Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod: Posts deleted and troll banned. Ignore and move on please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

That was amazing.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Yep. I agree 100%
    I wouldn't argue against Conors tactics. After all, it's worked for him so far. But from the outside looking in, it seems as though he took too many unnecessary shots in the Mendes fight, including that huge right in the first round. One has to think that if he did that against a high level striker with heavy hands then he would end up on the canvas.

I was thinking the same thing though after the Brimmage fight. Whatever about Brimmages general skill he hits pretty hard. I thought Chad cracked him 3 times full force too. I don't see anyone at FW being able to trouble him with power.

That said LW is a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kidswanson

I was thinking the same thing though after the Brimmage fight. Whatever about Brimmages general skill he hits pretty hard. I thought Chad cracked him 3 times full force too. I don't see anyone at FW being able to trouble him with power.

That said LW is a different story!

No doubt connor has a good chin on him but eating unnecessary shots alot will do nothing to lengthen his career

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I get that the taunting is a tactic to draw them in but the arseing around against Mendes was too much and Chad took advantage a few times. Needs to tone it down v Aldo, and stop touching his fecking hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Conor is very heavy on his front foot, combine that with Aldo's kicks and it could be a very short fight. Any restriction on Conor's movement will have a huge impact on his abilities as a fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

JJayoo wrote: »
    Conor is very heavy on his front foot, combine that with Aldo's kicks and it could be a very short fight. Any restriction on Conor's movement will have a huge impact on his abilities as a fighter.

This and his front foot also happens to be attached to his dodgy knee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

If mcgregor beats aldo i will be the first in line to give him credit, but if an undertrained gassing mendes can connect as regularly as he did then the undisputed champion and arguably the best pound for pound fighter in the UFC isnt gonna have much trouble in this fight.

Clearly you ve never been kicked in the body or eaten a body shot in ur life if you think it was mendes camp that was the cause of his loss! mcgregor drained the life out of him with body shots had the fight gone the full five rounds the full camp excuse might hold weight but losing inside of 2 rounds? please...

Also what about giving mcgregor some credit? it cuts both ways mcgregor had no time to train for a wrestler and was injured and still took on a complete diff style of opponent on short notice.. yet i dont hear people ranting on about that? tell both sides of the story if ur gonna tell it at all!

Mcgregor will ko aldo he is light years ahead of aldo standing his movement is better his bigger and faster, not to mention aldo fades badly in fights mcgregor hasnt shown any signs of that.

And you say ive no clue.. please lol

Mcgregor via ko and it will be one sided.

This and his front foot also happens to be attached to his dodgy knee.

his heavy handed too his heavy on the front foot because his backing people up, aldos leg kicks wont be as near effective going backwards, aldo will lose and lose badly standing and tahts a fact.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I get that the taunting is a tactic to draw them in but the arseing around against Mendes was too much and Chad took advantage a few times. Needs to tone it down v Aldo, and stop touching his fecking hair.

He did fix his hair alot didn't he!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

evo2000 wrote: »
    his heavy handed too his heavy on the front foot because his backing people up, aldos leg kicks wont be as near effective going backwards, aldo will lose and lose badly standing and tahts a fact.

If Siver can land leg kicks vrs Conor, you better believe Aldo will too. Seriously, we all want Conor to win but you are acting like its a piece of piss gimme fight for Conor. It's not.

If Siver can land leg kicks vrs Conor, you better believe Aldo will too. Seriously, we all want Conor to win but you are acting like its a piece of piss gimme fight for Conor. It's not.

Siver didn't just land them either, he literally kicked the legs out from under Conor a few times.

Aldo is bigger, stronger and faster than Siver too.

Siver landed nothing signifcant on mcgregor leg wise, people here and under the illusion that aldo is gonna uriah faber mcgregor with leg kicks which simply isnt gonna happen i cant see any FW beating mcgregor standing his simply that much better as a striker and has all the physical attributes to go with it.

If aldo cant get this fight to the ground, he will lose by ko mcgregor is simply that much better than him standing.

Siver didn't just land them either, he literally kicked the legs out from under Conor a few times.

Aldo is bigger, stronger and faster than Siver too.

He kicked the legs out from under him once or should i say leg because he kicked when conor was mid way thru a head kick, hardly worth writing home about, clearly its not that easy to land kicks on mcgregor otherwise he d have done it constantly.

And even at that did it slow mcgregor? did it deter him in anyway? did it change the outcome? nope! still kod same as aldo will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Siver landed nothing signifcant on mcgregor leg wise

One of the leg kicks he landed caused McGregor to fall over.

That is definitely significant.

I think McGregor can and will beat Aldo (then be beaten by Frankie), but to think it's an easy fight for him is nonsense.

Have you actually seen any Aldo fights? He's the champion that long for good reasons.

One of the leg kicks he landed caused McGregor to fall over.

That is definitely significant.

I think McGregor can and will beat Aldo (then be beaten by Frankie), but to think it's an easy fight for him is nonsense.

Have you actually seen any Aldo fights? He's the champion that long for good reasons.

1 leg kick while mcgregor was on one leg... i mean come on...

I have seen aldos fights and i see a fighter that is very hitable and that gasses in alot of his fights, if mendes can put hands on aldo for all 5 rounds what do you think mcgregor will do?

I dont see aldo vs mcgregor being competitive at all i reckon mcgregor will ko him easily,

Frankie on the other hand is a much tougher fight tho because of how complete a fighter Frankie is and stylistically is a worse fight for mcgregor because of how he mixes up his game.

Sure we ll see in December who was talking nonsense and who wasnt :)

I think McGregor can and will beat Aldo (then be beaten by Frankie).

You see Frankie's wrasslin being the difference there obviously?
    You think he'd be more effective in causing damage on the ground than Chad or just more effective in transitioning to submission attempts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I think he'll be a bit more active on the ground than Mendes who'd throw one big shot every 45 seconds or so.

I think he'll be far more aggressive in getting repeated takedowns and keeping Conor on the ground as he knows he won't knock him out, unlike Mendes who believed he could get the KO.

Conor is no slouch on the ground, but Frankie is the best in the division.

I think he'll be a bit more active on the ground than Mendes who'd throw one big shot every 45 seconds or so.

I think he'll be far more aggressive in getting repeated takedowns and keeping Conor on the ground as he knows he won't knock him out, unlike Mendes who believed he could get the KO.

Pretty much how I'd see it going too as it goes. Frankie is a ridiculously clever fighter. Chad was a bit gung-ho

Do you think Mcgregors TD defense is as bad as displayed in the mendes fight? or do you think its more attributed to the knee injury and the lack of time to prepare for a wrestler of mendes caliber?

I dont think mendes fight is an accurate test of mcgregors TD defense.

• Advertisement

Aldo fights at a different tempo to anything Conor has fought yet. Faster, more volume and harder to hit, tough chin too. Conor will need to KO him and he may well do it if Aldo gets drawn in but I think Aldo will win.

Aldo fights at a different tempo to anything Conor has fought yet. Faster, more volume and harder to hit, tough chin too. Conor will need to KO him and he may well do it if Aldo gets drawn in but I think Aldo will win.

I think you ve got that backwards lol

You think that Poirier, Siver, half-cooked Mendes etc. fight at the same intensity as Aldo?

Do you think Mcgregors TD defense is as bad as displayed in the mendes fight? or do you think its more attributed to the knee injury and the lack of time to prepare for a wrestler of mendes caliber?

I dont think mendes fight is an accurate test of mcgregors TD defense.

No 8 week camp is gonna make Conor a match for one of the best wrestlers in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Siver landed nothing signifcant on mcgregor leg wise, people here and under the illusion that aldo is gonna uriah faber mcgregor with leg kicks which simply isnt gonna happen i cant see any FW beating mcgregor standing his simply that much better as a striker and has all the physical attributes to go with it.

If aldo cant get this fight to the ground, he will lose by ko mcgregor is simply that much better than him standing.

Literally the first person I have seen mention it in the same breath as this fight

You like facts, a simple one for you. If Siver could land leg kicks then Aldo will most likely land leg kicks.

If Aldo lands leg kicks they will hurt like hell. It is a fact that Aldo is more powerful leg kicker then Siver.

If there is a question mark about McGregors knee, it will be certainly be answered by some leg kicks from Aldo one way or another.

If McGregor stands in front of Aldo the way he did Mendes that would be a very bad idea, can't wait for this one. So many questions will be answered and the hype train will either take a serious derailing or will hit the stratosphere.

Either way should be a war and a deserving Champion will emerge. Either Aldo will continue as the pound for pound best, undisputed champ or Conor will have his two bit belt turned into a real one and become a legitimate champ and right up there on the pound for pound list

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Normally losing to Aldo isn't seen as a big blow, it's pretty much the norm. But for Conor with all the stuff he has said and all the antics he has built himself up for a fall. However there are two factors which I think will help keep his momentum going if he loses, his dodgy knee and the weight cut. If Aldo was to destroy Conor he can simply say that he injured his knee 2 weeks out and that he didn't want to pull out of the fight for the fans etc. 2nd is the weight cut. It has been brought up repeatedly how much he has to cut and how hard it is for his body. If he gets destroyed he can say the cut was too hard, he is too big for division and this would angle him perfectly towards heat with Cowboy etc.

Although I don't like the trash talking I do think that a successful Conor = more opportunities for future Irish fighters and MMA in general in Ireland. If he beats Aldo I could imagine the trash talking would be toned down abit.

I cant wait to come back here after Mcgregor easily beats and ko's aldo and leg kicks werent even an issue because he was backed up constantly its not aldos intensity ye should be focusing on its no1 fights at mcgregors intensity or pace the pressure he brings is ridiculous it makes fighters wilt similar to nick diaz.

Aldo is a battle worn fighter people are saying "If he stands infront of aldo its bad news" Chad mendes stood infront of him for 5 rounds did see this godlike aldo that ye are all raving about he looked very beatable.

It ll be good in December to come back and see what ye have to say then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

How much have you staked on the KO as a matter of interest? Do you give Aldo any chance of escaping the first round, more to the point, will conor allow him to go two or maybe three rounds?

*Also, its not "people" saying, it was me, an individual poster. I will say it again so its clear, if McGregor stands in front of Aldo like he did against Chad it will be bad for him.

I know you are looking forward to coming back in December to see what people have to say about the fight when its over, my only fear is that you won't be back :(

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I cant wait to come back here after Mcgregor easily beats and ko's aldo and leg kicks werent even an issue because he was backed up constantly its not aldos intensity ye should be focusing on its no1 fights at mcgregors intensity or pace the pressure he brings is ridiculous it makes fighters wilt similar to nick diaz.

Aldo is a battle worn fighter people are saying "If he stands infront of aldo its bad news" Chad mendes stood infront of him for 5 rounds did see this godlike aldo that ye are all raving about he looked very beatable.

It ll be good in December to come back and see what ye have to say then! :)

This is all your opinion, stop spouting it like it is fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement