Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Brandao has improved his cardio immensely and has stopped going hell for leather looking for the finish every time. His fight against Daniel Pineda was very well thought it - did very well not to blow himself out. Best he looked IMO.

This is a fight I was asking for ever since Conor beat Holloway. I personally think Brandao has the edge here and am on the fence and supporting Conor..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I won't get to go to this card and wasn't too disappointed until right now. Brandao is a much better fight IMO. It's a tougher test, not to mention the fact that Diego is a wildman and it'll end up being a barn burner!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

the Cole fight was gonna be another chance for Conor to showcase his ground, cause Miller wouldnt want anything to do with McG standing.

With Diego in there now, its another chance for Conor to get the hands going, and hopefully see a wee tasty KO like the one that got him the CW belt, slip & counter!

Def a much more interesting fight IMO

Mattyz69 wrote: »
    the Cole fight was gonna be another chance for Conor to showcase his ground, cause Miller wouldnt want anything to do with McG standing.

With Diego in there now, its another chance for Conor to get the hands going, and hopefully see a wee tasty KO like the one that got him the CW belt, slip & counter!

Def a much more interesting fight IMO

Diego is a solid black belt in Jiu Jitsu...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

That he is, but most of the time he opts to keep it on the feet tho

• Advertisement

Mattyz69 wrote: »
    That he is, but most of the time he opts to keep it on the feet tho

For sure but I genuinely think he has the edge on both feet and the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Im reckon he'll win by armbar he'll catch Conor in a scrammble,

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

I dont think people are giving Diego the credit he deserves.He is an agressive fighter and very competent on the ground and stading,people seem to forget the finishes he had in the TUF house-some devastating finishes.

Conor is coming back off a long lay off and Diego is coming off a loss to a very competent Poirier.

The fact that some people are writing off diego so flippintly is shocking.

I personally think Diego will walk through Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I also think its a very tuff match, and as i keep saying he'll catch Conor in an armbar during a scrammble .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

jodaw wrote: »
    Brimmage V Brandao would be a close fight for me.

Really?? You must have a very high opinion of Brimage or a very poor one of Brandao.

Brandao is on an entirely different planet in terms of skill when compared to Marcus Brimage. This fight would end very badly for Brimmage 99 times out of 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Relatively new to the whole MMA thing guys so excuse the ignorance here...

What I'm reading is that this new lad standing in for Miller is a better quality opponent for Conor McG is that right?

That would make me want to see this match up even more..McG has done well so far but hasn't been tested properly yet and with all his talking...now is a perfect chance to stand up and be counted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I personally think Diego will walk through Conor.

I second that and I will be putting my money where my mouth is as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Relatively new to the whole MMA thing guys so excuse the ignorance here...

What I'm reading is that this new lad standing in for Miller is a better quality opponent for Conor McG is that right?

Correct. Most MMA fans would be of the opinion that the new opponent, Brandao would be better quality than the original, Miller. Both are dangerous in their own right but Brandao would the more versatile of the two with a few more strings to his bow than Miller.

Will make for a totally different fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I can't wait for this fight. Personally think this is the type of opponent Conor should have had. Big opportunity for Conor to back up all of his talk against an arguably more dangerous opponent. No disrespect to Miller but I think Brandao offers more of a threat and should make for an interesting contest.

Was looking forward to Conor/Miller but this could be absolute fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Being honest I don't know a whole about Diego, just from reading posts online in various sites.I am finding very mixed thoughts from a good even fight, people saying he'll gas fast and Conor will finish him and others saying he will walk through Connor.

Watched a few videos of him fighting he seems to come out very aggressive and tries to finish fights fast.So 1st 2-3 mins of the fight should tell alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Its definitely a more dangerous fight for conor,brandao is a level above miller for sure,but he doesn't pose the same problems a lanky submission veteran like miller poses.
    But it would be foolish to assume conor will walk through him,i hope so but its a lot different level fight than miller who has been languishing in the lower tiers fighting nam phan,manny gamburyan and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

All this hype around mcgregor is absolutely crazy IMO.
    You cannot possibly tell whether he will "walk through" miller or Diego when the guy has not fought even a top 15 ranked opponent.

Roy Nelson can knock the $hit out of anyone outside the top 10 and look impressive doing it but cannot beat anyone in the top 10.

How can so many people (even himself) be so confident in him if he hasn't faced the elite competition necessary to judge him on that level?

I hope he does well as he is irish but the hype is very unnessary at this stage and a case of over eager patriotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Paddy Power have a McGregor special 4/1 that he will win a ufc belt before the end of 2016, Interim belts don't count.

How did he get to be ranking 13th in ufc featherweights?

Surely you would have to beat someone in the top 15 to break into it?

Ufc feeding the hype train?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Just after seeing the news. BIG test for Connor, should be a good fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

monkey8 wrote: »
    All this hype around mcgregor is absolutely crazy IMO.
    You cannot possibly tell whether he will "walk through" miller or Diego when the guy has not fought even a top 15 ranked opponent.

Roy Nelson can knock the $hit out of anyone outside the top 10 and look impressive doing it but cannot beat anyone in the top 10.

How can so many people (even himself) be so confident in him if he hasn't faced the elite competition necessary to judge him on that level?

I hope he does well as he is irish but the hype is very unnessary at this stage and a case of over eager patriotism.

The plan is clear. Keep the hype going over here. Get a few big day outs in Dublin City and hopefully don't get found out too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Thomas D wrote: »
    The plan is clear. Keep the hype going over here. Get a few big day outs in Dublin City and hopefully don't get found out too soon.

The hype isn't just going over here,there is hype about him all over,as much as he might be getting slated for his trash talking,he has got game and that is whats draws the attention to him to be able to trash talk so anyone cares.

So far he has won his fights in style and that is what has drawn attention to him in the states not here,and i think the ufc are hoping for not just big nights out in dublin,but big nights in vegas doubtful that they are just lining him up for long term irish cards,unless off course he loses a few fights then there will be a few big nights out in Dublin City but should he win he will be fighting on bigger cards in vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CraicWhores

JJayoo wrote: »
    Paddy Power have a McGregor special 4/1 that he will win a ufc belt before the end of 2016, Interim belts don't count.

Not good enough TTD imo.

Not good enough TTD imo.

Based on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

darced wrote: »
    He has never faced or trained with a decent wrestler and unless he is a gsp type phenom he will get out wrestled against the top guys.

I'd say pendred is a decent wrestler

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

He trains with Cathal pendred who has very good wrestling skills and Gunnar Nelson who is a world class bjj practitioner. (They do takedowns too you know!)

Anyways not saying he does have great tdd. Just saying that it's a silly statement to make when we don't know if he does yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Thomas D wrote: »

Still on your hate crusade against Conor I see. 11 posts in the forum and all of them criticising him, pathetic really.

• Advertisement

Probably should get a Conor Mcgregor begrudgers thread going to satisfy those who enjoy being unhappy and bitter most of the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement