Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

evo2000 wrote: »
    Right now he has the title champion whether you like it or not.

And many many many many other people agree with me also..:rolleyes:

im just going to leave this here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/623218-interim-title-fights-is-it-time-for-interim-belts-to-go

"The popular opinion is that interim belts are essentially meaningless and nothing more than a way for organisations to promote fights. This view is not only shared by the fans but also a number of"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

So, if Aldo wins does he get two belts?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Whats ridiculous is "You aint the champ till you beat the champ" statements if the champ is injured the whole time and ur destroying no1 contenders your the champ or atleast = to the champ.

Correct, when there is an interim belt.

If the champion is injured (Cruz) gone (Jones) or retires, well then you can hardly beat him but of course you know this.

Didn't someone have an interim at WW?? everyone still considered GSP the champ & Nobody considered Werdum the champion until he beat Cain.

Right now he has the title champion whether you like it or not.

And many many many many other people agree with me also..:rolleyes:

Many many many many other people haven't a clue. Interim titles in boxing & MMA don't mean a whole lot.

Every knowledgeable fight fan (boxing or MMA) agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

T-K-O wrote: »
    Didn't someone have an interim at WW?? everyone still considered GSP the champ & Nobody considered Werdum the champion until he beat Cain.
    Condit had it at WW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Here's a way of looking at it.

If Conor wins in December, the ref will will lift his hand and Bruce Buffer will say "and new featherweight champion of the world".

If Jose wins in December, the ref will lift his hand and Bruce Buffer will say "and still featherweight champion of the world".
    No matter who wins, they'll announce him as "the undisputed champion".
    Whether you agree with the interim belt is irrelevant. The fact is, rightly or wrongly, it exists.
    Ergo, Conor is not a champion. Interm belts are for when a title is vacated or stripped, neither of those things happened, Jose is Champion, Conor is just the second best priest.
    Thats not true either. When a title is stripped or vacated, there's no interim title used. Why would there be? It's not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I consider interm champs, true no 1 contender and a gate keeper. You don't get shot at champion till you beat him ( conor) in this case. Aldo is the injured champion and until he's beaten or stripped he still true champion. If Mendes was who was meant to fight aldo in july, I doubt we be talking bout interm belts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The way i see it is Mcgregor is a Champ now and Aldo is a Champ and they are going to see who is Undisputed Champ.
    Yes they would both be champions they would both have belts.

You're talking sh*te!

Conor will use his bravado and say he's the real champ (he was saying it anyway). But when he goes to sleep at night, although he most certainly believes he is the best in the world, he knows he's not the champ until he beats the current UFC Champion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You're talking sh*te!

Conor will use his bravado and say he's the real champ (he was saying it anyway). But when he goes to sleep at night, although he most certainly believes he is the best in the world, he knows he's not the champ until he beats the current UFC Champion.

More non factual bull**** yawn...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think this is a very fair article from Chuck Mindenhall:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/9/7/9272013/with-conor-mcgregor-going-big-is-the-only-way-he-knows-how
    Late last week, when Conor McGregor went bigger than everyone else at the UFC’s "Go Big" event, it felt a little bit like an unveiling for the monster we've created. If you didn’t see it, do yourself a favor.

McGregor picked fights with the entire pantheon of fighters who were gathered to bring home the sheer immensity of the occasion. Holly Holm, sitting right next to McGregor, was like the bookish girl who got stuck next to the obnoxious kid in class. She was mortified. Donald Cerrone, sitting directly behind McGregor, was ready to kick that Irish ass. He had ten gallons of descending shadow playing over his features the entire time. In fact, Cerrone was so caught up in McGregor’s tirade(s) about the stumblebums around him and the mired lightweight division that he coolly pointed out that McGregor hadn’t beat anybody at 145.

Poor Chad Mendes, who gave it the old college try at UFC 189, was sitting right next to Cerrone, pinching himself to see if he was real. McGregor had everyone forgetting their manners. He was turning polite company rude. He was presenting himself as a lottery ticket that could make any of them rich. He did this all with his fly down.

It was perhaps the high point of his out-of-cage experiences.

McGregor stood out as something extraordinarily singular in a solitary sport. He saw no need to be civil to the people who share his profession. He didn’t respect a single soul, least of all Jose Aldo, the lone panel guest who has a date lined up to do him bodily harm. He turned the game’s greatest fighters into shrinking violets. McGregor offended everyone from 155-pound champ Rafael dos Anjos to Joseph Duffy, the last man to beat him. Dan Henderson stood by like a farm animal chewing cud as the farmer streaked through the barnyard banging pots and pans.

Or so it seemed. Compared to McGregor, everybody else seemed a little slow-witted and ordinary.

Even more remarkable was that he injected himself into every equation. As the event went on, it wasn’t Frankie Edgar against Chad Mendes, it was Mendes getting a full camp against McGregor, or Edgar getting his shot at McGregor. It wasn’t Cerrone and RDA, it was Cerrone and McGregor. It wasn’t Duffy and Dustin Poirier, it was Poirier getting another crack at McGregor. It was Duffy, the "journeyman," against McGregor. It was everyone against McGregor, which, if you want in on a secret, is something like achieving the very essence of the fight game.

To steal shows and activate your imagination. To enter your name in every scenario. To dwarf common men.

Yet, at the same time, man…the UFC’s "Go Big" event also felt like the moment McGregor’s booming amplitude began to hurt our ears a little bit. What was it that Abraham Lincoln said? If you want to test man’s character, give him power? McGregor, in his short time in the fight game, is already well on his way to becoming insufferable. Everybody sees this. It’s a matter of time. He’s like the spoiled child that we’ve enabled, and he can’t help himself. The only thing that outshines his talent is his ability to tell you about it. His confidence borders on absurd. He’s new money, and he’ll rub it in your face with two shaking fistfuls.

"Uncle Frank," from some ivory tower, has created a monster.

We all have. How long can this continue? How will he evolve?

See, these are the underpinnings in a case like McGregor’s. It’s an extraordinary naivety that simply can’t last. The only thing we like better than hoisting a star into the sky is tearing it back down. There were a dozen fighters up on the panel at the "Go Big" event chomping at the bit to be the ones to start him towards ruin. The more McGregor talks, the more comeuppance ripens as a side plot.

Still, you’ve got to respect his ability to just go for it.

"F*ck everybody else up here," McGregor said at one point, as Dana White turned a little red with admiration. "I’m the money fight in the division."

It’s true. McGregor is the firebrand of the sport. He gets it. He has no parallels. Even the game’s most transcendent star, Ronda Rousey, finds herself in competition against McGregor. They are vying for gate records. Rousey is headed for Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, Australia, which can cram 75,000 souls into its confines.

McGregor is headed some place less certain, but nobody in the sport embodies the now quite like him. UFC said to "Go Big," and McGregor got the memo. He went big. Maybe too big. Maybe to the point where he actually outdid himself.

• Advertisement

From a personal self promotion stance, it's quite remarkable what conor has achieved. However.. When he does loose in the Ufc it's going to be so easy for those guys to dismiss him.

he has that undefeated (Ufc) luxury, does he over step the mark, yeah probably but he's not wrong for maximising his time in the spotlight.

From a personal self promotion stance, it's quite remarkable what conor has achieved. However.. When he does loose in the Ufc it's going to be so easy for those guys to dismiss him.

he has that undefeated (Ufc) luxury, does he over step the mark, yeah probably but he's not wrong for maximising his time in the spotlight.

IF he loses you mean, he is prob the most intelligent fighter in the ufc his milking it for what its worth making money and his dead right to do it!

Other fighters would do well to take a leaf out of his book, instead of going the traditional route of ending up with brain damage and peanuts to show for it.

Many many many many other people haven't a clue. Interim titles in boxing & MMA don't mean a whole lot.

Every knowledgeable fight fan (boxing or MMA) agree with this.

No every knowledgeable fight fan agrees with me not you.

Do you think conor would defeat Bruce Lee?

What about a dragon?

Do you think conor would defeat Bruce Lee?

What about a dragon?

I think he would tko the dragon in the first round his power would be too much and the weight cut would drain the dragon!

And many many many many others agree with this.

Also like to add that all knoweledgeble fight fans agree with me. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

On a serious note, you and lads should return the affliction kit.

Guys like conor bring in a tonne of new fans, unfortunately they act and comment as if they know what they're Talking about. Such is life.

On a serious note, you and lads should return the affliction kit.

Guys like conor bring in a tonne of new fans, unfortunately they act and comment as if they know what they're Talking about. Such is life.

In all seriousness you need to tone down the all knowing crap... you know little to nothing about mma yet you ll spout trash like "all knowledgeable fans agree with me" please...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

No in fairness everyone on here either thinks you are a troll or else that lad in the purple t-shirt.

There are many knowledgeable guys on this forum and I have yet to see one agree with you.

It's very simple, nobody considers the interim guy to be champion when the real champion is still active. If you have been following the sport for some time, I guarantee, that this was also your position until Conor fought for the interim belt.

Im sure if Conor was in Aldos position, you an guys like you would be on here shouting about fakes belts.

you should also notice, that I am the only person silly / bored enough to entertain your nonsense. I should really know better.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    No in fairness everyone on here either thinks you are a troll or else that lad in the purple t-shirt.

By everyone you mean yourself and TKO.. please

The definition of a troll to ye two is anyone that disagrees with yer view...

ye talk some amount of tripe!

There are many knowledgeable guys on this forum and I have yet to see one agree with you.

It's very simple, nobody considers the interim guy to be champion when the real champion is still active. If you have been following the sport for some time, I guarantee, that this was also your position until Conor fought for the interim belt.

Im sure if Conor was in Aldos position, you an guys like you would be on here shouting about fakes belts.

The only one agreeing with you is ur buddy jayo even the mods disagree with ye... again stop talking tripe and acting like you know everything you havent a notion,

Not to mention the amount of people that agree with you on a forum has no bearing on whats is right or wrong.

Stop being that guy the hipster that just has to be anti anything conor mcgregor

you should also notice, that I am the only person silly / bored enough to entertain your nonsense. I should really know better.

wow could you be anymore pompous ? you re boarding on narcissistic at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

If you guys want to have a pissing contest, take it to pm. Don't clog the thread up with petty arguing.

The only one agreeing with you is ur buddy jayo even the mods disagree with ye... again stop talking tripe and acting like you know everything you havent a notion,

Not to mention the amount of people that agree with you on a forum has no bearing on whats is right or wrong.

Stop being that guy the hipster that just has to be anti anything conor mcgregor

Busted. Find one single post from me not supporting Conor.

You see, I criticise the interim belt and you read criticism aimed on Conor. It has nothing to do with Conor

What is in fact hipster is changing ones opinion to suit Conor. Interim belts never meant anything in combat sport, especially so in a situation like Aldo/Conor

Busted. Find one single post from me not supporting Conor.

You see, I criticise the interim belt and you read criticism aimed on Conor. It has nothing to do with Conor

What is in fact hipster is changing ones opinion to suit Conor. Interim belts never meant anything in combat sport, especially so in a situation like Aldo/Conor

Did you not read the above ? give it a rest dude...

You give it a rest

You give it a rest

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I've a feeling El Guapo is gonna give you both a rest

• Advertisement

RE: Interim belts. Im sure a lot of you guys also follow boxing. In boxing, you have guys with interim titles defending the interim belt but at the same time the champion was defending the real title against other opponents....great for sanctioning bodies and promoters. Bad for the sport.

MMA does not want to follow boxing's lead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement