Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

They haven't had the opportunity to do so - theres only been a handful of people that do real numbers in the sport. GSP, Lesnar, Chuck/Randy/Tito. Theres only two in the whole sport right now Conor and Ronda. If the opportunity is there it will be taken. Really why else would Viacom be bothered? It looks to me like Bellator lose money right now.

Because Viacom is a huge company with a massive diverse portfolio of investments and Bellator is tiny drop in the ocean. It looks like they currently invest more in a single mid tier movie for paramount or TV show for one of their networks than they do in Bellator in a given year. I would say there’s a fair chance they’re just holding Bellator incase the market for MMA suddenly expands again and at that point they could decide to throw money at it. Right now I don’t see the gain for them to get into a bidding war with the UFC for their biggest talents and there’s definitely no value to them in just signing a McGregor or Rousey, it would need to be a concerted strategy to sign a number of big names.

Given the stagnation of the market and UFC brand recognition so if anything in the short term I think it’s more likely that they’d sell it off than take the risk of pumping the money necessary to compete with the UFC. Just because they’re worth billions of dollars it doesn’t mean they’re going to act like a sheik or a Russian oil tycoon.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Because Viacom is a huge company with a massive diverse portfolio of investments and Bellator is tiny drop in the ocean. It looks like they currently invest more in a single mid tier movie for paramount or TV show for one of their networks than they do in Bellator in a given year. I would say there’s a fair chance they’re just holding Bellator incase the market for MMA suddenly expands again and at that point they could decide to throw money at it. Right now I don’t see the gain for them to get into a bidding war with the UFC for their biggest talents and there’s definitely no value to them in just signing a McGregor or Rousey, it would need to be a concerted strategy to sign a number of big names.

Given the stagnation of the market and UFC brand recognition so if anything in the short term I think it’s more likely that they’d sell it off than take the risk of pumping the money necessary to compete with the UFC. Just because they’re worth billions of dollars it doesn’t mean they’re going to act like a sheik or a Russian oil tycoon.

I dont get your logic. Why would they invest in Bellator in the first place? Not out of the goodness of there heart, but to make money. So let say they are making a loss right now (no PPV $, high base salaries to a few stars), or breaking even and they have the opportunity to sign the biggest guy in the sport, and finally make some money. They are not going to do that and just say meh, we don't care about Bellator and this business we've invested in? They would never have bought bellator if not to take advantage of market opportunities like this, that I say again have not arised before. Also whenever Bellator have had a chance to sign someone they have done -they have a big role in this recent Fedor stuff, Davis, Rampage etc, they will do what they can to make it work.

Mr Stuffins your comparing apples and oranges. You are a direct employee, Conor is an independent contractor.

He should get paid market value for his worth, and if the UFC isn't willing to do that he can go to Bellator. He can specifically quantify how much money he brings in and therefore negotiate off the back of that.
    You guys are all forgetting that the UFC is just a promoter and since they have been paying their top fighters buttons we have just gotten used to that trend. Boxing the promoters are taking between 10-20% of the income, thats the norm for fight promoters, the UFC has just been screwing the living daylights out of everyone paywise for that last decade

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I dont get your logic. Why would they invest in Bellator in the first place? Not out of the goodness of there heart, but to make money. So let say they are making a loss right now (no PPV $, high base salaries to a few stars), or breaking even and they have the opportunity to sign the biggest guy in the sport, and finally make some money. They are not going to do that and just say meh, we don't care about Bellator and this business we've invested in? They would never have bought bellator if not to take advantage of market opportunities like this, that I say again have not arised before. Also whenever Bellator have had a chance to sign someone they have done -they have a big role in this recent Fedor stuff, Davis, Rampage etc, they will do what they can to make it work.

I’ve already explained a reason why they could have invested in Bellator – to get a foot in a market that has the potential to grow. Plenty of big companies do this when they’re getting into new markets and at some point they decide either to pull out or invest more. In this situation we’re not even talking about a new market, it’s a whole new industry for them.

They currently have a low risk, low reward model. You can’t compare Davis or Rampage as they’re on nowhere near Conor/Ronda money and the UFC didn’t really want to keep them (Davis was putting the fans to sleep and Rampage would have been cut if it was purely based on his fights).

If you even look at their portfolio, there are plenty of other investments that they aren’t pumping their considerable wealth into to directly fight the number 1 in the market. The whole Viacom is so big spiel is made up by Dana to play down the monopoly issues, they could invest more money but they aren’t.
    Mr Stuffins your comparing apples and oranges. You are a direct employee, Conor is an independent contractor.

He should get paid market value for his worth, and if the UFC isn't willing to do that he can go to Bellator. He can specifically quantify how much money he brings in and therefore negotiate off the back of that.
    You guys are all forgetting that the UFC is just a promoter and since they have been paying their top fighters buttons we have just gotten used to that trend. Boxing the promoters are taking between 10-20% of the income, thats the norm for fight promoters, the UFC has just been screwing the living daylights out of everyone paywise for that last decade

The problem for Conor is that his market value to Bellator could be considerably less than his market value to the UFC. To use another soccer analogy a Messi signing for a team in the championship is brings different value than if he is signed for a title challenger in the premier league, it would improve their revenues but not by as much as the big team.

Just because he gets 1 million PPV in the UFC does not necessarily translate to anywhere near 1 million PPV for Bellator. Take away the promotional opportunities he receives because he’s in the UFC, the interest generated through fighting the best in the world, how stacked his cards tend to be and his market value plummets. Viacom would have to cover this loss in the hopes his name recognition increases revenues at other events.

In my opinion the only way they go after the likes of a peak level Conor or Ronda on the money they’d be looking for is if they decided to go all in on MMA and tried to overtake the UFC, which would include going after a good number of big names on the UFC roster. It’s stupidity to think you can build a promotion off the back of a single fighter.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I’ve already explained a reason why they could have invested in Bellator – to get a foot in a market that has the potential to grow. Plenty of big companies do this when they’re getting into new markets and at some point they decide either to pull out or invest more. In this situation we’re not even talking about a new market, it’s a whole new industry for them.

They currently have a low risk, low reward model. You can’t compare Davis or Rampage as they’re on nowhere near Conor/Ronda money and the UFC didn’t really want to keep them (Davis was putting the fans to sleep and Rampage would have been cut if it was purely based on his fights).

If you even look at their portfolio, there are plenty of other investments that they aren’t pumping their considerable wealth into to directly fight the number 1 in the market. The whole Viacom is so big spiel is made up by Dana to play down the monopoly issues, they could invest more money but they aren’t.

The problem for Conor is that his market value to Bellator could be considerably less than his market value to the UFC. To use another soccer analogy a Messi signing for a team in the championship is brings different value than if he is signed for a title challenger in the premier league, it would improve their revenues but not by as much as the big team.

Just because he gets 1 million PPV in the UFC does not necessarily translate to anywhere near 1 million PPV for Bellator. Take away the promotional opportunities he receives because he’s in the UFC, the interest generated through fighting the best in the world, how stacked his cards tend to be and his market value plummets. Viacom would have to cover this loss in the hopes his name recognition increases revenues at other events.

In my opinion the only way they go after the likes of a peak level Conor or Ronda on the money they’d be looking for is if they decided to go all in on MMA and tried to overtake the UFC, which would include going after a good number of big names on the UFC roster. It’s stupidity to think you can build a promotion off the back of a single fighter.

Its a good debate but I strongly disagree.

The market is growing clearly worldwide, in the states its dictated by superstars and rises and falls with that and right now its on a big big rise with Ronda and Conor taking it to new levels of popularity and media coverage. The media coverage has grown exponentially in recent years.
    I mentioned Davis and Rampage etc because they were the best that were available and Bellator signed them. They have only had meagre pickings available.
    Also a championship football team has a select bunch of people following them as its a team sport. Its parochial. If Conor went to Bellator and so long as they had a high level opponent they would promote it just as much as the UFC do, it would get just as much media coverage, and fans would tune into to see the fight. They dont tune into the UFC to support the UFC they tune in to see their fighter or watch the best in the world fight eachother. If Bellator can give that platform and back it up with media which they have the ability to do then people will tune in. They had 2.1m people tune in for Ken vs Kimbo, two old men who most people were scoffing at.
    Bellator have the platform, the funds and the leadership to pull it off. Coker did it before. The ONLY thing they don't have is the fighters. A big part of this whole court case the UFC are currently defending because they used techniques to tie everyone up to them.
    If the fighters are available Bellator will sign them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lol all you like but you cant see the woods for the tree. Conor fights = UFC pulling in an extra 15 mil more or less at a minimum,

Earlier he was adding $25m, now its $15m (which is maybe about right, +500buys, and +$5m gate.
    You are really trying to suggest he has a shot at $10m out of that $15m? I’d say he’d need to add double that to get $10m.

But then again, we are shooting in the dark. What if they get $30 per PPV, then it’s a bigger gain.
    Then what about fight pass income. Without all the pieces we can’t say.

The simple fact is he won’t maintain those figure if he doesn’t keep winning.
    So what your saying is all of that money and business Conor is bringing goes to the promoter and none of it goes to the fighter. You wouldn't do too well in a contract negotiation....
    Where did I say Conor gets none of it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Seen he's making a appearance at 2 night clubs next weekend.

The Foundry in waterford and the Savoy in cork. I think its like €18 euros to get while he is there and you are not aloud get near him at all. You have to pay €54 euros !!!!! to get a photo with him now not to be mean €54 euros for a photo is a joke LoL.

So what do people think of him doing this ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

The Foundry in waterford and the Savoy in cork. I think its like €18 euros to get while he is there and you are not aloud get near him at all. You have to pay €54 euros !!!!! to get a photo with him now not to be mean €54 euros for a photo is a joke LoL.

I don't see a problem with him doing it at all, we'd all take a few k to turn up at a niteclub for a couple of hours if we were in his position. He's not forcing anyone to go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

It's good business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

He would be getting an appearance fee from the club and the club would be setting the fees I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I don't know where they'll put him in The Foundry in Waterford if they don't want people to get near him. The place is pretty small with no real private areas.

I thought with the type of money he was making now that this wouldn't even be worth his time. I always associate these type of events with C-listers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Paully D wrote: »
    I don't know where they'll put him in The Foundry in Waterford if they don't want people to get near him. The place is pretty small with no real private areas.

I thought with the type of money he was making now that this wouldn't even be worth his time. I always associate these type of events with C-listers.

D'ya think maybe Conor has a habit of slightly overstating the amount of money he has earned or will earn? The claim he'll make 100million from his next UFC contract for example, is laughable.

He made less than $1million from the last fight, take the tax from that, then the cost of his camp, the cost of renting a stupidly big house in Vegas, the cost of leasing flash cars, the cost of leasing his family flash cars, paying off his parents mortgage on their boom era gated community house in Lucan, etc, etc, etc, and I I'd say he's still got a fair bit in the bank, but I doubt he's anywhere near a €1million.

He'll make millions over his career, he might even make €1 after tax from his next fight, but I'm not surprised he's making hay while the sun shines now as well. For all his confidence he knows it can all go away at any time with an unlucky injury or a few defeats on the bounce.

He owes it to himself to monetise every opportunity he can right now, he's only got a short career.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

No way you'll be able to hire a 3 piece suit in Waterford or cork next weekend!

D'ya think maybe Conor has a habit of slightly overstating the amount of money he has earned or will earn? The claim he'll make 100million from his next UFC contract for example, is laughable.

He made less than $1million from the last fight, take the tax from that, then the cost of his camp, the cost of renting a stupidly big house in Vegas, the cost of leasing flash cars, the cost of leasing his family flash cars, paying off his parents mortgage on their boom era gated community house in Lucan, etc, etc, etc, and I I'd say he's still got a fair bit in the bank, but I doubt he's anywhere near a €1million.

He'll make millions over his career, he might even make €1 after tax from his next fight, but I'm not surprised he's making hay while the sun shines now as well. For all his confidence he knows it can all go away at any time with an unlucky injury or a few defeats on the bounce.

He owes it to himself to monetise every opportunity he can right now, he's only got a short career.

However much he has made to date, he's surely a few levels above doing appearances in shithole nightclubs?

If I were his PR guy, this would be one of the last things I'd be telling him to do. It does the image he has worked so hard to create absolutely no good IMO. It's something I'd expect in 10 years time if he's blown his money away. For now I'd be leaving it to the coke-addled C-listers that usually do this sort of stuff.

The Foundry Waterford, for fuck sake. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Paully D wrote: »
    However much he has made to date, he's surely a few levels above doing appearances in shithole nightclubs?

If I were his PR guy, this would be one of the last things I'd be telling him to do. It does the image he has worked so hard to create absolutely no good IMO. It's something I'd expect in 10 years time if he's blown his money away. For now I'd be leaving it to the coke-addled C-listers that usually do this sort of stuff.

The Foundry Waterford, for fuck sake. :pac:

Maybe he's just using it as a last weekend on the lash before camp? What better way to have a lads weekend away than have a load of gob****es in a rented suits with a man bun pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

ye sure its Conor and not Roxanne... I mean Alex Reid?

He's been there before :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus very small time but each to their own. He probably just does it for a free piss up plus a few grand

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You are way off the mark with your figures, he made 500k just in disclosed fees for the fight. Add in Rebook sponsorship, PPV shares and undisclosed sponsorship deals and he raked it in - in terms of the PPV figures he would have probably pulled in somewhere of at least $1-2m. He has already $1m in disclosed earnings from his UFC fights alone, now add in his earnings from the Notorious documentary and appearances etc and hes got more than a nice bank balance to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He made way more than $1million from that fight imo. Sure he had costs too (im not sure how the tax works). And "gated community", come on it's Dublin, not Malibu :D

Also the ufc paid for the Mac Mansion....

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

I had the good luck to meet with and chat with Conor McGregor yesterday. When he could have just said hi and taken a quick photo he took a few minutes to chat with me.

From what is seen in the media I was already a fan but he really impressed me with how nice he was when it would have been easier for him not to take time.

Whatever he's made from UFC and sponsors he's done it all himself. Credit to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

He's quite tight from what I can gather. Met him a few times at social gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

WarZ wrote: »
    He's quite tight from what I can gather. Met him a few times at social gatherings.

Do tell :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Did he forget to get his round in?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Who?? McGregor????

Are you for real? The guy will be broke within a year of retirement at the rate he is currently going at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

callaway92 wrote: »
    Who?? McGregor????

Are you for real? The guy will be broke within a year of retirement at the rate he is currently going at.

Well he's never chipped in for the bottles of vodka on the bender sessions. He's also been known to leave with a bottle or two unannounced. Lovely gent otherwise though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

• Registered Users Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Well he's never chipped in for the bottles of vodka on the bender sessions. He's also been known to leave with a bottle or two unannounced. Lovely gent otherwise though :)

Ya I know a few that know him well too and they honestly say the complete opposite.

Burning through money like it's nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Saipanne wrote: »

Reeks of Chael not getting enough attention and sitting down for the day thinking of slags. Cmon champ, you're better than this...

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Reeks of Chael not getting enough attention and sitting down for the day thinking of slags. Cmon champ, you're better than this...

Had that post wrote out earlier and boards went weird on me, love chael but it's him trying to stay relevant.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement