Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I dunno i doubt the ban has anything to do with weight cutting, its not like the ufc just decided one day to add Ivs to its banned list its because they took on the USADA/WADA to oversee antidoping and adopted their rules and regulations, which has had IVs banned as a masking agent for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I am sure IV's acting as mask to possible doping is a major factor, and I am sure it came as a recommendation from WADA etc.

There has also been some noise now about the amount of weight fighters are cutting. Some fighters and coaches asking for a maximum weight limit for "off season" to be introduced.

More frequently than ever we hearing of fighters having accidents or health issues and pulling out of fights due to complications from weight cutting.

Not having IV's as an additional rehydration source will act as a deterrent to any intelligent fighter when considering how much weight they could cut, and as a result you will see more fighters imo move up in weight class or loose substantial amounts of muscle mass.

Oh yeah its definitely gunna force guys up theres no doubt about that, but at the same time a lot of fighters who dont act too intelligent when it comes to weight cutting so the big weight cut wont be going completely, lot of guys withe the so called 'wrestler' (stupid) mentality will still cut the same huge amounts of weight. My point was just based on what Jeff Novitsky said when he was on rogans podcast that the Iv ban was introduced solely to come in line with USADA policies, as in they didnt just introduce an 'iv ban' they adopted the USADA regulations, which prohibit Ivs as standard. anyway if anyone knows better ill happily admit it as my knowledge on the subject isnt great I;m just going on what Novitsky outlined. Agree 100% with the last bit though anyone with half a brain who has a big cut will definitely move up, the damage done by trauma to a dehdrated brain is terrifying!

This article explains how they test aswel for anyone that was wondering
    http://mmajunkie.com/2015/07/for-ufc-fighters-the-ban-on-iv-use-is-coming-but-will-it-matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Big question is how will it effect conor and aldo?

didnt aldo comeout and say he was going to use one anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Big question is how will it effect conor and aldo?

Not really a big question Conor has said he's not fond of the cut and will move up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Depp wrote: »
    didnt aldo comeout and say he was going to use one anyway?

Yeah, then back tracked fairly quick and gave the usual saying he was miss translated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The IV ban is because it was in USADA's (WADA's) rules (to stop people masking PED's). USADA had absolutely no clue about UFC fighters cutting so much weight and using IV's to re-hydrate, they even said as much when interviewed. The 2 are completely unrelated.

Not having IV's just means fighters will potentially fight more dehydrated. It most certainly is not a pro-safety rule.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ASOT wrote: »
    Yeah, then back tracked fairly quick and gave the usual saying he was miss translated.

Jeff Novitsky on the Joe Rogan podcast said he spoke to Aldo after he made that comment and that Aldo is now happy to comply with the rules.

Ha I don't know how he could say he was mistranslated without giggling either :D

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Not really a big question Conor has said he's not fond of the cut and will move up.

I mean for the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BOHtox wrote: »
    What does it pump in? Vitamins or blood or water? How can plastic end up in the blood too?

In MMA, after a weight cut. They pump in a rehydration fluid. At a basic level that's saline (water and salt). A more complete fluid might also have glucose, vitamin c.

Trace elements of plastic from the IV bag. Really tiny amounts. It's been suggest that it prove the use of IV bags, but its not really a verified method at this stage.
    Devastator wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the diluting side of things but I was told many years ago that cyclists basically would take 1-2 pints(whatever they could manage) of good healthy blood out of their system when they felt at a peak in their physical condition and store the blood. Whenever it came around to a big race(eg tour de france) or when they were not feeling in good condition, they would cycle(boom boom!) some blood out of their body and replace it with their peak conditioned blood.
    That's essentially what blood doping is.

Remove 1-4 pints of blood. Spin it in a centrefuge to separate the red cells and plasma. Put the plasma back in immediately. Store the red cells. The body will regenerate cells in the mean time. A few days out from the event, put the stored red blood cells back in for oxygen boosted blood.

It's basically a self donation. No PEDs required. No other subtances. The only evidence of it is the raised blood cell count. Which they track that now.
    I am sure IV's acting as mask to possible doping is a major factor, and I am sure it came as a recommendation from WADA etc.

There has also been some noise now about the amount of weight fighters are cutting. Some fighters and coaches asking for a maximum weight limit for "off season" to be introduced.

I think what Depp and Davei141 are saying is it right. The ban came about as a by-product of moving to USADA testing. Where they've been banned since early 2000s. That was a move purely on PED grounds. I don't think they even realized it affect weight cutting until afterwards.

Severe weight cuts were definitely a talking point, and many welcome the ban for those reason. But I don't think it actually influenced the decesion to move to WADA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Is blood spinning legal in the UFC to treat injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lukker- wrote: »
    Is blood spinning legal in the UFC to treat injuries?
    It's not banned by WADA. As some blood is taken out, but only the platelet rich plasma is injected to the injury site.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/questions-answers/prohibited-list#item-380

However, if the discarded red blood cells were transfused back in, that would probably be illegal under
    The Administration or reintroduction of any quantity of autologous, allogenic (homologous) or heterologous blood or red blood cell products of any origin into the circulatory system.

http://list.wada-ama.org/list/m1-enhancement-of-oxygen-transfer/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Davei141 wrote: »
    Not having IV's just means fighters will potentially fight more dehydrated. It most certainly is not a pro-safety rule.

Potentially that is true, but more likely fighters will not cut so much so will actually be safer, the main danger is while dehydrated on weigh in day tbh.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

The main danger is being dehydrated on fight Night. Dehydration means less fluid to protect the brain which is very dangerous when someone is taking repeated blows to the head.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    The main danger is being dehydrated on fight Night. Dehydration means less fluid to protect the brain which is very dangerous when someone is taking repeated blows to the head.

IV's don't rehydrate the brain any faster then drinking water. It takes a few days for the brain fully to hyrdrate after a massive cut. Fighters with big cuts are risking brain injury with or without IV's.

IV's are just more convenient. It isn't more effective then just drinking water, but people are usually fairly exhausted after a big cut and would prefer to rest rather then stay awake for a good few hours sipping water until they get all their water weight back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

This is not going to end well. Conor responds to recent criticism about wearing the poppy.
    (Can be seen as he comments on the Norman Parke fight v John Tuck)

"I know where my allegiance lies and what I do for my country.
    I don't need a stupid little flower with a 100 different meanings to tell me if I do or do not represent my country.
    Check the facts of its original meaning.
    ALL soldiers. ALL wars.
    I have the blood of many nations on my gloves. Fought and beat on the world stage.
    You have a pint in your hand and a Celtic jersey on in your local. **** you and the Queen."

https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1154813871253577

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

This is not going to end well. Conor responds to recent criticism about wearing the poppy.
    (Can be seen as he comments on the Norman Parke fight v John Tuck)

"I know where my allegiance lies and what I do for my country.
    I don't need a stupid little flower with a 100 different meanings to tell me if I do or do not represent my country.
    Check the facts of its original meaning.
    ALL soldiers. ALL wars.
    I have the blood of many nations on my gloves. Fought and beat on the world stage.
    You have a pint in your hand and a Celtic jersey on in your local. **** you and the Queen."

https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1154813871253577

Lol o Lordy Conor had a few hot whiskeys tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

sjb25 wrote: »
    Lol o Lordy Conor had a few hot whiskeys tonight

Wow the replies to that are insane.

More replies in 15 minutes than his last three posts combined.

He'll have to chalk this one up to a learning experience. Might be best to just delete that one.. Not sure if that's in him to do that though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hmmm it looked like we were going get by without any controversy over the poppy this year!

Who was winding him up about it? I've no idea of the context on this!

Silly. Gonna cause a ****storm leading up to the fight.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Hmmm it looked like we were going get by without any controversy over the poppy this year!

Who was winding him up about it? I've no idea of the context on this!

Apparently he was pictured wearing a poppy at someting on some ra heads are a abuseing him over it hence the bit saying sit in the pub with your Celtic Jersey so he is saying fcuk the ra heads but also fcuk the queen I think so basically fcuk both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

Am I reading this wrong, is he slagging people wearing celtic jerseys as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

john why wrote: »
    Am I reading this wrong, is he slagging people wearing celtic jerseys as well?

Yes reading the comments this is who he is replying to again I think

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

sjb25 wrote: »
    Yes reading the comments this is who he is replying to again I think

I see thanks. Did he say this in a random FB post or in a intview .

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He can't hide it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

walshb wrote: »
    He can't hide it.....

hide what?

• Advertisement

john why wrote: »
    I see thanks. Did he say this in a random FB post or in a intview .

I seen it here first but it's a post on his Facebook page with an almighty sh1t storm in the comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement