Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Is he not in camp yet?

That's different story I suppose.

Nope he isn't as far as I know I'd be expecting him to start fairly soon though. But he was out all last weekend and ended up at a girl I knows birthday party until the early hours, obviously needed to blow off steam considering he's been flat out for most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Is he not in camp yet?

That's different story I suppose.

11 weeks out, most likely not. Generally the fitter, and more in shap somebody stats the shorter camps. 8 is common, Mendes and others have mentioned preferring 6 weeks. Rousey was in Australia doinf media and eating pies 8 week out.
    Some of the bigger guys, who balloon up, Hendriks, Kelvin G, prob need much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

11 weeks out is a long time.

Normally the guys just pick up their training and clean up their diet around 8 weeks out.

The most of the SBG guys train all year around and eat correctly so in that sense they don't really do "camps". Paddy Holohan likes to keep it to around 7 weeks to make sure he peaks around the right time and doest get worn out.

Its very difficult to train intensely while restricting calories, ideally you want to be doing this for a short a time as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

A star is born

vBXRiPN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Lukker- wrote: »
    A star is born

vBXRiPN.jpg

Thought that was Bas Rutten there for a second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Frankie had some nice words about to say about Conor on Chaels podcast. Chaps a Gent.

http://podcastone.com/chaelsonnen

About 30 minutes in.

Look at the numbers of live listeners during each segment of the MMA hour.

http://imgur.com/a/0Lum1

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mellor wrote: »
    Look at the numbers of live listeners during each segment of the MMA hour.

http://imgur.com/a/0Lum1

Da numbers don't lie!

Also, Kimbo's numbers were mostly Conor fans waiting for him to come on. Saying that, was great listening to Kimbo. Jaysus Sonnen ripped Holly a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Da numbers don't lie!

Also, Kimbo's numbers were mostly Conor fans waiting for him to come on. Saying that, was great listening to Kimbo. Jaysus Sonnen ripped Holly a new one.

I completely agree with Sonnen regarding Holms world titles though. Sort of why I think Andy Lees World Title is far more impressive than any of Katie Taylors. The level of participation and competition is much much higher in mens boxing than womens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

People's thoughts on conors claim of a 9 figure contract, claims 100 million plus ?

• Advertisement

dave1982 wrote: »
    People's thoughts on conors claim of a 9 figure contract, claims 100 million plus ?

The UFC don't pay the entire roster $100m combined so no.

I think the PPV on the Aldo fight will determine his next contract, I'd expect close to 1.5m buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

maybe if you add the .000 cents numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Was up 3 hours ago tweeting about it. He sure likes his late nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Lukker- wrote: »
    The UFC don't pay the entire roster $100m combined so no.

I think the PPV on the Aldo fight will determine his next contract, I'd expect close to 1.5m buys.

It wont get close to 1.5 milion and the spoofery is strong but the numbers dont lie...well under a million last time and rousey outsold them in the next PPV. Brock lesnar the only guy that has been able to generate over 1.5 million and lets not pretend conor mcgregor is close to being as well know/popular as brock when he crossed from WWE.

07/11/2015 UFC 189 McGregor vs Mendes 825,000

07/11/2009 UFC 100 Lesnar v. Mir 1,600,000

It wont get close to 1.5 milion and the spoofery is strong but the numbers dont lie...well under a million last time and rousey outsold them in the next PPV. Brock lesnar the only guy that has been able to generate over 1.5 million and lets not pretend conor mcgregor is close to being as well know/popular as brock when he crossed from WWE.

07/11/2015 UFC 189 McGregor vs Mendes 825,000

I think the >1million buys includes people who bought UFC 189 on FightPass/ufc.tv

Lesnar smashed PPVs, breaking the million mark vrs Carwin and Cain. But it's a bit much to say Lesnar generated 1.6 million imo. UFC 100 was bigger than Lesnar alone. GSP was on the card too, and was a huge draw at that time.
    I doubt it'll be topped until next July

There were 3 champions on the UFC 100 card. That hasn't been repeated since, until 194. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If Conor said it then it is 100% true and anyone who questions it is a cnut

JJayoo wrote: »
    If Conor said it then it is 100% true and anyone who questions it is a cnut

And remember 29 cnuts make a sickle. (harry potter jokes on a MMA forum? man I'm lame)

I think the >1million buys includes people who bought UFC 189 on FightPass/ufc.tv

Lesnar smashed PPVs, breaking the million mark vrs Carwin and Cain. But it's a bit much to say Lesnar generated 1.6 million imo. UFC 100 was bigger than Lesnar alone. GSP was on the card too, and was a huge draw at that time.
    I doubt it'll be topped until next July

There were 3 champions on the UFC 100 card. That hasn't been repeated since, until 194. ;)

I think its fair to say that for a couple of years before he had the issues with his illness lesnar was arguably the biggest draw in the UFC and the numbers back this up...7 cards got over 1 million buys and lesnar features on 3 of them. The interim belt means nothing...

11/15/2008 UFC 91 Lesnar v. Couture 1,010,000
    07/03/2010 UFC 116 Lesnar vs. Carwin 1,060,000

I definitely think the Aldo fight coupled with Weidman Rockhold will get over 1.3m PPV buys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Utter scutter.

The only way a fighter starts making that money is if mma goes the way of professional boxing and fighters organising fights themselves between managers and promoters and cut companies like the ufc out of the loop completly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Utter scutter.

The only way a fighter starts making that money is if mma goes the way of professional boxing and fighters organising fights themselves between managers and promoters and cut companies like the ufc out of the loop completly.

If it's a contract for 7/8 fights then it could be 100m+, no way in hell is it 100m per fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

If it's a contract for 7/8 fights then it could be 100m+, no way in hell is it 100m per fight

No way would he get 12-14 million either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Haha even at 7/8:fights it never going to happen for Connors weigh class, sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I would say it won't be just based on fights. Probably factor in some sorts of tie in deals with Reebok, media appearances, tv appearances, merchandise, other documentaries, etc theres a whole host of things they can have drawn up in it.

Both of them are riding eachother for all they can get out of it, good lcuk while it lasts I reckon

gallag wrote: »
    Haha even at 7/8:fights it never going to happen for Connors weigh class, sad but true.

any mma weight class

Nfl quarterbacks in the top earning league earn that over 8 years, and never actually earn the full amount, but a fighter in a company with less income and where 2 loses can ruin his draw power, nobody would be stupid enough to pay that money

I think its fair to say that for a couple of years before he had the issues with his illness lesnar was arguably the biggest draw in the UFC and the numbers back this up...7 cards got over 1 million buys and lesnar features on 3 of them. The interim belt means nothing...

11/15/2008 UFC 91 Lesnar v. Couture 1,010,000
    07/03/2010 UFC 116 Lesnar vs. Carwin 1,060,000

eh? I said Lesnar was a massive draw. I mentionhis 1m+ buys.
    Lesnar smashed PPVs, breaking the million mark vrs Carwin and Cain.

I'm just saying that UFC 100 was a special event that's really in a league of his own. No fighter should be compared to it.

Id say if the UFC makes $20 a pop off the PPV after deductions + a 10m gate they are making 30m off a Conor event. Conor would be negotiating for 10m of that I'm sure at least, probably more.
    If the UFC are trying to tie him up to an 8 fight contract like they did Anderson Silva then the 100m number makes sense. Thats what he's pushing for, Im sure he'll get close enough to that on the final agreement even if he doesn't quite get there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Id say if the UFC makes $20 a pop off the PPV after deductions + a 10m gate they are making 30m off a Conor event. Conor would be negotiating for 10m of that I'm sure at least, probably more.
    If the UFC are trying to tie him up to an 8 fight contract like they did Anderson Silva then the 100m number makes sense. Thats what he's pushing for, Im sure he'll get close enough to that on the final agreement even if he doesn't quite get there

That's assuming he breaks 1 million buys consistently and will remain a big draw/ main event another 8 cards.

• Advertisement

eh? I said Lesnar was a massive draw. I mentionhis 1m+ buys.

I'm just saying that UFC 100 was a special event that's really in a league of his own. No fighter should be compared to it.

In fairness you did...and 100 was an absurd card alright adding in Akiyama crossing over it had so many markets interested. And if 194 does 1.5 i would be very surprised as the ufc market is so diluted at this stage its crazy and the constant spoofing and hype coming from certain camps is just that imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement