Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Bjj give the smaller man an advantage in theory, how much advantage over a monster human being and Icelands strongest man where strongman are everywhere is debateable, Can't imagine he'd be the easiest person to take down

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Bjj give the smaller man an advantage in theory, how much advantage over a monster human being and Icelands strongest man where strongman are everywhere is debateable, Can't imagine he'd be the easiest person to take down

There's numerous scenarios where one would get the better of the other. But out of 10 fights, I'd say skill and technique beats untrained size and strength 8/10 times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Those body punches sound awful and he's not even putting 50% into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

xtal191 wrote: »

how to get injured before a fight lol

conor is what 170 or something there?
    yer man is 418

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

HE'S 6 WEEKS BEFORE THE FIGHT SHOULD HE NOT BE IN THE GYM. Oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

jimmii wrote: »
    HE'S 6 WEEKS BEFORE THE FIGHT SHOULD HE NOT BE IN THE GYM. Oh wait.

this guy wins the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

xtal191 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

moneyman wrote: »
    Those body punches sound awful and he's not even putting 50% into them.

Little more than a tickle to the belly button for the mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There is simply far too much height and weight and size for Conor to overcome here. Unless the mountain is completely useless then he destroys McGregor. These kind of debates kind of remind me of those claiming that Brice Lee beats any man ever.... Ludicrous. For the record, Conor breaks Lee in half.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    There is simply far too much height and weight and size for Conor to overcome here. Unless the mountain is completely useless then he destroys McGregor. These kind of debates kind of remind me of those claiming that Brice Lee beats any man ever.... Ludicrous. For the record, Conor breaks Lee in half.

What if Conor had landed one of those half arsed shots on mountains chin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What if Conor had landed one of those half arsed shots on mountains chin?

It would have annoyed him and he would have picked McGregor up and had him as an appetiser for dinner.

I say that as a McGregor fan, but the difference in size has to be taken into account.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    It would have annoyed him and he would have picked McGregor up and had him as an appetiser for dinner.

I say that as a McGregor fan, but the difference in size has to be taken into account.

You watch too much TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Lets be real here, he gets his arms around you, youre being crushed to death by a bearhug

You watch too much TV

So if McGregor had 200+ pounds laying on top of him, he could use his bjj to get out of it?

So if McGregor had 200+ pounds laying on top of him, he could use his bjj to get out of it?

Read back throug the last few pages. There's always gonna be some scenarios where size and strength will help.
    Even though that video was playful, Conor's footwork was far superior, he landed numerous punches to the midsection, that could've easily been to his chin instead. The big guy might be great on TV but that's not how it plays out in real life

Read back throug the last few pages. There's always gonna be some scenarios where size and strength will help.
    Even though that video was playful, Conor's footwork was far superior, he landed numerous punches to the midsection, that could've easily been to his chin instead. The big guy might be great on TV but that's not how it plays out in real life

In that respect I don't disagree in any way. His technique is far superior. But if he got rushed and caught....... Oh no :-D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/other-sports/conor-mcgregor-interview-he-wants-the-whole-world-to-hear-him-362439.html

A piece the (Cork) Examiner did on him.

I'm still a little bemused at how little mainstream media work is doing/offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ah come on lads yes conor landed few jabs . Mountain showed zero resistance if he wanted he could crush conors ribs in a heartbeat, if he landed a shot on McGregor conor eating food through straw for rest of his life. He was able put his hands on conor and hold him if fight was serious be all over for conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

hes 418 pounds i'm 220 pounds and i know what much smaller than me bjj people can do to me but 418lbs ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That clip of him and The Mountain has made NZ news website (well the NZ news website).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/73569597/gots-mountain-takes-on-ufc-champion

That's pretty global!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bjj give the smaller man an advantage in theory,

Not really. The idea that BJJ works better against bigger guys is largely a misconception. It doesn't. Absolute divisions are usually won by bigger guys.
    The big guy might be great on TV but that's not how it plays out in real life
    If people were basing it just on being a behemoth on TV, then sure. I was basing it more on the worlds strongest man 2nd/3rd place the last 3 or 4 years in a row.

Anyway, all seams a bit silly. He's fighting some brazilain next anyway

Mellor wrote: »
    Not really. The idea that BJJ works better against bigger guys is largely a misconception. It doesn't. Absolute divisions are usually won by bigger guys.

If people were basing it just on being a behemoth on TV, then sure. I was basing it more on the worlds strongest man 2nd/3rd place the last 3 or 4 years in a row.

Anyway, all seams a bit silly. He's fighting some brazilain next anyway

Well Mariuz pudzianowski (worlds strongest man several times) has been training mma over 6 years now and his record, against nobody's, is pretty bad.
    This argument, as you rightly state, is silly, and could go on forever and ruin this wonderful thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

CatFromHue wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/other-sports/conor-mcgregor-interview-he-wants-the-whole-world-to-hear-him-362439.html

A piece the (Cork) Examiner did on him.

I'm still a little bemused at how little mainstream media work is doing/offered.

Great piece.

His I need to get away from the spotlight now is right, no more tweets or Facebook messages!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well Mariuz pudzianowski (worlds strongest man several times) has been training mma over 6 years now and his record, against nobody's, is pretty bad.
    Isn't he like 9-3? He lost to the likes of Slyvia and McCorkle. Not exactly unknowns.
    Besides, he's fighting guys that the same size as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

The Mountain has, without doubt, much better footwork than Pendred.

Mellor wrote: »
    Isn't he like 9-3? He lost to the likes of Slyvia and McCorkle. Not exactly unknowns.
    Besides, he's fighting guys that the same size as him.
    Maybe not unknown, but shjte

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

But that's the thing he's fighting people his size and not 200lbs lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

I find it hard to see how people (McGregor fanboys or not) could see how in gods name McGregor could do more than tickle him. The Mountain is 3 times his weight and is a world class strongman. He wouldnt need to have to grapple. Mcgregor would be crushed.

• Advertisement

JaCrispy wrote: »
    I find it hard to see how people (McGregor fanboys or not) could see how in gods name McGregor could do more than tickle him. The Mountain is 3 times his weight and is a world class strongman. He wouldnt need to have to grapple. Mcgregor would be crushed.

He might be big and strong but we've no idea how he'd cope in a fight. He might curl up in a ball once he gets hit in the face. We've no way of knowing. So I'm basing my point on him being purely big and strong. Ive often taken on guys grappling who'd had little or no experience but would be twice my size and sooo much stronger me. But purely through technique I could easily submit them. And I'm by no means on par with Gunnar or Conor when it comes to grappling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement