Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Can't see anything wrong with that except an entire show being called off if most of the card fails the fight day weigh in

Obviously that would happen if it was brought in tomorrow, If done in a controlled way with a time frame of introduction and monitoring of fighters weight during that period I'm sure they'd be able to figure which weight class to compete in without failing fight day weigh in

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Obviously that would happen if it was brought in tomorrow, If done in a controlled way with a time frame of introduction and monitoring of fighters weight during that period I'm sure they'd be able to figure which weight class to compete in without failing fight day weigh in
    It's a good idea, but I think they need a clearer upper limit
    if an athlete weighs more than 7.5 percent of his or her body weight from the previous day or more than the next weight class up, the bout will be called off.
    It's can't be 7.5% AND the weight class up, one or the other will be a lower making it the effective limit.
    And making it a percent on the fighters weigh-in weight causes a few issues.

Fight A weighs in at 134, 7.5% = a limit of 147.4lbs
    Fight B weighs in at 136, 7.5% = a limit of 149.6lbs

Having different limits for fighters on fight night is obviously stupid. If a fighter misses weight, he has an even higher limit the next day.

Generally I think they are looking it it the wrong way. They are suggesting that cutting 15.5lbs to make 155 and putting back on half that weight (5%) is safer than dehydrating fully (10%)...which is what will happen imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'm sure they'll have a different rule for fighters who miss weight mellor. I'm guessing its 7.5% of the weight class rather than what they actually weigh in at.

It won't stop weight cutting but it will lessen it. It lessens weight cutting while not having the risk of guys being super dehydrated on fight day (ie. If you had to weight the same on fight day as well instead of the 7.5% rule). It doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I'm sure they'll have a different rule for fighters who miss weight mellor. I'm guessing its 7.5% of the weight class rather than what they actually weigh in at.
    I don't think so, the rule written says it's based on the "weigh-in body weight".

The example it uses is;
    A day-before weigh in weight of 154 shall not gain more than 11.55 pounds. Any percentage over 1⁄2 pound (.51 pounds) shall be rounded up. In this example, the 154 lb fighter could gain a maximum of 12 pounds

So the 154lb fighter can weigh 166lbs, and a 156lb fighter can weight 168lbs on fight night. That's hardly ideal.

It won't stop weight cutting but it will lessen it. It lessens weight cutting while not having the risk of guys being super dehydrated on fight day (ie. If you had to weight the same on fight day as well instead of the 7.5% rule). It doesn't sound like a bad idea.
    Just to point out, this new rule is only for amateur MMA.
    7.5% is a small enough cut, but it's definitely exceeded at amateur level, and there no real need to imo. I think it's a good idea for ammy, but they'll need to tighten it up to roll it out for the pros

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Bear in mind this is a temporary rule in force for 120 days while a study is done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

It does sound that duffy is cashing in on being born in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ricero wrote: »
    sure why not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

And conor isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the more irish the better, we're good at something and need to stay unified....jaysus if we became our own enemy it would be terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

And conor isn't?

Conor was born, raised, trains in and represents the country, he never shuts up about Dublin and Ireland.

I can see how he has an issue with Duffy being Irish Joe all of a sudden.

In saying that I still like Duffy and want to see him do well before anyone attacks me :)

mdwexford wrote: »
    Conor was born, raised, trains in and represents the country, he never shuts up about Dublin and Ireland.

"Irish" joe has had his donegal tattoo since before they fought 5 years ago, in irish, Hardly jumping on the im irish bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I think its fairly petty tbh, so what if he moves around to train? Conors probably been in Vegas more than Ireland the last 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Just more talk to keep things interesting.

Hes a genius at marketing himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I think its fairly petty tbh, so what if he moves around to train? Conors probably been in Vegas more than Ireland the last 6 months.

Conor "Vegas Conor" McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jaysus lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Why is his name 'Irish' Joe Duffy though? Such a **** name.

Dustin 'American' Poirier

Deadst4r wrote: »

Loads of fighters have used Irish, Marcus the irish hand grenade, Irish micky ward etc

Plus he probably is the only Irish guy in tristar? Wheres joe? who ? Irish joe

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

He had no problem with the "Irish" fans in Boston as long as they were buying tickets.

Loads of fighters have used Irish, Marcus the irish hand grenade, Irish micky ward etc

Irish hand grenade is completely different though. 'Irish' by itself sounds so dumb to me.:pac:

Anyway, according to interviews released recently, McGregor isn't back in Ireland for another week.

Is this not a bit of a short camp? How long do fighters usually train for? I know, I know I'm sure he's always in good shape etc. but I mean dedicated training. I'm worried about the amount of media interruptions he will have, hopefully they leave him be this time. Or that he already did most of the recording required while in Vegas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

"Irish" joe has had his donegal tattoo since before they fought 5 years ago, in irish, Hardly jumping on the im irish bandwagon

I don't know his full background, he was raised in Wales from what I read. He's still born in Ireland and Irish obviously.

Anyway people aren't quoting my full post. I like the guy, Irish Joe can carry all the tricolours he wants as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know his full background, he was raised in Wales from what I read. He's still born in Ireland and Irish obviously.

Anyway people aren't quoting my full post. I like the guy, Irish Joe can carry all the tricolours he wants as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I don't mean to sound harsh either. I like him as well.

I just think it's a **** nickname.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Dont forget 'Irish' Terry Conklin. Only man to beat Trevor 'The Reaper' Roper.

NT93Muf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Why is anyone's nickname anything? Why do people even have nicknames? Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

This is nonsense, the guy should not be attacked because he emigrated, my brother lives in dubai for last 10 years but identifies as Irish as much as he ever did, to claim he is somehow less Irish than me because I stayed is nonsensical.

Fair play to Duffy he tried new things and made some changes, he seems a pleasant enough guy in interviews and the more I see of him the more I like him, which is in stark contrast to McGregor who is becoming more and more unpalatable as time goes on.

Anyway, according to interviews released recently, McGregor isn't back in Ireland for another week.

Is this not a bit of a short camp? How long do fighters usually train for?

The fight is 14 weeks away. A typical fight camp is 6-12 weeks. The fitter, in shape guys tend towards the 6-8 end. People like Phil Davis, Mendes and the TAM guy, Conor, etc. The guys who blow up a bit, or take longer layoffs tend towards to higher end.

He's timing is fine if say. Too long a camp and you risk burning out. Plus, it's a lot if wear and tear, the longer to train at 100% the more likely you are to get injured.

Mellor wrote: »
    The fight is 14 weeks away. A typical fight camp is 6-12 weeks. The fitter, in shape guys tend towards the 6-8 end. People like Phil Davis, Mendes and the TAM guy, Conor, etc. The guys who blow up a bit, or take longer layoffs tend towards to higher end.

He's timing is fine if say. Too long a camp and you risk burning out. Plus, it's a lot if wear and tear, the longer to train at 100% the more likely you are to get injured.

Ok cheers for that, I doubt he will get 12 proper weeks without 1 million interruptions anyway.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The weight cut thing is .... weird.

Why have the first weigh-in at all? Its like saying "hey, see if you can limbo under this weight but don't do it too well, or you will be booted!". If anything wont this mean some guy who walks around at 160 and cuts to 145 just wont rehydrate back up to 160 completely? Ironically making the problem *worse*... ? Or am I missing something.

If they are going to have a limit on fight day then why not make that the weightclass limit. ie: fight at 145 if you like but you will be 145 when you walk into the octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

jcd5971 wrote: »
    This is nonsense, the guy should not be attacked because he emigrated, my brother lives in dubai for last 10 years but identifies as Irish as much as he ever did, to claim he is somehow less Irish than me because I stayed is nonsensical.

Fair play to Duffy he tried new things and made some changes, he seems a pleasant enough guy in interviews and the more I see of him the more I like him, which is in stark contrast to McGregor who is becoming more and more unpalatable as time goes on.

It really is nonsense, so mcgregor gets to dictate how "irish" somebody is now. Ffs lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I don't get the criticism of Duffy at all. You'd struggle to find a nicer, more humble man on the entire UFC roster IMO. The bloke is as Irish as any of us and should get nothing but support from us. How can he help it that his father had to move over to Wales when he was a baby so he could provide for his family?

I really like Conor too but it's clear that if Duffy's rise continues they'll be meeting at lightweight in the future so he's obviously going to try and hype anything he can. I'd hope that people can see the wood from the trees here and don't start to turn on Joe (even ever so slightly) because of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement