Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

dulux99 wrote: »
    Few people on twitter seem to think Aldo v McGregor is going to be on Jan 2nd. Pretty sickening, prices for vegas at that time will be through the roof. Pretty gutting for those of us who originally paid to go over for 189
    Listen pal, I think you got pretty good value for money at 189! :pac:

What I wouldn't give to have been there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

There's been absolutely no word on a confirmed date by UFC brass thus far other than Dana saying he'd like it to be before 2016.

A card featuring McGregor/Aldo and a CM Punk debut is likely in their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

scudzilla wrote: »

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Well the UFC 194 Dec 5th venue has been decided as Calgary for Lawler v Condit so I guess January is the most likely option afterall now & the Cowboys Stadium was prob just all talk & an idea...unless they go there in Jan lol

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭OverUnderP4P

Few people on twitter seem to think Aldo v McGregor is going to be on Jan 2nd. Pretty sickening, prices for vegas at that time will be through the roof. Pretty gutting for those of us who originally paid to go over for 189

Just checked there , works out cheaper than what i paid for 189.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

I wonder could Superbowl weekend on February 7th be a possible runner now? The Super Bowl weekend card is usually one of the bigger events that the UFC puts on every year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Just checked there , works out cheaper than what i paid for 189.

Really? I got flights and 7 nights in the MGM for about 1500, cheapest I can find for the same duration in January is about 1800.

Compare that to if the fight was in early December, where flights and accom is as cheap as 650.

DK224 wrote: »
    I wonder could Superbowl weekend on February 7th be a possible runner now? The Super Bowl weekend card is usually one of the bigger events that the UFC puts on every year

That would be ideal for everyone. I still have a hunch that Conor may want a small break, he's gone Brandao, Poirier, Siver, Mendes, then TUF with very little downtime in between

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That would be ideal for everyone. I still have a hunch that Conor may want a small break, he's gone Brandao, Poirier, Siver, Mendes, then TUF with very little downtime in between

TUF is his break according to John Kavanagh. He said on rest days, while the rest of the team go to water parks etc, McGregor just stays in watching tape so he feels TUF will be another form of relaxation for Conor.

Paully D wrote: »
    TUF is his break according to John Kavanagh. He said on rest days, while the rest of the team go to water parks etc, McGregor just stays in watching tape so he feels TUF will be another form of relaxation for Conor.

Yeah... I'm still skeptical. JK says alot of things :)

Also, with all this nonsense that's gone on with Aldo, I wouldn't be surprised if he dug his heels in and didn't initially agree to what the ufc wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭OverUnderP4P

Really? I got flights and 7 nights in the MGM for about 1500, cheapest I can find for the same duration in January is about 1800.

Compare that to if the fight was in early December, where flights and accom is as cheap as 650.

yeah i paid 1300 for the same for a week.
    looked at flights there 600 and 6 days in the Monte carlo for 550.
    But yeah december would be ideal-price wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Hypothecially if McGregor beats Aldo at 195 in January, they will surely have him headline UFC 200 in Vegas seen as he's the biggest draw at the moment. That Croke Park show looks a long, long way away.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Personally I'm looking forward to Aldo beating & possibly knocking out McGregor, the level of delusion among some of the posters on here is incredible.

Aldo
    - Hasn't lost a fight in nearly ten years,
    - Has only lost one fight in his entire career, a submission when he was still a teenager, (mcgregor has achieved success with submission only once in his career)
    - Has beaten all the top contenders in the division, some on more than one occasion
    - Black belt in jiu jitsu
    - Has fought a diverse range of fighters & beaten them all, wrestlers to kickboxers
    - The second best pound for pound fighter in the UFC after Jon Jones

Mcgregor

- Hit Dustin Poirier a lucky punch on the back of the head & managed to TKO him after that
    - Beat a washed up Siver who shouldn't have been ranked anywhere near the top 10, top 15 at best.
    - Has lost twice already in his relatively short career.

May 23rd will be a reality check
    watch that poirier fight again....look like a work of genius to me , the back of the head shot was only the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

watch that poirier fight again....look like a work of genius to me , the back of the head shot was only the icing on the cake.

He didn't hit him in the back of the head, ffs I'm not a fan of mcgreggor he hit him in the same spot head kicks land.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The punch landed right on the ear which basically takes away your balance and will drop anyone like a sack. One thing i like about Conor's game is that he doesn't panic when he goes to finish an opponent, he doesn't trade accuracy/quality of strikes for quanity of punches thrown

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Can't believe the Porrier finish is still being justified.
    Anyone questioning is either trolling, or hasn't much of a clue what they are talking about.
    Not much point explaining it to either at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Mellor wrote: »
    Can't believe the Porrier finish is still being justified.
    Anyone questioning is either trolling, or hasn't much of a clue what they are talking about.
    Not much point explaining it to either at this stage.

I can understand it, if you believe that punch was the one that finished him. But it really wasn't.

Saipanne wrote: »
    I can understand it, if you believe that punch was the one that finished him. But it really wasn't.

It was one a number of punches that led to the finish. The previous may have rocked him, but without that punch, he wasn't going down.

Regardless, even if that punch solo dropped him, it's means nothing. It's a really disruptive place to be hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

The left hook that broke the guard finished the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

What do people reckon the chances of the aldo fight being a stadium or something in Brazil? stranger things have happened with Aldo in the past!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Depp wrote: »
    What do people reckon the chances of the aldo fight being a stadium or something in Brazil? stranger things have happened with Aldo in the past!

Not a chance. I don't the UFC will be doing him any favours personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Has he pulled out of any Brazilian cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Depp wrote: »

About as much chance of me fighting Aldo for the featherweight title as there is of the McGregor fight being in Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

yeah it looks unlikely but it wouldnt be the first time hes pulled out of a fight in vegas only for it to be rescheduled to brazil!

dave1982 wrote: »
    Has he pulled out of any Brazilian cards?

Yeah, UFC 153
    He was suppose to fight Koch, but Koch got injured. Frankie stepped in with about 7 weeks to go, and 2 weeks later Aldo pulled out with an injured foot.

TWEET (90) SHARE (1012)
    On the latest edition of Chael Sonnen's 'You're Welcome' podcast, the former UFC dynamo claimed that Conor McGregor had an altercation with the UFC brass backstage at the UFC 189 weigh-ins. According to Sonnen, McGregor refused to wear the official Reebok fighter's kit after the UFC instructed him to do so.

"Conor did not wear Reebok (at the Mendes weigh in). He wore something else and behind the scenes they were giving him his Reebok kit," Sonnen said. He refused to wear it. They said "Hey, you have to wear this" and McGregor said "I'm different, I'm not like those other guys. I'm not wearing it", so they get out the Contract and everything and they tell him "you have to do this" and Conor said "I'm not doing it". When the weigh in rolled around he did not wear the Reebok stuff."

Source is Chael the two time world champion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He did wear Reebok at the weigh in.
    20150710052836_6DX_0057.JPG

Fair enough it might not have been the same as everyone else but its still reebok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

dave1982 wrote: »
    Source is Chael the two time world champion

At what?

At what?

Middleweight and lhw champion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Imagine being Aldo and having to face into another media tour with Conor where he'll be even more in his face having beaten Mendes :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement