Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Davei141 wrote: »
    Considering how hard the UFC try to keep talent from Bellator he is in a very strong position and add in all the promo dollars.

Merrick Gray Mimicry are you saying Fedors fame pales in comparison to Silva??

Sorry to say it but yes Fedor's fame does most certainly pale by comparison to Silva's. Almost into insignificance.

To you and me, as longtime fans of the sport, Fedor is a legend and always will be but for many fans (who think MMA starts and finishes with the UFC) then its a case of ''Fedor who??''. The majority of the johnny-come-latelys that I know have no idea about Fedor or Pride or any of the big names we as 'old school' fans know and love. Unfortunate but true.

Would have been a different story if he had signed with the UFC when he had a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The bitterness is often strong in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Anderson Silva is infinitely more famous than Fedor. There is no question.

Most people barely even know the difference between MMA & UFC. To MMA fans they're probably equally famous. In general Silva is more famous. Why? Because of the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

If conor pisses off ufc, it be end of his career he'll be tied up in messy contract where he won't be allowed fight anywhere else

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Most people barely even know the difference between MMA & UFC.

Most people don't care, to be fair. People in work have talked more about cycling lately than MMA. And that includes McGregor v Mendes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Richy06 wrote: »
    Chill, lads. I'm not saying that he's gonna just go and do something stupid like up and leave in the midst of his run. I'm just saying, the rules are clearly a little different for him at the moment, being their golden boy.

You are however saying that you think they need him more than he needs them and this is what will get him in trouble.

Being the golden boy has allowed him special treatment in some regards but when he starts refusing to wear the clothes he’s supposed to he’s begun a slippery slope towards some of his other grand ideas and when he starts to demand the likes of co-promotion he’s going to be brought down to earth very quickly.

The old football term of no player is bigger than the club is quite fitting here. Hopefully his team and family keeps him in check here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Saipanne wrote: »
    Most people don't care, to be fair. People in work have talked more about cycling lately than MMA. And that includes McGregor v Mendes.

I have no idea what this has to do with whether Anderson Silva is more famous than Fedor tbh.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I have no idea what this has to do with whether Anderson Silva is more famous than Fedor tbh.

You said most people don't know the difference between the ufc and MMA. I agree, and gave you a reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Anyone hear on the mma hour the way Tom Lawlor asked to wear McGregors fight kit out for the weigh ins at the weekend? wouldve been hilarious enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Foxtrol wrote: »
    You are however saying that you think they need him more than he needs them and this is what will get him in trouble.

Being the golden boy has allowed him special treatment in some regards but when he starts refusing to wear the clothes he’s supposed to he’s begun a slippery slope towards some of his other grand ideas and when he starts to demand the likes of co-promotion he’s going to be brought down to earth very quickly.

The old football term of no player is bigger than the club is quite fitting here. Hopefully his team and family keeps him in check here.

The only people he'd be in trouble with is Reebok, because he's contracted to wear their gear. He still wore their gear. He's not on a slippery slope to anywhere but more money. If he goes and tries to co-promote and he's, at that point, fought a bunch more times and made plenty of money for himself, he'll be just fine.

This isn't football, so the no bigger than the team thing isn't really a thing. In the history of the UFC, it's been shown that it's FIGHTERS that sell tickets, not the brand. Fans pay for personalities who can fight. He'd make a killing off a couple of fight with other promotions if he wanted to.

Point is, I think he's alright without the arm chair tutting of 'hmmm he better watch out' from a bunch of people who literally have no idea what it's like to be in that position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The only people he'd be in trouble with is Reebok, because he's contracted to wear their gear. He still wore their gear. He's not on a slippery slope to anywhere but more money. If he goes and tries to co-promote and he's, at that point, fought a bunch more times and made plenty of money for himself, he'll be just fine.

That makes no sense as by that logic any fighter could wear what they wanted and only Reebok could be annoyed with them. The UFC gives kit to the fighters that they’re supposed to use at weigh ins and he didn’t do it. It’s early days yet but no other fighter has come out in their own personailsed shirt except him so it gives weight to the story.
    This isn't football, so the no bigger than the team thing isn't really a thing. In the history of the UFC, it's been shown that it's FIGHTERS that sell tickets, not the brand. Fans pay for personalities who can fight. He'd make a killing off a couple of fight with other promotions if he wanted to.

Where has this been shown? How many PPVs was Conor selling before he was taken under the wing of UFCs promotional juggernaut? The fighters sell tickets only thanks to there being a brand. Taking the brand from a fighter is a lot more damaging than taking a single fighter from the brand.

I can’t think of one fighter who has left the UFC in their prime and made the same money long term than if they’d stayed. Stars have left the UFC time and again and the UFC keeps on making money and new stars.
    Point is, I think he's alright without the arm chair tutting of 'hmmm he better watch out' from a bunch of people who literally have no idea what it's like to be in that position.

I’m a big McGregor supporter but if this run in is true then I’m not going to stick my head in the sand and ignore it and other signs of potential issues he might have down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

That makes no sense as by that logic any fighter could wear what they wanted and only Reebok could be annoyed with them. The UFC gives kit to the fighters that they’re supposed to use at weigh ins and he didn’t do it. It’s early days yet but no other fighter has come out in their own personailsed shirt except him so it gives weight to the story.

This has been blown way out of proportion. Conor has his own separate deal with Reebok which see Reebok manufacture and sell a clothing range with his image and name on it. Conor wore this gear to the weigh in - who knows, maybe Reebok execs preferred that he wore the McGregor range? In reality, the only way UFC would be properly p*ssed with Conor on the kit issue is if Reebok were p*ssed with him and I can't imagine they are.
    I’m a big McGregor supporter but if this run in is true then I’m not going to stick my head in the sand and ignore it and other signs of potential issues he might have down the road.

Talk about putting the cart before the horse! Nothing of note has happened (that we are aware of) that would suggest that there are serious issues in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

His non interest in the champion shirt post fight was gas in fairness, say Dana was crackin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

This is the exact mindset that is going to get him in trouble. The UFC simply does not need him more than he needs them, he wouldn’t make near the money he currently does (from direct pay and sponsorship) if he jumped ship while the affect on the UFC’s books would be a lot smaller.

TBH I've stopped questioning his mindset.

His sheer thick-necked bull-headed attitude has got him where is he is today.

Calling the UFC CEO his 'business partner' is par the course and, to be honest, is brilliant. He empowers himself with every word.

The whole weigh in story is a total non-issue imo. He's been pushing the rebook deal since before the ink dried, he's a massive brand ambassador and was vocally behind the deal. The idea that he's somehow in hot water with them is just a slow-news day thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

.ak wrote: »
    The whole weigh in story is a total non-issue imo. He's been pushing the rebook deal since before the ink dried, he's a massive brand ambassador and was vocally behind the deal. The idea that he's somehow in hot water with them is just a slow-news day thing.

He was handed the t-shirt by Dana at end of fight , conor tossed it to his corner.

Conor big name doubt ufc will do anything bout it, Brock said "**** bud light, I drink blank " in one of his post fights

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dave1982 wrote: »
    Conor big name doubt ufc will do anything bout it, Brock said "**** bud light, I drink blank " in one of his post fights
    Yeah, he said bud woukdnt pay him enough so he drinks Coors...
    ...but he obviously got spanked backstage and he came out to the post fight presser with his tail between his legs and a can of bud in his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

He was handed the t-shirt by Dana at end of fight , conor tossed it to his corner.

You often would see fighters not arsed putting on their sponsors t-shirts (Pre-Reebok) which probably cost themselves a few grand for not wearing it during post fight interviews.

It's just the bull-headed post fight mentality, nothing should be read into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

i don't think its a refusal to wear the Reebok gear , i think its more the biggest fight of my career just ended i just won, im overcome with emotions and i sweaty as f**k and gorilla Rogan is about to come up to me and ask me questions. Imagine being in that position, putting on a t-shirt is the last of your thoughts i would i hope. He wanted to thank his team and his fans and just enjoy having a belt.

Yeah I noticed that, but I still think it's much a do about nothing... He looked bollixed, physically and emotionally (more so the latter)! I'd be surprised if he knew what he was doing at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah I noticed that, but I still think it's much a do about nothing... He looked bollixed, physically and emotionally (more so the latter)! I'd be surprised if he knew what he was doing at that stage.

Thought I noticed that Gunnar didn't put on a post fight shirt either.
    Seemed to be the only other guy who didn't, or was I imagining things? Were the post fight shirts only for title fights?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

dub_skav wrote: »
    Thought I noticed that Gunnar didn't put on a post fight shirt either.
    Seemed to be the only other guy who didn't, or was I imagining things? Were the post fight shirts only for title fights?

Post fight shirts are for everyone.

The significance for McGregor is that he came in with the standard Reebok shirt but after winning the belt he was presented with the champion's version, which has gold print.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/7/30/9074821/fabricio-werdum-wants-to-co-headline-jose-aldo-vs-conor-mcgregor-ufc

When you have the Heavyweight champion saying he wants to be Co main event to you, you must be doing something right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

ASOT wrote: »
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/7/30/9074821/fabricio-werdum-wants-to-co-headline-jose-aldo-vs-conor-mcgregor-ufc

When you have the Heavyweight champion saying he wants to be Co main event to you, you must be doing something right!

Common sense really, I wouldn't mind fighting on a Conor card either. Werdum just can't sell big numbers on his own, like the majority of UFC fighters/champions and is looking to get on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I'd imagine Seven figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Aldo appeared as a surprise guest at the UFC190 Q&A said hes back in training and would probably beat Conor today and also expressed interest on fighting the same night as Werdum.

Think the Is Jose Aldo tryna get fired thread needs to walk on home :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Dana said he's hoping for December 5th in Dallas.

Also likely Ronda/Tate will be on the same card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Dana said he's hoping for December 5th in Dallas.

Also likely Ronda/Tate will be on the same card.

While I'm not complaining, I would have thought having Conor and Ronda headlining separate cards would be worth more money to the UFC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement