Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

joeguevara wrote: »
    James McLean did not turn his back on the Union Jack. Everyone was standing face forward and then everyone turned to the side. All but James. To say he turned his back on it is bs. If you are going to pontificate at least get your facts right.

Tomayyt-oh Tomaaht-oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

And that's fair enough, that's why I have no time for people who constantly try to just reduce it to being about wearing a flower when there is more to it. There is a white poppy too which commemorates all the war dead but for some reason it's never become as popular

Just because you’ve built it up in your head to mean one thing does not necessarily mean that everyone feels the same way. You don’t have the right to hurl insults and/or ram your beliefs down other’s throats because they’ve chosen to take a different meaning to it (whether it’s an informed way or not)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Just because you’ve built it up in your head to mean one thing does not necessarily mean that everyone feels the same way. You don’t have the right to hurl insults and/or ram your beliefs down other’s throats because they’ve chosen to take a different meaning to it (whether it’s an informed way or not)
    This is the problem at the moment, it's about trying to convince people you can apply your meaning and everything is rosy.. As long as you give your money to the RBL. Grow your own poppy and wear it or wear a white one instead if you really want to commemorate the dead.

Anyway that's enough politics for now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

For a man who can be hard to like at times, he is a remarkably easy bloke to defend - usually because his critics haven't a clue what they're talking about.

I have to say I like Ian O'D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

That article hits the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I like Ian O'D as well, but he has missed the point of this. The main point to this is not what Conor said, but more the way he was simply unable to articulate himself in a respectable and dignified manner. That is what is missing here. F this and F that. It's pure crass and vulgar. Nothing at all to defend there. The McGuigan compariosn is just pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

To say this entire thing is about a poppy is woefully disingenuous. Nobody cared about it (apart from 1 guy) until McGregor insulted a huge portion of his fanbase based on that one guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Conor got trolled lashed out, whoever started this obviously got in conors head. End result conor says **** the queen haha

This is the problem at the moment, it's about trying to convince people you can apply your meaning and everything is rosy.. As long as you give your money to the RBL. Grow your own poppy and wear it or wear a white one instead if you really want to commemorate the dead.

Anyway that's enough politics for now

You don’t seem to get that it doesn’t matter if you don’t feel it’s rosy or not. If you don’t want to wear a poppy then you’re fully entitled to it but you have no right to try to ram your beliefs down on others and vilify them when they don’t cave into you.

I’m sure you’re probably of the same group that believed it was wrong for others to abuse McClean for not wearing one. It’s the standard hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

I no iv said let's forget it but this one made me laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Looks like the Mountain from Game of Thrones was in SBG, the size of him!

wWcjTh6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

shrewdness wrote: »
    Looks like the Mountain from Game of Thrones was in SBG, the size of him!

wWcjTh6.jpg

And either guy beside him would tie the big fella up in knots and make him cry like a little girl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    And either guy beside him would tie the big fella up in knots and make him cry like a little girl :)

TBF, he'd just pick them up and fcuk them across the octagon

Someone hasn't seen how that goes down Game of Thrones

TBF, he'd just pick them up and fcuk them across the octagon

If he'd be stupid enough to put his hand in gunnar nelsons body then he deserves everything he gets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

If he'd be stupid enough to put his hand in gunnar nelsons body then he deserves everything he gets

The man weighs over 400lbs, lets be realistic here...

The man weighs over 400lbs, lets be realistic here...

Let's not drag this into one of those conversations. If Gunnar nelson goes up against almost anyone, they will lose. End of

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not sure if that's true tbh.
    And I am saying that as a Bjj fighter.

If he was simply a big huge actor, then Id agree. But he's much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What's McGregor doing posing for a photo 7 weeks from the fight? Should he not be training?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that's true tbh.
    And I am saying that as a Bjj fighter.

If he was simply a big huge actor, then Id agree. But he's much more than that.

Yeah He's stupid strong not just big
    Leverage gives advantage mathematically but Jesus he's strong

Tigger wrote: »
    Yeah He's stupid strong not just big
    Leverage gives advantage mathematically but Jesus he's strong

450kg deadlift
    116kg one arm press for reps
    Ridiculous stuff like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Personally I couldn't give a toss about poppys or whatever.

I just enjoy watching him fight. Will this whole episode have any bearing on his mind leading up to the fight?

Obviously he is mentally very strong just hoping it doesn't play on his mind, because he was enjoying huge popularity before all this nonsense which breathes confidence.

Mellor wrote: »
    450kg deadlift
    116kg one arm press for reps
    Ridiculous stuff like that

450 DL wouldn't stop nelson taking his back and putting him to sleep. Obviously his massive frame and strength would help in certain areas, but unless he's trained in some sort of grappling, I'd see a world class bjj fighter win every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Didn't Royce Gracie settle this argument, decades ago?

Shaun Dauzat
    Did you kick his ass? Dude respond to my post. I am not an average blow jo. I love you and can support you.

A post on conors Facebook page, had to laugh some people should not be allowed internet

Saipanne wrote: »

I thought he did

When he was only one who knew bjj, yes. Today no chance bigger guys know bjj.

dave1982 wrote: »
    When he was only one who knew bjj, yes. Today no chance bigger guys know bjj.

My point was based on the fact that he was just very big and strong and untrained in grappling

• Advertisement

Saipanne wrote: »

No Royce Gracie never fought anyone close to his stature.
    He beat a big sumo/pro wrestler. But that's very different.
    450 DL wouldn't stop nelson taking his back and putting him to sleep. Obviously his massive frame and strength would help in certain areas, but unless he's trained in some sort of grappling, I'd see a world class bjj fighter win every time
    Pedro Sauer (8th Dan black belt under Rickson) famously fought a bodybuilder in the 90s. Reported as a 100lb difference. He won, but it was by no means a park in the park. (Try to ignore the bias commentary)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdeNFcZE9s4

I'm not saying they'd never win. I'm just saying there's scenarios where if goes in the mountains favour. If he dragged one of them down, he need only a few boulder fists to end it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement