Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

winston82 wrote: »
    It looks like the pressure is creeping in. Worrying times.

what are you basing this on?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

winston82 wrote: »
    It looks like the pressure is creeping in. Worrying times.

Its not worrying, its the complete opposite imo. If he wasnt showing a few signs of pressure I would be more concerned. Hes about to have the biggest fight of his life, hes coming to the end of a tough training period with weight cuts, media obligations and the fact the fight might be off. Its all bound to bring its pressure and stresses. The thing with McGregor that he always says is the minute he walks towards that octagon it all goes away and thats when he is at his calmest. I have no doubt once he walks out we will see a McGregor thats in his zone, relaxed and ready to do the job at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Do they (SBG) use IV's? Is there any reason why he wouldn't be able to get them?
    CM24 wrote: »
    I'm sure he's not started doing water manipulation or whatever else they do just yet but he's most certainly on lowered calories. Even just looking at this recent interview, he looks skinnier and lacks the energy he usually has.
    Looking at his updates the last few weeks, he's looks on track for "fight weight" for a while now. I'd guess he eating to maintain now.
    Regardless, even if he still has a few lbs to shave off before the cut, traveling/flying around won't affect that.

Edit: If the fight was switched to 155 he'd want to eat way more as he'd want to put on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Apparently Ronda refuses to use an IV bag as they weren't allowed under WADA rules for the olympics.
    Now that UFC is going under USADA for PEDs, the IV bags will likely be banned without a TUE.

• Advertisement

Looks pretty smooth and fluid in his latest video.
    REally like that arm spin near the start, and the leg weave towards the end. Tried to replicate before, but never works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

You are correct Mellor,I take it back he looks fantastic in this video.

A few leg kicks would have landed in that video!

Looking good.

You are correct Mellor,I take it back he looks fantastic in this video.
    I meant to actually post it too. But that's the one. To be fair it only went up just after your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Conors wrestling is looking slick, from that video anyway...think alot of these 'conor cant fight a wrestler' types could be in for a shock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Depp wrote: »
    Conors wrestling is looking slick, from that video anyway...think alot of these 'conor cant fight a wrestler' types could be in for a shock

I always thought that was silly. As if he doesn't train on the ground EVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Saipanne wrote: »

To be fair it stinks of desperation from those trying to find fault in his abilities. It was a long list of things before his ground game was one of the few things not verified yet.

If he beats Aldo and then Mendes/Edgar I wonder what direction the criticism will go. People might event accuse him of stealing some Scandinavian's look...

Yeah its a bit rediculous to be fair, saying he cant wrestle just cause hes never needed to!...plus conor seems like the type of guy whos not gunna leave out such a crucial part of the game from his training, lot of people seem to forget hes a brown belt aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

So from a 1 minute training video Conor now has "slick" wrestling right.

When people talk about Conor's wrestling they are comparing it to the guys he will eventually compete against ie Mendes and Frankie both of which are at the top level so yes his wrestling will be a weakness when he fights guys who have been wrestling since they were 9 and 10 years old.

JJayoo wrote: »
    So from a 1 minute training video Conor now has "slick" wrestling right.

When people talk about Conor's wrestling they are comparing it to the guys he will eventually compete against ie Mendes and Frankie both of which are at the top level so yes his wrestling will be a weakness when he fights guys who have been wrestling since they were 9 and 10 years old.

Read my post again there, what i said was his wrestling was 'looking slick, 'from that video anyway', i didnt say 'this video proves mcgregors wrestling is slick' so read my posts before you attack them, also its silly the way its said that mcgregors wrestling is this and its that and as soon as he comes up against a 'wrestler' hes just gunna be held against the cage and nullified the whole match, which is rediculous, the point i was trying to make was that going on that video, mcgregor looks like hes not too shabby on the mat, also its not like someone with mcgregors work ethic and training habits is going to neglect any aspect of mixed martial arts. Another point thats important is aldo absolutely smoked chad and frankie and aldo has no amateur wrestling background, i just think theres much too high an emphasis on wrestling and its not as important as some people would lead you to believe.

Anyway rant over, G'wan McGregor!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Lutter gave Anderson a fright when Anderson was in his prime and Lutter was severely dehydrated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Depp wrote: »
    Read my post again there, what i said was his wrestling was 'looking slick, 'from that video anyway', i didnt say 'this video proves mcgregors wrestling is slick' so read my posts before you attack them, also its silly the way its said that mcgregors wrestling is this and its that and as soon as he comes up against a 'wrestler' hes just gunna be held against the cage and nullified the whole match, which is rediculous, the point i was trying to make was that going on that video, mcgregor looks like hes not too shabby on the mat,

I wasn't attacking you post/point but that video is 1 minute long and at a very low intensity level you can't really tell anything from that video except that they are going over technique. And yes I do believe that his wrestling will be poor compared to mendes/frankie but on the other hand he has other attributes that are better than mendes/frankie I mean his reach advantage combined with his movement would make it very hard for either wrestler mentioned to close the gap

You could train grappling for a few years and still not be close to ready to deal with a good MMA grappler.
    Nobody thought he doesn't train on the ground EVER, the doubters were at least aware of his purple belt.

^This
    The video was highlight his movement. And training smart at this point.
    The intensity was too low to draw any conclusions. If they were both going full clip it would be a different video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

How are people here rating McGregor as a grappler? His ground credentials could be seriously tested on the night of the 11th. How do ye reckon he will handle Mendes if it goes to the mat?

Never having seen him grapple in the flesh I can only base my own personal opinion on what I've seen of Mcgregor in fight videos.

His win over Dave Hill for me was outstanding against one of the better MMA grapplers on the european scene and against Max Holloway he seemed so relaxed and in control in the grappling exchanges (on the feet as well as on the ground) where he executed some beautiful passes to land strikes when Holloway was on his back. And against Siver, he pretty much stifled (or reversed) any attempted TD with ease, and who can forget that pass where his leg seemed to pass through Siver's thigh! (Any one have that GIF by the way?)

Offensively, I think he is solid, but what will he be like if he is under pressure on his back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

John_D80 wrote: »
    How are people here rating McGregor as a grappler? His ground credentials could be seriously tested on the night of the 11th. How do ye reckon he will handle Mendes if it goes to the mat?

Never having seen him grapple in the flesh I can only base my own personal opinion on what I've seen of Mcgregor in fight videos.

His win over Dave Hill for me was outstanding against one of the better MMA grapplers on the european scene and against Max Holloway he seemed so relaxed and in control in the grappling exchanges (on the feet as well as on the ground) where he executed some beautiful passes to land strikes when Holloway was on his back. And against Siver, he pretty much stifled (or reversed) any attempted TD with ease, and who can forget that pass where his leg seemed to pass through Siver's thigh! (Any one have that GIF by the way?)

Offensively, I think he is solid, but what will he be like if he is under pressure on his back?

Conor would be a black belt quality under a lot of instructors.

In MMA he'd manhandle most black belts on the ground like Weidman.

Not all Black belts are equal. I don't think mendes would be able to finish him on the ground and I also don't think he'll be able to take him down if it goes past the second round.

John_D80 wrote: »
    And against Siver, he pretty much stifled (or reversed) any attempted TD with ease, and who can forget that pass where his leg seemed to pass through Siver's thigh! (Any one have that GIF by the way?)
    Leg Weave pass, aka BJ Penn's "Dope Mount" pass

1422377422ConorLegDrag.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Mellor wrote: »
    Leg Weave pass, aka BJ Penn's "Dope Mount" pass

1422377422ConorLegDrag.gif

Its almost hypnotic to watch. Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

Hey guys,

Last night I got a bad text off my mate, his dad has suffered a massive heart attack this evening and is on life support, he had 3 tickets to ufc 189 but obviously now isn't going.

He asked me would I know anyone who would like to buy them at face value but he'd rather give them to a genuine fan as opposed to selling them online or getting a refund in case somebody wanted to go but didn't get tickets.

If you're interested in them or know someone that is can you please pm me and I'll arrange something. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ireland888

johnpro wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Last night I got a bad text off my mate, his dad has suffered a massive heart attack this evening and is on life support, he had 3 tickets to ufc 189 but obviously now isn't going.

He asked me would I know anyone who would like to buy them at face value but he'd rather give them to a genuine fan as opposed to selling them online or getting a refund in case somebody wanted to go but didn't get tickets.

If you're interested in them or know someone that is can you please pm me and I'll arrange something. Thanks

Hi john pro, Irishman living in Chicago whose been following Conor since his debut in Stockholm. I can get there with relative ease, but was suppose to be in Ireland this summer so don't have tickets already. I'll pay face value as that's what your friend paid, sorry about the hardships. And I can't pm because just joined to message you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ireland888

Sorry everyone pm works carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

johnpro wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Jesus. That is rough. Hope all turns out OK for your mate's Father and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Really good write up about Conor. Was not expecting to see something of this calibre on Gawker.
    http://tmi.kotaku.com/how-the-biggest-fight-in-ufc-history-fell-apart-1715498065#_ga=1.151214329.1737350192.1419268568

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

RTE will be showing the first series of The Notorious on Wed and Thurs night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement