Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Any guesses on McGregor's entrance music? Bit of Rocky Road to Dublin maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

davmol wrote: »
    I dont think people are giving Diego the credit he deserves.He is an agressive fighter and very competent on the ground and stading,people seem to forget the finishes he had in the TUF house-some devastating finishes.

Conor is coming back off a long lay off and Diego is coming off a loss to a very competent Poirier.

The fact that some people are writing off diego so flippintly is shocking.
    Apart from one or two that questioned his cardio, everyone has said its a much tougher fight. It's pretty much unanimous that Duego has better stand up than miller. The 4 posts preceding yours were praising him in every aspect is the game.

I'm not sure why you thing he ye being written off here.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

Some of the hate towards our biggest MMA star to date is madness....

I'm training in a popular place in Melbourne city, new faces walk in every day, get talking to them and they soon realise I'm Irish. A lot of them straight away start to ask about Conor McGregor......they all love him, Aussies, Asians even Scandanavians! They think he's crazy but funny and has great potential

You'd think some of our own would be there to back him and not hope he fails :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Rob01 wrote: »
    Some of the hate towards our biggest MMA star to date is madness....

I'm training in a popular place in Melbourne city, new faces walk in every day, get talking to them and they soon realise I'm Irish. A lot of them straight away start to ask about Conor McGregor......they all love him, Aussies, Asians even Scandanavians! They think he's crazy but funny and has great potential

You'd think some of our own would be there to back him and not hope he fails :confused:

Totally agree with you,seems to be always a few hanging around anything irish with the usual begrudgery.
    What also drives me crazy and i'm looking at you darced who just posted and others,how do you constantly call him Connor?
    His name is Conor i can forgive americans for this mistake,but how does anyone irish continuously do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

monkey8 wrote: »
    ... Gunnar Nelson who is a world class bjj practitioner. (They do takedowns too you know[/!)

Takedowns in BJJ!
    Yeah I reckon darced didn't know that.

I'm not taking anything away from Gunnar, I have a massive opinion of his BJJ. But wrestling isn't just takedowns, and BJJ isn't wrestling. Overlooking because of a solid base in the other would be ridiculous - I don't think Conor is doing that, I'm talking purely about the way you present it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

amkin25 wrote: »
    Totally agree with you,seems to be always a few hanging around anything irish with the usual begrudgery.
    What also drives me crazy and i'm looking at you darced who just posted and others,how do you constantly call him Connor?
    His name is Conor i can forgive americans for this mistake,but how does anyone irish continuously do this?

Wow someone Irish made a spelling error that youd forgive an American for... thats well a bit begrudgery!

Just because Conors Irish isn't a reason to support him if u dont want to. Daniel O Donnell is Irish you dont have to listen to his music, or watch Saoirse Ronan films, Im Irish you dont have to like me post.

Wow someone Irish made a spelling error that youd forgive an American for... thats well a bit begrudgery!

Just because Conors Irish isn't a reason to support him if u dont want to. Daniel O Donnell is Irish you dont have to listen to his music, or watch Saoirse Ronan films, Im Irish you dont have to like me post.

Someone irish should know how to spell Conor,americans use the spelling Connor if you didn't already know,not begrudgery simply because that is how it is spelt in america,in Ireland it is Conor so not a mistake someone irish should make over and over.

As for not liking him,nobody is saying you should like him,you mention Daniel O Donnell,i wouldn't really be a fan of his either,but i am not out there seeking out Daniel 0 Donnell forums and fansites etc to slate him,good luck to him i hope he does well but i don't listen to his music.
    But when you actively seek out forums like this about him,when you don't seem to like him,it smacks of begrudgery to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

As for not liking him,nobody is saying you should like him,you mention Daniel O Donnell,i wouldn't really be a fan of his either,but i am not out there seeking out Daniel 0 Donnell forums and fansites etc to slate him,good luck to him i hope he does well but i don't listen to his music.
    But when you actively seek out forums like this about him,when you don't seem to like him,it smacks of begrudgery to me.

So mma fans can only discuss fighters they like? And if they say anything remotely negative about an Irish fighter it's begrudgery? Sound, glad you cleared that up.

I got a ticket to the event this morning and will of course cheer for Conor on the night, but there are certain aspects of his personality that I dislike. Nothing to do with begrudgery

So mma fans can only discuss fighters they like? And if they say anything remotely negative about an Irish fighter it's begrudgery? Sound, glad you cleared that up.

I got a ticket to the event this morning and will of course cheer for Conor on the night, but there are certain aspects of his personality that I dislike. Nothing to do with begrudgery

Didn't really say that to be fair,there is an mma forum this is a Conor Mcgregor thread,also didn't say you can't say anything negative about him either,can understand he rubs certain people the wrong way for sure.

I just thought some of it or a lot of it smacks of begrudgery,like if you don't like him you don't like him thats fair enough,there is plenty of irish i don't like myself.

But people coming in with he has no ttd no wrestling he is useless never fought a top guy etc etc,if you don't like him say it,don't come in with reasons to bash him for his fighting,he will lose inevitably sometime off course ,but until then he has looked unstoppable his only losses coming when he was just a kid around 20,he started early and is a great prospect so if you like him you should enjoy the ride,if not just admit that you don't like him,but admit he has got some skills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

But people coming in with he has no ttd no wrestling he is useless never fought a top guy etc etc,if you don't like him say it,don't come in with reasons to bash him for his fighting,he will lose inevitably sometime off course ,but until then he has looked unstoppable his only losses coming when he was just a kid around 20,he started early and is a great prospect so if you like him you should enjoy the ride,if not just admit that you don't like him,but admit he has got some skills.

That's fair enough, they are legit reasons for annoyance. I do think people can be far too defensive when anyone says anything remotely critical about him though.

That's fair enough, they are legit reasons for annoyance. I do think people can be far too defensive when anyone says anything remotely critical about him though.

Yeah i hear what your saying,but aside from the trash talk,look what he has done for irish mma not alone his own gym mates,pendred and fields have been around for a few years,ufc never looked this way,now they are both getting their shots at ufc,how much has Conor had to do with that?
    Also there aint a lot of irish people at the minute to shout about out there,in any sports,and i don't remember us have someone with the flair and style he has,so hopefully he can put a decent run of wins together give us something to shout about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Any guesses on McGregor's entrance music? Bit of Rocky Road to Dublin maybe?

A dj named Carl Mc is doing the music for him. So it could be ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Pendred and Fields tried out for The Ultimate Fighter which anyone can try out for and won a fight to get in the house.
    Cathal is the cage warriors welterweight champion so it's a stretch to suggest it has been down to Conor and not their own hard work .

I believe Fields is also a former Cage Contender and Cage Warriors Middleweight Champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm probably alone in this, but I'd favour his chances against Brandao over his chances against Miller despite their rankings. Both have slick submissions, but I consider Miller to be more durable. While his standup is definitely worse than Brandao's, his cardio and chin is better. I would see McGregor picking apart Brandao the same way he was picked apart by Poirier, unless he has improved substantially since that fight. If the fight makes it to round 2, its McGregor's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I believe Fields is also a former Cage Contender and Cage Warriors Middleweight Champion.

Yeah all 3 have held belts in CW. Connor 2 in fact. So I would say its down to their each individual hard work, and also of course their training partners and the legend John Kavanagh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Howshocowpownw

Not good enough TTD imo.

I agree and a poor GG once he's taken there. They will protect him for as long as they can though. Kind of like Bisping, he will can crush but they know the better fighters will murk him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

I agree and a poor GG once he's taken there. They will protect him for as long as they can though. Kind of like Bisping, he will can crush but they know the better fighters will murk him.

Considering McGregor's back hasnt been on the mat since he destroyed Sowinski I'd love to see what people are basing these opinions on :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

merked.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I remember Paul Hill had him on the ground at the Helix and in an awkward neck crank as i remember. However Conor wasnt panicking and i dont think that will change if it happens at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

What's 'TTD'? I presume GG means 'ground game' too. Oh he's got 'game' on the ground alright. John Kavanagh's no college wrestling graduate, but he's one of the top and best MMA/Grappling coaches in the world today. He has a multitude of excellent training partners that are excellent grapplers. Don't presume he has a bad grappling game due to a tendency to stay on the feet. But hey, I guess we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Considering McGregor's back hasnt been on the mat since he destroyed Sowinski I'd love to see what people are basing these opinions on :confused::confused::confused:

Yep. Twas a loooong time ago. And it's not just the TDD. Indirectly his footwork and positioning makes it so that anyone who shoots will likely pay for it. I don't know exactly how good he is off his back, but one can be sure it's a heck of a lot better than 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Gumbi wrote: »
    Yep. Twas a loooong time ago. And it's not just the TDD. Indirectly his footwork and positioning makes it so that anyone who shoots will likely pay for it. I don't know exactly how good he is off his back, but one can be sure it's a heck of a lot better than 4 years ago.

Considering this is MMA and not BJJ you have to look at how well someone is able to get back to their feet too, not just a dangerous guard/half guard.

I don't there there's a FW in the world who won't have trouble keeping conor on his back should he get him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I have rolled with Conor and he has a high level technical ground game. Just because his stand up is so good does not mean his ground game is lacking. I mean he lost by sub 4/5 years ago, completely different fighter and grappling level today.

Getting someone down is one thing , keeping him down is an entirely different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

I'm probably alone in this, but I'd favour his chances against Brandao over his chances against Miller despite their rankings. Both have slick submissions, but I consider Miller to be more durable. While his standup is definitely worse than Brandao's, his cardio and chin is better. I would see McGregor picking apart Brandao the same way he was picked apart by Poirier, unless he has improved substantially since that fight. If the fight makes it to round 2, its McGregor's.

Yep i agree with you, i thought Cole would of posing more of a dilemma with his reach & height. Brandao starts off well in the 1st but if you keep him at a distance and pick him off he will gas out. Its knowing that his cardio isnt the best as he throws a lot of haymakers and swings for the fence. I cant see him changing his approach as he has had succes with it. If McGregor fights clever in the 1st & 2nd he will finish him in the later rounds.

There would of also been more pressure on him against Cole with all the trash talking, now that he's out of the picture he can focus more on his game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Yep i agree with you, i thought Cole would of posing more of a dilemma with his reach & height. Brandao starts off well in the 1st but if you keep him at a distance and pick him off he will gas out. Its knowing that his cardio isnt the best as he throws a lot of haymakers and swings for the fence. I cant see him changing his approach as he has had succes with it. If McGregor fights clever in the 1st & 2nd he will finish him in the later rounds.

There would of also been more pressure on him against Cole with all the trash talking, now that he's out of the picture he can focus more on his game plan.

"SBG don't train game plans..."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

srumball wrote: »
    "SBG don't train game plans..."

They train UFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Oh yeah, forgot Conor's game plan was "To break him in the 1st exchange"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement