Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

jeepers101 wrote: »
    How can you say that when you don't even know what kind of sauce he put on it?

I heard him asking for lemon and herb with an extra hot flag...

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

I heard him asking for lemon and herb with an extra hot flag...

Photo please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

loremolis wrote: »
    How much of a difference would it really make?

He's ridiculously fit so, apart from having to watch his weight cut, what harm would nandos chicken fo?

You obviously missed this thread a few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You obviously missed this thread a few weeks back

I've read it but don't believe most of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

From Norman Parke's FB
    So fight night I weighed 167lbs, probably the lightest iv ever been for any of my fights with my heaviest being 175lbs, I weighed in 156lbs so put on 11lbs after weigh ins. Didn't ever feel over powered at LW but thinking I could make FW now. I know Some FWs that come back in at 170

Wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CatFromHue wrote: »
    From Norman Parke's FB
    Wow!
    What part is the "wow" for?

11 lbs is a fairly mild cut.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

the rehydrating to 175 and then thinking about making the cut to 145 is a wow!

He rehydrated to 167lbs on saturday. 175 was probably ages ago, he won't get near that at FW.

He needs to be wary comparing pre and post IV ban cuts imo. They have definitely guys at FW and LW cutting 20lbs in the past. But no point comparing to them if they can't do it now without an IV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Mcgregors doing that... and is shorter than parke and he looks like death warmed up at weigh ins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

When are the new rules in for Ivs?

Will conor have to dimwit differently for the aldo fight?

Thought I heard October.

• Advertisement

JustTheOne wrote: »
    When are the new rules in for Ivs?

Will conor have to dimwit differently for the aldo fight?

Thought I heard October.

Yeah october. The ban is in place now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

So if a fighter does use IVs and gets caught what realistically will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

JJayoo wrote: »

I'd imagine it'll be a fine for a first offence and bans for subsequent offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It'd be severe I'd imagine. USADA consider it a masking agent for blood doping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Lost my **** after the cookies.

If tester walk in and see them with an IV in their arm, they'll have to pull the fight. If it turns up in a post fight test then they'll have to treat it like any other in-comp violation. First offense is 12-months. Maybe 6-9 months in certain circustances.

But I've said before, that I don't think that they have a reliable test for IV use.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    It'd be severe I'd imagine. USADA consider it a masking agent for blood doping.

Not quite a masking agent, but actually used in blood doping. As in high levels of plastic in the blood indicate that some of your blood was stored in IV bags at some point. At least that was their allegation with Contador.

By removing the IV bags they are removing a potential plausible excuse.

Mellor wrote: »
    If tester walk in and see them with an IV in their arm, they'll have to pull the fight. If it turns up in a post fight test then they'll have to treat it like any other in-comp violation. First offense is 12-months. Maybe 6-9 months in certain circustances.

But I've said before, that I don't think that they have a reliable test for IV use.

Not quite a masking agent, but actually used in blood doping. As in high levels of plastic in the blood indicate that some of your blood was stored in IV bags at some point. At least that was their allegation with Contador.

By removing the IV bags they are removing a potential plausible excuse.

Afaik, it can also be used to pump clean blood back in so it dilutes any substances down to acceptable levels. I'd be surprised if MMA fighters were using such advanced doping techniques though.

Afaik, it can also be used to pump clean blood back in so it dilutes any substances down to acceptable levels. I'd be surprised if MMA fighters were using such advanced doping techniques though.

I've heard that suggested too, but it doesn't really make sense. Afaik, blood tests are for substances that don't have on acceptable levels. eg The HGH test looks for exogenous HGH (originated outside their body), and amount detected is a fail. Unlike say, marijuana levels in urine, where there is a acceptable range.

That was the whole fiasco with Cung Le. He tested for high HGH, but that alone proves nothing so the ban was overturned. THe lab did the wrong test and tossed the B sample.

I've heard that suggested too, but it doesn't really make sense. Afaik, blood tests are for substances that don't have on acceptable levels. eg The HGH test looks for exogenous HGH (originated outside their body), and amount detected is a fail. Unlike say, marijuana levels in urine, where there is a acceptable range.

That was the whole fiasco with Cung Le. He tested for high HGH, but that alone proves nothing so the ban was overturned. THe lab did the wrong test and tossed the B sample.

HGH yes but stuff like testosterone it could definitely dilute, Jon Jones springs to mind, one of his blood tests had his testosterone levels the same as a little girls.

HGH yes but stuff like testosterone it could definitely dilute, Jon Jones springs to mind, one of his blood tests had his testosterone levels the same as a little girls.
    Testosterone is a urine test, not blood.
    But it's still the same principle. They don't test for high/low levels. They test T/E ratio and for exogenous testosterone. Diluting the sample to a normal range won't mask that.

As for Jones, his test levels and T/E ratio were extremely low. But they proved it was natural. It's pretty common for level to dip like that during camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What exactly is IV and how does it work? It's some form of drip thing used in dehydration isn't it? After that I'm lost.

BOHtox wrote: »
    What exactly is IV and how does it work? It's some form of drip thing used in dehydration isn't it? After that I'm lost.
    That's essentially all it is. An IV bag is just another name for a drip. It's used in MMA, as simply a fast way to rehydrate after dehydrating for the weigh-in. Fighters hook up a basic saline drip/IV to replace lost fluids.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

cung-le-jacked-photo.jpg

Seeing the way he looked as a 42 year old in the build up for that fight, that B sample probably melted the test-tube!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

That's essentially all it is. An IV bag is just another name for a drip. It's used in MMA, as simply a fast way to rehydrate after dehydrating for the weigh-in. Fighters hook up a basic saline drip/IV to replace lost fluids.

What does it pump in? Vitamins or blood or water? How can plastic end up in the blood too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I've heard that suggested too, but it doesn't really make sense.

I'm not sure about the diluting side of things but I was told many years ago that cyclists basically would take 1-2 pints(whatever they could manage) of good healthy blood out of their system when they felt at a peak in their physical condition and store the blood. Whenever it came around to a big race(eg tour de france) or when they were not feeling in good condition, they would cycle(boom boom!) some blood out of their body and replace it with their peak conditioned blood.

Yeah that's what the cyclists used to do.

It wasn't about diluting but about giving them a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I am not an expert in this matter but according to the movie "The Program" :)

The IV's were often used to dilute the blood. So when a red blood count test was performed the extra red cells produced from taking EPO were not obvious and the red blood cell count would appear to be in normal levels.

Cyclists did a whole bunch of other stuff also, such as taking blood out and putting it back in before certain races or stages. Along with other PEDs.

The IV (intravenous) ban is aimed at stopping people from cutting crazy amounts of weight and also to prevent EPO users using IV's to hide their PED usage.

Lost my **** after the cookies.

that's quite good
    all types of movement, bowel movement, tectonic movement

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The IV (intravenous) ban is aimed at stopping people from cutting crazy amounts of weight and also to prevent EPO users using IV's to hide their PED usage.

No it isn't. It has nothing to do with weight cutting and everything to do with masking PED's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

No it isn't. It has nothing to do with weight cutting and everything to do with masking PED's.

I am pretty sure they are both factors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement