Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

hopefully he doesn't walk out to the foggy due again, he can wear a poppy if he wants but you can't wear a poppy and walk out to a rebel tune without being a hypocrite

Why is anyone forced to choose one side or the other? Can one not simply acknowledge/sympathise/respect/understand the sacrifices of both sides? Just the same as anyone can choose to side with the British or the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

hopefully he doesn't walk out to the foggy due again, he can wear a poppy if he wants but you can't wear a poppy and walk out to a rebel tune without being a hypocrite

Why not? I'm not being smart, just genuinely wondering. Do both things have to be interlinked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Why is anyone forced to choose one side or the other? Can one not simply acknowledge/sympathise/respect/understand the sacrifices of both sides? Just the same as anyone can choose to side with the British or the Irish.

Hate being dragged into this. But surely you side with your own country . Thats quite obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Eire this, Eire that, come out wrapped in an Irish flag, blood of the Celts to the tune of The Foggy Dew........wears a poppy, says **** you to the lads in Celtic jerseys in their local and the Queen.....

Scooby Doo is less confused tbh

Anyway, McGregor in being a knob shocker I suppose

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Whelo79 wrote: »

So you would understand a Palestinian wearing an Israeli symbol to remember those they lost in wars/conflicts?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

So you would understand a Palestinian wearing an Israeli symbol to remember those they lost in wars/conflicts?

Jaysis can we not go down that road please.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Have to say its a dumb move from Mcgregor.He will lose many thousands of fans for this.Many in the UK got behind him and he could lose lucrative deals and appearances in the UK on the many sport shows due to this.

I personally cant stand this whole brit vs irish thing-Its so old.The same lads in the celtic jerseys make a bee line for English mots when on their Spanish holiday,they watch eastenders and go to England every wkend to watch the matches and fight fellow irishmen in the ubiquitous Man U vs Liverpool boll1x.

Ive lost respect for McG not for wearing the poppy but for his stupid divisive comments.The Brits are our closest neighbours and get behind us on many occasions while we are stuck in the past.

With the Queens visit and how successful it was I thought we as a nation were moving on but seems some people still hold the present day brits accountable for things that happened many decades ago.

davmol wrote: »
    Have to say its a dumb move from Mcgregor.He will lose many thousands of fans for this.Many in the UK got behind him and he could lose lucrative deals and appearances in the UK on the many sport shows due to this.

I personally cant stand this whole brit vs irish thing-Its so old.The same lads in the celtic jerseys make a bee line for English mots when on their Spanish holiday,they watch eastenders and go to England every wkend to watch the matches and fight fellow irishmen in the ubiquitous Man U vs Liverpool boll1x.

Ive lost respect for McG not for wearing the poppy but for his stupid divisive comments.The Brits are our closest neighbours and get behind us on many occasions while we are stuck in the past.

With the Queens visit and how successful it was I thought we as a nation were moving on but seems some people still hold the present day brits accountable for things that happened many decades ago.

I assume you are from Southern Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

TheNap wrote: »

You mean down Cork or Waterford way ?

Jaysis can we not go down that road please.

Well if people will pretend they don't understand what the problem is, more what the hypocrisy is, you have to take extreme measures :)
    His entrance music is "The Foggy Dew" a song which remembers the men who fought against British Imperialism in 1916.

Then he wears the poppy to commemorate the same men who executed our leaders of 1916, logic?

• Advertisement

A large section of McGregor fans are the Celtic jersey wearing, pin in their hand down the local type that he just said "**** you" to

He was also gaining support in the UK as they were basking in our reflected glory, then he says **** the Queen too

It really was an absolutely idiotic post.

Dublin born and bred but not sure what that has to do with anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

phpFWKZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think a lot of people are perhaps vastly overestimating the love that the young adult male (mma main demographic) in NI/UK has for the Queen and the monarchy in general.

Dublin born and bred but not sure what that has to do with anything.

The Brit / Irish thing isnt old in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

"We are all one" - Genki Sudo

The Brit / Irish thing isnt old in Northern Ireland.

In the North there is a deep rooted hate between the 2 sides its been inbred for generations.I think it will take a while before things get better up there.Hopefully with Devoluton etc things get better.

Im talking about Mainland Britain where Ireland are considered good neighbours and they support us on many occasions and the VAST majority see us as friends and considering there is a huge number of Irish and people of irish descent they really see us favourably.If you asked many of them about what happened in the past,they wouldn't haave a clue.

Latest from McGregor's page. Can't believe he's gone this far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

What a terrible analogy. Just awful. You really don't understand the issue at all. Just stop it.

I'm saying that to both you and McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't give a flying f** who wears a poppy, but that missus browns post was below the belt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It's gas how many people are butthurt over comments on the Queen. They must be genuinely soft in the head to look up to a monarch like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Was it smart idea to wear the poppy? No it represents britain's soldiers who died . Ok Irish died and if my recollection of the Irish be allied with England the Irish were put in front line.

Looks like poppy has lots of meanings from country to country. Irish people seem to be anti poppy.

I can see his point regarding Celtic jerseys but what he said bout queen is a boo boo. It is gonna cause problems with English market so now the British will tune into see him get kod. Either way people are gonna watch

Be interesting to see if UFC make him apologize

I don't give a flying f** who wears a poppy, but that missus browns post was below the belt!

Absolutely bang out of order if ya ask me

dave1982 wrote: »
    Was it smart idea to wear the poppy? No it represents britain's soldiers who died . Ok Irish died and if my recollection of the Irish be allied with England the Irish were put in front line.

Looks like poppy has lots of meanings from country to country. Irish people seem to be anti poppy.

I can see his point regarding Celtic jerseys but what he said bout queen is a boo boo. It is gonna cause problems with English market so now the British will tune into see him get kod. Either way people are gonna watch

Be interesting to see if UFC make him apologize

They won't.

Controversy=$$

Dana doesn't care as long as you don't get political on your walk out to the octagon.

dave1982 wrote: »

Irish soldiers were no more on the front line than English, Scottish and Welsh soldiers. A massive proportion of officers also died on the Allied side.

Lots of historians out today who have probably read about 10 sentences total of WW1 history. Better to say nothing and be thought a fool comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's gas how many people are butthurt over comments on the Queen. They must be genuinely soft in the head to look up to a monarch like that.

Juts because some may think his crass comments about a head of state are out of order doesn't necessarily mean that they look up to that head of state. It's all about standards and manners and class.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

In the North there is a deep rooted hate between a minority of the 2 sides its been inbred for generations.I think it will take a while before things get better up there.Hopefully with Devoluton etc things get better.

Fixed that for you ;-)

BeepBeep! wrote: »
    Fixed that for you ;-)

I stand corrected.

walshb wrote: »
    Juts because some may think his crass comments about a head of state are out of order doesn't necessarily mean that they look up to that head of state. It's all about standards and manners and class.

Standards and manners don't sell fights. I don't think Conor is the sharpest tool in the box but at least he speaks his mind which is refreshing. Maybe you'd like if his publicist writes his twitter comments like Jon Jones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Lukker- wrote: »
    Standards and manners don't sell fights. I don't think Conor is the sharpest tool in the box but at least he speaks his mind which is refreshing. Maybe you'd like if his publicist writes his twitter comments like Jon Jones.

But can we never separate selling fights from other activity? Not sure thoses comments will sell anything. Anyway, me suspects that it was well publicised-staged. He comes across as the most managed sports star out there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement