Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

"I think Conor would..."

"But the mountain..."

Seriously? People are analysing and dissecting two lads messing about?
    Like analysing a WWE fight/script writers decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

"I think Conor would..."

"But the mountain..."

Seriously? People are analysing and dissecting two lads messing about?
    Like analysing a WWE fight/script writers decision.
    So who do u think would win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    He might be big and strong but we've no idea how he'd cope in a fight. He might curl up in a ball once he gets hit in the face. We've no way of knowing. So I'm basing my point on him being purely big and strong. Ive often taken on guys grappling who'd had little or no experience but would be twice my size and sooo much stronger me. But purely through technique I could easily submit them. And I'm by no means on par with Gunnar or Conor when it comes to grappling

Have you even seen game of thrones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Depp wrote: »

The factual documentary?

;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

So who do u think would win :)

About time someone asked me. Well I think.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Depp wrote: »

game of throws?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Well Mariuz pudzianowski (worlds strongest man several times) has been training mma over 6 years now and his record, against nobody's, is pretty bad.
    This argument, as you rightly state, is silly, and could go on forever and ruin this wonderful thread :)

145 lbs nobodies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

T-K-O wrote: »
    145 lbs nobodies?

This. But even at that...

Pudzianowski is 6'1"and "only" weighs 260lbs.

Björnsson weighs between 400 and 500 lbs depending on which source is more accurate and is 6'9".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

He might be big and strong but we've no idea how he'd cope in a fight. He might curl up in a ball once he gets hit in the face. We've no way of knowing. So I'm basing my point on him being purely big and strong. Ive often taken on guys grappling who'd had little or no experience but would be twice my size and sooo much stronger me. But purely through technique I could easily submit them. And I'm by no means on par with Gunnar or Conor when it comes to grappling

I cringe when i hear a fanboy saying McGregor could beat a guy who, if he sits on you alone would probably suffocate you. Probably the same people who defend him even when he does indefendible things, saddle sniffing to the point where the man can do no wrong no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Wheres that video that was here few mins ago?

Good video. Worth noting how much more bulked up and toned he looked in the siver fight compared to the Mendes fight.

That fight seemed to drain him in every was possible in the lead up.

Hoping it will be easier in the aldo fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

HEY!!! if any of Gunnys mates can confirm if this is believable!
    I'm convinced Gunnar was at one of my gigs at the weekend (outside but near dublin) and f**ing hated us!!! Does gunnar hate loud rock music when he's out for a quiet lemonade??

(i could be mistaken)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Was an interesting video, maybe the ongoing site problems have something to do with its disappearance. Tech support!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Sorry that was me - meant to edit but deleted it, here it is again -

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

akelly02 wrote: »
    I cringe when i hear a fanboy saying McGregor could beat a guy who, if he sits on you alone would probably suffocate you. Probably the same people who defend him even when he does indefendible things, saddle sniffing to the point where the man can do no wrong no matter what.

I'm far from a fanboy of mcgregors. I'm talking more about an elite grappler like Nelson taking on somebody huge. What makes me cringe is guys in awe of big muscle heads and can't seperate real life from TV heroics.
    For what it's worth, I don't think Gunnar would be Thor or superman

• Registered Users Posts: 55,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'm far from a fanboy of mcgregors. I'm talking more about an elite grappler like Nelson taking on somebody huge. What makes me cringe is guys in awe of big muscle heads and can't seperate real life from TV heroics.
    For what it's worth, I don't think Gunnar would be Thor or superman

But there are plenty of muscle heads out there who are somewhat capable. You cannot dismiss the likes of these when they are facing far smaller opposition. The size and weight is of huge significance. But, I suppose, a well placed clean kick to the scones can drop any man. But that's illegal in MMA rules.

walshb wrote: »
    But there are plenty of muscle heads out there who are somewhat capable. You cannot dismiss the likes of these when they are facing far smaller opposition. The size and weight is of huge significance. But, I suppose, a well placed clean kick to the scones can drop any man.

A clean powerful strike to the diaphragm/kidneys/liver would also work.

Saipanne wrote: »

Really? Not so sure when one man is 145 and the other is 400 + lbbs. Physiology plays its part too. Not so easy to have the same impact/effect when striking a man far bigger in all areas. Huge body mass can help as well as hinder.

Anyway, in MMA I would have to bet on The Mountain to beat Conor 99/100 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

No it wouldn't. The guy is the same weight as a large silver back Gorilla.

He is also the third strongest man on the planet and strongest in Europe.

As soon as he got a hold of you it would be over.

walshb wrote: »
    Really? Not so sure when one man is 145 and the other is 400 + lbbs. Physiology plays its part too. Not so easy to have the same impact/effect when striking a man far bigger in all areas. Huge body mass can help as well as hinder.

Anyway, in MMA I would have to bet on The Mountain to beat Conor 99/100 times.

I'm sure the mountains liver isn't "ripped" or whatever. A liver is a liver.

Despite the thread title, I was more thinking of Nelson.

A liver is a liver. Still not correct to say that a punch from one weight to another weight will have the same effect. It may not have the same effect. Livers can be shielded and protected differently. Body mass and body makeup is the key to this possibility.

In boxing you rarely see a KO in the HW division via body shots. And that's from HWs hitting HWs. No real freaking way a flyweight or featherweight drops a HW from a body shot......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's also internal, protected my a lot more muscle than a typical man.
    Whatever about being choked out, saying he'd getting dropped by a body shot is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Disregarding now close you will need to be to land a good liver shot. Its rare they actually drop people in similar weight category fights. It happens yes and they suck yes. But there is a lot of shock absorbing and protection there including ribs.

Really its a timing thing then they do work. To think someone who weighs 230 pounds more would be folding to one well placed body shot is nuts.

It would be like a kid who could box hitting you. It would hurt a bit but I doubt a 11 year old could fold you over regardless how good of a boxer he is.

Fair enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The Mountain boxing

TBH as soon as the Mountain gets a hold of Conor, he crushes him. Conor doesnt have the reach to get in and punch him in the head and get out without getting caught. Kicks too the stomach are too risky if he gets caught. From the video it looks like the Mountain has decent stamina so it'd be difficult to out tire him

His boxing technique and punch delivery is horrendous, but I still wouldn't fancy a slap off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

A big MW would beat him. Weidman for example.

Not so sure about FW/LW etc.

We know from original UFCs and frwakshow fights in Pride that a smaller man can beat a bigger man if the bigger man is unskilled and the smaller man is faster and far more skilled.

I also know from training myself that a fit and decent (good purple belt level) 75kg guy can DEMOLISH a 100-110kg beginner (no technique, gases almost instantaneously etc).

Size matters but skill makes up for an awful lot of that vs a skilless opponent.

Now, give him 6 months of training and it's a different story altogether...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hmmm... the guy I train grappling with is about 100 kg and fairly ripped, I'm 85kg and, well, not too ripped but not fat either! I recently grappled with an experienced 70kg guy and the difference is astonishing really... (this isn't really in relation to the above discussion, just an observation). So, going from grappling one guy I regularly train with to the other was amazing... I was able to impose my physical presence a lot more and make up for occasional slack technique with just brawn. Its just a lot easier to lift-and-toss a 70kg guy than a 100kg guy :)

Putting someone like Rener Gracie up against the Mountain? I dunno, its very much a case of "if this then he's f*cked, otherwise he dominates" sort of question. Mountains sheer power is pretty epic. If he can bring it to bear in any meaningful way, its definitely going to have an effect. But his brain needs oxygen just like anyone elses!

I don't think a meaningful answer can really be given but Rener rolls with a 275lb American Football player here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZDQ0-Zbpt8
    He makes one very interesting comment during it... that Tamba doesn't use his power to force his bad techniques through... which does imply that Rener understands that power means *something*. (great video too btw, worth a watch for the towel bit alone :) )

Considering that Mountain can easily bench press Nelson over his head, I think it would come down to luck more than anything. I dunno who I would put money on! But I would have to say, anyone who thinks weight and size doesn't matter... are mad. It might not make up the difference between a beginner and an expert but it certainly makes a difference and with Mountains size and power, that's a lot of "difference" being made up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

akelly02 wrote: »

Ill admit I'm as big a McGregor fanboy as they come but even I'm not deluded enough to think hed stand a chance against someone that strong and tall like come on use your common sense

I would think that grappling would be the least effective way for the likes of Conor, or a similar sized MMA man to beat a man the size of the mountain. Grappling is effective, but as mentioned by DeVore, the weight-size of the foe will be of real importance.

Conor's only real hope is to win on points by darting in and out and scoring points here and there whilst avoiding return fire. Could he do it? Possibly, but he'd have to manage to keep well away for 15 minutes. Plus, he would need to drain the energy from The Mountain to slow The Mountain's advances. Best way to do that is to be physical wityh him, and therein lies the danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Big Nog (240lbs) vs Bob Sapp (350lbs). Big Nog won but he had a lot of trouble with Sapp.

Big Nog is a heavyweight champ/legend and weighs 70/80lbs more than McGregor and The Mountain weighs 70-80lbs more than a 'supplemented' Bob Sapp.

This only goes one way for me. He just needs to grab a hold of McGregor and it gets bad pretty quickly.
    So much size and strength is just too much to overcome with skill sometimes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement