Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

There's no doubt Aldo slows in later rounds in his fights, whether by choice or necessity.

It's happened in almost every fight he's had in the UFC. Very notably against Mendes 2, the Zombie(looked like another decision till Jung dislocated his shoulder), Edgar and Hominick.

Interesting to see the scorecards for those as I'm fairly sure from memory he lost rounds in each one.

I don't remember much of the Lamas fight as it was fairly forgettable.

On the point of "pushing the pace", McGregor does do that very effectively whilst standing. The walking you down approach works well for him, be very interesting if Aldo doesn't back up. If Conor does have him backing up the leg kicks become far less effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Im not in the 80% i think aldo will win, the guy is more than leg kicks and hopefully the money will flow onto mcgregor and the odds get juicier on aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Also what everyone else seems to be forgetting which is a pretty huge factor is that thing thats not allowed to be spoken about on boards. My opinion is very strong that is will be a big factor in Aldo's performance levels, and I wouldn't be part of the innocent until proven guilty movement in the case of MMA at all.
    If I read you right ;) Then surely, that's an advantage in Aldo's favour, not the other way around.

Mellor wrote: »
    If I read you right ;) Then surely, that's an advantage in Aldo's favour, not the other way around.

Not sure if you read me right! Im just saying Jose is a very testy toddler when he doesn't have his Tropicana :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I think he means that Aldo will no longer be taking these unspeakable things due to new testing, which is one of the only things pushing me away from putting big money on Aldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

IMO A healthy Conor loses to a healthy Aldo. In this fight we are gonna see an excellent and dangerous striker vs an excellent and dangerous all rounder. Aldo is a better wrestler both in take downs and defense, he has better BBJ and has a load of experience in pacing himself throughout a possible 5 round fight. TKD vs MMA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Ush1 wrote: »
    There's no doubt Aldo slows in later rounds in his fights, whether by choice or necessity.

It's happened in almost every fight he's had in the UFC. Very notably against Mendes 2, the Zombie(looked like another decision till Jung dislocated his shoulder), Edgar and Hominick.

Interesting to see the scorecards for those as I'm fairly sure from memory he lost rounds in each one.

I don't remember much of the Lamas fight as it was fairly forgettable.

On the point of "pushing the pace", McGregor does do that very effectively whilst standing. The walking you down approach works well for him, be very interesting if Aldo doesn't back up. If Conor does have him backing up the leg kicks become far less effective.

I agree man been saying the same thing myself, i think if mcgregor doesnt catch him early with something and ko him it will def happen in the championship rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not sure if you read me right! Im just saying Jose is a very testy toddler when he doesn't have his Tropicana :D

My point was that IF he was a fan of tropicana during previous training camps, I can't see why he's change it now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wish this fight was this week. Not only because i'm looking forward to it, but also because i'm not sure I can deal with three more months of sh*te talk!

#WarMcGregor

JJayoo wrote: »
    IMO A healthy Conor loses to a healthy Aldo. In this fight we are gonna see an excellent and dangerous striker vs an excellent and dangerous all rounder. Aldo is a better wrestler both in take downs and defense, he has better BBJ and has a load of experience in pacing himself throughout a possible 5 round fight. TKD vs MMA

This ^ says it all... you havent a notion man,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

JJayoo wrote: »

Agreed.

I'm waiting for people like Evo to shift the price of Aldo to an even more ludicrous level than it already is.

Agreed.

I'm waiting for people like Evo to shift the price of Aldo to an even more ludicrous level than it already is.

You ll be losing your money then! :) hon the Mcgregor!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

evo2000 wrote: »
    You ll be losing your money then! :) hon the Mcgregor!

I've no issue with losing the money but I sure as fúck can't pass up the price that it will go off at

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

All along I thought that Aldo would smoke McGregor. But as time goes by, I just see a McGregor win. there's something about him and something about this fight. Aldo is beaten mentally already. If he can regain his composure before the fight (No way McGregor will let this happen) then he might (should) win.

But there's a real sense of matador & bull here. McGregor is the matador, skillful and quick and is pulling the strings. He is making moves in order to make the bull do what he had planned all along. The bull is angry and just wants to gore the matador, and this is exactly what the matador wants.

I was waiting for the right moment to lump money on Aldo last time 'round, but after seeing what McGregor did to Mendes (granted Mendes wasn't 100%), i'm not sure about an Aldo win anymore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm fully sure why people say Aldo is beaten mentally or McGregor is in his head.

Aldo is very motivated for this fight

Mellor wrote: »
    My point was that IF he was a fan of tropicana during previous training camps, I can't see why he's change it now

Fair point. After listening to Jeff Novitsky I do feel though that its going to be very hard for anyone to sneak that tropicana through customs. Especially if its got 'bits in it' :pac:
    From what I understand at the moment the UFC is now setting standard on all these processes compared to other sports, cycling excluded.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm fully sure why people say Aldo is beaten mentally or McGregor is in his head.

Aldo is very motivated for this fight

I dont think aldo handles the media obligations that come with fighting mcgregor that coupled with mcgregors antics i think his in aldos head tbh, im sure mcgregor blasting mendes out inside 2 rounds didnt help either considering aldo just had a 5 round struggle with mendes...

evo2000 wrote: »
    I dont think aldo handles the media obligations that come with fighting mcgregor that coupled with mcgregors antics i think his in aldos head tbh, im sure mcgregor blasting mendes out inside 2 rounds didnt help either considering aldo just had a 5 round struggle with mendes...

Mcgregor blasted mendes did he?.. christ on a bike you're getting worse.

Explain how aldo doesnt handle the media obligations...what does that even mean?

Explain how aldo doesnt handle the media obligations...what does that even mean?

Im sorry were we not watching the same mendes fight? in the one i watched mendes held him down landed a good elbow then mcgregor got up and blasted him with a straight left that put him down????

Have you convinced yourself that didnt happen or something?

And you say im getting worse lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He consistently does the minimal amount possible.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    He consistently does the minimal amount possible.

He fulfills his obligations and gets out, Is he required to do more?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Aldo doesn't handle the media very well when he has to go through a translator. There's always a time delay when the translator has to speak and frankly I'm not sure if anyone really listens to the translator either.

That doesn't mean Aldo is mentally beaten though.

From watching his body language when he's doing squares offs or whatever he looks very motivated.

Aldo doesn't handle the media very well when he has to go through a translator. There's always a time delay when the translator has to speak and frankly I'm not sure if anyone really listens to the translator either.

That doesn't mean Aldo is mentally beaten though.

From watching his body language when he's doing squares offs or whatever he looks very motivated.

Motivation can go many different ways. He could end up overworking himself in the gym to the point where he isn’t at peak condition for the fight, he could be so motivated that he gets an adrenaline dump early in the fight, he could be so motivated that he doesn’t stick to his game plan come fight night.

Aldo’s fight experience could mean that he channels the motivation the right way but I don’t think he’s ever faced someone that riles him up as much as McGregor does so I think all bets are off as far as what his response will be. We can each have our opinions on how he will react but no one can know until December 12.

Yeah we won't know exactly til fight night but I would be backing the Champ to channel it the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭OverUnderP4P

Cant get over how people think Mendes battered Conor for nearly @ rounds.
    The likes of TAM and soem other FW fighters keep saying it, as well as people on here . If you look at the fight when Mendes was in Conors guard he landed that one elbow which cut Conor open. But thats it!!!
    Any other shot that Chad wound up Conor did great with avoiding it and controlling chads posture.
    Conor absolutley dominated him.
    It was like a spar when the were standing. He kicked him into submission where he could not hold his hands up anymore and got KO'd.

I think it will be similar with Aldo. He will get get hit hard , and Aldo will come swinging wild and get dropped and pounded out.

I have a feeling Conor might land a spinning back kick flush on Aldo.
    Its inevitable till he KOs someone with one. He was close with Brandoa, and the hook kick was close to taking Poriers head off.

Conor Bless!!

The likes of TAM and soem other FW fighters keep saying it, as well as people on here . If you look at the fight when Mendes was in Conors guard he landed that one elbow which cut Conor open. But thats it!!!
    Any other shot that Chad wound up Conor did great with avoiding it and controlling chads posture.
    Conor absolutley dominated him.
    It was like a spar when the were standing. He kicked him into submission where he could not hold his hands up anymore and got KO'd.

I think it will be similar with Aldo. He will get get hit hard , and Aldo will come swinging wild and get dropped and pounded out.

I have a feeling Conor might land a spinning back kick flush on Aldo.
    Its inevitable till he KOs someone with one. He was close with Brandoa, and the hook kick was close to taking Poriers head off.

Conor Bless!!

Well said! Im baffled by the spin people put on the mendes fight aswell.. i like to call it Gustafsson syndrome where they seem to use a loss as if its a win??

Show me in my post where i said mendes battered conor early.

If we now changing history to where mendes wasnt even competitive at any stage then im going to have to put you on ignore aswell.

Yeah we won't know exactly til fight night but I would be backing the Champ to channel it the right way.

I wouldn’t be as confident in backing him due to past experience. DC explained it very well when discussing the lead up to and night of the Jones fight. He competed all his life, right up to Olympic level, and he said that his dislike for Jones was so strong that he just wasn’t thinking clearly in the lead up and didn’t perform near the level he should/could have on the night. That may be him trying to make excuses but during the lead up I never saw DC act the way he did and how Aldo is acting is very similar over the last few months.

Show me in my post where i said mendes battered conor early.

Changing your story now ? lol go back and read ur own posts.. its pretty much what uve been implying lol

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be as confident in backing him due to past experience. DC explained it very well when discussing the lead up to and night of the Jones fight. He competed all his life, right up to Olympic level, and he said that his dislike for Jones was so strong that he just wasn’t thinking clearly in the lead up and didn’t perform near the level he should/could have on the night. That may be him trying to make excuses but during the lead up I never saw DC act the way he did and how Aldo is acting is very similar over the last few months.

I think the fact that Aldo has been Champ and is used to winning/defending belts separates him slightly from DC but I get what you mean.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement