Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

evo2000 wrote: »
    Hows cub unproven? how is bermudez unproven? how is ricardo lamas who fought for the title unproven?

Your trying to squirm out of it now but you havent a notion ur just typing pure waffle.

Christ youre hard work. If they fought and lost against the top guys then they simply are not good enough. If like holloway they haven't fought a top guy and in his case he's still a kid and is getting better all the time = potential

I know I know he fought conor

lmao wow.. you just said aldo had more ko power and that mcgregor can only ko "unproven fighters" that is disregarding it...

Did I?

What you need to wrap your head around is that one points victory over a guy like Edgar is better than 5 ko's of the likes of dustin,siver.

That's not a slight in conor. That is not a slight on conor!! It's one of those thigs you love...a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

evo2000, who do you think is going to win the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Well its a fact aldo hasnt been a finisher since the WEC days, he simply doesnt finish fights.

Dustin was top 5 when he lost to Mcgregor you dont get there by being "average" he will be a solid test for duffy.

He wasn't top 5 actually. Number 5 contender.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

T-K-O wrote: »
    Did I?

What you need to wrap your head around is that one points victory over a guy like Edgar is better than 5 ko's of the likes of dustin,siver.

That's not a slight in conor. That is not a slight on conor!! It's one of those thigs you love...a fact

Thats ur opinion wrong an all as it maybe ur entitled to it.

I believe what you said was anyone that isnt aldo mendes, conor or edgar is average or uproven... honestly that said all i need to know about your knowledge of the sport.

When ur saying guys like cub, lamas, zombie ect ect are average and unproven it says it all really.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    evo2000, who do you think is going to win the fight?

Mcgregor if it stays standing via ko

If aldo can get him down consistently and doesn't gas i can see him grinding out another decision but standing its mcgregors to lose imo.

qwabercd wrote: »
    He wasn't top 5 actually. Number 5 contender.

He was up there either way, and he is far from an average fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Faber actually comes across as a sound skin on the TUF and in interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

This thread is a perfect example of the complete and utter nonsense being spouted about The Aldo/Conor fight.

A lot of people really do not have a clue about this sport. Time to unfollow the thread. Sick of reading the tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Dustin is average at best. He couldn't break top 5 and won't break the top 5 at LW.

Conor has a lot of power but to say conor has all ko's , Aldo doesn't , over simplifies the comparison of the two fighters

What rubbish.

So anyone who's not top 3 is average?

Poirier is a quality fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fair point. After listening to Jeff Novitsky I do feel though that its going to be very hard for anyone to sneak that tropicana through customs. Especially if its got 'bits in it' :pac:
    From what I understand at the moment the UFC is now setting standard on all these processes compared to other sports, cycling excluded.
    Why would he needs to bring it through customs?
    He can just drink it from the fridge in Brazil?

TBH, I don't see how the new standards could have changed anything yet?

Mellor wrote: »
    Why would he needs to bring it through customs?
    He can just drink it from the fridge in Brazil?

TBH, I don't see how the new standards could have changed anything yet?

Well I think your underestimating the new standards and the processes involved. From what I've heard and read, if your drinking juice, even cloudy apple, your getting caught.

The last time he was helping himself from the fridge, he had his mate in the gym, an off duty cop, detain unlawfully the guy sent down to do the random test. Jose disappeared and couldn't be found. They claimed the guy doing the test didn't have his papers, when in fact he did. They wouldn't let him show identification or prove that he had the correct documents. Jose's friend said he was doing it because when he was in the US he had been treated badly by customs, so he decided this is how he would take his revenge.
    Then when Jose finally showed up, he dropped his sample and smashed it. 15 minutes later he was able to take another piss and hand in a new sample.

This happened just when this new testing had started, probably why he was able to get away with such a blatant obstruction of testing. You can be sure they have put in things to stop that happening again. The guy running this program is the guy that caught the following US athletes sipping on their fun size cloudy apple they got with their happy meal, and I think anyone in the UFC who takes the risk will be caught now too:
    Marion Jones, Tim Montgomery,, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Justin Gatlin, Jose Canseco, Floyd Landis, Tyler Hamilton and Lance Armstrong.

Thats ur opinion wrong an all as it maybe ur entitled to it.

I believe what you said was anyone that isnt aldo mendes, conor or edgar is average or uproven... honestly that said all i need to know about your knowledge of the sport.

When ur saying guys like cub, lamas, zombie ect ect are average and unproven it says it all really.

You speak fact but everyone else has an opinion...right.

mdwexford wrote: »
    What rubbish.

Guys who climb into the ring/cage are pretty extraordinary individuals.

Unfortunately the guy I was attempting to discuss the issue with has no idea of context and takes any positive comments not directed at Conor as a slight on him.

However, when comparing the levels.. the guys mentioned are pretty average...average compare to what? Average compared to the 3 guys who pretty much steam rolled the entire division. Conor is now in that elite group.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

What rubbish.

I'd look at it comparitavly, in relation to Aldo, Edgar, McGregor, Mendes Poirier wasn't going to be winning any belts at featherweight soon was/is he? In relation to his competition in the division he is pretty average.

Good fighter? Yeah, but judging him against the top class talent in the division he does not hold up very well imo.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'd look at it comparitavly, in relation to Aldo, Edgar, McGregor, Mendes Poirier is not gonna be winning any belts at featherweight soon is he? In relation to his competition in the division he is pretty average.

Good fighter? Yeah, but judging him against the top class talent in the division he does not hold up very well imo.

I think the definition is a little clouded here.

On a world scale, yes Poirier is quality. World class, even. Would probably take most MMA fighters at his weight in the world.

On a ufc scale, Poirier could probably be classed as average or good.

Would that be fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Unfortunately the guy I was attempting to discuss the issue with has no idea of context and takes any positive comments not directed at Conor as a slight on him.

However, when comparing the levels.. the guys mentioned are pretty average...average compare to what? Average compared to the 3 guys who pretty much steam rolled the entire division. Conor is now in that elite group.
    I'd look at it comparitavly, in relation to Aldo, Edgar, McGregor, Mendes Poirier wasn't going to be winning any belts at featherweight soon was/is he? In relation to his competition in the division he is pretty average.

I guess I have a soft spot for Dustin but I think he's still young enough and he's still improving. The McGregor fight was a bit of a freak clip over the ear and he let the trash talk get to him as well. I think he could do much better if they fight again.

Aside from that he's 5-0 since the Cub fight, I don't think just because you've lost a couple that you've peaked and will never beat a top guy. The Duffy fight will be interesting, personally I think he's going to beat him.

He's also beaten Holloway admittedly early in his career who is now being talked about as a title contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I like Dustin myself, and fully agree with your assessment regarding the McGregor fight, he is by no means old and he may improve as he goes on, but as of right now I don't think the assessment of average in relation to whats above him is that harsh on the evidence at hand.

He has the potential to better himself and get himself up there maybe, but right now he hasn't done it and that's all you can go on when judging the class of the divisions right now.

Holloway is another clearly on an upward trajectory but he has to show it too when he does get his chance in the big fights

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I guess I have a soft spot for Dustin but I think he's still young enough and he's still improving. The McGregor fight was a bit of a freak clip over the ear and he let the trash talk get to him as well. I think he could do much better if they fight again.

Aside from that he's 5-0 since the Cub fight, I don't think just because you've lost a couple that you've peaked and will never beat a top guy. The Duffy fight will be interesting, personally I think he's going to beat him.

He's also beaten Holloway admittedly early in his career who is now being talked about as a title contender.

I think a lot of Irish fans (me included) warmed to Dustin around the Mcgregor fight. My post was not intended to belittle Dustin or anyone else for that matter.

However, there is a clear gulf in class between the champ 1/2/3 and the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think a lot of Irish fans (me included) warmed to Dustin around the Mcgregor fight. My post was not intended to belittle Dustin or anyone else for that matter.

However, there is a clear gulf in class between the champ 1/2/3 and the rest.

Zombie, Florian, Hominick, Lamas would also fall into your average category then and Aldo couldn’t finish them (I don’t count finishing a guy who injuries himself).

Outside of Mendes and Edgar, Aldo has hardly faced a murderer’s row of opponents (apologies to all for the Roganism). You can’t nitpick at the guys Conor has faced and KO’d and ignore this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Zombie, Florian, Hominick, Lamas would also fall into your average category then and Aldo couldn’t finish them (I don’t count finishing a guy who injuries himself).

Outside of Mendes and Edgar, Aldo has hardly faced a murderer’s row of opponents (apologies to all for the Roganism). You can’t nitpick at the guys Conor has faced and KO’d and ignore this.

Is there anyone at FW, in your opinion, that Aldo has failed to fight? Who would fit into this "murderer's row"?

I mean, if not, you can hardly call it a negative on him He has beaten the best guys in the world at the weight.

I believe your exact words were "average and unproven" used to describe anyone that isnt frankie edgar, mendes, aldo or mcgregor,

Again there is nothing average or unproven about fighters like cub swanson, zombie, ricardo lamas, dennis bermudez, Two of which went the distance with aldo and the other 2 were knocking on the door for a title shot for a while,

So stop trying to say im taking things out of contexts when its there a few pages back clear as day, its you that has no idea...about the sport!

I believe your exact words were "average and unproven" used to describe anyone that isnt frankie edgar, mendes, aldo or mcgregor,

Again there is nothing average or unproven about fighters like cub swanson, zombie, ricardo lamas, dennis bermudez, Two of which went the distance with aldo and the other 2 were knocking on the door for a title shot for a while,

So stop trying to say im taking things out of contexts when its there a few pages back clear as day, its you that has no idea...about the sport!

Every post, yawn.

I made my point and it was understood by guys who make a lot more sense than you.

The total disrespect for one of the most dominate champions in the UFC speaks volumes of you and you MMA knowledge

Most of us in here want Conor to KO Aldo but some of us actually recognize how good the champion is. What I find strange, is that you cannot handle a simple comment like that..or then again it's not that strange. There is even a word for that, fanboy.

Anyway, roll on Dec 12th. It's a fantastic card and with any luck Ireland will have an undisputed champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well I think your underestimating the new standards and the processes involved. From what I've heard and read, if your drinking juice, even cloudy apple, your getting caught.
    I think its a bit naive to this that they'll catch every incidence of it with this new regime. They simply are't going to monitor everyone. Even high profile fighters, the champions, will have long enough gaps go that getting away with it possible.

People are still getting popped at an olympic level, who have tighter controls than the UFC.
    This happened just when this new testing had started, probably why he was able to get away with such a blatant obstruction of testing. You can be sure they have put in things to stop that happening again. The guy running this program is the guy that caught the following US athletes sipping on their fun size cloudy apple they got with their happy meal, and I think anyone in the UFC who takes the risk will be caught now too:
    Marion Jones, Tim Montgomery,, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Justin Gatlin, Jose Canseco, Floyd Landis, Tyler Hamilton and Lance Armstrong.
    But look at how long it took to catch some of them, look at the process involved. Floyd and Lance passed multiple tests while on PEDs. Including tests concurrent to actually taking drugs. It wasn't actually a failed test that got Lance caught.

They are doing good work, but we are still a long way of a sitution where PEDs are impossible.
    Saipanne wrote: »
    On a world scale, yes Poirier is quality. World class, even. Would probably take most MMA fighters at his weight in the world.

On a ufc scale, Poirier could probably be classed as average or good.

Would that be fair?

A fighter in the top 15 can't realistically be classed as average even on a UFC level, unless there's fewer than 30 fighters in that division (and all have more than that). Think about what average actually means.
    There are over 100 lightweights signed to the UFC, Poirier is far better than the the overwhelming majority of them.
    An average LW is somebody like Jake Matthews or Vagner Rocha

Foxtrol wrote: »

Yes we know you may have mentioned that before. Sure GSP couldn't finish his dinner, the bum.

Mellor wrote: »

A fighter in the top 15 can't realistically be classed as average even on a UFC level, unless there's fewer than 30 fighters in that division (and all have more than that). Think about what average actually means.
    There are over 100 lightweights signed to the UFC, Poirier is far better than the the overwhelming majority of them.
    An average LW is somebody like Jake Matthews or Vagner Rocha

That makes sense, however I didn't base my comment on the top 100. Most guys do not know the top 100 guys in the division. I was thinking top 10 at the time, either way the poster in question is clutching all because I made a distinction between Mendes/Holloway and the rest of Conor's opponents.

Every post, yawn.

I made my point and it was understood by guys who make a lot more sense than you.

The total disrespect for one of the most dominate champions in the UFC speaks volumes of you and you MMA knowledge

Most of us in here want Conor to KO Aldo but some of us actually recognize how good the champion is. What I find strange, is that you cannot handle a simple comment like that..or then again it's not that strange. There is even a word for that, fanboy.

Anyway, roll on Dec 12th. It's a fantastic card and with any luck Ireland will have an undisputed champion.

When did i disrespect aldo? Theres nothing disrespectful about saying he will get destroyed by mcgregor standing, what do you want me to say he ll do ok but lose? its not the case aldo is a good champion but he will lose to Mcgregor standing and badly thats not disrespectful

Whats disrespectful is saying everyone that isnt aldo mcgregor edgar or mendes is average and unproven again these are the words you used dont know why ur yawning lol talking like uve a clue!

Yes we know you may have mentioned that before. Sure GSP couldn't finish his dinner, the bum.

And yet he was kod by someone that was not in the so called top 3 or 4 elite! Matt serra was only an average unproven bum by ur standards musta shook ur world when he ko d an elite!

• Advertisement

When did i disrespect aldo? Theres nothing disrespectful about saying he will get destroyed by mcgregor standing, what do you want me to say he ll do ok but lose? its not the case aldo is a good champion but he will lose to Mcgregor standing and badly thats not disrespectful

Whats disrespectful is saying everyone that isnt aldo mcgregor edgar or mendes is average and unproven again these are the words you used dont know why ur yawning lol talking like uve a clue!

Well that just sums you up nicely.

If you actually read the post you might have an idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement