Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Meh.

People are still going on about this kind of stuff, it's 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

mdwexford wrote: »
    Meh.

People are still going on about this kind of stuff, it's 2015.

What kind of stuff? Saying crass stuff about people? I know we can all be gulity of it from time to time. But to be so open and deliberate with it is nothing to be proud of or nothing to dismiss so flippantly.

Yes, it is 2015. It's social media mania the past few years. Standards have been slipping for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

walshb wrote: »
    What kind of stuff? Saying crass stuff about people?

Yes, it is 2015. It's social media mania the past few years. Standards have been slipping for years now.

No Ireland England rubbish obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

What kind of stuff? Saying crass stuff about people? I know we can all be gulity of it from time to time. But to be so open and deliberate with it is nothing to be proud of or nothing to dismiss so flippantly.

The internet is bad news I tell ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Maybe it's just me, but if Conor had reacted with a touch of class and resepct and articulation I reckon he gets a whole lot more satisfaction and worth from it. He gets the publicity as well, and he also gets a lot more kudos and adulation. Ws he simply incapable of reacting without resorting to swearing and insulting?

It seems to be a case of him not being managed/advised proeprly. Either that or he is completely his own man?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

mikeym wrote: »
    Hes lost a lot of Northern Ireland fans on both sides.

You've got your finger right on the pulse of NI have you there in Cork? :confused:
    This is what I find so silly. He wears the poppy, and then in defending himself against those criticising his wearing the poppy, he slates the symbolism of the poppy, and to add a bit more to his 'defence' he utters classless words about a head of state. Was he on the sauce for this odd and illogical outburst?

Sorry, who or what is the symbolism of the poppy?
    Hardline republicans are now the PC brigade getting 'offended' :pac:

Nah, they've been jumping on that bandwagon for ages in the north. Both sides are just immature dinosaurs who like to use any excuse they can get their slimey finger tips on to make themselves out to be victims.

davmol wrote: »
    In the North there is a deep rooted hate between the 2 sides its been inbred for generations.I think it will take a while before things get better up there.Hopefully with Devoluton etc things get better.

I wish I could say you're wrong but unfortunately you are correct although it will take longer than a while, it will take a couple of generations to beat the hatred out of some people up here.

After read about this all I can say is it was stupid for Conor to make any comment about Celtic fans or the Queen but the fauxrage is ridiculous. People who know very little(which is evident from some of these forum posts) getting upset and wanting their say and just making it out to be a lot more than what it is. Its the same as James McClean situation, the reactions to him a few weekends ago was crazy and it had nothing to do with a poppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Devastator wrote: »
    You've got your finger right on the pulse of NI have you there in Cork? :confused:

Sorry, who or what is the symbolism of the poppy?

Nah, they've been jumping on that bandwagon for ages in the north. Both sides are just immature dinosaurs who like to use any excuse they can get their slimey finger tips on to make themselves out to be victims.

I wish I could say you're wrong but unfortunately you are correct although it will take longer than a while, it will take a couple of generations to beat the hatred out of some people up here.

After read about this all I can say is it was stupid for Conor to make any comment about Celtic fans or the Queen but the fauxrage is ridiculous. People who know very little(which is evident from some of these forum posts) getting upset and wanting their say and just making it out to be a lot more than what it is. Its the same as James McClean situation, the reactions to him a few weekends ago was crazy and it had nothing to do with a poppy.

McClean refuses to wear the poppy. What he did a few months back was turn his back on the British flag when the anthem was being sung.
    Both are being idiots IMO. But they're sports stars, not politicians

According to the history books 200,000 Irish people died in World War 1. Shame on Conor for remembering them?

According to the history books 200,000 Irish people died in World War 1. Shame on Conor for remembering them?

200,000 fought.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

evil_seed wrote: »
    McClean refuses to wear the poppy. What he did a few months back was turn his back on the British flag when the anthem was being sung.

McClean's an idiot! He's an adult who chooses to live & work in England (he's a footballer, they have professional football all over the world), contribute to the exchequer, avail of British goods, services and infrastructure etc. He has no problem being paid in money with The Queen's face on it and certainly has no problem spending it.......

But yeah, turn your back on the flag and the national anthem. The only people you're fooling are the likes of the dopes who jumped on McGregor last night.

• Advertisement

evil_seed wrote: »

Thank you for backing up my point! FYI the club friendly you are referring to is nothing to do with my point which is people not being informed yet making comments and getting it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

So you would understand a Palestinian wearing an Israeli symbol to remember those they lost in wars/conflicts?

The inspiration for the poppy came from an American women who took it from a poem by a Canadian doctor, to remember those who died in the first world war. It's now a symbol for all soldiers who died, whether they be English, Scottish, Irish, Australian etc etc etc. There are tens of thousands of Irish who fought and died in these world wars fighting under the british army. Are there tens of thousands of Palestinians who faught in the Israeli army?

Because of our proximity we get to see all the British celebration of it. The one aspect I do hate is that it is used by some as a symbol for current conflicts. Otherwise I have no problem with anyone using it as a way of remembering those who gave their lives in past wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

MrStuffins wrote: »
    McClean's an idiot! He's an adult who chooses to live & work in England (he's a footballer, they have professional football all over the world), contribute to the exchequer, avail of British goods, services and infrastructure etc. He has no problem being paid in money with The Queen's face on it and certainly has no problem spending it.......

But yeah, turn your back on the flag and the national anthem. The only people you're fooling are the likes of the dopes who jumped on McGregor last night.

James McLean did not turn his back on the Union Jack. Everyone was standing face forward and then everyone turned to the side. All but James. To say he turned his back on it is bs. If you are going to pontificate at least get your facts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

MrStuffins wrote: »

The same idiots having a go at him would have been the same lads defending McClean's freedom to act the way he did. It’s the expected level of hypocrisy though from these types.

One thing I would say is that a lot of SBG fighters, as well as Kavanagh, don’t seem to take negative comments from the public very well. If you’ve made yourself a public figure you’ve got to build up a slightly thicker skin or at certain times your responses will just make things worse.

Lukker- wrote: »

200,000 fought.

Still though, worth remembering, and certainly shouldn't be hammered for it. 40,000 Irish people dying and he's not allowed commemorate it with a poppy? Don't get it really.

Devastator wrote: »

I agree with all of this! Anyone who is genuinely offended, from either side, good luck to them. I wouldn't want to have any dealings with them. The rest are all just mouth pieces with their faux outrage who want to chirp in with their 2c, no matter how unintelligent they are.

Still though, worth remembering, and certainly shouldn't be hammered for it. 40,000 Irish people dying and he's not allowed commemorate it with a poppy? Don't get it really.

I don't disagree.

I think people should mind their own business and let people who want to wear a poppy wear one and people who don't wear one should be allowed to without criticism too.

People have valid reasons for both and their views should be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

I don't disagree.

I think people should mind their own business and let people who want to wear a poppy wear one and people who don't wear one should be allowed to without criticism too.

This is really how I feel i wouldn't wear one but if somebody wants to so be it it's up to them

Feck sake can we all move on now getting really old going around in circles arguing over a fecking flower

I don't disagree.

The more people we had in the world with this outlook the happier the place would be for everyone to live in. ðŸ‘

Lads, like it or not the poppy is commemorative for all soldiers lost during WWs, unfortunately that message seems to have been completely lost/forgotten about. Now I'm not sure of the exact reasons why but I would hazard a guess that you can blame us idiots in the north for it. IMO Catholics/Republicans choose not to wear a poppy because the funding goes to the current armed forces and that brings up bad recent(they'll claim) memories and the Protestants/Unionists have ceased the opportunity to claim the poppy as their own.

Nowadays here whether you choose to wear one or not is basically the same as deciding to wear a Celtic or Rangers top, you're just advertising you label and what you are(this marking your territory type attitude still seems to be important). Its gotten to stage here people let morons run their life and they're apparent belief. I know Catholics who have worn a poppy because they've been going into(living or working) in a Protestant area and don't want to "stand out like a sore thumb" for not wearing one and vice versa (Protestants taking a poppy off when going into a Catholic area) PLEASE DO NOT LET THE MORONS IN THE NORTH LED THE WAY FOR YOU, we're f**ked, we have been for ages, we're not a good example to anyone!

Personally, I couldn't care less if someone wears one or not(poppy, Celtic/Rangers top, Green t-shirt on Paddy's day) but if they are wearing it for the simple reason of "This is what I am and f**k you" then they're just scumbags who I don't waste my time with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's not so simple though, the big problem a lot of people have is that the vast majority of poppies found for sale in Britain and Ireland are not just plain old commemoration poppies but ones that sponsor the Royal British Legion which provides support to British army veterans, which again should be fine except because the british never prosecuted any of their war criminals so if you buy a poppy chances are you are supporting the scum who shot 26 innocents at Bloody Sunday or the 11 civilians killed at Ballymurphy etc.,

Some people might be fine with their money going to support murderers but plenty of people are not. In McGregor's case and judging by what he said I'd guess he isn't aware of it, but I don't see why he shouldn't be informed. People might say it's all in the past but please go say that to the relatives of the Ballymurphy massacre who were in the news only this week still trying to get some sort of justice, or the relatives of the Disappeared, there is still a lot to be sorted out before things can move on in peace and simply ignoring it isn't going to work out well for Ireland and Northern Ireland in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I get what Conor was on about, but it was a poor choice of words re the Queen. As a result, people are jumping on that and slating him without actually getting the overall point of his post.

As far as those complaining about him wearing the poppy, that's a load of nonsense imo. People should be able to wear what they want nowadays and some make too much of the poppy issue. He was at a UK event, he was probably offered it being a guest, and if he refused chances are word would have leaked about that or people would just see him without it, and people would be up in arms anyway. For the record I've no problem with McClean not wearing it either, like I say it's a personal choice but you're damned if you do, damned if you don't in these situations. One side or the other is going to jump on it seemingly, which is a pity these days.

It's not so simple though, the big problem a lot of people have is that the vast majority of poppies found for sale in Britain and Ireland are not just plain old commemoration poppies but ones that sponsor the Royal British Legion which provides support to British army veterans, which again should be fine except because the british never prosecuted any of their war criminals so if you buy a poppy chances are you are supporting the scum who shot 26 innocents at Bloody Sunday or the 11 civilians killed at Ballymurphy etc.,

Some people might be fine with their money going to support murderers but plenty of people are not. In McGregor's case and judging by what he said I'd guess he isn't aware of it, but I don't see why he shouldn't be informed. People might say it's all in the past but please go say that to the relatives of the Ballymurphy massacre who were in the news only this week still trying to get some sort of justice, or the relatives of the Disappeared, there is still a lot to be sorted out before things can move on in peace and simply ignoring it isn't going to work out well for Ireland and Northern Ireland in the long run

There are loyalist and republican convicted murderers who are now walking the streets because of the Good Friday agreement and could easily be receiving government welfare payments so I’m sorry I just don’t buy the line that the tiny money raised in him buying the poppy is the issue. Republicans murdered and maimed many innocent soldiers but I’m sure you’re just as vocal about getting them justice.

This pettiness about the gall of someone wearing a flower is pretty depressing. Continuing the cycle of vilification is helping no one.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    There are loyalist and republican convicted murderers who are now walking the streets because of the Good Friday agreement and could easily be receiving government welfare payments so I’m sorry I just don’t buy the line that the tiny money raised in him buying the poppy is the issue. Republicans murdered and maimed many innocent soldiers but I’m sure you’re just as vocal about getting them justice.

This pettiness about the gall of someone wearing a flower is pretty depressing.
    Republicans and Loyalists criminals were treated as criminals, the British army could have taken part in the amnesty if they had wanted to but they chose not to acknowledge their crimes. I don't like it but the GFA terms were made and voted on in an attempt to deal with the recriminations from both sides, the British opted out, hence they paid no semblance of justice for their crimes.

And I don't agree with you comparing 'innocent' soldiers, who signed up by choice and could have refused to serve in a colonial force to innocent civilians who had absolutely no say in what happened to them and just happened to be from the wrong area or followed the wrong religion.

And how people can constantly be so disingenuous in reducing it to just being about wearing a flower is frustrating. If you want to wear a flower to commemorate the dead wear a white poppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

The most annoying thing of all these days is that a poppy is forced upon people nowadays in the UK. Its not a case of being allowed make a decision and opt to wear a poppy, its almost expected.

Its like being called out for not making a donation to a particular charity, thats someones choice, it should never be an expectation.

A personal commemorative gesture has been hijacked and has become a duty in the UK, to wear the poppy, its probably one of the most impersonal gestures going, probably used as a vehicle to pay faux homage to the soldiers, who probably could have used the more tangible financial support and care after wars, alot more than a national day of rememberance.

McGregor and McClean were pretty idiotic though, dignified silence is the way to go. Choose not to wear it/wear it but the statements of insult/granduer by both are more fuelled by their own want for a bit of attention more than anything. They both manage to turn it into a circus. If they just shut up and got on with their own business then the storm blows over quickly. Lack of brain cells most probably.

I find the defence of McGregor as equally funny as the slating of him. People sh*ting on about its meaning probably only looked into what it means after McGregor put it on. Wearing the poppy is his own business, it means damn all in the general scheme of things. But it doesn't exactly fit with this image of the fighting Irishman using the foggy dew as his entrance tune and the like. Its all pretty funny in fairness. Speaking as someone who has damn all political/religious views, one can see how it rubbed people up the wrong way on both sides. Rather than it being some grand intellectual statement by McGregor (which people seem to be patting him on the back for), its a case of a bloke not having the foggiest idea what hes on about but trying to maintain a bit of the philosopher about himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Can we forget the sh!te talk now and get back to the action!

Jaysis lads can yas take the political talk somewhere else this is all getting a bit much on a Friday afternoon.

Anyone any thoughts on McGregor's on the brink videos? Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet

Its a fair point as to where the money is going, I had no idea and can understand how a certain section of people would be upset. But I'm a proud Irishman and be fairly up to scratch on my history and didn't know this, Conor can't be expected to know it either, he's from dublin and fights for a living. A calm head explains that to him as opposed to sending a bunch of abuse and calling him a idiot or whatever spiraling into such a hullabaloo as if he's some sort of traitor or hypocrite which we all know is nonsense. I've never seen man from Ireland represent his country with such passion for his roots

Republicans and Loyalists criminals were treated as criminals, the British army could have taken part in the amnesty if they had wanted to but they chose not to acknowledge their crimes. I don't like it but the GFA terms were made and voted on in an attempt to deal with the recriminations from both sides, the British opted out, hence they paid no semblance of justice for their crimes.

And I don't agree with you comparing 'innocent' soldiers, who signed up by choice and could have refused to serve in a colonial force to innocent civilians who had absolutely no say in what happened to them and just happened to be from the wrong area or followed the wrong religion.

And how people can constantly be so disingenuous in reducing it to just being about wearing a flower is frustrating. If you want to wear a flower to commemorate the dead wear a white poppy

I’m not going to go through point by point, as the MMA forum is not the place to be discussing them. It is however a never ending cycle of ignoring what one side did while never letting go of the crimes that were committed on the other that will never lead to people moving on.

Whether it’s a flag, a parade, or a flower; vilifying someone for taking part or not taking part in any does the sum of f-all to fix an issue aside from a world-class display of pettiness.

• Advertisement

Its a fair point as to where the money is going, I had no idea and can understand how a certain section of people would be upset. But I'm a proud Irishman and be fairly up to scratch on my history and didn't know this, Conor can't be expected to know it either, he's from dublin and fights for a living. A calm head explains that to him as opposed to sending a bunch of abuse and calling him a idiot or whatever spiraling into such a hullabaloo as if he's some sort of traitor or hypocrite which we all know is nonsense. I've never seen man from Ireland represent his country with such passion for his roots
    And that's fair enough, that's why I have no time for people who constantly try to just reduce it to being about wearing a flower when there is more to it. There is a white poppy too which commemorates all the war dead but for some reason it's never become as popular

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement