Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

evo2000 wrote: »
    The way i see it is Mcgregor is a Champ now and Aldo is a Champ and they are going to see who is Undisputed Champ.

Otherwise just simply get rid of the interim title as it has no use what so ever.

So they're both the champion?

Get a grip.

I'm with Joe Rogan on this, it's a made up title to hype a fight and keep things simple with the NSAC for UFC 189 and not have to downgrade the Mendes fight to a 3 rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The way i see it is Mcgregor is a Champ now and Aldo is a Champ and they are going to see who is Undisputed Champ.

Otherwise just simply get rid of the interim title as it has no use what so ever.

So if Mendes had won the interim belt you would see him as a champ? and equal to Aldo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

JJayoo wrote: »
    So if Mendes had won the interim belt you would see him as a champ? and equal to Aldo?

Yes they would both be champions they would both have belts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Aldo's already the undisputed champion, this is almost as ridiculous as the "super champion" crap in boxing.

Aldo is not the undisputed champion. Right now there is an interm champion in Conor McGregor, when Aldo and McGregor fight its a unification fight and the winner is the undisputed champion.

Yes

That's just clutching at straws now.

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Aldo is not the undisputed champion. Right now there is an interm champion in Conor McGregor, when Aldo and McGregor fight its a unification fight and the winner is the undisputed champion.

Thats what ive been saying!

I'm with Joe Rogan on this, it's a made up title to hype a fight and keep things simple with the NSAC for UFC 189 and not have to downgrade the Mendes fight to a 3 rounder.

This is the reason there is an Interim belt in the McGregor situation.

I mean has there been another example of this? where the champ misses a fight but will be able to fight again in the next few months and an Interim belt was introduced?

I don't often agree with Joe Rogan, but I do on this one.
    “Let’s be honest. McGregor has an illegitimate belt. It’s a made up belt. We call it the ‘interim’ belt but Aldo defended his title a year ago. Stripping a guy because he doesn’t— because he can’t get through a camp without getting injured is a part of MMA.

It’s always been a part of MMA. But, because of the marketing, because of the hype behind it, because of the huge event, the enormity, the economics of the event, they decide to make [McGregor vs. Mendes] an interim fight. He’s got a title. ”

That's just clutching at straws now.

You are wrong dude simmer down..

I mean has there been another example of this? where the champ misses a fight but will be able to fight again in the next few months and an Interim belt was introduced?

It would have been one thing if they actually stripped Aldo of the belt. But this is just a joke.

• Advertisement

Tell yourself whatever you want while lapping up the Dana White logic of it all, but this "they're both the champion" nonsense is laughable.

I don't often agree with Joe Rogan, but I do on this one.

Really joe rogan is your reference? the same lad that rants on about how great hallucinogenics are and aliens and tries to force the truth down peoples throats... Not to mention his swinging off Chad mendes nuts and discrediting mcgregors win in that aswell by going along with the "full camp" crap!

Tell yourself whatever you want while lapping up the Dana White logic of it all, but this "they're both the champion" nonsense is laughable.

You actually cant handle that people disagree with you can you? whether you agree with it or not it simple is how it is and the fact is they are both champions now thats a fact.

Really joe rogan is your reference? the same lad that rants on about how great hallucinogenics are and aliens and tries to force the truth down peoples throats... Not to mention his swinging off Chad mendes nuts and discrediting mcgregors win in that aswell by going along with the "full camp" crap!

He WORKS for the UFC! If anything it's in his interests to hype it up even more and keep his employers happy. But he calls it like it is.

You actually cant handle that people disagree with you can you?

I can, just seeing people blinded by fanboyism is kind of sad.

Conor's a ****ing phenomenon, he's an absolute monster in that devision, but he's not a champion, his belt is meaningless.

I can, just seeing people blinded by fanboyism is kind of sad.

Conor's a ****ing phenomenon, he's an absolute monster in that devision, but he's not a champion, his belt is meaningless.

Thats you re opinion,

But the FACT is he is a Champion right now.

:rolleyes:

Has to be a troll anyone who knows even the slightest thing about MMA would never spout such crap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

How about we look at facts and not just people trying to shove their opinion on people in an effort to make themselves sound right?

Yes..Werdum vs Cain. UFC 180. Seen as you know everything about MMA you would be aware of this.

Werdum was to fight Cain. Cain pulled out due to injury and Werdum fought Hunt instead for the interim title till Cain was back from injury.

He WORKS for the UFC! If anything it's in his interests to hype it up even more and keep his employers happy. But he calls it like it is.

So wait... he should hype it to keep his employers happy but instead he does the opposite and this instantly means his telling the truth...

Or maybe his biased and being american and backing the home fighter by going along with the no full camp excuse all the while giving mcgregor no credit for taking a completely different style of oppenant on short notice, fighting with an injury himself.

And to top it off the full camp excuse works both ways!

But yeah... rogan must be telling the unbiased truth...

:rolleyes:

Has to be a troll anyone who knows even the slightest thing about MMA would never spout such crap.

The classic "Im beaten with facts so ill try attack the poster directly" reply... please just give it over.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Like I said before, in my opinion, and many, many, many other peoples opinion, if Conor wins in December he will be a deserved legitimate champion and will have beaten the pound for pound #1 mixed martial artist in the world.

But right now he's just the next guy trying to take Aldo's title and happens to have a new piece of knock off jewellery.

The classic "Im beaten with facts so ill try attack the poster directly" reply... please just give it over.. :rolleyes:

Oh no keep at it, entertaining now that I get where your coming from

Like I said before, in my opinion, and many, many, many other peoples opinion, if Conor wins in December he will be a deserved legitimate champion and will have beaten the pound for pound #1 mixed martial artist in the world.

But right now he's just the next guy trying to take Aldo's title and happens to have a new piece of knock off jewellery.

Right now he has the title champion whether you like it or not.

And many many many many other people agree with me also..:rolleyes:

Yes..Werdum vs Cain. UFC 180. Seen as you know everything about MMA you would be aware of this.

Werdum was to fight Cain. Cain pulled out due to injury and Werdum fought Hunt instead for the interim title till Cain was back from injury.

I agree with the Interim belt in this case, Cian had torn his MCL and Meniscus in his knee, a really serious Injury which could have sidelined him for a year.

The Aldo situation he had injured ribs, an injury which would have had him out for a few weeks. A longer injury then of course.

Or maybe the UFC gave Conor the title so he would stop trying to snatch the actual title of Aldo during press conferences :pac:

I agree with the Interim belt in this case, Cian had torn his MCL and Meniscus in his knee, a really serious Injury which could have sidelined him for a year.

The Aldo situation he had injured ribs, an injury which would have had him out for a few weeks. A longer injury then of course.

Or maybe the UFC gave Conor the title so he would stop trying to snatch the actual title of Aldo during press conferences :pac:

So was werdum the champion then?

Or was it a fake belt?

Ye seem to pick and choose the rules as it suits yer argument...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

The point of interim champions is that the real champion has been unable to fight for a while, like with Werdum or Barao, and in Barao's case Cruz stayed injured so he eventually became the undisputed champ. Aldo hadn't been out for a long time and we knew he'd be back soon, the interim belt was made so that Conor could have a 5 round main event. Some serious ignorance in this thread.

The point of interim champions is that the real champion has been unable to fight for a while, like with Werdum or Barao, and in Barao's case Cruz stayed injured so he eventually became the undisputed champ. Aldo hadn't been out for a long time and we knew he'd be back soon, the interim belt was made so that Conor could have a 5 round main event. Some serious ignorance in this thread.

Some serious arrogance in some of the posts people like you have been making try to force ur opinion as fact, please provide some proof that the interim champion was only made so conor could have a 5 round main?

Perhaps the reason it was made was due to the injury record that aldo has ? Maybe the UFC had enough? You wont be long changing your tune if aldo misses the next fight which id bet any money he will!

The fact remains mcgregor like it or lump it is a champion right now and aldo is no long undisputed and thats a fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Enough of the handbags. We will find out on December 12 who is the real deal.

Did McGregor get any kind of welcome in Dublin airport? Didn't see anything about it.

Enough of the handbags. We will find out on December 12 who is the real deal.

Did McGregor get any kind of welcome in Dublin airport? Didn't see anything about it.

Few photogs and reporters, it was pretty late and he didn't publicise it. He gave a few quick words to the SevereMMA lads, video is a few pages back.

• Advertisement

I May be late to this thread on "GO BIG" but I felt conor (and I do really like 'em) let himself down big time on this one. He came off as a total DIVA and alienated himself within the room, gotta say by the last minute it was very hard to watch. Though I did think Cerone's go back to England remark was a bit below the belt....I'm sure he had that well rehearsed! maybe that fuelled mcgregors fiery response. 155 will be a huge step up for him, much heavier hands in that division and a swathe of lads waiting to kick em back to 145 I suspect. Time will tell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement