Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

califano wrote: »
    I like him but hes a bit of a liability. Like eluding to some sbg ticketing episode.

What? Conor mentioned that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Really hoping the aldo McGregor fight happens in early December in Vegas rather than new years. It's far more affordable then, even as opposed to early February/March. There was such a buzz over at 189 that I couldn't imagine missing the aldo fight

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

califano wrote: »
    I like him but hes a bit of a liability. Like eluding to some sbg ticketing episode.

Conor discussed it with Ariel that day in the O2

100 tickets at 20 a pop I think it was, he spent all the money so obv owed Kavanagh 2k & didnt show his face in the gym over it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Here around the 17min mark, Conor talks about the ticket fiasco:
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/17/5912043/a-day-in-dublin-with-conor-mcgregor

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

When is aldo mcgreggor any idea anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

mkdon wrote: »

And so it begins....

Likely December 5th, 12th or 19th.

Either Cowboys Stadium or the MGM.

The MGM is booked for Dec. 5th for a concert.

The Cowboys have an NFL home game on the 19th.

Tentatively, UFC have booked the following dates:

Dec 5th: UFC 194
    Dec 12th: UFC Fight Night
    Dec 19th: UFC On Fox.

They could switch the above around, but if I was a betting man, I'd go for December 5th in Dallas, Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Saipanne wrote: »
    And so it begins....

& so too does the misinformation....

The Cowboys have an NFL home game on the 20th.

The Cowboys home game is the 19th so it'll be the 5th or 12th if looking to Texas in December

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/season-schedule

Pulse8 wrote: »
    & so too does the misinformation....

The Cowboys home game is the 19th so it'll be the 5th or 12th if looking to Texas in December

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/season-schedule

*sigh*. The day difference hardly makes any odds, the bottom line is it wouldn't have been the weekend of the 19th/20th either way.

It's either gonna be:

The 5th in Texas.
    The 12th in Texas / Vegas.
    The 19th in Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Or it'll be January 2nd in Vegas. If I was to guess I'd say it'll either be December 5th (UFC 194) or Jan 2nd (UFC 195).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

About half 4 or 5am our time.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

Either Cowboys Stadium or the MGM.

The MGM is booked for Dec. 5th for a concert.

The Cowboys have an NFL home game on the 19th.

Tentatively, UFC have booked the following dates:

Dec 5th: UFC 194
    Dec 12th: UFC Fight Night
    Dec 19th: UFC On Fox.

They could switch the above around, but if I was a betting man, I'd go for December 5th in Dallas, Texas.
    Just to add in my 2 cents I could see them switching the PPV to Dec 12th and put the Fox Fight Night show on the 5th. Fox shows get a far bigger audience tuning in for the live NFL and Fox have used these games as to promote UFC. Ratings during the NFL season for UFC events are far higher (McGregor - Siver especially) so you'd think it would make sense to do that to add to the build up.

If the fight turns out to be in Dallas the home of the Cowboys its an even better reason to use the synergy between the two

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

DK224 wrote: »
    Just to add in my 2 cents I could see them switching the PPV to Dec 12th and put the Fox Fight Night show on the 5th. Fox shows get a far bigger audience tuning in for the live NFL and Fox have used these games as to promote UFC. Ratings during the NFL season for UFC events are far higher (McGregor - Siver especially) so you'd think it would make sense to do that to add to the build up.

If the fight turns out to be in Dallas the home of the Cowboys its an even better reason to use the synergy between the two

Don't really get this, NFL doesn't have games on Saturdays so how does switching help with the buildup?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Don't really get this, NFL doesn't have games on Saturdays so how does switching help with the buildup?
    I'm just putting this out there looking at the dates they have lined up as of now. If they go ahead with the PPV on Dec 5 their lead in show is a Fight Night in Korea the week before on Fightpass so it won't have nearly the exposure as a primetime Fox Fight Night US card which should have upwards of 2 million people watching. Thats a lot more possible PPV customers you can attract

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

DK224 wrote: »
    I'm just putting this out there looking at the dates they have lined up as of now. If they go ahead with the PPV on Dec 5 their lead in show is a Fight Night in Korea the week before on Fightpass so it won't have nearly the exposure as a primetime Fox Fight Night US card which should have upwards of 2 million people watching. Thats a lot more possible PPV customers you can attract

You don't go ppv against the nfl. Nfl is way too big in america

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

How old is John Kavanagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

valor wrote: »
    How old is John Kavanagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Complete newbie to the sport lads and am going to start looking in depth at the rules, fighters etc but I'd love to know what peoples opinion of the Conor v Aldo fight.

If both men go in fully fit for the fight who will emerge the victor in your opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Complete newbie to the sport lads and am going to start looking in depth at the rules, fighters etc but I'd love to know what peoples opinion of the Conor v Aldo fight.

If both men go in fully fit for the fight who will emerge the victor in your opinions?

A fully fit prime Aldo has looked pretty invincible at the weight. However, IMO this is not a prime Aldo and Conor will get the opportunity to beat one of the great UFC champions.

• Advertisement

Any questions ask them here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057460761

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

scudzilla wrote: »

Isn't that thread for more general ufc/MMA questions regarding rules/techniques/sport history etc??

I think his question regarding McG/Aldo is in the right place.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Isn't that thread for more general ufc/MMA questions regarding rules/techniques/sport history etc??

I think his question regarding McG/Aldo is in the right place.

Sorry, yes, i meant as he's a noob to the sport it's a good place to ask anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If Aldo is fully fit then I really can't see anyone beating him. I really can't see the match lasting very long as both men have a very aggressive style

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Asking how old JK was is such a stupid question it gets 2 troll answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

valor wrote: »
    Asking how old JK was is such a stupid question it gets 2 troll answers?

He's 37 or something. It just seems like a weird question.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I'd agree with both of those sentences.

Aldo the BJJ fighter can beat Conor.
    Aldo the aggressive striker is open to being beaten standing.

It comes down to whether or not he fights smart, or whether he lets ego and emotion get involved. Andre Pederneiras would favour the latter I think,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It'll be interesting. To be honest, even after the Mendes fight, I don't think we've seen how far Conor can go. I think one thing we've established is his striking power is deceptively strong. When you see Aldo go full tilt at someone it looks vicious, where as Conor just looks accurate but not that powerful... But we've seen how every fighter he's fought in the division have fallen to his striking, nobody has really brought the fight to him. Can he sustain big strikes himself? He took a few heavy knocks from Mendes, one lovely hook to the chin in particular, and didn't seem too phased... but Aldo will land a lot more, at a higher intensity and pace. Can McGregor deal with that? Will he look to use his movement more and dodge that onslaught we all know Aldo can produce? Or will the best form of defence be his reliance on his striking ability?

One thing I will say that a lot of people seem to forget to mention is McGregor's intelligence in the cage. He's known as a hot-head loud-mouth, but anytime I've seen him the first thing that springs to mind isn't power, or movement, it's intelligence. He's very clinical and very calculated in his fights so far, picking the best strikes for the time rather than just assuming they'll work. Going straight for Mendes' body straight away was a bit of a masterstroke and was the winning of the match, but it wasn't luck, he'd know Mendes would be looking to draw the rounds out and probably was conscience of the short camp.

So I can't see McGregor just going hell for leather on Aldo, but then again I can't see him moving him around the cage either. That's what makes this fight so fascinating, and why so many people want to see it. But either way, I think McGregor will be fighting with his head here, don't be surprised to see a lot of low leg kicks to throw Aldo off his rhythm early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Few people on twitter seem to think Aldo v McGregor is going to be on Jan 2nd. Pretty sickening, prices for vegas at that time will be through the roof. Pretty gutting for those of us who originally paid to go over for 189

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement