Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

So in other words, he is saying he's Irish (obviously) but F the Republicans and F the British empire? Yet he worn the poppy and maintains it reperesents all men lost at war?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Paully D wrote: »
    I think the point of his message is pretty clear.

Some people are having a go at him and criticising his alligence to the Republic of Ireland because he wore the poppy and he feels a lot of these same people will be the type that have achieved nothing in his eyes but throw a Celtic jersey on and think they're the next Michael Collins.

No+to+Foreign+Games+RSF+style.jpg

Don't like what he said? Pay €17.99 for a PPV in the hope that you see him lose at UFC 194. He's no fool.
    I thought it was in response to someone calling him out on the hypocrisy of using the Foggy Dew as an entrance song and then going and wearing a british poppy.

It's funny how he's taking a pop at the barstool brigade when they are exactly the kind of people he tries to appeal to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

mikeym wrote: »
    Hes lost a lot of Northern Ireland fans on both sides.

He wears the poppy and slags the Queen.

Foolish man.

And the UFC relaunch the reebok t-shirt with the northern counties blanked out......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    So in other words, he is saying he's Irish (obviously) but F the Republicans and F the British empire? Yet he worn the poppy and maintains it reperesents all men lost at war?

Yeah, he's pretty much saying he doesn't give a f**k either way, and now both sides are doing their best to take it personally. "**** the queen" was unnecessary but he has a point (ie. who gives a toss).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ironically with all this McGregor is a Scottish name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Being honest, this is kind of where I fall on the matter too. It's all just nonsense but lots of people died because of it all the same. Grow up and stop taking sides.

I thought it was in response to someone calling him out on the hypocrisy of using the Foggy Dew as an entrance song and then going and wearing a british poppy.

It's funny how he's taking a pop at the barstool brigade when they are exactly the kind of people he tries to appeal to

You're mental if you think that's the case. I doubt Conor could give a feck about them as they represent very little/next to nothing in terms of making him money. Seems like a cheap shot maybe because you don't like him.

Unless I misinterpreted what you mean by barstool brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

dave1982 wrote: »
    Ironically with all this McGregor is a Scottish name

And the Scots were an Irish clan.

#circleoflife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

I couldnt be sittin next to him watchin a fight. He'd do your head in bouncin around the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

bur wrote: »
    Being honest, this is kind of where I fall on the matter too. It's all just nonsense but lots of people died because of it all the same. Grow up and stop taking sides.

I never said I was on a particular side, I just wanted to understand his outburst more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Let's be real, if that was a foreigner mocking and insulting an Irish symbol or tradition or head of state there'd be anger. I know I'd be annoyed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Conor McGregor
    Just now

**** politics and **** religion.
    I just want to swing a few lefts and a few rights for a couple of hundred mill in peace

Back tracking perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/659853813403295746
    Fúck politics and fúck religion.
    I just want to swing a few lefts and a few rights for a couple of hundred mill in peace.

Jeeeesus.

EDIT: I mean, you can't say fúck politics when he's the one that drew attention to it in the first place.

It's like people having an argument and somebody with no viable counter point chimes in with a, 'we'll agree to disagree' bomb and walks out of the room never to be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's so contrived. But a little funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

walshb wrote: »
    It's so contrived. But a little funny too.

He says he wants peace but he's hardly gonna get any now given the previous comments. The loon.

That_Guy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/659853813403295746

Jeeeesus.

EDIT: I mean, you can't say fúck politics when he's the one that drew attention to it in the first place.

It's like people having an argument and somebody with no viable counter point chimes in with a, 'we'll agree to disagree' bomb and walks out of the room never to be seen again.

He hardly drew attention to it in a meaningful way given that he was responding to criticism and essentially told both sides to do one.

I'm not sure people are actually reading what he said before jumping to their faux outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm sure most people on here are intelligent enough to see what he is getting at.

But **** me, there's enough of his fans who are in the demographic who won't. It's a ****ing stupid thing to post, and the follow up is just as stupid. Time to delete them and claim to be hacked. Idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

James McClean will the a happy man tonight with Conor taking the poppy spotlight of him this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

This is gold. All the tosser fans are heart broken and tearing down their McGregor posters Stan style.

"I used te respect u Conor but now i hope aldo kills u ye prick." x1000 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Davei141 wrote: »
    This is gold. All the tosser fans are heart broken and tearing down their McGregor posters Stan style.

"I used te respect u Conor but now i hope aldo kills u ye prick." x1000 :pac:

I know, it's hilarious. I'm from a very republican background and I think anyone who takes offence to what he has said or him wearing the poppy is an absolute tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Did they all stop supping their beloved Celtic after this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Conor can do or say pretty much whatever he likes in my book as long as that weapon he calls a left hand connects with Aldo's head (or Frankie or Chad or whoever they put in front of him) and he smiles while he does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well it does. It comes from the poppy fields in flanders post WW1. Despite being "neutral", a couple of hundred thousand irish men died. It's ironic, the barstool brigade complaining on facebook, will probably happily lament Willy McBride and the red poppies in the green fields of france.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Your all bleeding mad lads seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

moneyman wrote: »
    Skimming through the comments on that, it's insane the amount of people who are completely missing his point and slating him. It's like they didn't even bother to read it. Suppose that goes hand in hand with the type of people who comment on those things (generally speaking).

I think the only person missing the point is Conor. Did you have a look at the Tweet by the 1916 society? He enters the octagon with a song that talks of "Britannia's huns" attacking our country, yet he wears a commemorative symbol that eulogises those same huns. To add further confusion to this very puzzling set of circumstances, he says "**** the [leader of those huns]". So basically he is alienating both sides of this particular fan base. Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I think the only person missing the point is Conor. Did you have a look at the Tweet by the 1916 society? He enters the octagon with a song that talks of "Britannia's huns" attacking our country, yet he wears a commemorative symbol that eulogises those same huns. To add further confusion to this very puzzling set of circumstances, he says "**** the [leader of those huns]". So basically he is alienating both sides of this particular fan base. Why?

Lack of education on the subject? When you spend most of your adult life doing pretty much just one thing every day, it leaves little room for reading history books?

Or, was he after having a few Midletons?

Hardline republicans are now the PC brigade getting 'offended' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

hopefully he doesn't walk out to the foggy due again, he can wear a poppy if he wants but you can't wear a poppy and walk out to a rebel tune without being a hypocrite

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement