Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

amkin25 wrote: »
    I'll never get the chael love in from everyone,while i don't mind the guy for sure the iq of the world population is surely dropping off a cliff,im not saying chael himself is not clever im sure he is a clever guy just people that buy into his act in anyway aren't too sharp.
    Seriously i don't mean to take the p*ss but do people really not see that sonnen rehearses his speeches,and just does a wwe act and it is not in the least bit convincing,fair play to him for getting what he got out his career but this is typical of people reading too much american mma articles or just generally getting brainwashed by american culture.
    Americans absolutely love sonnen,if sonnen was irish or british they would hate the guy,his whole act is a complete show conceived by dana and sonnen,as they know they never could match the pay per views of brock lesnar with black athletes like jones or anderson silva,they need white heros to make a million pay per view sales in america its that simple,and sonnen done a couple of rehearsed speechs while jacked up on roids,backed up the fact dana was giving him big fights and american joe public bought into it because of a lack of white americans in the game and bang they sold loads of pay per views that is all there is to chael.

Need white heroes? Only the Americans like Sonnen? Is that supposed to be some kind of joke? I think you need to put down the crack pipe mate. Everyone likes Chael and for a reason too. Great coach on TUF also and a great speaker. You mean a guy who does loads of interviews/public speaking pre rehearses?? Stop the presses! You do know the WWE act stopped ages ago when people got bored of it? Act or not he is by far the most interesting UFC fighter around.

Anyone who was a big fan of Bisping and Hardy during their smack talking phase and found it entertaining please put your hand up...Nobody? Not one? Funny that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I'll never get the chael love in from everyone,while i don't mind the guy for sure the iq of the world population is surely dropping off a cliff,im not saying chael himself is not clever im sure he is a clever guy just people that buy into his act in anyway aren't too sharp.
    Seriously i don't mean to take the p*ss but do people really not see that sonnen rehearses his speeches,and just does a wwe act and it is not in the least bit convincing,fair play to him for getting what he got out his career but this is typical of people reading too much american mma articles or just generally getting brainwashed by american culture.
    Americans absolutely love sonnen,if sonnen was irish or british they would hate the guy,his whole act is a complete show conceived by dana and sonnen,as they know they never could match the pay per views of brock lesnar with black athletes like jones or anderson silva,they need white heros to make a million pay per view sales in america its that simple,and sonnen done a couple of rehearsed speechs while jacked up on roids,backed up the fact dana was giving him big fights and american joe public bought into it because of a lack of white americans in the game and bang they sold loads of pay per views that is all there is to chael.

That is a laughably terrible post.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Exactly. He's been in the UFC for two seconds and now he thinks he belongs in the HOF. Outside of Ireland nobody has a reason to buy his rubbish. If he's not careful he's going to end up looking like Phil Baroni or Dan Hardy. Guys who tried to talk their way to prominence and ended up a joke because they couldn't back up their big mouths.
    Another terrible post. Dan hardy a joke... Are you serious? So many things wrong with that statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Davei141 wrote: »
    Need white heroes? Only the Americans like Sonnen? Is that supposed to be some kind of joke? I think you need to put down the crack pipe mate. Everyone likes Chael and for a reason too. Great coach on TUF also and a great speaker. You mean a guy who does loads of interviews/public speaking pre rehearses?? Stop the presses! You do know the WWE act stopped ages ago when people got bored of it? Act or not he is by far the most interesting UFC fighter around.

Anyone who was a big fan of Bisping and Hardy during their smack talking phase and found it entertaining please put your hand up...Nobody? Not one? Funny that...
    Easy Rod wrote: »
    That is a laughably terrible post.

Honestly to be fair,on the ultimate fighter brazil and the other one i liked the guy,but i think the pay per view stats bear out what what i say is exactly true.
    You are saying the wwe act stopped ages ago,then i don't get the comparing him to Conor,as a guy i said i like him but most unbiased people would admit Conor is the funnier guy,or at least more natural trash talking off the cuff without pre learned lines.
    You guys are biased against Conor or just bought into american sites too much,where american fans can't stand anyone other than an american who trash talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

If someones a arrogant asshole he's a arrogant asshole be him Irish English German American Brazilian they are a arrogant asshole.

Not saying Conor is one, don't want to be breaking rules as this thread is a landmine for warnings.Just pointing something out

Seen poster of Conor in Lidl today WTF!

• Advertisement

Agree with you,just find it annoying like with americans in general if someone american trash talks they generally like it,but if the person is irish or british to them they think this person is getting out of their box hence they hate him.
    Bisbing while i never was a big fan he got a reputation for being a trash talker but mostly he was just responding to people,he eventually bought into the heel part as a way to sell his fights,but for years he had a reputation for a trash talker when he wasn't really one at all,he was just standing his ground mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Another terrible post. Dan hardy a joke... Are you serious? So many things wrong with that statement.

Let's see. Got fast tracked to a title shot. Was dominated so badly we have to send him cards on Mother's Day now. Lost over 4 in a row. Hell IIRc one of those losses was after he claimed he could beat his opponent with his eyes closed. So yes Hardy did end up a joke.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Let's see. Got fast tracked to a title shot. Was dominated so badly we have to send him cards on Mother's Day now. Lost over 4 in a row. Hell IIRc one of those losses was after he claimed he could beat his opponent with his eyes closed. So yes Hardy did end up a joke.

Your opinion of what constitutes a 'joke' is incorrect. I was never the biggest Hardy fan but unless the punchline involves a UFC paycheck for life, I don't know how you're coming to your conclusion.

Your opinion of what constitutes a 'joke' is incorrect. I was never the biggest Hardy fan but unless the punchline involves a UFC paycheck for life, I don't know how you're coming to your conclusion.

He [and Bisping] only get that luxury because of Zuffa's efforts to expand to the UK. Hardy is a joke because nobody can take him seriously anymore. He ran his mouth and failed to back it up.

Honestly to be fair,on the ultimate fighter brazil and the other one i liked the guy,but i think the pay per view stats bear out what what i say is exactly true.
    You are saying the wwe act stopped ages ago,then i don't get the comparing him to Conor,as a guy i said i like him but most unbiased people would admit Conor is the funnier guy,or at least more natural trash talking off the cuff without pre learned lines.
    You guys are biased against Conor or just bought into american sites too much,where american fans can't stand anyone other than an american who trash talks.
    Agree with you,just find it annoying like with americans in general if someone american trash talks they generally like it,but if the person is irish or british to them they think this person is getting out of their box hence they hate him.
    Bisbing while i never was a big fan he got a reputation for being a trash talker but mostly he was just responding to people,he eventually bought into the heel part as a way to sell his fights,but for years he had a reputation for a trash talker when he wasn't really one at all,he was just standing his ground mostly.

You have a serious chip on your shoulder about Americans. What is that all about? What american sites are slagging off Conor? Go on name one. You are talking a serious amount of rubbish. Btw Conor being funnier i don't think so, he was funny in the first few interviews then it got boring fast.

if you are a funny trash talker i will find you entertaining, if your trash talk isn't funny it bores me to tears. Bisping/Hardy were boring trash talkers who just slung crap at people, and this forum absolutely hated them at the height of it. Funny i would bet the exact same people who hated them then keep going on about how Conor is just playing a game etc. Hypocrites.

• Advertisement

No chip on my shoulder specially not against americans i assure you,just stating facts,american mma fans have been heavily biased against brit fighters for years now if you followed mma at all,the same applies to Conor it seems.

I didn't really say sites were slagging him off,i said you were following american sites a lot where you read the articles,but there is commenting at the bottom of most articles these days and this is what has clouded your mind slightly in my opinion.

But good luck to you,i find Conor naturally a very funny guy and i know plenty of people think the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

People just don't like Bisping because he comes across as an asshole, I certainly have never seen the same level of resentment towards Hardy, he seems to have a lot of American fans.

McGregor is doing a lot of talking in the media and calling out other fighters which is rubbing people the wrong way, that's all. Looking for some kind of anti-europe conspiracy is taking it a bit too far.

People just don't like Bisping because he comes across as an asshole, I certainly have never seen the same level of resentment towards Hardy, he seems to have a lot of American fans.

McGregor is doing a lot of talking in the media and calling out other fighters which is rubbing people the wrong way, that's all. Looking for some kind of anti-europe conspiracy is taking it a bit too far.

Have to say i never said anything about anti-europe or conspiracy you picked them ideas up urself,but you probably don't recall but hardy was equally hated until he got knocked out a few times then people started to like his stand up style coz it made for fun fights as long as he wasn't a threat for titles they got to like him.
    I would agree Conor has trashed plenty of people and warrants it,but if a fighter from around these parts is anyway decent and tries to smack talk even the slightest,americans get all up in arms at least until the person starts losing a few fights then they will not mind him at all,same thing is happening with bisbing right now people more and more are liking him when he is becoming less of a contender.

No chip on my shoulder specially not against americans i assure you,just stating facts,american mma fans have been heavily biased against brit fighters for years now if you followed mma at all,the same applies to Conor it seems.

I didn't really say sites were slagging him off,i said you were following american sites a lot where you read the articles,but there is commenting at the bottom of most articles these days and this is what has clouded your mind slightly in my opinion.

But good luck to you,i find Conor naturally a very funny guy and i know plenty of people think the same.
    Have to say i never said anything about anti-europe or conspiracy you picked them ideas up urself,but you probably don't recall but hardy was equally hated until he got knocked out a few times then people started to like his stand up style coz it made for fun fights as long as he wasn't a threat for titles they got to like him.
    I would agree Conor has trashed plenty of people and warrants it,but if a fighter from around these parts is anyway decent and tries to smack talk even the slightest,americans get all up in arms at least until the person starts losing a few fights then they will not mind him at all,same thing is happening with bisbing right now people more and more are liking him when he is becoming less of a contender.

I don't even know what to say to this. People generally don't like trash talkers full stop, unless they are funny. They especially don't like trash talkers who haven't backed up jack shit either. Name an American trash talker who isn't funny, doesn't back it up yet people love them? Go for it. Should be easy if Americans get a free pass.

Btw people like Bisping and Hardy now because they had the humility knocked into them and beneath all the trash talk they were 2 intelligent guys who were actually pretty interesting when they gave proper opinions. Although Bisping on TUF was one of the most hateable characters you would ever meet, but hey least it got people caring right..

I don't even know what to say to this. People generally don't like trash talkers full stop, unless they are funny. They especially don't like trash talkers who haven't backed up jack shit either. Name an American trash talker who isn't funny, doesn't back it up yet people love them? Go for it. Should be easy if Americans get a free pass.

Btw people like Bisping and Hardy now because they had the humility knocked into them and beneath all the trash talk they were 2 intelligent guys who were actually pretty interesting when they gave proper opinions. Although Bisping on TUF was one of the most hateable characters you would ever meet, but hey least it got people caring right..

Chael is one who isn't/wasn't very funny,but that is all a matter of opinion but one thing is for sure he didnt/couldn't back it up.
    He was an embarrassment as a fighter he came out with this tripe he would fight any man anywhere,who wouldn't if they are willing to turtle up and quit once the fight goes against them,smart strategy for sure but as a fighter embarrassing the way he quits when the fight goes against him.

Your last line"but hey at least if got people caring"why don't u apply this thinking to Conors trash talking since all he is doing is getting people talking.

Chael is one who isn't/wasn't very funny,but that is all a matter of opinion but one thing is for sure he didnt/couldn't back it up.
    He was an embarrassment as a fighter he came out with this tripe he would fight any man anywhere,who wouldn't if they are willing to turtle up and quit once the fight goes against them,smart strategy for sure but as a fighter embarrassing the way he quits when the fight goes against him.

Your last line"but hey at least if got people caring"why don't u apply this thinking to Conors trash talking since all he is doing is getting people talking.

So all you have is Chael? You have some serious hate for the guy. He knows when he is beat and doesn't take unnecessary damage, he won't be having problems when he is older that is for sure. Doesn't say much for your point considering Chael is one of a kind, do you have anyone else to back up your crap about American fighter being treated differently? I was being sarcastic in my last sentence. The idea that you can act like a gimp like during the Miller interview and it is all explained away by getting people talking, like that means I shouldn't dislike it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

So all you have is Chael? You have some serious hate for the guy. He knows when he is beat and doesn't take unnecessary damage, he won't be having problems when he is older that is for sure. Doesn't say much for your point considering Chael is one of a kind, do you have anyone else to back up your crap about American fighter being treated differently? I was being sarcastic in my last sentence. The idea that you can act like a gimp like during the Miller interview and it is all explained away by getting people talking, like that means I shouldn't dislike it.

he's smart but I was a little embarassed for him how his fight with Rashad Evans ended, it sounded like he was whimpering.

he's smart but I was a little embarassed for him how his fight with Rashad Evans ended, it sounded like he was whimpering.

No arguments here, that was the worst style match up for him ever and he knew he was fecked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

What would a loss mean for McGregor? Would we ever hear from him again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Thomas D wrote: »

If he loses i guess he'll retire, or drop down to Cage Contendor, pretty tricky one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

A loss would derail the hype train and crush any title aspirations.

After that who knows??? He would have to lose the ego and as the Americans say eat humble pie.

But he could come back a better fighter

I think a loss would be the making of Conor tbh, not a decision but good KO

Yeah i think a loss wouldn't be too bad for his career,look at pettis he took a sloppy decision loss to clay guida and look how he rebounded.
    People wanna see his style and hear his trash talk even if they hate him,so unless he strings together a few losses i think he will get a plenty of shots in the ufc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭threeball

jodaw wrote: »
    A loss would derail the hype train and crush any title aspirations.

After that who knows??? He would have to lose the ego and as the Americans say eat humble pie.

Last time I heard, his auld fella had eaten it all

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

dave1982 wrote: »
    I think a loss would be the making of Conor tbh, not a decision but good KO

???:confused:

I'd say a win would be more helpful.

Just that his fast track to the title shot would be over. His fans however?

Bklbxh2CUAARWhU-590x900.jpg

Conor needs to be built up properly, fast tracking him by giving fighters that suit his style won't benefit him in the long run. If he gets past Brandao (Which i firmly believe he will) i think he should fight a top 10 wrestler like Guida or Lentz. Although I can't see that happening.

monkey8 wrote: »
    ???:confused:

I'd say a win would be more helpful.

I say different, its the internet it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

He seems mentally very brittle (having to talk himself up all the time) so my horrible feeling is he will quit or at least consider quitting.

• Advertisement

He seems mentally very brittle (having to talk himself up all the time) so my horrible feeling is he will quit or at least consider quitting.

Come on lads if he loses he will just be forced to check his smack talk a bit, hes hardly going to quit! This ain't boxing MMA fighters lose all the time. It is how they respond to them losses it usually makes people better fighters very rarely does it make them quit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement