Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

People keep going on about how it is getting him attention that is all that matters, yet complain about negative attention in this forum. Of course i don't take it seriously, i don't care about the disrespecting opponents once you are actually interesting/funny in your smack talk. Heard one interview you have heard them all and quite frankly it is plain old boring at this stage. That said I can't wait to watch him fight, not because of the smack talk but because he is exciting to watch.

Big rolleyes at the D4 comment btw, do you really believe the bull**** you came out with? Considering i have as strong a Dublin accent as Conor..

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Davei141 wrote: »
    Big rolleyes at the D4 comment btw, do you really believe the bull**** you came out with? Considering i have as strong a Dublin accent as Conor..

well maybe that was a bit exaggerated what i said but people are calling him a bully, thug etc when they have not got one example of it

He does talk crap at times but its all banter. Its getting him recognised and puttin Irish mma on the map

well maybe that was a bit exaggerated what i said but people are calling him a bully, thug etc when they have not got one example of it

He does talk crap at times but its all banter. Its getting him recognised and puttin Irish mma on the map

Well the bully and thug stuff i wouldn't know about or pay heed to at the moment. My gripe is how boring the smack talk has been at this stage, mix it up he is allowed have an honest opinion too it doesn't have to be 100% an act.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Finally got around to watching him on the Late Late. Came across really well I thought.

"There's a flamingo on the back of this suit"

Nearly burst my bollocks laughing at that.

For all the shíte talk between himself and Miller, I thought he came across very relaxed and in his element and enjoying the limelight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

I'm praying to Allah himself that this hype comes crashing down with a mediocre submission. The bandwagon jumpers will never go near MMA again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

Thomas D wrote: »
    I'm praying to Allah himself that this hype comes crashing down with a mediocre submission. The bandwagon jumpers will never go near MMA again.

Why

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Why would you want less people watching the sport? And what do you deem a "bandwagon jumper"? Somebody following the sport 6 months? A year? Or do you have to have watched UFC 1 on grainy vhs no later than January 1994 to qualify as a real fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Out of all your 423 posts, 10 are in the MMA forum, now we welcome newcomers here, but we welcome them on the proviso that they respect our sport and are willing to contribute to the forum and are open to learning, damn, most of us have been into this sport for years and still learn something new every day.

ALL of your posts in the MMA forum have been slagging Conor, what did he do to you that makes you so angry? Did he take your pocket money? Ride your sister?

The guy is young and a HUGE prospect, give him a break or stick to other forums

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

I though he came across pretty well in the interview also but looking at almost every comment on the late late thread, it seems not.

God help them if the average late late viewer had to sit through his last interview :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Conor want's the you either love him or hate him part of his game.

Conor want's it, it will get him paid at the end of the day.

Posters on here take it way too personally when people say they want Conor to lose.Do ye think Conor cares ye are here trying to defend him.Em, No we all just meal tickets for him buying seats in the 02 and getting him paid.

I'll be tuning in to see all of Conors fights just like I do for Bisping in hope he gets Ko'd Hendo style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Slagging people off for taking an interest in MMA... Solid logic alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

LOL. Miller has good JJ. And people vastly underestimate Conor's JJ too. I think they would be surprised how much better he is now than what he was when he was 21... LOL.

I don't see Miller submitting McGregor easily. Conor will be hard to takedown, his footwork is so sick and his boxing is sublime; and Miller is NOT (*had ti edit that there :P) a top class wrestler.

But hey, w/e. I'm here for a good show, but I hope our very own Irishman will win, and I won't cry if he loses. I really don't get people with an attitude like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thomas D wrote:
    ... The bandwagon jumpers ...
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Out of all your 423 posts, 10 are in the MMA forum...
    ALL of your posts in the MMA forum have been slagging Conor
    Confused-Baby.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/content/news/21152-record-breaking-ufc-dublin-sales-will-unlock-title-shot-insists-mcgregor
    Conor McGregor today revealed he’s had a bet with UFC president Dana White that should UFC Fight Night Dublin on July 19th be the fastest selling card in UFC history he’ll land a shot at the featherweight title belt.

The Irishman lit up today’s UFC Fight Night Dublin conference call despite the absence of headline opponent Cole Miller, and once again reaffirmed his desire to claim a shot at the UFC featherweight belt before the end of the year.

Speaking from his training camp in Iceland, where he’ll spend the next five weeks working alongside teammate and co-headliner Gunnar Nelson, McGregor admits he’s getting ready for the biggest night of his live – and the biggest night in the history of Irish MMA.

The 26-year-old said: “I want the whole of Irish MMA to capitalize on this. I want an entire generation to follow me. But I’m still quiet young and I'm only getting started.

“This means everything to me. I’m not hear to make up the numbers. This is the first UFC Fight Night to go on Fox. Fox TV in America want this fight because they know what it means. This will be the fastest selling show in UFC history. We’ve got terrestrial TV in Ireland to show this fight as well. I am shooting right to the top. I text Dana and bet him a title shot that this is the fastest selling event in UFC history.”

McGregor once again questioned both Miller’s and the rest of the 145lb division’s championship desires, and insisted he’s not willing to wait in line for his shot. On July 19th he’s claiming it.

“What are Cole Miller’s aspirations? Why is he even here? Why is he in the UFC?” McGregor asked. “I am working to become the greatest. I want Hall of Fame. I want to be a history maker. He’s working hard to be a test for me, and that’s the difference."

He added: “I'm not impressed with what I see. I don’t see anyone at this level at my level. None of these guys are at my level. Not one of them move like I move, or are prepared for what I bring. At the end of the day, it comes down to when it actually happens. For me I now what’s going to happen.

“You can’t fear success. But I think a lot of people do. The UFC have given me everything I’ve asked for, so I don’t understand why people are sitting there being quiet and not succeeding. I can’t sit and be quite. I’m going for it."

Of the July 19th showdown and beyond, he finished: “I am supremely confident I’m going to run through Cole Miller. So I’m not looking past him, I’m looking through him. I’m going to run through him for Irish MMA. It should actually be me versus Dustin Poirier on this card to be honest. But it is what it is.

“But I believe whoever makes the most noise out of me, Edgar vs. Penn and Swanson vs. Stephens – all featherweight fights which happen around the same time – will get the next shot. And so I believe it will be me getting the next shot.”

“Cole Miller is a blue belt in my opinion. He’s weak on top. I’ll maul him on the ground… I’m gonna rung through him. I’m gonna steal the show, and I’m gonna perform better than those other two featherweight fights. That’s how I’m going to get my title shot.”

lol it doesn't confirm though whether Dana text him back

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

"We’ve got terrestrial TV in Ireland to show this fight as well."

Has he got terrestrial tv to show the fight?

Senor Frog wrote: »
    "We’ve got terrestrial TV in Ireland to show this fight as well."

Has he got terrestrial tv to show the fight?

Its not confirmed by UFC but Garry Cook said at presser for Berlin fight that talks were ongoing & seemed confident something would be done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Reads like it was written by a 6 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Devastator wrote: »
    Its not confirmed by UFC but Garry Cook said at presser for Berlin fight that talks were ongoing & seemed confident something would be done

Talks between whom Devastator??

John_D80 wrote: »
    Talks between whom Devastator??

He didn't say, when questioned further he just laughed and said "well theres isn't much of an option is there?" Probably be announced soon enough

Just Wow :eek:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/3/5777336/ufc-fight-night-dublin-fight-card-cole-miller-injury-conor-mcgregor-vs-diego-brandao

Brandao's style is made for Conor but i fail to see what the upside is in beating Brandao.

On the upside the smack talk will be epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Brandao's temperament is just begging for the Conor trash talk treatment. I really can't see Conor winning this one but if he does then he will def have something to back up all his talk.

At this moment in time I would put Brandao on about the same level as Brimmage. Hell they were in the same TUF house together. So in my eyes I am not seeing any notable progression for Conor

Poirier would have been a big risk but with massive reward that would put Conor right in the mix. It also would have sold out in no time with Poirier in there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

jodaw wrote: »
    At this moment in time I would put Brandao on about the same level as Brimmage. Hell they were in the same TUF house together. So in my eyes I am not seeing any notable progression for Conor

Poirier would have been a big risk but with massive reward that would put Conor right in the mix. It also would have sold out in no time with Poirier in there

You could put Conor up against Mr Tayto and this event will sell out within the hour

In other news CCTV footage of Cole Miller repeatably banging the entrance door to american top team gym off his tumb whilst clinging to a set of rosary beads :P

Brandao's style is made for Conor but i fail to see what the upside is in beating Brandao.

Really?
    Brandao is higher ranked than miller, former Tuf winner, and generally consider up and coming 145er with a few solid wins.

Beating him at his own game could be huge for McGregor

Edit: Just seen this
    So there on the sane level because they were on the sane season if TUF? Strange logic. Kinda ignores the fact that Brinage went out in 1/4 finals, and Diego won the bracket with 4 1st rd wins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

There is an absolute gulf of difference between those two in fairness. Purely by coincidence I recently rewatched the entire series of TUF 14. Brandao finished all his TUF fights, in style, in the first round. Brimmage lost badly in his very first fight against Bryan Carraway.

It all depends which Diego shows up on the night but make no bones about it, he has the skills to **** up anyone's night. Definitely a bigger scalp than Miller in my opinion as well. Wasn't he ranked until recently or am I thinking of someone else??

Brimmage V Brandao would be a close fight for me.

Brandao has terrible cardio so if the fight gets past the first round Brandao has no hope. Something tells me Brandao will be really up for this one though. The upside is all for him in this fight as far as i can see.

If Conor beats him then he will probably get Poirier, then possibly Guida, follow but Swanson/Mendes or even Aldo if he loses the belt.

So you are looking at three more wins in order to get a title shot after this fight. That would most likely be summer 2015 of all goes well.

If they took the risk and put Poirier V Conor then one more fight and he could have got a shot. I can understand why they would not dream of matching him against Poirier in Dublin.

Brandao has poor cardio and came in out of shape in his last fight, what will he be like without a full camp?

Davei141 wrote: »
    Brandao has poor cardio and came in out of shape in his last fight, what will he be like without a full camp?
    Brandao isn't fighting on short notice. He was suppsoed to fight last week on the TUF finale, this is an extra 7 weeks he has.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Brandao isn't fighting on short notice. He was suppsoed to fight last week on the TUF finale, this is an extra 7 weeks he has.

Very good point...I am now excited!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement