Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

He seems mentally very brittle (having to talk himself up all the time) so my horrible feeling is he will quit or at least consider quitting.

Wow.... people are grasping at straws here. I see Conor regularly, quitting just not in this guy. Years ago when he was a kid and lost he took the lost hard as would anyone at that age, but he came back better more determined than ever. Its not like he has never lost before , he has twice and each time came back better.

So many great fighters talk themselves up. Tyson, Ali, Mayweather. Its a apart of the fighting for loads of fighters, surrounding yourself in self belief, and instilling fear/doubt in your opponents.

He won his last fight even though he blew his ACL midway through the fight, if you ever had this happen to you you would know how much that hurts, completely destroys stability in the joint. Its an injury that has stopped many people in their tracks, yet he went on and won. How can you say this dude is a quitter? I'm pretty sure he has proven he is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Wow.... people are grasping at straws here. How can you say this dude is a quitter?

Firstly, I'm allowed have an opinion, as are you.

As stated in my post, *usually* people who have to talk themselves up all the time are mentally weak. For example, Cathal Pendred is genuinely mentally strong. You don't hear him saying he's the greatest in the world, etc., all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I wish people would stop comparing Conor to Sonnen & Ali.

It's like comparing One Direction to The Beatles.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

As stated in my post, *usually* people who have to talk themselves up all the time are mentally weak. For example, Cathal Pendred is genuinely mentally strong. You don't hear him saying he's the greatest in the world, etc., all day.

You hear him saying he can compete with the best in the world and that he thinks he can be the best in the world, though.

Both them posess incredible mental strength and focus on doing just that. It's not a case of believing one's hype, of a lack of respect, of overvaluing or over estimating your position or abilities. To be a success at the very top levels of combat sports, you need to believe you're the best and that you can compete with the best. All the while, sharpening your technique and training to ensure what you believe in your mind comes out in the Octagon. If they went thinking, 'Ah yeah, sure I'll give it my best, see what happens, hope I don't disappoint anyone, got a lot riding on this, I hope I don't lose....' then they'd be beaten before the door on the cage is shut. In this game, at the highest levels, the best guys are the guys who control their mind and believe in themselves the most - when you take the mind away, their technique falls to bits, their flow is affected, their movement, their confidence in their abilities.
    A loss, which he has suffered in the past already, will not see him suddenly disappear or stop him being like him. It'll just spur him to get better, so he can prove what he believes to be true.

Some people go about it quietly, some don't. It'd be pretty f**king boring if they all did the same thing, I think we can agree.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

MrStuffins wrote: »

Bit harsh on One Direction :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I hope Sonnen is Ringo in that analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Thanks for this gem. By saying this you are saying that there is only opinion on the matter and not a correct answer.

I disagree with you because you are wrong, and Conor is not a mentally weak person.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Richy06 wrote: »
    You hear him saying he can compete with the best in the world and that he thinks he can be the best in the world, though.

Both them posess incredible mental strength and focus on doing just that. It's not a case of believing one's hype, of a lack of respect, of overvaluing or over estimating your position or abilities. To be a success at the very top levels of combat sports, you need to believe you're the best and that you can compete with the best. All the while, sharpening your technique and training to ensure what you believe in your mind comes out in the Octagon. If they went thinking, 'Ah yeah, sure I'll give it my best, see what happens, hope I don't disappoint anyone, got a lot riding on this, I hope I don't lose....' then they'd be beaten before the door on the cage is shut. In this game, at the highest levels, the best guys are the guys who control their mind and believe in themselves the most - when you take the mind away, their technique falls to bits, their flow is affected, their movement, their confidence in their abilities.
    A loss, which he has suffered in the past already, will not see him suddenly disappear or stop him being like him. It'll just spur him to get better, so he can prove what he believes to be true.

Some people go about it quietly, some don't. It'd be pretty f**king boring if they all did the same thing, I think we can agree.

Spot on, a good example of a fighter with amazing potential but a low self confidence is Uriah Hall. This dude is a monster & should be in the top 15 , but his belief in himself is holding him back

Confidence is key in any sport lets hope he backs it up against Brandao

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭threeball

Spot on, a good example of a fighter with amazing potential but a low self confidence is Uriah Hall. This dude is a monster & should be in the top 15 , but his belief in himself is holding him back

Confidence is key in any sport lets hope he backs it up against Brandao

I don't think its self confidence that's holding Uriah Hall back, its more an unwillingness to f**k people up. Some people just don't get the buzz out of inflicting damage that most fighters do. That spinning kick knockout on TUF was probably the worst thing to happen to Hall. Seeing what he did to that guy scared him and hence hes been holding back pretty much since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Thanks for this gem. By saying this you are saying that there is only opinion on the matter and not a correct answer.

I disagree with you because you are wrong, and Conor is not a mentally weak person.

Unless you are from the future, we don't know what will happen if Conor loses. And no one, except Conor, knows his true mental state.

Everything here is opinion. I shouldn't have to explain this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

He seems mentally very brittle (having to talk himself up all the time) so my horrible feeling is he will quit or at least consider quitting.

Crazy theory! I don't know of a single instance in Combat Sports History where a fighter retired or quit as you put it, because he didn't match up to his own expectations of himself.

Every single retired boxer I know is STILL sure they could have been a regional/provincial/national/world champ if circumstances had been different for them, if they got the right fights, didn't get mixed with up drink or women etc etc. Very few fighters will say they didn't get there because they didn't have what it takes. Its that unshakeable self belief that makes fighters in all codes what they are.

Fighters, even the most humble of them will all talk themselves up to a degree. It varies from person to person. Some articulate it more than others and use their own self belief as a psychological weapon but It does not make them mentally brittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

amkin25 wrote: »
    Chael is one who isn't/wasn't very funny,but that is all a matter of opinion but one thing is for sure he didnt/couldn't back it up.
    He was an embarrassment as a fighter he came out with this tripe he would fight any man anywhere,who wouldn't if they are willing to turtle up and quit once the fight goes against them,smart strategy for sure but as a fighter embarrassing the way he quits when the fight goes against him.

Nobody can say he was an embarrassment as a fighter unless you
    really dislike the guy which is how you are coming across
    He very nearly backed it up having only lost to the very best and
    all bar maia being world champions
    over a 5 year period he lost 5 fights, 2 to silva, 1 to jones + maia
    once to reshad which imo was the worst possible match up for him.
    That's really the only blemish on his record since 2009 to be fair (rashad fight)
    You couldnt call him a quitter to be fair
    I do think this best days were past him then anyway and but regardless a
    wrestler with decent striking like rashad would always get the better of him

Davei141 wrote: »
    if you are a funny trash talker i will find you entertaining if your trash talk isn't funny it bores me to tears.
    Bisping/Hardy were boring trash talkers who just slung crap at people, and this forum absolutely hated them at the height of it. .

The difference between the two in my opinion of course
    would many agree/disagree here?

I was on the fence with bisbing myself but thrilled to bits when
    a gentleman called dan put him to sleep

I'd imagine 99% of mma fans enjoyed that (bar uk of course)
    someone here also said he met bisbing before he was famous (had a pint with him) and when he was famous he didn't want to know him
    I think it might have been scud? I fell off the fence after hearing that
    Must say I wanted him to beat kennedy in a bad way though

amkin25 wrote: »
    No chip on my shoulder specially not against americans i assure you,just stating facts,american mma fans have been heavily biased against brit fighters for years now if you followed mma at all,the same applies to Conor it seems.

But good luck to you,i find Conor naturally a very funny guy and i know plenty of people think the same.

When you say funny naturally I hope you mean when he's not being interviewed and maybe you know him?
    maybe hes a funny guy in person

Does anyone here find hearing the same thing over and over again
    in interviews funny?
    I fail to see how many could in fairness

as for someone else saying conor is weak mentally, that's an insane thing to say in fairness , he clearly looks a very talented fighter who won't be found
    out mentally imo
    It's easy to see he has a big future ahead of him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Not sure if this is the right thread, but Diego Brandao is on the MMA hour right now. http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/9/5789964/the-mma-hour-with-benson-henderson-ross-pearson-ken-shamrock-diego

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Unless you are from the future, we don't know what will happen if Conor loses. And no one, except Conor, knows his true mental state.

Everything here is opinion. I shouldn't have to explain this.

You did see his name right? :D

mines not a bashing comment but I think people should consider all the variable before lashing into any fighter. to even get to that level means all the planets have to practically align for you. think of what has to happen before you even get close to a shot.
    You need to be talented or at least have good natural ability, you need to have a ridiculous work ethic, be incredibly fit and also mentally tough beyond belief! That's before you ever get near the big leagues, then you must compete with like athletes, genetic freaks and lads who I'd say are cycling banned substances (some not all). not to mention the obvious injury factor, each bout with the potential to twist, break, damage a limb in career ending style!!

basically you need to win the lotto in odds terms, as being a UFC champ, so I give respect to anyone who gets in an arses roar of a shot!! hype talker or not!!

I will say though, Conor has been on the late late show more times than in the UFC ring!!
    he should at least have a 3-1 ring v tubridy ratio!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

rusty cole wrote: »
    mines not a bashing comment but I think people should consider all the variable before lashing into any fighter. to even get to that level means all the planets have to practically align for you. think of what has to happen before you even get close to a shot.
    You need to be talented or at least have good natural ability, you need to have a ridiculous work ethic, be incredibly fit and also mentally tough beyond belief! That's before you ever get near the big leagues, then you must compete with like athletes, genetic freaks and lads who I'd say are cycling banned substances (some not all). not to mention the obvious injury factor, each bout with the potential to twist, break, damage a limb in career ending style!!

basically you need to win the lotto in odds terms, as being a UFC champ, so I give respect to anyone who gets in an arses roar of a shot!! hype talker or not!!

I will say though, Conor has been on the late late show more times than in the UFC ring!!
    he should at least have a 3-1 ring v tubridy ratio!!!

That really puts it into perspective how far the late late has fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

RTE spent last year getting him on the LLS only for TV3 to swoop in and claim rights to show his fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Thomas D wrote: »
    That really puts it into perspective how far the late late has fallen.

It was always sh1te, at least Conor is interesting. It's usually 2 hours of depressing illnesses and corrupt politicians. Never understood the thinking behind that sort of content on a Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

mcgregors walkout tshirt.

http://www.dethrone.com/collections/ready/products/mcgregor-black

fairly sh1te to be honest. much prefer the first one.

mcgregors walkout tshirt.

http://www.dethrone.com/collections/ready/products/mcgregor-black

fairly sh1te to be honest. much prefer the first one.

NO ONE makes tshirts as good as Conor tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

That wouldn't be bad if it didn't have the leprechaun on it. 99% of MMA t shirts are hideous looking yokes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Davei141 wrote: »
    That wouldn't be bad if it didn't have the leprechaun on it. 99% of MMA t shirts are hideous looking yokes anyway.

Do you even tshirt bro?

mirtshirt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Do you even tshirt bro?

mirtshirt.jpg

I rest my case your honour!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is that actually real?

Or a mockup designed to take the p out of MMA shirts?

It's got every cheesy MMA shirt cliché imaginable in there.

Skulls, bones, motorbikes, swords, axe, dragon, ace of spades, even a feckin rhino!

It brings up interesting subject

Who here wears UFC or tapout clothing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

dave1982 wrote: »

People that do UFC

Dancor wrote: »
    People that do UFC

Safer to stay away from them types

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

dave1982 wrote: »

The only 'MMA' clothing I wear is my rashguard when rolling! I have a friend who wears it, we call him Tapout :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

I've a tokyo five hoodie, but its pretty understated. I also have a "Water" t-shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have one of the UFC sherpa hoodies. Damn comfortable.

Did have a pair of tapout shorts for training, but I trained too hard and now they don't fit.

I have a pair of Hayabusa ones still.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement