Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

callaway92 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this video before?

Conor McGregor taking on The Mountain from Game of Thrones.

Cool, who do you think would win?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Regarding ufc Is Joe .ie becoming a pain in the hole ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

joe.ie has always been a pain in the hole for everything.
    Find bandwagon
    Absolutely beat it to death
    Rinse and repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Joe is bad but the worst page on social media is the benchwarmers. It's actually painful to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Can't forget the Irish Daily Mirror and the daily "these huge spiders will kill you and your family" stories all over the news feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

If I took a dump on a page and smeared it across it, it'd still be better than anything Joe.ie has ever written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If I took a dump on a page and smeared it across it, it'd still be better than anything Joe.ie has ever written.

Well, that's not true. Joe have published a fair amount of genuinely interesting, well written articles and some of their writers are very talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

callaway92 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this video before?

Conor McGregor taking on The Mountain from Game of Thrones.

He just fought Marcus Brimmage there too.I reckon he'll get a title shot before long

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Regarding ufc Is Joe .ie becoming a pain in the hole ?

nowhere near as bad as our favorite Hawaiian BJ Penn, now that site is a pain in the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

scudzilla wrote: »
    nowhere near as bad as our favorite Hawaiian BJ Penn, now that site is a pain in the hole

I'd rather read Joe.ie everyday for the rest of my life than go onto the BJ Penn site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Well, that's not true. Joe have published a fair amount of genuinely interesting, well written articles and some of their writers are very talented.
    That's the problem with Joe.ie. There is some genuinely good stuff on their site but they keep on peddling the same clickbait over and over again. Nobody ever really knows it's there since we only over go there through clickbait.

That's the problem with Joe.ie. There is some genuinely good stuff on their site but they keep on peddling the same clickbait over and over again. Nobody ever really knows it's there since we only over go there through clickbait.

I agree with that entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I know it isn't a serious discussion but in regards to Conor vs the Mountain and the topic of skill vs size, Good to take a gawk at Bob Sapp vs Big Nog. 352 pounds of unskilled lump vs 231 pounds of Nog in his prime and when he is one of the best on the planet. Conor is maybe 160 pounds vs the mountain 405 lol unless this is an action movie Conor needs to run away.

The Mountain seems like a good guy, i have seen clips of him sparing in boxing and arm wrestling, coming out worst at both, and still in good form with zero ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

JJayoo wrote: »
    I know it isn't a serious discussion but in regards to Conor vs the Mountain and the topic of skill vs size, Good to take a gawk at Bob Sapp vs Big Nog. 352 pounds of unskilled lump vs 231 pounds of Nog in his prime and when he is one of the best on the planet. Conor is maybe 160 pounds vs the mountain 405 lol unless this is an action movie Conor needs to run away.

The Mountain seems like a good guy, i have seen clips of him sparing in boxing and arm wrestling, coming out worst at both, and still in good form with zero ego.

Just when we had managed to divert away from this ridiculous debate you steer us right back there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

THESE 400LB BUMS DON'T UNDERSTAND UNTIL THEY GET HIT BY ME. IT'S A WHOLE OTHER BALL GAME WHEN THEY GET HIT BY ME!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just when we had managed to divert away from this ridiculous debate you steer us right back there ;)

Because superman/Joe.ie/BJ Penn.com was so much more relevant ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

are we still talking about this the mountain is two and half times heavier and at least that much stronger none of those big fat or just show muscle not that remarkably strong people that got beat before in the examples had close to such a weight or strength advantage

any of you go an try to lift 200 kg he can do twice that for reps, you want to get close enough to get a liver shot in ? thats not fat covering his liver its a wall of muscle

do people think Conor will go straight to LW if he wins, Aldo rematch would be likely but with UFC 200 looming and the likelihood of Aldo retiring is a Frankie v Conor fight enough of a draw?
    Can you fight and lose in LW and still be FW champ?

If Aldo wins he retires right? I mean he'd have nothing left to prove and if he loses i think he retires because he's getting slower and his blood lust seems to be less (look at how he didn't go for the throat in Mendes 2) while a rematch with a possible loss is only going to harm his legacy.

do people think Conor will go straight to LW if he wins, Aldo rematch would be likely but with UFC 200 looming and the likelihood of Aldo retiring is a Frankie v Conor fight enough of a draw?
    Frankie v Conor (as an unified champ) is a huge draw imo.
    Can you fight and lose in LW and still be FW champ?
    Yes. Champs have fought up a weight in the past. In had no bearing on their belt. However, the UFC would rather they vacate and move up rather than hold up a division.
    If Aldo wins he retires right? I mean he'd have nothing left to prove and if he loses i think he retires because he's getting slower and his blood lust seems to be less (look at how he didn't go for the throat in Mendes 2) while a rematch with a possible loss is only going to harm his legacy.

I can see him moving up over retiring. He's not even 30 yet. With Barao now at 145, Aldo going to LW seams likely regardless of the result. He mgiht stay for a Frankie rematch if he wins, then move up.

Mellor wrote: »
    Frankie v Conor (as an unified champ) is a huge draw imo.

realistically; for both Conor and Aldo how hard a toll is making weight now the IV's are gone?
    Do you think that if he did (hope hope ) beat Frankie as unified champ he'd want to move up.
    Also what sort of ranking does a (either Aldo or Conor) unfied champ moving up get to be?
    Finally if Jose can't make championship weight then wins does Conor keep the interim belt, i believe if a challenger can't make weight and wins he dosen't get the belt so how would that work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Tigger wrote: »
    Finally if Jose can't make championship weight then wins does Conor keep the interim belt, i believe if a challenger can't make weight and wins he dosen't get the belt so how would that work.

I don't think a champ missing weight has ever been an issue in the UFC so no way to tell what their decision would be but I think this did happen pretty recently in Bellator with kendall Groves. The champ missed weight and it was announced that if Groves won he would win the title but if the champ won he would vacate the belt.

I would imagine something similar would happen in UFC, you can not punish the challenger for the champions mistake

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote: »
    I don't think a champ missing weight has ever been an issue in the UFC so no way to tell what their decision would be but I think this did happen pretty recently in Bellator with kendall Groves. The champ missed weight and it was announced that if Groves won he would win the title but if the champ won he would vacate the belt.

I would imagine something similar would happen in UFC, you can not punish the challenger for the champions mistake

messy if the challenger has an interim belt means that if aldo misses weight he'd be on a hiding to nothing and gaurenteed rematch i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

In fairness though no way the mountain is gunna be able to cut to heavyweight never mind feather weight...maybe with IVs but it just wouldnt be safe! Theyd have to have some sort of openweight belt, but more importantly, who do you think would win?

realistically; for both Conor and Aldo how hard a toll is making weight now the IV's are gone?
    Making weight is the same. It's no harder without IVs (as the IV doesn;t going in until after the scales) and its probably doing the same harm. IV's might improve in ring performance, but I don't think they reduce the toll it takes.
    Do you think that if he did (hope hope ) beat Frankie as unified champ he'd want to move up.
    Assuming that's the way it plans out, Barao could be title contender by then. The Nova Uniao grudge match sells itself. Full camp Chad is also possible.
    Also what sort of ranking does a (either Aldo or Conor) unfied champ moving up get to be?
    Top 10, but not Top 5 imo.

Top 5 at LW is just insane atm, they could easily crack it but putting them ahead of Khabib/Cerrone off the bat is not an option.
    Potentially, If Jose misses weight, Conor can't lose the interim belt, but Conor can become unified champ if he wins. I'm basing that on Lawlor v Hendricks for the vacant WW title.

If that's the case, if either makes weight and wins, they are the unified champ - regardless of the other person making weight. Miss weight and you can only lose the belt.

But It's also possible that either missing takes both belts off the line. (See Paulo Filho v Sonnen)

Depp wrote: »
    In fairness though no way the mountain is gunna be able to cut to heavyweight never mind feather weight...maybe with IVs but it just wouldnt be safe! Theyd have to have some sort of openweight belt, but more importantly, who do you think would win?
    http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/ufc-to-launch-new-300-lb-men-division/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

messy if the challenger has an interim belt means that if aldo misses weight he'd be on a hiding to nothing and gaurenteed rematch i suppose

Considering the amount of UFC title fights there have already been and out of those there has never been an issue with the champions weight(I do seem to remember a challenger years ago but cant remember right now who it was) then the chances of it happening between Aldo/McGregor at 194 are pretty much between slim & none.

Devastator wrote: »
    I do seem to remember a challenger years ago but cant remember right now who it was.

Travis Lutter, after winning the comebacks TUF, he missed weight in his title fight verses Silva.

Mellor wrote: »
    Making weight is the same. It's no harder without IVs (as the IV doesn;t going in until after the scales) and its probably doing the same harm. IV's might improve in ring performance, but I don't think they reduce the toll it takes.

i get that making weight takes a toll on the body long term but i meant toll as in their in cage performance, there are buses in vegas that hook you up to a banana bag and give you oxygen to recover from dehydration so lets say a fighter that dries out and then uses an IV is at their potential 100% with an IV how bad are they going to be without ? will this cause the ones that make the biggest drops to move up ? i get cramps and general malaise when i'm dehydrated and i can't imagine its much fun.
    last question how do they police the IV thing?

i'm referring to this in particular
    http://mmajunkie.com/2015/07/for-ufc-fighters-the-ban-on-iv-use-is-coming-but-will-it-matter

i suppose i should add i'm an analytical chemist so i understand testing and baselines etc but a lot of that article is bull imho you can orally re-hydrate and iv re-hydrate at the same time and clearly drinking loads of fluid affects your ability to get food digested as it dilutes both your stomachs ability to digest food and your lower organs ability to absorb the nutrients.

Aldo can in theory just go somewhere and do it (as can Conor) and has stated he will
    realistically having the weigh ins at ringside is the way to go is there a reason they don't?s part of the show maybe?
    Edit
    ok so some idiots would cut and then die, but this could be managed by agreeing a mean weight and not allowing you to cut too much

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/3/25/5547814/association-ringside-physicians-recommendations-mma-same-day-weigh-ins-dangerous-health-problems

anyway thanks for the answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Making weight is just as easy, just the recovery is supposedly harder.

I say supposedly because all the evidence I've read (plenty of studies available on Google) indicates that rehydrating orally is just as effective as rehydrating with an IV (and in fact in some cases is MORE effective), and for most fighters it merely serves as a placebo effect more than anything else.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Making weight is just as easy, just the recovery is supposedly harder.

I say supposedly because all the evidence I've read (plenty of studies available on Google) indicates that rehydrating orally is just as effective as rehydrating with an IV (and in fact in some cases is MORE effective), and for most fighters it merely serves as a placebo effect more than anything else.

IV is just more convenient because you don't have to force yourself to drink several liters of water in a few hours, you can sit on a couch eating, watching TV,playing xbox, talking to your coaches about strategy, have a quick fap, whatever, and it's just there feeding into your arm.

Rehydrating orally is literally forcing yourself to drink a load of water, it's not fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

IV is just more convenient because you don't have to force yourself to drink several liters of water in a few hours, you can sit on a couch eating, watching TV,playing xbox, talking to your coaches about strategy, have a quick fap, whatever, and it's just there feeding into your arm.

Rehydrating orally is literally forcing yourself to drink a load of water, it's not fun.

...So what? I'm not seeing the issue here.

The only problem I'm seeing is lots of misinformation being spread around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement