, don't see it happening though

Lol, your call. But you have made absolutely no logical sense in explaining your opinion.

No sense flogging the dead horse any further though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

its possible to stay conscious past the point where most people would cave in, look at Junior dos Santos for example

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How do people usually join the UFC so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Dana White stands down at the dole queue and signs up the lads wearing TapOut gear on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Richy06 wrote: »
    Dana White stands down at the dole queue and signs up the lads wearing TapOut gear on the spot.

I heard he walks around town after 2am and signs up whoever wins drunken street fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Richy06 wrote: »

Not as simple as that. They have to be drinking monster too

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You might think yer joking but two words.... Kimbo Slice :)

DeVore wrote: »
    You might think yer joking but two words.... Kimbo Slice :)
    Not really. He purposely refused to sign Kimbo directly, as said he should try out for TUF like everyone else.
    Isn't that what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mellor wrote: »
    Not really. He purposely refused to sign Kimbo directly, as said he should try out for TUF like everyone else.
    Isn't that what happened?

yeah, more or less, first fight in the house was against Roy Nelson, a fight which probably could have headlined elitexc, Nelson destroyed him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

srumball wrote: »

Aldo and his team arguing that they didn't want an unidentified person taking possession of a sample. Doesn't really hold water as far as I'm concerned.

Unless it was a genuine NSAC rep, adhering to NSAC protocol the sample would never have been tested either way. In fairness, what could someone actually do with a jar of piss? Its not like they could rig a test.

Apparently Brazil's own indigenous Athletic Commision will be taking a sample tomorrow and sending it to the same WADA lab as the original would have been going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

John_D80 wrote: »

Apparently Brazil's own indigenous Athletic Commision will be taking a sample tomorrow and sending it to the same WADA lab as the original would have been going to.

They only got accreditation back last month after a 2 year ban of sorts.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-14/brazil-doping-lab-gets-olympic-all-clear-wada/6469012

dreamers75 wrote: »
    They only got accreditation back last month after a 2 year ban of sorts.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-14/brazil-doping-lab-gets-olympic-all-clear-wada/6469012
    I think it's being sent to the WADA lab in Utah, that might have changed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

This was pretty cool, high praise from Jean-Claude Van Damme:

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Mind blown

method=get&s=conor-mcgregor-06-11-2015-20-12-37-887.jpg

69410cb43e5c89a48bb3f343e34b962a.jpg

11049434_908634932500845_774017704_n.jpg

Josh Mario John
    https://instagram.com/spizoiky/

Too close to be co-incidence for me and stupid if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Yeah, Conor is definitely copying some random model. What with having the same natural hair colour, a fairly generic hairstyle, completely different chest tattoos and very vaguely similar stomach pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

moneyman wrote: »
    Yeah, Conor is definitely copying some random model. What with having the same natural hair colour, a fairly generic hairstyle, completely different chest tattoos and very vaguely similar stomach pieces.

Shhhhhh he needs something to justify his man crush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

I see mcgregor stole his entire look from someone

All over sherdog and twitter.

Pathetic

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/looks-like-conor-mcgregor-swaggerjacked-canadian-part-ii-threads-merged-3013213/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Pathetic

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/looks-like-conor-mcgregor-swaggerjacked-canadian-part-ii-threads-merged-3013213/

Nah he didn't as already pointed out. His chest tattoo is the SBG logo. The tiger is hideous but didn't he mention prior to getting the tattoo that he'd like to be known as the Celtic Tiger? I'm pretty sure that would have played into it.

The whole argument is bizarre anyway, even if he did like someone elses tattoos and replicated them, who gives a ****? 99% of tattoos are copied from someone else. This is just another weird stick to beat him with for sad people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

coincidence I think, 'steal' is a strong word, the sport is about taking things from different styles, thats what hipsters do as well I suppose

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Pathetic

Welcome to 5 days ago...still as boring a topic now as it was then. Guy has tats a beard and somewhat the same hairstyle. Didnt know this was McGregors look in the first place..considering every hipster known to man has it *yawn*

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I'm afraid I have to take responsibility for the beard. Before he went to Iceland to train afew years back he was beginning to grow it out and spotted my own fairly significant one, pre everybody in the country growing one. "Hey Richy, nice beard, yeah!" he says, upon noticing it's majesticness after a roll one time. 3 months later? Beard mania.

In all seriousness, anyone who actually cares or think it's 'pathetic' that Conor shares some similarities with some Instamodel or think he's gone and lifted the whole look would seriously want to look at their priorities. Maybe if you used that energy for something productive you might feel much better with your life, ya sad b*stards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement