Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Its up to the fighters to make the fight. What is the point of being the champion if you can only beat certain fighting styles in your division but will loose when someone is good at a different one?

The point of MMA use everything and not rely on one style of combat over another.

In my opinion its down to the fighter and not the style that makes the fight. But its easier for people to think "wrestler v striker" so everyone repeats the same stylistic stuff we have been hearing for years.

Conor himself believes he has no style.

What you're talking about here is being a champion, not a fight. The vast vast majority of fights aren't competed at championship level.

We're not quite at that stage where the majority of fighters come from "MMA". Most come from a different disciplines. Almost every fight you watch has two guys with different styles.

I honestly have no idea how this is so difficult to understand. How can anyone who has seen more than 3 MMA fights not know that different styles exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

styles make fights, that is a fact
    This fight is going to be a totally different fight than Aldo v Conor which could have just been a K1 match, This match could end up as a grappling match, so if Conor is weak in the area he could lose were he could beat the best fighter by been stronger in the striking department, There is no doubt this potentially is a harder fight and it's due to styles not Mendes been the better fighter than Aldo who is the best fighter in the division without a doubt.

I am not disagreeing with your logic. In my opinion in MMA the best fighters will always come to the top. To be a complete fighter there should not be a kryponite style that you cannot deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

What you're talking about here is being a champion, not a fight. The vast vast majority of fights aren't competed at championship level.

We're not quite at that stage where the majority of fighters come from "MMA". Most come from a different disciplines. Almost every fight you watch has two guys with different styles.

I honestly have no idea how this is so difficult to understand. How can anyone who has seen more than 3 MMA fights not know that different styles exist

I suppose I just have a different way of looking at things. I don't like to pin people down by style but rather their preference as a fighter.

Maybe it just easier to say "styles make fights" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I am not disagreeing with your logic. In my opinion in MMA the best fighters will always come to the top. To be a complete fighter there should not be a kryponite style that you cannot deal with.
    Ok just to take that point.
    We don't know if conor is a complete fighter yet as we havent seen him get into a wrestling match(something mendes will probably try to push towards).
    But we do know he is very good at stand up. I believe this is why people say that mendes "could" be a tougher fight

Its up to the fighters to make the fight. What is the point of being the champion if you can only beat certain fighting styles in your division but will loose when someone is good at a different one?

The point of MMA use everything and not rely on one style of combat over another.

In my opinion its down to the fighter and not the style that makes the fight. But its easier for people to think "wrestler v striker" so everyone repeats the same stylistic stuff we have been hearing for years.

Conor himself believes he has no style.

I don’t get the point your trying to make here really. You’re talking about how fighters should all be well rounded in every area and be a true mixed martial artist. Fair enough that should be the case in an ideal world. But the fact remains this is not the case. There are different styles in this sport, some are better at one thing than another and this is where the phrase ‘style makes fights’ comes from. In this case Chad is an elite wrestler and will pose Conor much more problems in the grappling area than Aldo would have. Thus making it a potentially tougher fight for McGregor.

• Advertisement

Conor is an example of a fighter who has spent most of his martial arts life doing "MMA" (even if Joe keeps telling us he was the Irish Amateur Boxing champ). Rory McDonald is always another one who is cited as a pure MMA guy. He doesn't have a solid base in other disciplines.

It's becoming a bigger thing too. But most fighters these days will come from college wrestling, or are BJJ Black Belts who have made the move to MMA and learned to strike etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Conor is an example of a fighter who has spent most of his martial arts life doing "MMA" (even if Joe keeps telling us he was the Irish Amateur Boxing champ). Rory McDonald is always another one who is cited as a pure MMA guy. He doesn't have a solid base in other disciplines.

It's becoming a bigger thing too. But most fighters these days will come from college wrestling, or are BJJ Black Belts who have made the move to MMA and learned to strike etc.
    Do you consider Aldo to be pure MMA at this point?
    He's been top level on all aspects for so long.

Yes I do.

But his style is different to Mendes', which is the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

I just seen Conor's tiger tattoo.

It looks a bit gimmicky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ru437z9t8fidq2

Have to say the odds on this fight are insane.

Getting Mendes at these odds is very hard to turn down. We simply do not know how good McG is yet as he hasn't fought a world class opponent yet but we know for sure that Mendes was very close to winning the belt not long ago.. yet he is somehow underdog?......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Have to say the odds on this fight are insane.

Getting Mendes at these odds is very hard to turn down. We simply do not know how good McG is yet as he hasn't fought a world class opponent yet but we know for sure that Mendes was very close to winning the belt not long ago.. yet he is somehow underdog?......

Mendes wasn't close to winning the belt. He lost 4 out of 5 rounds on the scorecards.
    Which is basically the same result that Lamas, Hominick, Florian and Edgar ended up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

True but there is clearly a gap between Aldo Frankie, Mendes and the rest. As things stand all 3 should be favourite vs Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Both Mendes and McGregor are pressure fighters who like to walk down their opponent, how do ye think this dynamic will play out? I think Mendes will be happy to take shots in order to shoot for takedowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ru437z9t8fidq2

Mellor wrote: »
    Mendes wasn't close to winning the belt. He lost 4 out of 5 rounds on the scorecards.
    Which is basically the same result that Lamas, Hominick, Florian and Edgar ended up with.

Good point maybe I shouldn't say very close.

However, it was an excellent fight and as mcgregor himself said it could have gone either way. I don't think mendes was far off despite the scorecards.

Do you think he should be underdog in this fight? And if so why do you think mcgregor deserves to be favourite?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Good point maybe I shouldn't say very close.

However, it was an excellent fight and as mcgregor himself said it could have gone either way. I don't think mendes was far off despite the scorecards.

Do you think he should be underdog in this fight? And if so why do you think mcgregor deserves to be favourite?

If Mcgregor was any other nationality then we would all think he is a huge underdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Chad's odds are mad to me too. The only turn off is the late notice but I've still backed him. I'd consider Chad one of the best fighters p4p not holding a belt, he troubled Aldo like no one had seen before. I think it'll be a cracking fight but I give the edge to Chad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

JJayoo wrote: »
    If Mcgregor was any other nationality then we would all think he is a huge underdog.

Would make sense if he was a huge underdog in the betting market in every other country.

Its not his nationality, its just the way McGregor is. The hype, the striking, the charisma, etc. If he was English, American, or Portuguese, we'd probably hold the same opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Trond wrote: »

Ultimately I reckon he wins by k/o in the 2nd or 3rd round.

My tenner bet hopes that it's round 3 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Big McGregor fan but I've backed Mendes.. Partially because it'll be some consolation if Conor loses!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Those betting on Mendes, the vast majority of public money will be going on McGregor so you will even get a bigger price before the sharps load on Mendes (presumably).
    Mellor wrote: »

Yep.

Round 1 before Aldo received an eye poke Mendes was doing very well in, but Aldo ultimately won that round as he turned into a different beast once the action got going again. Mendes pretty clearly won round 4, but other than that while holding his own for parts of rounds, Aldo did win 4 rounds IMO.

Would be interested to hear your prediction for McGregor/Mendes, Mellor? Apologies if you have already and I've missed it, it's just difficult to keep up with the threads given the volume of posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

In Sport I'm naturally pessimistic with an individual or team I'm heavily invested in, but I strongly believe Conor has this. The confidence, his reach and the alignment of the stars... The Notorious has this. Round one and done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b1Pxzn2Wq4

Why in the fight vs Brendao was Mcgregor listed as 5''11??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Paully D wrote: »
    Those betting on Mendes, the vast majority of public money will be going on McGregor so you will even get a bigger price before the sharps load on Mendes (presumably).

Yep.

Round 1 before Aldo received an eye poke Mendes was doing very well in, but Aldo ultimately won that round as he turned into a different beast once the action got going again. Mendes pretty clearly won round 4, but other than that while holding his own for parts of rounds, Aldo did win 4 rounds IMO.

Would be interested to hear your prediction for McGregor/Mendes, Mellor? Apologies if you have already and I've missed it, it's just difficult to keep up with the threads given the volume of posts.

To be fair to Chad in round 1 , Aldo hit him with two nasty shots after the bell had gone and he had dropped his guard, he should have been deducted a point for that because it effected Chad early in the 2nd round , he wasn't recovered from it...dirty shot IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

nocoverart wrote: »
    In Sport I'm naturally pessimistic with an individual or team I'm heavily invested in, but I strongly believe Conor has this. The confidence, his reach and the alignment of the stars... The Notorious has this. Round one and done!

I think Chad to be fair is a lot tougher than a round one knockout. He fought on after the after the bell shots with Aldo for a further 4 rounds. I think Conor will win, but Chad wont go down easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Irishcrx wrote: »
    To be fair to Chad in round 1 , Aldo hit him with two nasty shots after the bell had gone and he had dropped his guard, he should have been deducted a point for that because it effected Chad early in the 2nd round , he wasn't recovered from it...dirty shot IMO

Ah, I'd give Aldo the benefit of the doubt for that. Even Mendes' corner said they didn't hear the bell. No doubting it had an impact however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gray Mimicry

not sure if its been posted yet (and its a poor game to be fair) but apparently this is a thing http://brightheadgames.com/KingOfDub/ ..... :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

not sure if its been posted yet (and its a poor game to be fair) but apparently this is a thing http://brightheadgames.com/KingOfDub/ ..... :confused:

Why the :confused: - its clearly just a bit of tongue and cheek and makes a bit of fun of Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gray Mimicry

Axwell wrote: »
    Why the :confused: - its clearly just a bit of tongue and cheek and makes a bit of fun of Aldo.

just find it funny that someone spent all that time developing that is all :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Doubt they spent that long on it considering how short it is and the fact its for a bit of craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anybody seen the amount of autographed Conor items in the U.S UFC store, around 20 different signed items, all from $80 upwards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement