Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

sure theres no need to worry about that really, aldo is gonna beat him anyway hes more concerned with nightclub appearances, fighting giants and eating in resteraunts, no focus! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tigger wrote: »
    last question how do they police the IV thing?

i'm referring to this in particular
    http://mmajunkie.com/2015/07/for-ufc-fighters-the-ban-on-iv-use-is-coming-but-will-it-matter
    I've said before that I'm not convinced they can police it. I'm aware they can test for plastic in the urine, ie the Contador case the article mentions. But what the article/USADA fails to mention is that that Contador was banned for the clenbuterol not the plasticizer as they couldn't establish a baseline.
    So unless they've since agreed on one, I'm not convinced.

i suppose i should add i'm an analytical chemist so i understand testing and baselines etc but a lot of that article is bull imho you can orally re-hydrate and iv re-hydrate at the same time
    That's the way I see it. It doesn't matter if oral fluids are just as good - maybe they are?. But using both is likely best by far. Plus, you can't drink in your sleep. That has to be huge IV benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    Plus, you can't drink in your sleep. That has to be huge IV benefit

Exactly.

It takes something like 72 hours to fully rehydrate after a weight cut. So every little extra bit you can get to add to brain fluid makes a massive difference. Even the psychological thing of "my brain fluid is that much better rehydrated because I got an extra 8-10 hours worth of fluid while I was sleeping compared to those chumps who only orally hydrate".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

I've said before that I'm not convinced they can police it. I'm aware they can test for plastic in the urine, ie the Contador case the article mentions. But what the article/USADA fails to mention is that that Contador was banned for the clenbuterol not the plasticizer as they couldn't establish a baseline.
    So unless they've since agreed on one, I'm not convinced.

That's the way I see it. It doesn't matter if oral fluids are just as good - maybe they are?. But using both is likely best by far. Plus, you can't drink in your sleep. That has to be huge IV benefit

I dont think they can police it either i rec its only a matter of time before its scrapped, same day weigh ins is the only job really.

evo2000 wrote: »
    I dont think they can police it either i rec its only a matter of time before its scrapped, same day weigh ins is the only job really.

I think same day invites too much chance of some idiot risking a big cut anyway. I reckon staggered weighins, one week out, 3 days before and day of would be the only way to stop being literally risking brain damage to "beat" the cut.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I've seen John Kavanagh tweeting about Oral Ivs before the ufc dublin event. How do they work?
    It's a brand of rehydration fluid, same as pedilyte, hydralyte, etc.
    Gumbi wrote: »
    Google "oral hydration vs iv hydration" and "oral hydration vs iv hydration severe". There are plenty of studies out there.
    As above, its not a case of verses for me. Doing both has to be best. And keeping in going while you sleep has to be a bonus. They can still do it with a 50ml IV, but that smal might not be worth it.
    evo2000 wrote: »
    Mayweather used an IV post weigh-in (illegally) for the Pacquiao fight. USADA was aware of this at the time. He wasn't punished. And he was granted a TUE for its use, it wasn't granted until 3 weeks after the fight.

USADA/WADA don't really care about rehydrating.

Same say weigh-in is a terrible idea, it will lead to way more issues imo.
    The best option imo is a weight gain limit as they use in boxing sometimes, or like they use in judo. They imposed it on Rumble once, why not make it the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

It's a brand of rehydration fluid, same as pedilyte, hydralyte, etc.

As above, its not a case of verses for me. Doing both has to be best. And keeping in going while you sleep has to be a bonus. They can still do it with a 50ml IV, but that smal might not be worth it.

Mayweather used an IV post weigh-in (illegally) for the Pacquiao fight. USADA was aware of this at the time. He wasn't punished. And he was granted a TUE for its use, it wasn't granted until 3 weeks after the fight.

USADA/WADA don't really care about rehydrating.

Same say weigh-in is a terrible idea, it will lead to way more issues imo.
    The best option imo is a weight gain limit as they use in boxing sometimes, or like they use in judo. They imposed it on Rumble once, why not make it the rule.

Agree same day weigh ins are an awful idea but fighters could just cut weight again to stay under the weight gain limit?

Fighters could still make a big cut and instead of concentrating on rehydrating fully/properly they're concentrating on keeping themselves under a certain weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I think something like that is the best option and it will stop figters from cutting so much weight. Have the weigh ins as normal day before but on fight day weigh each fighter again, maybe even hour or 2 before their fight, and they can not be more than 10%(for example) of their weight class over the weight type of idea.

Just needs an official and a set of scales backstage and it could be done quite simply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Noticed Gunni posted this on facebook.

Himself and Conor have been training with Ido Portal, who is a "movement expert".

He specializes in things like bodyweight exercises and mobility/agility/balance. Conor seems to be fairly influenced by him and uses his lizard entrance thing when entering the ring:

Lukker- wrote: »
    Noticed Gunni posted this on facebook.

Himself and Conor have been training with Ido Portal, who is a "movement expert".

He specializes in things like bodyweight exercises and mobility/agility/balance. Conor seems to be fairly influenced by him and uses his lizard entrance thing when entering the ring:

Neither of them have actually trained with him, Conor just copied some of his movements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Surprised he didn't get a splinter doing all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Neither of them have actually trained with him, Conor just copied some of his movements.

05e99980-e1b6-4165-8eb2-2b5e7dde72c4.png

Must be an impostor :P

Ah, then it's recent, because not long ago Portal said in an interview he'd never met McGregor but had seen Conor using his crocodile walk thing.

Ah, then it's recent, because not long ago Portal said in an interview he'd never met McGregor but had seen Conor using his crocodile walk thing.

It was yesterday, so recent enough I suppose. ;)

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/661943907287212034

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Thought this might be of some interest after the recent debate. Sorry if already been posted. Its like little Daniel La Russo in the white fighting the big bad evil Cobra Kai guy in the black....except its BJJ and not a movie :D (147 lb weight difference)

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2499966/Seen-a-bigger-weight-difference-in-BJJ/?&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Devastator wrote: »
    Thought this might be of some interest after the recent debate. Sorry if already been posted. Its like little Daniel La Russo in the white fighting the big bad evil Cobra Kai guy in the black....except its BJJ and not a movie :D (147 lb weight difference)

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2499966/Seen-a-bigger-weight-difference-in-BJJ/?&page=1

Wth? Johnny Lawrence was the GOOD GUY!

martyos121 wrote: »
    Wth? Johnny Lawrence was the GOOD GUY!

haha :D I've seen a youtube video which I think you're referring too, hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

haha :D I've seen a youtube video which I think you're referring too, hilarious!

If this is the video you're on about, you'd be correct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXaittoXJog

martyos121 wrote: »
    If this is the video you're on about, you'd be correct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXaittoXJog

haha no its not, although I have watched that show. This is the video I thought you meant.

WARNING :- Be prepared for your minds to be blown lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I now feel like my whole childhood was a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

They pretty much robbed the idea of that off Barney out of How i met your mother.

"Sport ball what's up with that .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

haha no its not, although I have watched that show. This is the video I thought you meant.

WARNING :- Be prepared for your minds to be blown lol

i almost choked on my food "Mr,Mayogi local child batter" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

How badly did Conor want to punch Gareth A Davies there? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Paully D wrote: »

How badly did Conor want to punch Gareth A Davies there? :pac:

The delivery of his "WTF" AT 0.47 is a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

"Not everyone likes seeing a man succeed" hit the nail on the head, great interview to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Still get chills seeing replays of that fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Jesus he got rattled bout interm champion status.

Good interview though and he looks in shape, maybe preparing for weight cut already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Thought he was on edge when asked about his confidence in beating aldo!

Whatever that means I'm not sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement