Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

This does not make any sense. Take down defence is wrestling.

Fine is a nice way to put undefeated in 10 years and champion at the highest level for 7.
    I took "fine" from your quote. What he has done is incredible and he deserves all the plaudits he has.
    Mastering one aspect of a sport is not equivalent to being a master(I haven't watched him enough to know what the level of his wrestling skills outside take down defense is)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

What a weird series of posts. To say styles don't make fights is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard from a fight fan.

Aldo has some of the best TDD ever seen in mma but basically never uses offensive wrestling, Chad on the other hand has outstanding wrestling and will use it offensively. Conors wrestling is basically unknown but may have been avoided against Aldo, but not Mendes. Hence the style dilemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

He pulled it out of his culo, or should I say the other fella's lol. Serious echo in the room.

I obviously must be homosexual if I have a different opinion, based on years of training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

This does not make any sense. Take down defence is wrestling.

I know. They're talking nonsense.

What a weird series of posts. To say styles don't make fights is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard from a fight fan.

Aldo has some of the best TDD ever seen in mma but basically never uses offensive wrestling, Chad on the other hand has outstanding wrestling and will use it offensively. Conors wrestling is basically unknown but may have been avoided against Aldo, but not Mendes. Hence the style dilemma.

It is an old adage thrown around, and used often to explain what is difficult to put into words.

But I truly believe that if you are good enough, you should not have a style. You should be able to adapt and be comfortable in all situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

It looks to me like the silly police are on the beat today
    Saipanne wrote: »
    That's just silly.
    I do understand. It's still silly.
    To think a guy who has lost twice to Aldo would be a tougher fight is silly. It doesn't make sense.

Of course it makes sense. Conor has been training for and studying Aldo's technique for months obviously. A guy who likes to fight standing up.

Exactly where Conors strength's lie. Conor has everything going for him in that fight IMO and they have been working out good strategies for it.

Aldo pulls out and in steps Mendes with a completely different set of skills and physique. A great little fighter. What's so difficult to understand?

It is an old adage thrown around, and used often to explain what is difficult to put into words.

But I truly believe that if you are good enough, you should not have a style. You should be able to adapt and be comfortable in all situations.

The very best can adapt but you'll as always be better and more comfortable in one area than another. Champions want to fight the fight on their terms to best exploit their opponents weaknesses. Every fighter has strengths and weaknesses, places they want the fight to go and areas they'd rather avoid. Thats where its all about the style match-up. With Chad, its more likely to go where he doesn't want it (on his back). He will of course adapt but Conor will 100% always be more comfortable standing in a fight.

Panic E wrote: »
    What's so difficult to understand?

How you manage to be so wrong, and yet, truly believe you are correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Cos it's a matter of opinion, just cos he doesn't agree with you doesn't make him wrong.

Who are you, the person marking my homework??

You haven't said one single constructive thing yet.

• Advertisement

All you've done is make statements so far - that's wrong, that's silly, that's nonsense. You haven't actually put one half decent argument together yet. How about some reasoning?

You haven't said one single constructive thing yet.
    He pulled it out of his culo, or should I say the other fella's lol.

Hard to take you seriously, tbf...

Hard to take you seriously, tbf...

I never asked to be taken seriously, tbf…

I simply gave an opinion on this bout and asked other's of theirs.

The one thing you havent provided, tbf...

I never asked to be taken seriously, tbf…

I simply gave an opinion on this bout and asked other's of theirs.

The one thing you havent provided, tbf...

Easier to put you on ignore. Enjoy the bandwagon.

Easier to put you on ignore. Enjoy the bandwagon.

I would suggest you might have ignored me all along, seeing as you had nothing worthwhile to say.

Cheers and you, enjoy belittling someones else's opinion if you can do. You spelt Saipan wrong btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ibrahimovic

If he loses, which I don't think he will. I'll bet anyone on here a fiver he quotes his good friend Arnold "I'll be back".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Thing bout mma that I have learned is and I don't train is. Just because Aldo can beat Mendes don't mean , Mendes is easier fight for Conor .l

Conor could beat Aldo but Mendes can't, still don't mean conor can beat Mendes.

Fighters are more well rounded than what they were years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Aldo is not a wrestler and he seems to have been doing just fine over the past 7 years a champion.

To think a guy who has lost twice to Aldo would be a tougher fight is silly. It doesn't make sense.

fighters make fights not styles.

What the hell are you all on about?

MMA Math doesn't work.

Styles make fights!

Also, fighters sometimes make fights!

Aldo is better than Mendes, does this mean necessarily that Mendes is an easier fight for McGregor? No!

In fact, i'm of the opinion that Mendes is a tougher fight for McGregor than Aldo would've been due to the styles of both Mendes & McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Am I right in saying Mendes was all over Aldo in the last couple of rounds of their last fight?

Im not sure if Im mixing their fight up with another one. My memory is Aldo winning the first 3 rounds comfortably but Mendes the last 2 and in particular the last round.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Mendes was losing in 1-2, then narrowly won rounds 3-4 and then 5 was something of a stalemate - wasn't much between em and a unanimous decision was debatable.

in terms of striking I had it even, Aldo was a lot more wild in his approach with flying knees and kicks - both fighters took a bit of punishment.

From a takedown perspective Mendes was able to get Aldo a few times throughout the fight but got nothing done, I remember the ref constantly telling him to get active or they would be stood up

• Advertisement

What the hell are you all on about?

MMA Math doesn't work.

Styles make fights!

Also, fighters sometimes make fights!

Aldo is better than Mendes, does this mean necessarily that Mendes is an easier fight for McGregor? No!

In fact, i'm of the opinion that Mendes is a tougher fight for McGregor than Aldo would've been due to the styles of both Mendes & McGregor.

Its up to the fighters to make the fight. What is the point of being the champion if you can only beat certain fighting styles in your division but will loose when someone is good at a different one?

The point of MMA use everything and not rely on one style of combat over another.

In my opinion its down to the fighter and not the style that makes the fight. But its easier for people to think "wrestler v striker" so everyone repeats the same stylistic stuff we have been hearing for years.

Conor himself believes he has no style.

Its up to the fighters to make the fight. What is the point of being the champion if you can only beat certain fighting styles in your division but will loose when someone is good at a different one?

The point of MMA use everything and not rely on one style of combat over another.

In my opinion its down to the fighter and not the style that makes the fight. But its easier for people to think "wrestler v striker" so everyone repeats the same stylistic stuff we have been hearing for years.

Conor himself believes he has no style.

And Aldo could never have been so dominant for so long without being a well balanced fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

So the question is whether one of the most dominant champions in MMA history would have been the easier fight?

That's just silly.

styles make fights, that is a fact
    This fight is going to be a totally different fight than Aldo v Conor which could have just been a K1 match, This match could end up as a grappling match, so if Conor is weak in the area he could lose were he could beat the best fighter by been stronger in the striking department, There is no doubt this potentially is a harder fight and it's due to styles not Mendes been the better fighter than Aldo who is the best fighter in the division without a doubt.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    styles make fights, that is a fact
    This fight is going to be a totally different fight than Aldo v Conor which could have just been a K1 match, This match could end up as a grappling match, so if Conor is weak in the area he could lose were he could beat the best fighter by been stronger in the striking department, There is no doubt this potentially is a harder fight and it's due to styles not Mendes been the better fighter than Aldo who is the best fighter in the division without a doubt.

Well if its a fact then the case is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Mendes 6/4 to win or 7/2 to win by Tko or Submission,crazy odds

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Well if its a fact then the case is closed.

It is and i explained exactly why, care to refute my reasoning?

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    It is and i explained exactly why, care to refute my reasoning?

No, I agree now. You swayed me.

No, I agree now. You swayed me.

Your ignorance is hilarious.

Your ignorance is hilarious.

Good stuff. Let's drop it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Tedious page is tedious!

How do people see the fight going? I think it'll be tougher than a lot of people are expecting.

The reach advantage should really help McGregor but He will definitely get taken down more than we've seen to date in the UFC.

Ultimately I reckon he wins by k/o in the 2nd or 3rd round.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement