Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Paully D wrote: »
    I don't get the criticism of Duffy at all. You'd struggle to find a nicer, more humble man on the entire UFC roster IMO. The bloke is as Irish as any of us and should get nothing but support from us. How can he help it that his father had to move over to Wales when he was a baby so he could provide for his family?

I really like Conor too but it's clear that if Duffy's rise continues they'll be meeting at lightweight in the future so he's obviously going to try and hype anything he can. I'd hope that people can see the wood from the trees here and don't start to turn on Joe (even ever so slightly) because of it.

I'd shout for Duffy, in that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Paully D wrote: »
    I don't get the criticism of Duffy at all. You'd struggle to find a nicer, more humble man on the entire UFC roster IMO. The bloke is as Irish as any of us and should get nothing but support from us. How can he help it that his father had to move over to Wales when he was a baby so he could provide for his family?

I really like Conor too but it's clear that if Duffy's rise continues they'll be meeting at lightweight in the future so he's obviously going to try and hype anything he can. I'd hope that people can see the wood from the trees here and don't start to turn on Joe (even ever so slightly) because of it.

Conor is having a go, therefore some people feel the need to turn on Duffy.

It's stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

darced wrote: »

after not paying JK the 2k for the tickets or was that another fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

DeVore wrote: »
    The weight cut thing is .... weird.

Why have the first weigh-in at all? Its like saying "hey, see if you can limbo under this weight but don't do it too well, or you will be booted!". If anything wont this mean some guy who walks around at 160 and cuts to 145 just wont rehydrate back up to 160 completely? Ironically making the problem *worse*... ? Or am I missing something.

If they are going to have a limit on fight day then why not make that the weightclass limit. ie: fight at 145 if you like but you will be 145 when you walk into the octagon.

You're missing it completely, if you can't cut and rehydrate you just won't cut so drastically, nobody is going to go into the ring dehydrated, they will just fight at closer to their natural weight or else they'll just get knocked around like a rag doll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DeVore wrote: »
    The weight cut thing is .... weird.

Why have the first weigh-in at all? Its like saying "hey, see if you can limbo under this weight but don't do it too well, or you will be booted!". If anything wont this mean some guy who walks around at 160 and cuts to 145 just wont rehydrate back up to 160 completely? Ironically making the problem *worse*... ? Or am I missing something.

If they are going to have a limit on fight day then why not make that the weightclass limit. ie: fight at 145 if you like but you will be 145 when you walk into the octagon.
    Fight night weighs ins are bad as fighting dehydrated drastically increases the chances of brain trauma. It's only of the reasons day before weigh-in came in for boxing originally.

You are right that people could try and not rehydrate all the way. But performance will be drastically effected. This give amateurs an idea of the max weight that they should be cutting for a division.
    Also, when it comes time to rehydrate, you don't exactly have precise control of the weight that's going on. Only trying to rehydrate halfway would be very difficult.
    You're missing it completely, if you can't cut and rehydrate you just won't cut so drastically, nobody is going to go into the ring dehydrated, they will just fight at closer to their natural weight or else they'll just get knocked around like a rag doll.
    That's what should happen, but it might take a few rag-dolled fights before the fighters learns that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I think McGregor is fooking hilarious (along with been an absolute phenom) and Duffy is a charming, silent killer. We should be immensely proud that both come from this small island in the crappy North Atlantic Sea. One day both these men could realistically fight it out again under the floodlights of Croke Park or Aviva. I think that is something to be very proud of in what is still quite a niche sport, not only here but globally.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Duffy is a Velociraptor! He doesn't fight people he hunts and stalks them in the ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Even the UFC are starting to hype the "Irishness" aspect between Conor and Joe now :rolleyes:

Joe Carr, UFC's VP of International:
    "Being of Irish decent and growing up in an Irish community, I feel like, when push comes to shove, the Irish people identify more with a personality type like Joe Duffy than they do with Conor McGregor.

"Conor is larger than life, and he’s probably well more liked than hated, but deep down that strong, silent go-about-your-business is more of an Irish personality type, in my personal opinion. And, I think the Irish people, and the Americans, can very much identify with that."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Just watched the latest interview with Conor and Faber, Conor comes across as a bully devoid of any wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Seen that interview too, tbh I don't mind the thrash talk from him, it's the I've done this , I've done that. Another interview he saying he built Holloway people wanna watch Holloway because of Conor. He creates revenue for ufc even if he not on a card.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Seen that interview too, tbh I don't mind the thrash talk from him, it's the I've done this , I've done that. Another interview he saying he built Holloway people wanna watch Holloway because of Conor. He creates revenue for ufc even if he not on a card.

It's just the constant picking on the height of some of team Alpha Male, constantly calling them midgets referring to them as kids really doesn't sit well with me.

Anyone watching this stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

McGregor making an absolute show of himself at this go big event. He wont shut the hell up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Saipanne wrote: »
    Anyone watching this stream?

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Turned it off after he said 'f* everyone up here', something has him seriously pissed off.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Link?

YouTube

Saipanne wrote: »
    YouTube

thanks but could you be a bit more specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqoGF2yztGU

• Advertisement

It's on ufc.com also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

Just type in go big ufc and it's the first one there it's a live event

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭shano_88

Jose was hot under the collar there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ronda's looking rougher than a badgers arse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Jose ain't happy at all.

I hate and love Conor.

Everytime I think I'm bored of him, I get sucked back in.

https://youtu.be/j8YdWM2mwWE

'This creates drama, drama creates emotion'

I didn't put a lot of worth in mind games, but Aldo constantly looks pissed off as hell. He feels disrespected, there's no way he's going into the octagon with the same mindset as any other fight he ever has had. Even if he knocks Conor out, he will have to be dragged off him by the ref. Conor doesn't actually hate Aldo, but I think Aldo actually hates him. Not sure if that will work for or against him.

Conor to Rockhold:''You're welcome''

ROFLCOPTER

• Advertisement

Christ the gimp in the purple t-shirt and shades.....puke

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement