Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

dave1982 wrote: »
    Middleweight and lhw champion

Hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

dave1982 wrote: »
    TWEET (90) SHARE (1012)
    On the latest edition of Chael Sonnen's 'You're Welcome' podcast, the former UFC dynamo claimed that Conor McGregor had an altercation with the UFC brass backstage at the UFC 189 weigh-ins. According to Sonnen, McGregor refused to wear the official Reebok fighter's kit after the UFC instructed him to do so.

"Conor did not wear Reebok (at the Mendes weigh in). He wore something else and behind the scenes they were giving him his Reebok kit," Sonnen said. He refused to wear it. They said "Hey, you have to wear this" and McGregor said "I'm different, I'm not like those other guys. I'm not wearing it", so they get out the Contract and everything and they tell him "you have to do this" and Conor said "I'm not doing it". When the weigh in rolled around he did not wear the Reebok stuff."

Source is Chael the two time world champion

He didn't put it on after the fight when Dana handed it to him in the ring as well. Noticed it when rewatching the fight last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Knex. wrote: »
    He didn't put it on after the fight when Dana handed it to him in the ring as well. Noticed it when rewatching the fight last night.

I also got the impression that there was a bit of a 'moment' between McGregor and one of the Fertitta's in the octagon after the fight. I seem to remember them coming face to face and not even acknowledging each other. No handshake or congrats or anything.

Or did I imagine it??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I saw an interview yesterday where the reporter said that one of Da Ferteetaz told a journo that Conor talked way too much during the fight and he needs to be more quiet in the Octagon. Conor responded with "I don't tell him how to run the UFC, he shouldn't tell me how to run the fight game'. I see Conor being way too much for them to handle but he's making them dollas so will be interesting to see how it goes.

As someone else said here, I think they're right "I predict Conor & Dana will have a big falling out'

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He did wear Reebok at the weigh in.
    20150710052836_6DX_0057.JPG

Fair enough it might not have been the same as everyone else but its still reebok.

The point is it was his own Reebok gear, not the UFC kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Mellor wrote: »
    The point is it was his own Reebok gear, not the UFC kit.

He has a reebok contract so they will have wanted him to wear that, this is a lot of nonsense.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    this is a lot of nonsense.

I also get the feeling that Chael has become some what of an MMA Gossip Queen lately trying to stay relevant by telling backstage stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Another non-story from Chael who can't stand the thought of being forgotten about. Within the last few weeks he has posted Chad Mendes' number online to the world (which I found funny, admittedly) exaggerated McGregor's weight cut and now starts this crap.

Good man Chael :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Considering Conor is a Reebok athlete, i'd have been shocked if he HAD worn the Reebok kit. What's the point in having him on an exclusive deal if you're not gonna have him wear the merchandise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

snip...wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I saw an interview yesterday where the reporter said that one of Da Ferteetaz told a journo that Conor talked way too much during the fight and he needs to be more quiet in the Octagon. Conor responded with "I don't tell him how to run the UFC, he shouldn't tell me how to run the fight game'. I see Conor being way too much for them to handle but he's making them dollas so will be interesting to see how it goes.

As someone else said here, I think they're right "I predict Conor & Dana will have a big falling out'

That sounds like utter made up rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Davei141 wrote: »

Sounds like rubbish but The Journal had a story 2/3 days ago where they attributed those quotes or similar to McGregor during an interview they had with them.
    I'm always sceptical about believing stories unless I actually see the words spoken myself.

Which part?

The video of it is here

http://www.the42.ie/conor-mcgregor-espn-interview-2235489-Jul2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Chael is just being Chael , people talking bout him even though he's not fighting.Conor is biggest name in mma right now.Conor is Chaels in to get recognized.

We might even see Chael cut to 145 and become 3 weight champion :)

're conor and Reebok Conor might be right refusing to wear branded clothing. He has spent last two years trying to stand out from rest of the roster to end up wearing a uniform

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He's certainly standing out now :D:D

070115ufc003.jpg?itok=XmovL-Nx&c=756db597c748d064140000db792567ed

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Wasn't calling you a liar btw I meant just don't see Lorenzo saying that to Conor at all. As a joke i could kind of see it, but as criticism? Was my initial reaction that it was bull but i could be wrong.

Agree 100% bout trouble down the road though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I’m guessing the walk out stuff for the weigh in is down to him being cranky because of weight cut, wanting to show he’s different to other fighters, but also that he probably gets a cut off reebok for the sales of his own line of shirts.

When he started talking about co-promotion being down the line you could tell he was starting to move close to the line where the UFC management would start to push back. Should be interesting to watch how it unfolds if he keeps winning. UFC don’t generally deal well with people playing hardball.

UFC won't be able to control him in future I reckon unless they cough up big.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I find it hilarious when he calls Lorenzo his business partner, No Conor, he's your f****n boss!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

scudzilla wrote: »
    I find it hilarious when he calls Lorenzo his business partner, No Conor, he's your f****n boss!!!!

With the way Dana is behaving lately it's a smart move as he's becoming more of a liability than usual! Never really noticed it before but he rarely references Dana its always Lorenzo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

DK224 wrote: »
    With the way Dana is behaving lately it's a smart move as he's becoming more of a liability than usual! Never really noticed it before but he rarely references Dana its always Lorenzo!

Id assume that's down to most of the financing coming from Lorenzo and Uncle Frank!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

The Fertittas own over 40% each of Zuffa

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

xtal191 wrote: »
    The Fertittas own over 40% each of Zuffa

Yeah, originally Dana owned 9%, and the Fertittas split the rest. But a few years back the fertittas sold 10% to some Abu Dhabi Emiriti.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

No idea why people find it hilarious. You're not 'employed' by the UFC. They're all independent contractors. Conor's only real 'boss' is himself, in that regard. The UFC need him more than the other way around at the minute - it's a mutual thing. Of all fighters, I think he's one of the few - with Ronda, who could make that claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gray Mimicry

Richy06 wrote: »
    No idea why people find it hilarious. You're not 'employed' by the UFC. They're all independent contractors. Conor's only real 'boss' is himself, in that regard. The UFC need him more than the other way around at the minute - it's a mutual thing. Of all fighters, I think he's one of the few - with Ronda, who could make that claim.

the ufc do not need him more then he needs them if he leaves the ufc he will begin to fade away just compare the fame fedor got to the fame anderson silva got the ufc will be by far the premier mma company for the foreseeable future mcgregor or no mcgregor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Richy06 wrote: »

This is the exact mindset that is going to get him in trouble. The UFC simply does not need him more than he needs them, he wouldn’t make near the money he currently does (from direct pay and sponsorship) if he jumped ship while the affect on the UFC’s books would be a lot smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Chill, lads. I'm not saying that he's gonna just go and do something stupid like up and leave in the midst of his run. I'm just saying, the rules are clearly a little different for him at the moment, being their golden boy.

Considering how hard the UFC try to keep talent from Bellator he is in a very strong position and add in all the promo dollars.

Merrick Gray Mimicry are you saying Fedors fame pales in comparison to Silva??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Merrick Gray Mimicry are you saying Fedors fame pales in comparison to Silva??

I'd say his bank account does.

Certainly compared to GSP at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement