Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think the IV thing is overstated. Both fighters have used it in the past but you can still make the same cut without an IV. It's just more hassle, because your going to be constantly drinking water all day after the weigh ins. Whereas with an IV you can take a nap or have a good rest after probably an exhausting cut.

Conor is definitely sick of the cut though and doing that frequently will take it's toll on the body. I think the UFC should just move to same day weigh ins. As long as their is an advantage to be gained by cutting large amounts of weight people are going to find their way around things like an IV ban. The brain supposedly takes 3 days to fully rehydrate so fighters who cut big amounts are definitely more at risk to brain trauma.

Yeah same day weigh ins would solve it alright, Mcgregor looked like a missed dinner away from death for the mendes fight weigh in! Some of the weight cuts people make are just ridiculous tho i dont know how anthony johnson made WW at all he musta been cutting some serious weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That pretty much agree with my thoughts above. The presence of plastic alone means nothing.
    Contador was banned for clenbuterol, they couldn't bring charges against him on the plastic as there's no reference level. It also makes sense that after rehydrating 10kgs of water from plastic bottles, a fighter might have plastic traces in his urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

evo2000 wrote: »
    You know its gonna be proper funny when Mcgregor absolutely lights up aldo standing and ko s him! make sure you come back here then and we ll see whos the one that was clueless :)

If mcgregor beats aldo i will be the first in line to give him credit, but if an undertrained gassing mendes can connect as regularly as he did then the undisputed champion and arguably the best pound for pound fighter in the UFC isnt gonna have much trouble in this fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

If mcgregor beats aldo i will be the first in line to give him credit, but if an undertrained gassing mendes can connect as regularly as he did then the undisputed champion and arguably the best pound for pound fighter in the UFC isnt gonna have much trouble in this fight.

If McGregor pulls that showboating nonsense he'll get knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

It's not like they forget how to punch until a couple of months before the fight and learn again during the fight camp. It's more the defensive skills that need sharpening. Offensive striking not so much minor timing improvements from training camp.

• Advertisement

It's not like they forget how to punch until a couple of months before the fight and learn again during the fight camp. It's more the defensive skills that need sharpening. Offensive striking not so much minor timing improvements from training camp.

Im guessing you mean the undertained part of my post..thats a reference to mendes conditioning and clear lack of gas for a championship fight not his technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

clear lack of gas for a championship fight not his technique.

How is the fact that it was a championship fight relevant? It ended in the second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

(Novice)

Gassing aside...how do you rate conors performance against Mendes when compared to previous?

I've always seen conor as sharp and clinical...but i thought he was all over the place against mendes. Especially taking unnecessary shots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I think Conor will want to stand and trade . Pretty one dimensional but very affective with his heavy hands and unique angles.

I think for Aldo to one he will have to mix it up completely to keep Conor guessing. Trade , grabble , wrestle , leg kicks etc .

Anyway i wont get excited until after 6pm when hopefully i have my ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kidswanson

McGregor will be looking to stand and bang, only thing he has though is that straight right, aldos gonna be drilling counters to that all camp, not to mention aldo has a way superior ground game, he may attempt to lay and prey for the first time in a while. Should be an interesting fight, hope Mcgregor wins it even if he is a big mouth twat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Kidswanson wrote: »
    McGregor will be looking to stand and bang, only thing he has though is that straight right, aldos gonna be drilling counters to that all camp, not to mention aldo has a way superior ground game, he may attempt to lay and prey for the first time in a while. Should be an interesting fight, hope Mcgregor wins it even if he is a big mouth twat!

only a guess but i presume you mean straight LEFT.

And he has a lot more than that, it is however his most effective weapon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

It Aldo does indeed concentrate on McGregors right, we will have a new featherweight champion.

akelly02 wrote: »
    only a guess but i presume you mean straight LEFT.

And he has a lot more than that, it is however his most effective weapon

My bad, yes i meant to say left, ty!

Saipanne wrote: »
    It Aldo does indeed concentrate on McGregors right, we will have a new featherweight champion.

:D

My bad, yes i meant to say left, ty!

Everyone knows about the Left straight down the pipe but yet nobody can get out of the way of it, which just shows what you are dealing with here

Everyone knows about the Left straight down the pipe but yet nobody can get out of the way of it, which just shows what you are dealing with here

Perhaps, but aldo's head movement is a notch above connor's previous opponents.
    Who do you reckon has more power? I can see aldo hitting harder on average, but nothing he can throw can match with the sheer power and accuracy conner can throw into his big left.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    How is the fact that it was a championship fight relevant? It ended in the second round.

In terms of the training camp its very relevant, mendes didnt even get enough of a camp for a 3 round fight and was gassing badly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I think Marcus Brimmage might disagree with you on that one...

Perhaps, but aldo's head movement is a notch above connor's previous opponents.
    Who do you reckon has more power? I can see aldo hitting harder on average, but nothing he can throw can match with the sheer power and accuracy conner can throw into his big left.

If Conor goes in with his hands down taking unnecessary shots he will be KOd, and if he acts the eejit i hope that happens.

But overall i think Conor has more power in his hands, aldo fights at a quicker tempo i feel.

Conor 2nd round KO again for me tho, the pressure will be too much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

I think Aldo is faster and has more power than Conor but Conor is way more accurate, which is why he is so dangerous.

• Advertisement

If Conor goes in with his hands down taking unnecessary shots he will be KOd, and if he acts the eejit i hope that happens.
    When has he acted the eijet and messed around?

Mellor wrote: »
    When has he acted the eijet and messed around?

Against Porier and Mendes he was taunting with his hands down shouting ''what you got?'' and the likes. Took 3 or 4 unneccesary punches in the Mendes iirc form solely acting the Bollix.

Against Porier and Mendes he was taunting with his hands down shouting ''what you got?'' and the likes. Took 3 or 4 unneccesary punches in the Mendes iirc form solely acting the Bollix.
    I disagree that's acting the bollox tbh. It's to get him to commit so he can counter. Mendes landing some is hardly an outrage.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I wouldn't call that acting the bollox either. Some fighers and other sports people need to do that to psyche themselves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I disagree that's acting the bollox tbh. It's to get him to commit so he can counter. Mendes landing some is hardly an outrage.

I kind of agree with the other poster a bit when it comes to the Mendes fight.
    Conor came out and seemed hyped up more than usual (which is understandable considering all that happened in the lead up to the fight) and was pretty sloppy at the start of the fight. Yes he wants to counter punch but I think he took some unnecessary risks and if he does that against Aldo he could be in trouble.
    Mendes landing punches is not an outrage as you say. He's a top class fighter. But if your game is to counter-punch then you should be aiming to slip those shots and then land the counter. Just taking them on the chin and ploughing forward is a dangerous game to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I kind of agree with the other poster a bit when it comes to the Mendes fight.
    Conor came out and seemed hyped up more than usual (which is understandable considering all that happened in the lead up to the fight) and was pretty sloppy at the start of the fight. Yes he wants to counter punch but I think he took some unnecessary risks and if he does that against Aldo he could be in trouble.
    Mendes landing punches is not an outrage as you say. He's a top class fighter. But if your game is to counter-punch then you should be aiming to slip those shots and then land the counter. Just taking them on the chin and ploughing forward is a dangerous game to play.

In every fight Conor has fought he has eaten a couple of shots to some degree. His guard is far from perfect but his footwork gets him out of most situations. I think against Mendes he only took one overhand right that might have rocked him, the rest may have looked like clean strikes but Conor is excellent at coming in knowing and when to back off, I think most of Mendes strikes just tagged him as Conor was backing up/leaning his head back, taking the force out of Mendes punches.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Conor came out and seemed hyped up more than usual (which is understandable considering all that happened in the lead up to the fight) and was pretty sloppy at the start of the fight.
    I think the start was a bit frantic. But I wouldn't put it down to messing about. It'd can't sll go perfectly.
    Just taking them on the chin and ploughing forward is a dangerous game to play.
    I would have thought so personally.
    However,
    Conor had clearly moved on from slipping and punching (Buchinger, Brimage), to walking them down and firing down the middle (Porrier, Siver, Mendes). This isn't an accident, he isn't forgetting how to evade and slip. He is changing intentionally. And tbh, I have to at least consider he knows a bit more about striking than I do.

I think the start was a bit frantic. But I wouldn't put it down to messing about. It'd can't sll go perfectly.

However,
    Conor had clearly moved on from slipping and punching (Buchinger, Brimage), to walking them down and firing down the middle (Porrier, Siver, Mendes). This isn't an accident, he isn't forgetting how to evade and slip. He is changing intentionally. And tbh, I have to at least consider he knows a bit more about striking than I do.

I was just so nervous during the fight i didnt want to see any of the hands down eat a few right hands business as i thought Mendes would drop him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

However,

Yep. I agree 100%
    I wouldn't argue against Conors tactics. After all, it's worked for him so far. But from the outside looking in, it seems as though he took too many unnecessary shots in the Mendes fight, including that huge right in the first round. One has to think that if he did that against a high level striker with heavy hands then he would end up on the canvas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

*double post*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement