Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

JJayoo wrote: »
    Phew lucky you were here to defend Conor from a posters opinion.

Yeah.

And just as lucky thatyou were here to stand up for the poster.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just watching that press conference now and just after Cerrone and him had a two and fro Dana went over and had a word to McGregor, McGregor had been interrupting everyone up to then so I presume it was for him to cool it a bit.

It did look like he was pissing off alot of people up there too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

What we see here as over the top **** is what the americans love, they lap up that WWE esque trash talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

John_D80 wrote: »
    Yeah.

And just as lucky thatyou were here to stand up for the poster.....

Ya that's kinda the point of a forum, yano people sharing opinions :rolleyes:

Whereas you calling someone a clown because you disagree with them, well that usually gets someone a ban, so maybe you should cop on.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Ya that's kinda the point of a forum, yano people sharing opinions :rolleyes:

Whereas you calling someone a clown because you disagree with them, well that usually gets someone a ban, so maybe you should cop on.

And there was me thinking it was up to the mods to hand out bans. Silly old me.

Thank god you're here to keep us in check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I thought Conor was quite funny at the presser. His comment to Dos Anjos about Rafael ringing his wife and telling her to break out the red panties if he landed a fight with him was hilarious :pac: Lets be honest - he's also correct in the main point he was making. Aside from Ronda, he's the biggest money fight in the UFC and hypothetically if any fighter that was sitting there tonight could back out of their current matchup and fight Conor instead they would all take it without a second of hesitation. He's extremely brash about it and it's not to everyone's taste, but then again that's the reason he's the big money fight. You pay to watch because you want to see him win or you pay to watch because you want to see someone shut his mouth.

You could sense that a lot of the other fighters and indeed large parts of the audience were getting quite pissed off with him constantly interrupting however. About 50 minutes in on the YouTube video, Dana went over to him and I presume asked him to tone it down a bit as he settled down for a while after that.

About 5 minutes of total interaction with Aldo, and Conor had Jose rattled again though. Conor's change of tact in shaking his hand when they met at TUF and then starting to turn the screw in that presser clearly had Aldo at boiling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Aldo looked legitimately angry, his blood was boiling. Conor on the other hand just sees it all as fun and games. Some genuine LOL moments. Cerrone is a terrible trash talker, basically resorted to Irish jokes. I did laugh when he called him 'McNugget' though. Also Conor saying 'you're welcome' to Rockhold made me laugh.

I can see why people hate him and find him embarrassing. But at the end of the day you can't deny that what he's doing is absolutely genius. There's never been anyone like that in the UFC. As someone said above, the Americans love that sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

At times you'd feel like he was going a bit over the top, but mostly it was hilarious viewing. Look at the amount of champions and world class fighters that were up on the stage, but there's only one person that people will go away talking about. It really is the McGregor show now. Unless he goes out and loses his next 2 or 3 fights badly, he's going to have many big fights in the next few years and become very rich. Like Ariel said on Twitter, he basically set up 3 potential fights for 2016 inside two minutes near the start.

Funniest part for me was when Cowboy told him he's beaten nobody - with Mendes sat beside him. Also when Frankie admitted that he's the money fight, and Conor clapped and said "That's all I want, honesty. Well done Frankie!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

shrewdness wrote: »
    Funniest part for me was when Cowboy told him he's beaten nobody - with Mendes sat beside him. Also when Frankie admitted that he's the money fight, and Conor clapped and said "That's all I want, honesty. Well done Frankie!"

Yeah same here, both of those moments were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I thought cowboy got the better of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I thought cowboy got the better of him.

Calling him McNugget was......witty.

Haha yeah that was pretty funny alright. In fairness to McGregor, he turned it right back around fairly quick though, with the 'ladies first' comment.

I'd love to havee been a fly on the wall backstage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

John_D80 wrote: »
    Haha yeah that was pretty funny alright. In fairness to McGregor, he turned it right back around fairly quick though, with the 'ladies first' comment.

I'd love to havee been a fly on the wall backstage.

To clarify my comment, I thought the McNugget comment was awful. You could see how slow the cogs in Cowboys mind were working when that crawled out of his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It was later when he said that Conor's not as big and loud backstage, he didn't really have a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Cerrone called him English did he not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Cerrone called him English did he not?

He did, I assume it was an attempt to rile Conor in which case it didn't work. I'd like to think Cowboy knows the difference!

Bit surprised with the trash talk between the two lately as they always seemed to get on well enough when they shared cards in the past. But I suppose with Conor's rise over the last year and talking of moving to 155, it's looking like they'll probably meet before long. Not to mention Conor has started calling out the lightweight division like he did the featherweights ages ago and Cowboy isn't one to back down. It's good business for both if they continue to talk it up, regardless of what happens against Aldo it's a likely fight in the next year or two.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

mdwexford wrote: »
    Yeah same here, both of those moments were great.

https://www.facebook.com/severemmacom/videos/869500453139333/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I really did lol to that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

McGregor has said some hypocritical crap before but having a go at Duffy for not being irish enough and then coming out and say 'panties' is just sickening :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

As funny as last night was, does anyone think McGregor is becoming more.... erratic?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Saipanne wrote: »
    As funny as last night was, does anyone think McGregor is becoming more.... erratic?

Seemed a little ...overstimulated to me

Too much Monster Energy?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

"I'm from sandy mount" said in the most Australian accent you'll ever hear.

Ye that made me laugh. Jesus the poor chap was so up Conor's hole. Looked the spit of him too

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ye that made me laugh. Jesus the poor chap was so up Conor's hole. Looked the spit of him too

I take it that's what you guys mean by a "bandwagoner"?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Definitely think Conor made a bit of a show of himself last night, there's 1 camp that seems to think it's all part of a genius plan to be the one people leave talking about & I do get that...it's fared him well so far, but in some circumstances less is more & him answering questions & randomly rantin an ravin at times had me willing him to shutup for 2mins.

I'm a fan but to me he looked a bit like a mouthy little upstart during that event, funny at times but again the type that there's always 1 in every group that everyone is a little bit embarrassed by

(kudos to him being the only one to bail down to the crowd at the end though, was impressed by that)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Definitely think Conor made a bit of a show of himself last night, there's 1 camp that seems to think it's all part of a genius plan to be the one people leave talking about & I do get that...it's fared him well so far, but in some circumstances less is more & him answering questions & randomly rantin an ravin at times had me willing him to shutup for 2mins.

I'm a fan but to me he looked a bit like a mouthy little upstart during that event, funny at times but again the type that there's always 1 in every group that everyone is a little bit embarrassed by

(kudos to him being the only one to bail down to the crowd at the end though, was impressed by that)

I found Conors 155lb welcome party hilarious, it was like a bunch of rottweilers confused at a jackrussle yappin at them! He has Aldo rattled.

I don't know if rattled is the right word, he defo has him extremely pissed off and very motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Doubt he would get away with that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

GUESS WHO'S BACK.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement