Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

In fairness to Conor, AFAIK he's still training, he's not just ****ing around getting pissed and eating steak, he's still going into the gym most days of the week.

Oh I know.

Look its just my opinion but I think the real training has to start now. No more appearing in the Wright venue or any silly stuff.

His ground game needs so much hard dedicated training and take down defence as we seen.

I think there is a feeling of over cockiness
    about this fight( yeah I know this is conor were talking about!) But it seems to be from his fans too.

This is Jose aldo he's fighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Well he has Ryan Hall in in SBG in the next week or two working with the fight team there so that alone will improve his BJJ massively, JK is a great coach but bringing in someone who has a different style with different focuses on controlling from the bottom , escaping from the bottom and and guard passing will mean twice the learning.
    SBG also have a few elite level wrestlers from eastern Europe in house now as well so that will help with learning how to shut down take downs. 6-8 weeks for a camp is grand.

Well he has Ryan Hall in in SBG in the next week or two working with the fight team there so that alone will improve his BJJ massively, JK is a great coach but bringing in someone who has a different style with different focuses on controlling from the bottom , escaping from the bottom and and guard passing will mean twice the learning.
    SBG also have a few elite level wrestlers from eastern Europe in house now as well so that will help with learning how to shut down take downs. 6-8 weeks for a camp is grand.

Ah look I probably have no clue just my opinion.

Just these silly disco appearances seem unnecessary at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

He really should be in the gym, sure he spent weeks doing TUF and not training and also recovering from his injury. Then he comes back to Ireland and is doing club appearances. If he wins this fight he is in for a much bigger payday than a few appearances getting pissed etc. Fair enough he hasn't really had a break in 2 years but he asked for this.

As said above this is Aldo he is fighting, P4P one of the best ever. That alone warrants a longer camp then 8 weeks, even if he prepped for him before Aldo pulled out the last time.

He will also have to travel to Vegas and get used to the heat etc again, that will take a few days at least.

The fight is only getting closer....

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

srumball wrote: »
    He really should be in the gym, sure he spent weeks doing TUF and not training and also recovering from his injury. Then he comes back to Ireland and is doing club appearances. If he wins this fight he is in for a much bigger payday than a few appearances getting pissed etc. Fair enough he hasn't really had a break in 2 years but he asked for this.

As said above this is Aldo he is fighting, P4P one of the best ever. That alone warrants a longer camp then 8 weeks, even if he prepped for him before Aldo pulled out the last time.

He will also have to travel to Vegas and get used to the heat etc again, that will take a few days at least.

The fight is only getting closer....

His instagram videos of him in that buggy were making me really really nervous.

I was thinking 'he's smart but he's rallying around in a god damn death trap 9 weeks out from the biggest fight in his career. Maybe he really has lost the head'

• Advertisement

Their really is a sense of over confidence about this fight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Conor will be appearing in my local teeny bopper nightclub on Friday night, 75euro for a meet and greet pic I believe. There are hardly too many fools who would pay that surely! The entry of 15 euro is bad enough, place is a kip like!

Where is this on?

The reason I ask is that in The Wright Venue on Mon and Tues there's a Q&A with some of the SBG guys that's much better priced
    Want to meet your favourite Irish MMA stars? The Takeover Event 2015 presents Conor McGregor, Gunnar Nelson, Cathal Pendred, Artem Lobov and Coach John Kavanagh for a Q&A session in the Wright Venue.
    Tickets cost €25 for general admission, or €35 for VIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Where is this on?

The reason I ask is that in The Wright Venue on Mon and Tues there's a Q&A with some of the SBG guys that's much better priced

Hes here in The Foundry in Waterford tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

srumball wrote: »
    He really should be in the gym,
    Has he not been in the gym?
    I think there's a lot of assumptions being made here in general.
    He will also have to travel to Vegas and get used to the heat etc again.
    The fight is in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Yeah Waterford tomorrow night & Cork on Saturday I believe, VIP tickets at 50 a pop + 4 quid booking fee are all gone for both it seems.

We all know he'll be at UFC Dublin next Saturday too which SIN Nightclub are advertising an official after party for with the likes of Holohan etc in attendance & possibly some "special guests"
    We all know hes gonna show up at the event to lap up the adulation & try & steal any thunder from a possible Duffy win, if Holohan an the lads win then he'll surely go party after with them.....drinking or not he needs to cop on, Aldo is balls deep in heavy sparring sessions according to reports, McGregor is goin around posing for pics with scaldy heads in rural nightclubs, ridiculous

• Advertisement

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Yeah Waterford tomorrow night & Cork on Saturday I believe, VIP tickets at 50 a pop + 4 quid booking fee are all gone for both it seems.

We all know he'll be at UFC Dublin next Saturday too which SIN Nightclub are advertising an official after party for with the likes of Holohan etc in attendance & possibly some "special guests"
    We all know hes gonna show up at the event to lap up the adulation & try & steal any thunder from a possible Duffy win, if Holohan an the lads win then he'll surely go party after with them.....drinking or not he needs to cop on, Aldo is balls deep in heavy sparring sessions according to reports, McGregor is goin around posing for pics with scaldy heads in rural nightclubs, ridiculous

Jaysis, there's a lot of assuming going on there. Yes he's going to promo's and of course going to appear at the event in his hometown. But don't be going on like the man isn't taking his preparation of Aldo seriously, all of this other stuff is business as usual for him. Without a doubt he will be preparing mentally and physically 100% for Aldo. Thinking anything otherwise is a bit foolish in my humble opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

50e for a meet and greet is better than 75, that was previously mentioned, for the same though.

I'd agree with BigBoss too. These are all night events so he's well able to get a training session in tomorrow, then head down to Waterford and Cork after and take the weekend off.

Even next week he'll still be able to train during the day and attend the events at night.

Feck all assuming really, only assumption is that he'll prob show up to the afterparty at SIN.
    He moaned about all the promo he had to do in the buildup last time around & now here he is 8 weeks out shuttling around the country for nonsense.....talkin big talk about 100 mil contracts but carrying on like a b-list soap star

Feck all assuming really, only assumption is that he'll prob show up to the afterparty at SIN.
    He moaned about all the promo he had to do fight week last time around & now here he is 8 weeks out shuttling around the country for nonsense.....talkin big talk about 100 mil contracts but carrying on like a b-list soap star

Like I said business as usual for him, course he will moan it's a tough job but he will get on with it because that's the game. Don't even know what to say to that last part. Are you actually slagging him because he's attending promo's in his homeland??

Not so much slagging, more annoyed that he seems to be over confident & carrying on socially like this Aldo fight is going to be a walk in the park.
    I went over in July, I'm going again in December & if anything less than God level McGregor shows up I'm gonna feel short changed

It'll only continue to be business as usual for him if he wins, it's 8 weeks out, focus on the task at hand & leave the nightclub PA's to washed up corrie & home & away stars

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Just read a comment on Sherdog that if Conor beats Aldo then it won't be as much of an achievement as if he had fought and beaten 'prime Aldo' apparently.

So we have that excuse to look forward to if he wins. 'Aldo didn't have his mind on the fight because he was planning to retire/move to LW' or such.

Like how Poirier was no good anyway and Chad had a 2 week camp.

There's a bit of a UFC buzz about the place at the moment so this is the time to do that stuff.

Not so much slagging, more annoyed that he seems to be over confident & carrying on socially like this Aldo fight is going to be a walk in the park.
    I went over in July, I'm going again in December & if anything less than God level McGregor shows up I'm gonna feel short changed

It'll only continue to be business as usual for him if he wins, it's 8 weeks out, focus on the task at hand & leave the nightclub PA's to washed up corrie & home & away stars

Fair enough I see where you're coming from now, you want him to be preparing for the fight. I have no doubt he will be in top shape (as much as any fighter can) for the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

He's been in the gym EVERY SINGLE DAY. Stop carrying on assuming you know what you're talking about or presuming he's just pissing about. He's training away quite nicely and is looking fantastic at the minute. I watched him and Gunni, who's been here since last week, spar boxing for about an hour the other day after a pro team session. They looked great, the pair of them.

Sitting around and having a bit of craic by answering some fan's questions and meeting and greeting is a breeze at this stage and doesn't effect his training in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Strider wrote: »
    Just read a comment on Sherdog that if Conor beats Aldo then it won't be as much of an achievement as if he had fought and beaten 'prime Aldo' apparently.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

QT2GXnL.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

He moaned about all the promo he had to do in the buildup last time around & now here he is 8 weeks out shuttling around the country for nonsense.....talkin big talk about 100 mil contracts but carrying on like a b-list soap star

There's a massive difference between doing promo in ****ty nightclubs in Ireland and flying around the world / across America doing promo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

He has to milk it while its hot right now and if idiots pay into a club hes attending

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The people saying he's a clown for doing it would be the same people who, in 20 years time when the money has dried up would call him a nut job for not taking advantage at the time.

On a side note, where are we getting this info from where it's €50+ for a photo? This sounds like bullcrap to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

He is milking it for all he can in fairness, the nightclub appearances maybe show that he is not as confident in achieving his long term goals as we are led to believe he is.

The guy has done remarkably well for himself, he is a self made man in fairness to him, a prime example of how to market yourself and turn it into money.

This latest venture (the nightclub circuit) smacks of someone cashing in whilst the going is good, maybe not certain that his popularity in mainstream will be a high this time next year.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I am a fan, I admire how he has got himself to the forefront in a relatively small period of time but theres still a large degree of the "protect prospect boxer" about him. He has passed every test but there are still question marks. When he stepped up in class he was pushed to the very pin of his collar by a guy who took a fight on 2 weeks notice.

A win over a primed and ready Aldo will put all doubts in my mind to bed though, as to whether McGregor is the real deal though or just another Naseem Hamed.

Naseem Hamed is actually quite a good reference, theres a crossover there. Both naturally very good (although id imagine Conor's work ethic is alot stronger), but both marketed themselves as being the greatest thing since sliced bread, they brought in a new fanbase to their respective sports who really knew damn all about anyone else outside of their man. And on the flipside, people tuned in to see him have his arse handed to him.

Hamed blew away some tomato cans, he also beat some very capable fighters. As has Connor.

Hamed v Barrera was a different story, he met a motivated, high quality, world class operator.

McGregor v Aldo could be the same kinda feel to it, its his acid test.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The people saying he's a clown for doing it would be the same people who, in 20 years time when the money has dried up would call him a nut job for not taking advantage at the time.

On a side note, where are we getting this info from where it's €50+ for a photo? This sounds like bullcrap to me!

I thought the 75e was a bit much so I looked it up and it was 50 for a meet and greet, but these were only a limited number and had already sold out.

The tickets for the regular people to the club specify that McGregor is only doing an appearance only.

http://www.ticketstop.ie/view.php?id=645
    http://www.ticketstop.ie/view.php?id=643
    http://www.ticketstop.ie/view.php?id=642
    http://ticketstop.ie/view.php?id=644

Nightclub appearances are pretty par for the course for famous people, and its good in the wider and overall marketing campaign. Footballers do it all the time, I can remember being in Sao Paolo with Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos doing the same stuff.
    And if your going out for a few drinks with your mates why not get paid to do it while building your fan base. Makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

I love how people reference Mendes lack of preparation time and completely gloss over the fact that McGregor was injured in training, receiving stem cell injections and having a limited camp himself. Along with taking on a completely different opponent on short notice - without needing to - to satisfy us Irish fans who had the trip booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

price690 wrote: »
    He is milking it for all he can in fairness, the nightclub appearances maybe show that he is not as confident in achieving his long term goals as we are led to believe he is.

The guy has done remarkably well for himself, he is a self made man in fairness to him, a prime example of how to market yourself and turn it into money.

This latest venture (the nightclub circuit) smacks of someone cashing in whilst the going is good, maybe not certain that his popularity in mainstream will be a high this time next year.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I am a fan, I admire how he has got himself to the forefront in a relatively small period of time but theres still a large degree of the "protect prospect boxer" about him. He has passed every test but there are still question marks. When he stepped up in class he was pushed to the very pin of his collar by a guy who took a fight on 2 weeks notice.

A win over a primed and ready Aldo will put all doubts in my mind to bed though, as to whether McGregor is the real deal though or just another Naseem Hamed.

Naseem Hamed is actually quite a good reference, theres a crossover there. Both naturally very good (although id imagine Conor's work ethic is alot stronger), but both marketed themselves as being the greatest thing since sliced bread, they brought in a new fanbase to their respective sports who really knew damn all about anyone else outside of their man. And on the flipside, people tuned in to see him have his arse handed to him.

Hamed blew away some tomato cans, he also beat some very capable fighters. As has Connor.

Hamed v Barrera was a different story, he met a motivated, high quality, world class operator.

McGregor v Aldo could be the same kinda feel to it, its his acid test.

Hamed beat plenty of excellent fighters. By the time the Barrera fight came around he had grown bored of boxing, he was something like 40 pounds overweight before he started fight camp and all his trainers knew he was probably going to lose because he didn't seem all that bothered.

Personally, I don't see that with Conor. I don't think he would ever put himself in the cage without having put everything into fight camp. The man lives to fight. When he beat Mendes, even if it was only an interim title, you could see how much it meant to him. To me the comparison between Naseem and Conor is that they employ a similar style of boxing and marketing style. That's it really.

I think a few people are over-reacting to a few paid nightclub appearances. It's a short career ffs. Make hay while the sun shines as they say. Conor could easily do his knee again or have a recurring hand injury that stops him fighting. So many things that can go wrong, often can and do so I say fair ****s to him. If people are stupid enough to pay it then by all means do it.

• Advertisement

tbh 50 euro isn't that bad really

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement