Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Oh yeah, forgot Conor's game plan was "To break him in the 1st exchange"

Or to "Whoop ass and look pretty" and he is already doing one of them so....

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

"Me pal Louis hooks me up"

Some clobber he wears tho have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Read on the mirror yesterday Conor reckons he'll be fighting for the title in either the MGM in Vegas or the Aviva or Croke park

Anyone shed some light on his "time to take out the art timers" and "I punish part timers" tweets

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

dave1982 wrote: »
    Read on the mirror yesterday Conor reckons he'll be fighting for the title in either the MGM in Vegas or the Aviva or Croke park

Conor reckons a lot of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Anyone shed some light on his "time to take out the art timers" and "I punish part timers" tweets

Think it was win the title in Vegas, defend it next in Croker.

Basically his tweets are implying that fighting is his life and every minute of the day he is 'in training' and he's implying that others treat it as a job and therefore don't put everything into it, hence 'part-time'.

• Advertisement

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Think it was win the title in Vegas, defend it next in Croker.

Basically his tweets are implying that fighting is his life and every minute of the day he is 'in training' and he's implying that others treat it as a job and therefore don't put everything into it, hence 'part-time'.

Thanks thought it was a dig at Brando

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Thanks thought it was a dig at Brando

Much worse, it was a dig at everyone! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

monkey8 wrote: »
    How can so many people (even himself) be so confident in him if he hasn't faced the elite competition necessary to judge him on that level?

I don't get this. Is he supposed to go in with a negative attitude? He's worked his bollocks off to get where he is now and have no doubt that he'll continue to do the same.

It's a sport that requires a ton of confidence to do well in it. Look at the countless promos MMA fighters are involved in. You're never gonna hear one of them saying, "actually ya know what. I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose today".

His coaches and gym mates must have total confidence in him otherwise he'd probably told to fúck off and train elsewhere. While he may not have beaten an elite guy, the hype is justified. Here is some guy who gets a FOTN bonus in his UFC debut, beats a pretty decent fighter in Holloway despite an injury and has stayed relevant by trolling the division in his down time.

Rightly or wrongly with what he's said, he's got everyone's attention. You've got the likes of Guida calling him out. If he beats Brandao he's probably got himself some very big fights towards the end of the year leading into next year.

At the end of the day the UFC are in to make money. If you've got this loud mouthed Irish fella making waves in the division he'll sell the fight with ease with minimal effort.

Now whether he deserves a title challenge is probably a step too far about now. All depends on how the fight on July 19th goes.
    I hope he does well as he is irish but the hype is very unnessary at this stage and a case of over eager patriotism.

Over eager patriotism? Try telling that to the ALL AMERICAN BRIAN STANN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Small interview with Conor in Iceland:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Conor actually looks like he's not a bad Irish dancer :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

That_Guy wrote: »
    I don't get this. Is he supposed to go in with a negative attitude? !

There's confidence and then there's arrogance. Conor's been bordering on arrogance for awhile. Spends his career being a big fish in a small pond,He's had two fights in the UFC, gets injured, then spends next year or so ****ting on the guys in the top 10 and the champion of his division.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    There's confidence and then there's arrogance. Conor's been bordering on arrogance for awhile. Spends his career being a big fish in a small pond,He's had two fights in the UFC, gets injured, then spends next year or so ****ting on the guys in the top 10 and the champion of his division.

Making a name for himself. All part of being a pro.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

THE UFC is a business, they are trying to break more into Europe and promote fight pass everywhere right now. Along comes McGregor whos confident/arrogant/cocky and a decent prospect for the division. Hes looking to make a name for himself and make as much cash as he can along the way. The UFC already went down this route before with Bisping, Chael Sonnen and Dan Hardy. They are all people you either love or hate but they all know the job they have to do outside of the ring as well as in it. Conor McGregor is no different, hes no fool he knows that he needs to stir things up as much as possible and get his name everywhere. Damn right hes gonna call out every fighter in the division and stir it up, its exactly what the UFC want him to do too, you dont think this all just comes from him do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Making a name for himself. All part of being a pro.

Being professional is one of the last things you could say about him with some of his talking!

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, I won he goes onto become UFC champion but I find myself cringing at what he says at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Conor's doing a great job in getting himself noticed.

Take Chael Sonnen, he's hardly the best in the world, but very good, a bit like Conor. Chael has TALKED himself into 3 title fights!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

scudzilla wrote: »

Take Chael Sonnen, he's hardly the best in the world, but very good, a bit like Conor. Chael has TALKED himself into 3 title fights!!!!

Chael is one of a kind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Davei141 wrote: »
    Chael is one of a kind though.

Is he? Seems like Conor is making headway of his own with regard to his sh*t talking. He is making good money now I'm sure. Mulyiple high profile sponsors, a steadily growing Twitter following and online presence.

His relevance has only grown since his lay off which is really fantastic for him. Some serious begrudging going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

scudzilla wrote: »

uncle chael second to none
    he's one funny kunt and he's taken fights against the
    very best even at short notice

The Q&A he gave before the first silva fight was hilarious
    and by god he nearly backed it up
    it's a wonder he got out of brazil alive after tuf

if anyone on the forum hasnt seen this then its a must watch
    it'll never be equalled

Gumbi wrote: »
    Is he? Seems like Conor is making headway of his own with regard to his sh*t talking. He is making good money now I'm sure. Mulyiple high profile sponsors, a steadily growing Twitter following and online presence.

His relevance has only grown since his lay off which is really fantastic for him. Some serious begrudging going on here.

Getting seriously fed up of this "begrudging" ****e. If he wasn't Irish those same people defending him would be giving him dogs abuse. People are well entitled to not like his brand of boring crap talk when he is using the same sayings since his second interview, if you heard one interview you have heard them all.

The less said about the Cole Miller interview the better. If anyone who dislikes him is a begrudger then any of his fans are just nuthugging gimps who are blinded by nationalism. See how easy it is to pigeon hole people..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

1958796,pHMv1gcHKLVl+xKKmvFD2nxfmQhXdQMZ8BFBk3Hj2Vx1Em+3vDb9zfon3uv_jNxJfz3ogxTr3jHE26akqhRXcA==.jpg

Mc Gregor ain't comin' in unless he can figure out a safe exchange.

Didnt you hear?...hes not fighting Miller anymore

He knows they'll kill him for the case rather than pay him for it.

He's got to work it out soon before the lrish find him and smother him with love.

So where does he go ?

You go to what you know.

He's SBG. He goes to one of his old safe houses.

No, they're all blown.

Where does he go ?

Hmm ?

Where's he been ? Where's he been ? Where's he been ? Where's he been ?

He made the fake case.

He had the fake case made.

Mc Gregor. He had it made.

He had to had it made.

He didn't have time to have it made.

Unless that Copeland bastid designed it?

He bought something that looked like it, then spray-painted it.

Where did he get the spray ? He never left the gym.

Where did he get the case ?

lt's a case for ice skates.

Why ice skates ?

And why would Mc Gregor know an ice-skate case ?

Because hes training in Iceland

He didn't have time to have it made. The Icelandics made it.

The Icelandics? WTF?.

We're following the wrong people.

We don't have to find Mc Gregor.

We find the Nelson, he will take us to him.

Now wheres this Mjolnir gym damnit.

to be cont.....

mailburner wrote: »
    uncle chael second to none
    he's one funny kunt and he's taken fights against the
    very best even at short notice

The Q&A he gave before the first silva fight was hilarious
    and by god he nearly backed it up
    it's a wonder he got out of brazil alive after tuf

if anyone on the forum hasnt seen this then its a must watch
    it'll never be equalled

I could listen to him being interviewed for hours on end. Such an intelligent and articulate speaker nobody can touch him. People comparing him to Conor make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Getting seriously fed up of this "begrudging" ****e. If he wasn't Irish those same people defending him would be giving him dogs abuse. People are well entitled to not like his brand of boring crap talk when he is using the same sayings since his second interview, if you heard one interview you have heard them all.

The less said about the Cole Miller interview the better. If anyone who dislikes him is a begrudger then any of his fans are just nuthugging gimps who are blinded by nationalism. See how easy it is to pigeon hole people..

That's exactly how I see it

find it all cringeworthy myself
    grand with the mute button pressed

He needs chael to write his lines

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sonnen is the man but his speeches come across written down and rehearsed, still genius but that's how it sounds to me where as Conor opens his mouth and what comes out comes out.

Love him or hate him I wish other fighters would follow his example and be so hungry to become champ of their division.

mailburner wrote: »
    That's exactly how I see it

find it all cringeworthy myself
    grand with the mute button pressed

He needs chael to write his lines

Spot on. See if Chael was still doing his "the Brazilians suck" schtick people would be sick of Chael too, but he manages to stay interesting by changing it up. Can Conor change it up when people get tired of him abusing people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

I could listen to him being interviewed for hours on end. Such an intelligent and articulate speaker nobody can touch him. People comparing him to Conor make me laugh.

I'll never get the chael love in from everyone,while i don't mind the guy for sure the iq of the world population is surely dropping off a cliff,im not saying chael himself is not clever im sure he is a clever guy just people that buy into his act in anyway aren't too sharp.
    Seriously i don't mean to take the p*ss but do people really not see that sonnen rehearses his speeches,and just does a wwe act and it is not in the least bit convincing,fair play to him for getting what he got out his career but this is typical of people reading too much american mma articles or just generally getting brainwashed by american culture.
    Americans absolutely love sonnen,if sonnen was irish or british they would hate the guy,his whole act is a complete show conceived by dana and sonnen,as they know they never could match the pay per views of brock lesnar with black athletes like jones or anderson silva,they need white heros to make a million pay per view sales in america its that simple,and sonnen done a couple of rehearsed speechs,backed up the fact dana was giving him big fights and american joe public bought into it because of a lack of white americans in the game and bang they sold loads of pay per views that is all there is to chael.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

califano wrote: »
    1958796,pHMv1gcHKLVl+xKKmvFD2nxfmQhXdQMZ8BFBk3Hj2Vx1Em+3vDb9zfon3uv_jNxJfz3ogxTr3jHE26akqhRXcA==.jpg

Mc Gregor ain't comin' in unless he can figure out a safe exchange.

Didnt you hear?...hes not fighting Miller anymore

He knows they'll kill him for the case rather than pay him for it.

He's got to work it out soon before the lrish find him and smother him with love.

So where does he go ?

You go to what you know.

He's SBG. He goes to one of his old safe houses.

No, they're all blown.

Where does he go ?

Hmm ?

Where's he been ? Where's he been ? Where's he been ? Where's he been ?

He made the fake case.

He had the fake case made.

Mc Gregor. He had it made.

He had to had it made.

Unless that Copeland bastid designed it?

He bought something that looked like it, then spray-painted it.

Where did he get the spray ? He never left the gym.

Where did he get the case ?

lt's a case for ice skates.

Why ice skates ?

And why would Mc Gregor know an ice-skate case ?

Because hes training in Iceland

He didn't have time to have it made. The Icelandics made it.

The Icelandics? WTF?.

We're following the wrong people.

We don't have to find Mc Gregor.

We find the Nelson, he will take us to him.

Now wheres this Mjolnir gym damnit.

to be cont.....

Its bad that the second I saw the pic I knew what movie it was from .I'm waiting for the next one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Devastator wrote: »
    Being professional is one of the last things you could say about him with some of his talking!

Exactly. He's been in the UFC for two seconds and now he thinks he belongs in the HOF. Outside of Ireland nobody has a reason to buy his rubbish. If he's not careful he's going to end up looking like Phil Baroni or Dan Hardy. Guys who tried to talk their way to prominence and ended up a joke because they couldn't back up their big mouths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Exactly. He's been in the UFC for two seconds and now he thinks he belongs in the HOF. Outside of Ireland nobody has a reason to buy his rubbish. If he's not careful he's going to end up looking like Phil Baroni or Dan Hardy. Guys who tried to talk their way to prominence and ended up a joke because they couldn't back up their big mouths.

So much wrong with this post imo. Do you not realise he is absolutely box office in the US? The majority of people love him there hence why FOX are showing a fight night in Dublin. This would never have happened had he gone down the route of standard yes sir / no sir interviews . By taking the ultra brash , arrogant & cocky route he is making sure he is on the tip of everybody's tongue - that's why he gets called out by every second fighter in his weight class. He has the potential to be one of the biggest stars in the UFC in a time where there is a vacancy to be just that especially without GSP & Anderson Silva there. Everything he has done so far has gotten him to this point so why change his attitude now & possibly fade into irrelevance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement