Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

At the end of the day he can do what he likes and I have no doubt it won't impact his training in any way whatsoever, but the "issues" (wrong phrase) I'd have against McGregor doing nightclub appearances would be more image based. If I were an advisor I'd be telling him that appearances at these type of nightclubs are more suited to C-listers and do the luxury image he has worked so hard to create absolutely no good at all (in my personal opinion).

Also, I'd have thought there just can't be all that much money in it for him?

McGregor has career earnings of ~$1.2m per MMA Manifesto. That's just what he's made from the UFC (show money, win bonuses etc) and doesn't include any possible PPV cut he got from the Mendes fight, endorsement deals, advertising money etc. I know it's all conjecture (without it the forum would be very bare to be honest) but I think it'd be accurate to say anything under €20,000 is relatively short change for Conor these days and that's probably on the lower side of the scale. I've seen the amount/type of people that get in there and it's mainly college students who'll go in absolutely hammered and buy a couple of drinks at the most. I'd be astonished if the club even made that much money in a week let alone in a night so I wouldn't think they're giving him huge money (relatively). Maybe he just wants to use it as a chance to expand his reach further south of the country in places he rarely, if ever gets to but I think there'd be better ways PR-wise.

I could be miles off, who knows. But I think from an image point of view it's not worth it. Best of luck to him though I'm sure we'd all love to have the opportunity to get paid for appearances. If I had a euro for every time I was in that nightclub I'd give Conor a run for his money in the earnings stakes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Paully D wrote: »
    At the end of the day he can do what he likes and I have no doubt it won't impact his training in any way whatsoever, but the "issues" (wrong phrase) I'd have against McGregor doing nightclub appearances would be more image based. If I were an advisor I'd be telling him that appearances at these type of nightclubs are more suited to C-listers and do the luxury image he has worked so hard to create absolutely no good at all (in my personal opinion).

Also, I'd have thought there just can't be all that much money in it for him?

McGregor has career earnings of ~$1.2m per MMA Manifesto. That's just what he's made from the UFC (show money, win bonuses etc) and doesn't include any possible PPV cut he got from the Mendes fight, endorsement deals, advertising money etc. I know it's all conjecture (without it the forum would be very bare to be honest) but I think it'd be accurate to say anything under €20,000 is relatively short change for Conor these days and that's probably on the lower side of the scale. I've seen the amount/type of people that get in there and it's mainly college students who'll go in absolutely hammered and buy a couple of drinks at the most. I'd be astonished if the club even made that much money in a week let alone in a night so I wouldn't think they're giving him huge money (relatively). Maybe he just wants to use it as a chance to expand his reach further south of the country in places he rarely, if ever gets to but I think there'd be better ways PR-wise.

I could be miles off, who knows. But I think from an image point of view it's not worth it. Best of luck to him though I'm sure we'd all love to have the opportunity to get paid for appearances. If I had a euro for every time I was in that nightclub I'd give Conor a run for his money in the earnings stakes :pac:

The event sold out, I'd imagine the clubs can hold at least 500-1000 people? I'd imagine Conor wouldn't bother if it was anything less then €5,000 per night but if they sold out it could be easily more. Not bad for an hours work. It won't affect his image one bit, Conor's brand goes well beyond Ireland and doing a few appearances wll do nothing to hurt his global appeal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

he hasn't mentioned it on his twitter anyway :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Nightclub appearances are pretty par for the course for famous people, and its good in the wider and overall marketing campaign. Footballers do it all the time, I can remember being in Sao Paolo with Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos doing the same stuff.
    And if your going out for a few drinks with your mates why not get paid to do it while building your fan base. Makes sense!

There's no way he's drinking this close to the fight.

If he is its the height of stupidity.

But I doubt it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Waterford doesn't have fancy enough whiskey for him either :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

CatFromHue wrote: »

Oi! Downses Number 9 would put most whiskeys to shame :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

CatFromHue wrote: »

Not so sure about that. Midleton is a short drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

There's a Conor McGregor impersonator on the Niall Boylan show right now on 4fm. Someone should ring in the catch him out. 3 have already rang in their element thinking it's him! Lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    There's a Conor McGregor impersonator on the Niall Boylan show right now on 4fm. Someone should ring in the catch him out. 3 have already rang in their element thinking it's him! Lol

Barely even sounds like him, the laugh is the only the good part. The two presenting it are adding to the charade.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Tinie wrote: »
    Barely even sounds like him. The two presenting it are adding to the charade.

I know, very funny though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Aldo is balls deep in heavy sparring sessions according to reports
    balls deep in heavy sparring for extended periods, how's that worked out for him?
    price690 wrote: »
    The guy has done remarkably well for himself, he is a self made man in fairness to him...
    Poor choice of words, just saying...

fPP1zA3.jpg

Only pointing this out as I feel its a great quote. It's an amazing perspective to have, and one that countless "greats" have missed. But undoubtedly it will go over the heada of the anti brigade, who'll insist he's the most arrogant, cockiest fighter ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Martial9

price690 wrote: »
    Hamed v Barrera was a different story, he met a motivated, high quality, world class operator.

McGregor v Aldo could be the same kinda feel to it, its his acid test.

Two months before the fight Naseem was 35 pounds overweight, he suffered extreme homesickness when in camp, his head wasn't really in the game anymore and his preparation for the fight was utterly woeful. He was trying to lose the extra weight he put on right up until fight night, shadowboxing in saunas and running on the treadmill at 5am the day of the weigh in.

The complete opposite of McGregor who is entirely focused, in great shape and training brilliantly by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Mellor wrote: »
    Only pointing this out as I feel its a great quote. It's an amazing perspective to have, and one that countless "greats" have missed. But undoubtedly it will go over the heada of the anti brigade, who'll insist he's the most arrogant, cockiest fighter ever.

Nice insightful quote < All the other insulting immature crap he comes out with practically every time he opens his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

eUBNV1u.png

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    eUBNV1u.png

Fair play to him.

I feel like such a tit for saying he shouldn't do it for image reasons now :( :pac:

Well done to him. An unbelievably kind gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Paully D wrote: »
    I feel like such a tit for saying he shouldn't do it for image reasons now :( :pac:

Well done to him. An unbelievably kind gesture.

At least you're man enough to admit that Paulie, there are others who have spoken out against it who I'm sure will stay silent now. I'm not particularly pointing at people on this page, just his detractors in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

That's a really smart move, Money alone can only do so much but his name can draw a lot of attention to these excellent causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Fair play to him, a great gesture to a worthy cause

fair play indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    eUBNV1u.png

Fair play to him.

Just read this on Facebook myself.

Say some of you feel pretty stupid about now.

Commenting on his training and lifestyle when none of you have any idea what he's doing. You think he should train 14 hours a day and not see the light of day.
    He knows exactly what he's doing and Aldo is no role model to be basing your training on when his injury rate is so high.

Doing these appearances and donating the money is a very classy move.

Hero.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Only doing it now because negative publicty was gettibg about
    It was a money making thing before that

sasta le wrote: »
    Yeah of course, he decided to give €50k away because he was critised on here.
    Sounds legit.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Nice insightful quote < All the other insulting immature crap he comes out with practically every time he opens his mouth.
    To me the big difference between the two is one is the real Conor. The other is McGregor the fight promoter. People often don't draw a line between the two. There's no way he actually thinks/believes everything he says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

QUICK!!! There's 1 or 2 straws left for you to clutch at!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Fair play to him. Great gesture.

Alot of the negative comments were deleted from the facebook events.Why wasnt it called a charity fundraiser event from the start?Im not blaming mcgregor because theres an event promoter involves in the 2 nightclub ones

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus. Take off the tinfoil hat buddy.

Its a great gesture im sure he realised he wasnt going down well again not his fault it was the event company.But the event when anoucned over 2weeks ago wasnt a charity event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Fair play to him good cause.

Doesn't change my opinion that I think his focus should be training and fight right now.

Yeah I'll get slated but its my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Fair play to him good cause.

Doesn't change my opinion that I think his focus should be training and fight right now.

Yeah I'll get slated but its my opinion.

I don't understand why people think he can't do both?

"Did you hear Conor McGregor was seen eating in a restaurant?"

-"What? Shouldn't he be training? Surely he should be training all the time and when he's finished training he should be training more and when he goes to sleep at night he should actually be training?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement