Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TheNap wrote: »
    Yes lets discuss the fight for once.

How would you see Conor winning ?

And how would you see Aldo winning ?

I can see either putting the other away. I can also see either taking out 3 rounds and getting the decision.
    I don't see a submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I think Aldo's best bet is to grapple, if he takes Conor down he could do bad damage or finish it. Standing its a close fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

TheNap wrote: »
    Yes lets discuss the fight for once.

How would you see Conor winning ?

And how would you see Aldo winning ?

I reckon mcgregor will win and handy enough espeically if it stays standing,

His faster than aldo, has way better foot work, his more range more power and has more varied attacks and is far bigger than aldo, then i think aldos style plays to mcgregors stenght and the fact that his a fighter that likes to throw everything behind his shots he is flat footed and plods foward alot, i dont think leg kicks will be a factor either as i see mcgregor backing him up the entire fight that and the range of mcgregor dont make leg kicks a viable option

It will be a long night for aldo if it stays standing i think mendes was a tougher fight for mcgregor style wise.

For aldo to win i think he will need to mix it up and have a high work rate (i dont think his capable of it for 5 rounds) he wont get the job done against mcgregor if he stays standing throwing ones and twos with a leg kick, he ll need to fight well on the back foot and be successful with take down to have a chance in this fight and avoid being pinned to the cage like the black plague! good lateral movement and gain mcgregors respect early on with something.

Before the IV ban i was 100% sure mcgregor would win and easily at that he has too many tools for aldo, it ll be interesting to see how both copes with the weight cut without ivs that said i still think mcgregor wins by ko/tko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

evo2000 wrote: »
    Before the IV ban i was 100% sure mcgregor would win and easily at that he has too many tools for aldo, it ll be interesting to see how both copes with the weight cut without ivs that said i still think mcgregor wins by ko/tko.

Is McGregor going to stick to the rules and not IV rehydrate even though Aldo has come out publically and stated he will be rehydrating with IV?

Not exactly fair if that is the case.

Is McGregor going to stick to the rules and not IV rehydrate even though Aldo has come out publically and stated he will be rehydrating with IV?

I dunno what way that ll work tbh, i think aldo said he was only joking but he does have point he could go and use it anyway, id imagine they d have some way to enforce the ban tho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The head of "wellness and fighter safety", or whatever he's calling himself, for the UFC (basically the new drug tsar) said that he spoke with Aldo afterwards and Aldo apologised, saying he must've been in a bad mood that day and he'll 100% stick by the rules.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The head of "wellness and fighter safety", or whatever he's calling himself, for the UFC (basically the new drug tsar) said that he spoke with Aldo afterwards and Aldo apologised, saying he must've been in a bad mood that day and he'll 100% stick by the rules.

Yeah but that aside he did have a point whats to stop fighters from using IVs anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

I reckon mcgregor will win and handy enough espeically if it stays standing,

His faster than aldo, has way better foot work, his more range more power and has more varied attacks and is far bigger than aldo, then i think aldos style plays to mcgregors stenght and the fact that his a fighter that likes to throw everything behind his shots he is flat footed and plods foward alot, i dont think leg kicks will be a factor either as i see mcgregor backing him up the entire fight that and the range of mcgregor dont make leg kicks a viable option

It will be a long night for aldo if it stays standing i think mendes was a tougher fight for mcgregor style wise.

For aldo to win i think he will need to mix it up and have a high work rate (i dont think his capable of it for 5 rounds) he wont get the job done against mcgregor if he stays standing throwing ones and twos with a leg kick, he ll need to fight well on the back foot and be successful with take down to have a chance in this fight and avoid being pinned to the cage like the black plague! good lateral movement and gain mcgregors respect early on with something.

I got as far as the bit in bold then you reminded you dont have a f**king clue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If McGregor injured his knee again in the camp for Mendes that's a worry for the Aldo fight.

Aldo will be kicking him hard anyway so showing up with a less than 100% knee could be bad news.

Yeah but that aside he did have a point whats to stop fighters from using IVs anyway?

Apparently there are traces left in the blood when someone uses an IV. Some sort of plastic trace or some sort of evidence that there are been plastic used.

• Advertisement

Please tell me you re not saying Aldo has better footwork and is faster lol just please dont even try make the argument you look silly as it is lol and you say i dont have a clue....smh

Please tell me you re not saying Aldo has better footwork and is faster lol just please dont even try make the argument you look silly as it is lol and you say i dont have a clue....smh

Im saying your trolling this thread for two days and its obvious you dont have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If McGregor injured his knee again in the camp for Mendes that's a worry for the Aldo fight.

Aldo will be kicking him hard anyway so showing up with a less than 100% knee could be bad news.

Surely the knee trouble he has had is a worry for his career in general! He has had a fair few issues at this stage.

Im saying your trolling this thread for two days and its obvious you dont have a clue.

Thats all you can say is that i dont have a clue, you cant say nothing else just that sort of drivel either add to the thread or stop crying about my posts

Surely the knee trouble he has had is a worry for his career in general! He has had a fair few issues at this stage.

Was it the same knee he injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Apparently there are traces left in the blood when someone uses an IV. Some sort of plastic trace or some sort of evidence that there are been plastic used.

Surely a way around that.

Thats all you can say is that i dont have a clue, you cant say nothing else just that sort of drivel either add to the thread or stop crying about my posts

Its hard to debate your particular brand of waffle. You either completely believe in what your posting or your taking the mick.. i reckon its a little from column a and a little from column b.

Its hard to debate your particular brand of waffle. You either completely believe in what your posting or your taking the mick.. i reckon its a little from column a and a little from column b.

No one argees with you everyone else is keeping on topic and then theres people like you that just insist on throwing there toys out of the pram when they dont agree with something

You dont even have a point all u do is criticize and talking pure high grade waffle.

Cry away anyway because ill just be ignoring your tripe from now on troll.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Can you imagine if he had to pull out of the fight a few weeks beforehand 'cos of a knee problem :eek:

Can you imagine if he had to pull out of the fight a few weeks beforehand 'cos of a knee problem :eek:

Dont jinix it!! haha itd look fair bad for him alright after all the talk his done about aldo not showing up! itd be brutal for the ufc aswell from a business stand point.

• Advertisement

Saipanne wrote: »
    Surely a way around that.

Dunno but he explained a lot on the Rogan Podcast. He was on last week or the week before:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

The knee is worrying. Never fully recover from that injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Dunno but he explained a lot on the Rogan Podcast. He was on last week or the week before:

Argh this download isn't available anymore. Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Sure he would still show up, obv, no way he would lose the payday and then he has the perfect story for why he didn't mangle his opponent since he would obviously destroy the entire roster fully fit.

Could you imagine him pulling out after all his I show up ****e?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

You know its gonna be proper funny when Mcgregor absolutely lights up aldo standing and ko s him! make sure you come back here then and we ll see whos the one that was clueless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

His knee is fine. Trust me. He's moving very well at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I dunno what way that ll work tbh, i think aldo said he was only joking but he does have point he could go and use it anyway, id imagine they d have some way to enforce the ban tho?
    As far as I know they don't.
    The banned list is a list of substances and methods that WADA have banned. Not the list of item they can test for.

But there isn't a total ban on IVs. There are allowed up to 50ml/6hrs. So traces of plastic in the blood are don’t prove a lot. Glass IV bottles are available too.
    There’s no threshold limit established, and without a reference level so show a spike they can’t prove much. Contador got off on that issue at one point.

I’ll give that Joe Rogan podcast a listen, but I think they’ll struggle to pin this one anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Richy06 wrote: »
    His knee is fine. Trust me. He's moving very well at the moment.
    Looked fine to me on Monday anyway when he was rolling,

Mellor wrote: »
    As far as I know they don't.
    The banned list is a list of substances and methods that WADA have banned. Not the list of item they can test for.

But there isn't a total ban on IVs. There are allowed up to 50ml/6hrs. So traces of plastic in the blood are don’t prove a lot. Glass IV bottles are available too.
    There’s no threshold limit established, and without a reference level so show a spike they can’t prove much. Contador got off on that issue at one point.

I’ll give that Joe Rogan podcast a listen, but I think they’ll struggle to pin this one anyone.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/07/for-ufc-fighters-the-ban-on-iv-use-is-coming-but-will-it-matter

Thats a good read and sheds a good bit of light on the whole thing, i think it will make weight cuts that bit more dangerous tho for alot of fighters, on the plus side it might encourage fighters to fight at a more natural weight and might mean the end of ridiculous weight cuts (Anthony Johnson at WW..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think the IV thing is overstated. Both fighters have used it in the past but you can still make the same cut without an IV. It's just more hassle, because your going to be constantly drinking water all day after the weigh ins. Whereas with an IV you can take a nap or have a good rest after probably an exhausting cut.

Conor is definitely sick of the cut though and doing that frequently will take it's toll on the body. I think the UFC should just move to same day weigh ins. As long as their is an advantage to be gained by cutting large amounts of weight people are going to find their way around things like an IV ban. The brain supposedly takes 3 days to fully rehydrate so fighters who cut big amounts are definitely more at risk to brain trauma.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement