Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

darced wrote: »

I think by Tropicana they mean steroids not the IV rehydration situation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Aldo looks increibly motivated and scary in the square offs. I honestly don't see him being mentally broken etc. and I've been a McGregor fan for years.

My worry is and its simple; McGregor gets hit a decent bit and aldo is a strong and quick striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I'm sure Aldo is actually delighted with Conor's antics I mean he is in line for a giant payday, and to be fair Conor has been working almost full time to promote the fight thus increasing Aldo's ppv % money. I think the reason he gets so pissed off by Conor when the two are present together is down to the UFC basically allowing Conor to do what he wants, essentially he is being encouraged to piss Aldo off and even though he is the disrespectful one he's also the golden boy.

Slightly off topic, I see where Nate Diaz has called out Cowboy for letting Conor punk him. I would honestly worry for the Diaz brothers mental health if they started a verbal war with Conor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Tinie wrote: »
    Aldo looks increibly motivated and scary in the square offs. I honestly don't see him being mentally broken etc. and I've been a McGregor fan for years.

My worry is and its simple; McGregor gets hit a decent bit and aldo is a strong and quick striker.

I don't think he punches as hard as Mendes and McGregor ate some big shots from him (too many but didn’t hurt him). On the other hand Mendes rocked Aldo several times when they fought.

MMA maths isn’t a science but from this evidence, and Aldo’s lack of finishes since he entered the UFC, striking isn’t a big concern for me. I’d be more worried that Aldo will try to constantly take him down and I expect if he does McGregor will be in a lot more trouble than with Mendes on top of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Tinie wrote: »

Aldo gets hit more, mcgregor is a better striker and has more power.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo likes to trade, McGregor is very accurate, Aldo has more power.

Don't confuse having one big punch with having more power. Or, do.

Conor is a huge featherweight, he is fighting at a weight below himself so you would expect him to have enough power to trouble the featherweights. Aldo is a level above the likes of Edgar and Mendes and a hell of a long way above the rest

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Conor is a huge featherweight, he is fighting at a weight below himself so you would expect him to have enough power to trouble the featherweights. Aldo is a level above the likes of Edgar and Mendes and a hell of a long way above the rest

How d yeah figure aldo has more power and then go on and say conor is a huge FW with power?

Aldo has what one finish in his enitre ufc career? (i dont count the zombie one) meanwhile mcgregor has only went the distance once in his ufc career

Mcgregor has way more ko power than aldo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

evo2000 wrote: »
    How d yeah figure aldo has more power and then go on and say conor is a huge FW with power?

Aldo has what one finish in his enitre ufc career? (i dont count the zombie one) meanwhile mcgregor has only went the distance once in his ufc career

Mcgregor has way more ko power than aldo

Seeing as we are picking and choosing. Conor has only fought two decent fighters in the ufc, a ko of mendes and a ud v Holloway.

Picking apart records is an easy task.

• Advertisement

This makes no sense to me. How are you differentiating one punch power and power?

Throughout his fights Conor has consistently hurt his opponents with an array of different strikes which to me denotes power in general.

Mendes would be someone that I would more classify as someone who has one punch power, where his knock outs tend to come from nowhere and mostly from one type of punch.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Seeing as we are picking and choosing. Conor has only fought two decent fighters in the ufc, a ko of mendes and a ud v Holloway.

Picking apart records is an easy task.

Thats cool but it still doesnt change the fact that he has ko d everyone of his opponents in the first or second round bar one while Aldo only has one finish.

Also dustin poirer is a hell of a fighter aswell

Foxtrol wrote: »
    This makes no sense to me. How are you differentiating one punch power and power?

Throughout his fights Conor has consistently hurt his opponents with an array of different strikes which to me denotes power in general.

Mendes would be someone that I would more classify as someone who has one punch power, where his knock outs tend to come from nowhere and mostly from one type of punch.

Thats what i was trying to figure out, awful lot of experts on here that make some wild claims from the hip...

Thats cool but it still doesnt change the fact that he has ko d everyone of his opponents in the first or second round bar one while Aldo only has one finish.

Also dustin poirer is a hell of a fighter aswell

Dustin is average at best. He couldn't break top 5 and won't break the top 5 at LW.

Conor has a lot of power but to say conor has all ko's , Aldo doesn't , over simplifies the comparison of the two fighters

Dustin is average at best. He couldn't break top 5 and won't break the top 5 at LW.

Conor has a lot of power but to say conor has all ko's , Aldo doesn't , over simplifies the comparison of the two fighters

Well its a fact aldo hasnt been a finisher since the WEC days, he simply doesnt finish fights.

Dustin was top 5 when he lost to Mcgregor you dont get there by being "average" he will be a solid test for duffy.

Well its a fact aldo hasnt been a finisher since the WEC days, he simply doesnt finish fights.

Dustin was top 5 when he lost to Mcgregor you dont get there by being "average" he will be a solid test for duffy.

Aldo has gotten use to the easy way out (at least in his mind) in many of his fights he strolls home after winning the first 3 rounds. Lack of a killer instinct or desire who knows why.

Aldo,Edgar, mendes and now Conor the rest are pretty average or unproven potential

Can you explain why Aldo has struggled to finish some average enough fighters since joining the UFC?

His two finishes so far could also be described as fortuitous.

Can you explain why Aldo has struggled to finish average enough fighters since joining the UFC? His two finishes so far could be described as fortuitous.

Do I look like a mind reader, I didn't know. However it was very obvoius to see he eased off in many of those UFC wins

Do I look like a mind reader, I didn't know. However it was very obvoius to see he eased off in many of those UFC wins

You seemed pretty quick to make an excuse for aldo that he strolls home after the 3rd round for someone thats not a mind reader! he didnt easy off he slowed and faded cause he gassed your making it out like his doing it on purpose.

You seemed pretty quick to make an excuse for aldo that he strolls home after the 3rd round for someone thats not a mind reader! he didnt easy off he slowed and faded cause he gassed your making it out like his doing it on purpose.

And your making out he goes life and death with every opponent

• Advertisement

Aldo has gotten use to the easy way out (at least in his mind) in many of his fights he strolls home after winning the first 3 rounds. Lack of a killer instinct or desire who knows why.

Aldo,Edgar, mendes and now Conor the rest are pretty average or unproven potential

Also thats a pretty big statement to make considering the top 10 of the FW division...

Also thats a pretty big statement to make considering the top 10 of the FW division...

Not at all, when Holloway et al beat an Edgar or mendes etc then we can talk. Until that happens they have potential when it comes to being classed among the best.

Not at all, when Holloway et al beat an Edgar or mendes etc then we can talk. Until that happens they have potential when it comes to being classed among the best.

Cub Swanson ,Dennis bermudez Ricardo Lamas, Zombie, Stephens...

All unproven and average tho i guess... you dont have a clue lad.. the fact you think aldo purposely doesnt finish fights is just the icing on the cake.

And holloway is most certainly proven himself as a solid fighter, if he keeps going the way his going hes not too far off a title shot.

So you disregard McGregor’s power because most of his KO’s have been against ‘average opponents’ yet make excuses for the fact that Aldo has been unable to KO the average opponents he has faced in the UFC. Seems quite hypocritical.

To mix up an old cliché; ‘You can only KO what is put in front of you’ – McGregor has done this for most of his UFC opponents, Aldo has not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Can you explain why Aldo has struggled to finish some average enough fighters since joining the UFC?

To be honest I'm not an expert on the matter but the guys he fought in the UFC don't lose much, let alone get finished.

Only Aldo and McGregor have finished Mendes and McGregor's fight against him will always have an asterisk on due to the short camp for Mendes

Lamas's record in the UFC/WEC is 8-2 with the 2 losses being KO's

Sung Jung Aldo finished

Edgar has never been finished with all 3 if his losses before Aldo being decisions

Out of Florian's 5 losses before Aldo 1 was a submission and the other a TKO

Hominick's 2 losses, out of his 8 UFC/WEC fights, were both submissions.

Cub Swanson ,Dennis bermudez Ricardo Lamas, Zombie, Stephens...

All unproven and average tho i guess... you dont have a clue lad.. the fact you think aldo purposely doesnt finish fights is just the icing on the cake.

And holloway is most certainly proven himself as a solid fighter, if he keeps going the way his going hes not too far off a title shot.

I said unproven or poential but what is typed and what is processed in that crazy little head of yours are constantly two very different things.

Dustin the great lost when he stepped up v cub, cub was mauled by frankie. Fighting is all about levels. If you think a top 5 guy who can go no further is great fighter so be it.

So you disregard McGregor’s power because most of his KO’s have been against ‘average opponents’ yet make excuses for the fact that Aldo has been unable to KO the average opponents he has faced in the UFC. Seems quite hypocritical.

To mix up an old cliché; ‘You can only KO what is put in front of you’ – McGregor has done this for most of his UFC opponents, Aldo has not.

I didn't disregard his power, that you made up.

I said unproven or poential but what is typed and what is processed in that crazy little head of yours are constantly two very different things.

Dustin the great lost when he stepped up v cub, cub was mauled by frankie. Fighting is all about levels. If you think a top 5 guy who can go no further is great fighter so be it.

Hows cub unproven? how is bermudez unproven? how is ricardo lamas who fought for the title unproven?

Your trying to squirm out of it now but you havent a notion ur just typing pure waffle.

I didn't disregard his power, that you made up.

lmao wow.. you just said aldo had more ko power and that mcgregor can only ko "unproven fighters" that is disregarding it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

In JD's Steakhouse in Terenure tonight and McGregor was sitting behind me with his mates. Really nice guy and posed for pics. Did not ask him though, left him to his dinner. Big bandage over his eye.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement