Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Conor looked like he recovered the worst out of all his fights for the Mendes fight.

Watching him against siver and poirer he was much more bulked up and toned.

I reckon its getting much harder and I'm hoping its not a big factor in his performance come aldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Conor looked like he recovered the worst out of all his fights for the Mendes fight.

I reckon its getting much harder and I'm hoping its not a big factor in his performance come aldo.

This sort of opinion is quite common and as I'm not an expert and the fact that aldo publicly said he'd use an Iv bag is one of the reasons I was asking
    These questions
    Thought it was more interesting than him fighting a giant or superman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Gumbi wrote: »
    ...So what? I'm not seeing the issue here.

The only problem I'm seeing is lots of misinformation being spread around.
    Do you mean me? I'm not spreading misinformation I'm asking people who know more about this than me
    I do know that if you present with severe dehydration to a hospital they hook you up to a bag not tell you to drink water. Also water doesn't rehydrate on its own you need electrolytes
    If you disagree that Iv + drinking would be better than just drinking and will rehydrate faster and more completely I'd be interested to see the study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Do you mean me? I'm not spreading misinformation I'm asking people who know more about this than me
    I do know that if you present with severe dehydration to a hospital they hook you up to a bag not tell you to drink water. Also water doesn't rehydrate on its own you need electrolytes
    If you disagree that Iv + drinking would be better than just drinking and will rehydrate faster and more completely I'd be interested to see the study.

Rehydrating orally and with and IV is obviously better. The reason why they (IV's) are not allowed is that they have been in the past used to mask blood doping.

As a knock on effect it is having an impact on the amount of weight fighters are cutting.

I don't think Conor will stay at 145 much longer. This could be he last fight at that weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I've seen John Kavanagh tweeting about Oral Ivs before the ufc dublin event. How do they work?

• Advertisement

I've seen John Kavanagh tweeting about Oral Ivs before the ufc dublin event. How do they work?

They are not really IV's/intravenous (through the vein).

They are a rehydration drink with electrolytes and vitamins etc that are marketing themselves as a "oral IV" like an alternative to having an IV drip.

I believe the company dropped off samples to the gym for fighters to try. Not sure if they are sponsoring anyone. I haven't tried them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Google "oral hydration vs iv hydration" and "oral hydration vs iv hydration severe". There are plenty of studies out there.

The only situation where ivs were more effective were in cases of dehydration so severe that the user *physically* couldn't bring the drink to their limits. Despite the extremes MMA fighters go to, most are not that bad.

One study on children with gastroenteritis with dehydration of up to 15% bodyweight (more than what most MMA fighters are cutting which tends to be 10 - 12.5%) found that even then oral hydration was just as effective as IV rehydration.

Other studies with cyclists found equal performance recovery after mild dehydration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

JustTheOne wrote: »

totally agree here...and along with that each weigh in has gotten progressively worse (Brimmage and Holloway he looked fresh as feck, Siver and Mendes he looked like he was about to die)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Just when we had managed to divert away from this ridiculous debate you steer us right back there ;)

yeah but how would ronda fair against the mountain...i'd say she'd knock him out within 5 secs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

paulieeye wrote: »
    yeah but how would ronda fair against the mountain...i'd say she'd knock him out within 5 secs

She'd break the one organ no ordinary fighter can reach. His heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

akelly02 wrote: »
    totally agree here...and along with that each weigh in has gotten progressively worse (Brimmage and Holloway he looked fresh as feck, Siver and Mendes he looked like he was about to die)

I cant decide what's worse, seeing McGregor:
    • look more and more like death at each 145 weigh in
    • move up to 155 and loose in a more stacked division

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I thought he looked worst for Siver, like he'd aged 30 years.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I thought he looked worst for Siver, like he'd aged 30 years.

agree...but maybe thats cos i seen him up close and not on tv in boston...literally looked like a junkie from marlborough st

I cant decide what's worse, seeing McGregor:
    • look more and more like death at each 145 weigh in
    • move up to 155 and loose in a more stacked division

i think he would have a successful time at lightweight, maybe ecen getting a title shot. i would fancy him against RDA as it stands

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

i think he would have a successful time at lightweight, maybe ecen getting a title shot. i would fancy him against RDA as it stands

Are you on drugs? He'd be mauled by the likes of Nurmagomedov, RDA, Cerrone and Henderson would wrestle fúck him for as long as he wants.

Are you on drugs? He'd be mauled by the likes of Nurmagomedov, RDA, Cerrone and Henderson would wrestle fúck him for as long as he wants.

I disagree the weight and size difference is not that much in lighter weight classes. It is only a 10lb jump.

Conor has fought at lightweight before and will not be small for that division. He wont be the biggest but he certainly wont be small. His style also lends itself to being lighter and faster.

Its not like the 15, 20, and up to 60lbs that separate light to welter, middle, light heavy and heavy weight divisions.

10lbs is not that much. Conor walks around close to 80Kg thats 176lbs moving to light weight is still a 21lb drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Better fighters at featherweight than lightweight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If RDA beats Cerrone will he (Cerrone) move up a weight division?

I thought I heard him saying in the past that he wanted to move up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If RDA beats Cerrone will he (Cerrone) move up a weight division?

I thought I heard him saying in the past that he wanted to move up.

He might hang around and hope for a McGregor match up?

im not at this moment, but what has that got to do with it?

1. Khabib would definately give him major trouble but he is practicely retired so forget about him.

2 RDA would be a challenge but his stand up isnt as good as Mcgregor, KO for Mcgregor here.

3. Cerrone my favourite fighter on the roster but he is basic. Wouldnt wrestle, he would stand right in front of Conor which is another KO in my book.

4. Henderson is Talented but on a par with Cerrone. Would get Conor down but ultimately wouldnt be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Khabib might never fight again but thats definitely the worst match up.

I'm not sure on RDA but he puts Cerrone and Henderson away everyday for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Cowboy and Conor is a wet dream of a fight...christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

He'd definitely get the win but i wouldnt say easily, my prediction is hel be dropped straight into the lightweight title when hes still featherweight champ and dana and the ufc will make a huge deal out of it, which it will be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Well every single person here has agreed thatd Conor would beat Mountain, and he's HUGE. so surely the lightweights will be no bother to him

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Well every single person here has agreed thatd Conor would beat Mountain, and he's HUGE. so surely the lightweights will be no bother to him
    Depp wrote: »
    Lets be real here, he gets his arms around you, youre being crushed to death by a bearhug

get your facts straight ;) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Didn't Conor lf basically say himself at the big GO event that he's planning on moving up after Aldo?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Didn't Conor lf basically say himself at the big GO event that he's planning on moving up after Aldo?

Conor says alot of stuff :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Conor says alot of stuff :D

And... most of it comes true! mystic mac!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Not Croke Park though, that's never happening. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement